Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Xabi Alonso Player Thread

Read 71510 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Xabi Alonso Player Thread
      Reply #506: May 09, 2009 11:23:39 pm
      18mill! That an insult in its own right so it is Xabi is worth damn near twice that
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #507: May 10, 2009 01:22:23 pm
      I'm getting sick to my teeth with stories linking Xabi with moves away, that rag of a paper the news of the world(saw the article on Liverpool newsnow) is running with story tomorrow that Barry is Benitez top target, it says Alonso is expected to leave and could make the move to Man City for 18 million, I'm really starting to worry about this story because more and more papers are starting to run with it, Xabi leaving. I would be gutted If Xabi was sold because I think he is one of the best passing midfielders in Europe, I think he has being our best player this season it would be criminal if he was allowed leave.
      What makes it harder to believe is the fact that they reckon Xabi is being sold to enable Rafa to get Barry,what sense does that make.
      shaunchef
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 746 posts | 11 
      • JFT96 YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #508: May 10, 2009 03:31:13 pm
      yeah seen it in the news of the world today, read it in the shop, wouldnt buy that piece of sh*t
      anyway, i hope its just another Man City pipe dream and the rag papers are goin to be full of similar stories all summer, saying that i think Raffa will try and cash in on Xabi sooner rather than later, all depends on what sort of budget the yanks give him

He was definately missed at times at west ham yesterday!!

please dont go Xabi :scarf:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,264 posts | 2825 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #509: May 10, 2009 03:48:11 pm
      All this sh*te talk can be put to bed 2 ways

1) Rafa says he's not selling him...to anyone
      2) Xabi saying he's not leaving.....to anyone
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      • 100% LFC, without doubt!
      Reply #510: May 10, 2009 04:43:15 pm
      What makes it harder to believe is the fact that they reckon Xabi is being sold to enable Rafa to get Barry,what sense does that make.

you are right!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #511: May 10, 2009 05:43:37 pm
      Xabi isn't leaving, full stop. Deep down, no matter how bad Rafa wants Barry, he knows he cant get rid of him. He's too good.

He said himself we need more quality while maintaining this squad, as clear a sign as any IMO that he'll stay.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #512: May 13, 2009 04:33:41 pm
      ALONSO HANDS REDS FITNESS BOOST
      Paul Eaton 13 May 2009
          Rafael Benitez expects to be able to call on the services of Xabi Alonso for Liverpool's final away game of the season at West Bromwich Albion on Sunday.
      The Spanish midfielder missed out on the weekend victory at West Ham with an ankle injury sustained following a wild tackle by Joey Barton in the Reds' previous game with Newcastle..

But Alonso is now back in training and should be available for the clash at The Hawthorns.

Manager Rafael Benitez confirmed: "Xabi was jogging today so if he progresses normally for the rest of the week I think he will be available for the weekend.

"Xabi is a key player for us in the middle. It could have been a lot worse so I am really pleased to see him back after just one week."

Benitez also confirmed Fernando Torres will be fit to play despite being substituted at Upton Park on Saturday.

"He was a little bit tired having not trained too much with the squad," added the boss. "He is okay and won't have any problems for the weekend."

Liverpool's Premier League dreams could be over before the game at West Brom, depending on how Manchester United fare in their next two games - against Wigan tonight and Arsenal on Saturday.

"I'll watch the game tonight if I can," he added. "Fingers crossed and we will see what happens.

"We are in a very good position and want to finish the season as high as possible. The only way to have a chance of winning the title is to win our next two games."
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1630 
      Reply #513: May 13, 2009 06:50:52 pm
      Will be right pissed if Xabi leaves to make way for Barry not in the same league IMO.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #514: May 15, 2009 11:58:32 am
      All the talk of Alonso going is garbage, if you sell , you sell to improve your squad by replacing him with a better player. I cant see anyone better at running Liverpools midfield than Xabi Alonso. Anything else just don't make sense. And Rafa knows this.
      The only reason Alonso was even thought to be off last season was because hed had a couple of poor seasons by his standards, but that has been put to bed through his top class performances for us this year. What i mean is maybe Rafa thought at this time last year that Barry would be better in the middle for us , but not now.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #515: May 16, 2009 03:52:00 pm
      Anyone seen today's Liverpool Echo, cracking headline on the back page:

Xabi' Stays.

So all the talk of him being sold is bullshit!

Xabi Stays

The 27-year-old’s future has been the subject of much speculation in recent weeks with Arsenal, Manchester City and Real Madrid all linked with a move for the Spaniard.

