Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Spirit of Shankly

Read 20685 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Sons of Shankly
      Reply #23: Mar 11, 2008 07:01:13 pm
      I haven't joined, and have decided not to.  However that is not to say that I do not fully support vast swathes of their aims and suggestions of methods.

However I don't see why we need to pay ÂŁ10 to 'join' this group who's shorter term aims include:

- To institute a functioning structure for the Sons Of Shankly
      and
      - To improve the standard and value of travel arrangements for Liverpool FC’s supporters.

A committee of 'super-fans' is not high on my agenda - replacing the morons