Alonso, who is fit to return to the squad for tomorrow’s clash at West Brom, has enjoyed an impressive campaign at the heart of Liverpool’s midfield.

And the Reds boss has ruled out sacrificing him to fund any squad rebuilding.

“Xabi has been doing really well this season,” Benitez said.

“He’s a key player for us and with him being fit again it will give us a different option in midfield.

“Xabi has been talking about how he wants to stay here and we certainly want to keep him so I don’t think there will be any problems.”

Meanwhile, Benitez has criticised the Premier League for failing to ensure clubs kick-off at the same time this weekend.

Manchester United need just a point from their home clash with Arsenal today to be crowned champions ahead of Liverpool’s trip to the Midlands tomorrow

Benitez wants the last two weekend schedules of the season to be played at the same time, rather than just the last day as it is now.

“This is a strange situation, having games so close to the end of the season on different days,” he said. “It is something that should be improved in the future.

“For the last two weeks of the season, teams fighting for the title or to avoid relegation should have their matches all at the same time.

“The last two games should be the same for everyone, in Spain it is like this.”

West Brom, who haven’t beaten Liverpool since 1981, must win tomorrow if they are going to keep their survival bid alive.

Benitez believes Baggies boss Tony Mowbray deserves praise for persisting with an attacking style despite their relegation battle.

“For West Brom it has been very difficult, always fighting against relegation,” Benitez said.

“And it is a pity because they try to play good football.

“You look at some teams at the bottom of the table and they play long ball, physical and a different style. It all depends on the players you have.

“It is unfair to criticise Tony Mowbray for trying to play good football. Each manager has his own ideas on style, and you have to respect what people do.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/05/16/liverpool-fc-s-xabi-alonso-will-stay-at-anfield-says-rafa-benitez-100252-23635558/
      « Last Edit: May 16, 2009 04:33:43 pm by HUYTON RED »
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Reply #516: May 16, 2009 04:38:31 pm
      Alright!! Now I am never going to pay any attention to anything that says Xabi will leave!!United won the title ,but we have had two promising news today ..first Segura joining and second Xabi assured to stay!!
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #517: May 16, 2009 04:58:02 pm
      Inever doubted it, nice 1
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #518: Jun 03, 2009 09:00:29 am
      So Barry has signed for City to play in the champions league for the money.

If this means we are keeping Xabi then I for one will not shed any tears.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #519: Jun 03, 2009 10:24:46 am
      Ive had the night to let it sink in about Barry going to City, Fu*kin made up , now c'mon Xabi keep your good work up!
      Edwin9
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #520: Jun 03, 2009 11:28:14 am
      Upon receiving the text from my friend that Barry's chosen City, I burst into an evil laugh thinking Hee... Xabi's ours to keep!
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #521: Jun 03, 2009 11:34:05 am
      That's right. Sign an extension so that all of us including the market can get on with life.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #522: Jun 03, 2009 11:56:30 am
      So much for Barry wanting to play his football for a top 4 team, I hope they finish outside the euro spots, another bloody mercenary. At least Rafa knows where he stands and I will say, thank god Xabi loves this club, with all the uncertainty that's gone on over this season and now Madrid putting Xabi's name out as one they want to sign. I hope any sale at any price is now off the agenda and Xabi is staying put.....
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #523: Jun 03, 2009 12:03:20 pm
      I appreciate no player is bigger than the club, but I have to admit having had trouble trying to imagine our team next season without Alonso.

We could have tried to replace him for a similar player, but I don't think anyone could do his job quite as well as Xabi himself, and wasn't looking forward to us having to possibly change formation when we've found one that suits the team so well.

I really hope any further speculation is put to rest now Barry is out of the picture.

Contract extension?  :f_whistle:
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #524: Jun 03, 2009 12:05:44 pm
      I'm all for contract extension! We should keep him at any cost.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #525: Jun 03, 2009 12:07:50 pm
      Totally agree with you Ayrton, definitely a contract extension. :)
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #526: Jun 03, 2009 12:09:06 pm
      Totally agree with you Ayrton, definitely a contract extension. :)

I'll get on the blower to Rafa straight away. ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #527: Jun 03, 2009 12:27:42 pm
      If we wanted Barry this season, we would have had City to compete with. Says it all really, not good enough.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #528: Jun 04, 2009 01:09:50 am
      That's right. Sign an extension so that all of us including the market can get on with life.

Is right mate.

Just want to put the Xabi situation to bed so that we can all stop stressing about it and finally get to enjoy the thought of who we are going to GET in this transfer window.

Quick Reply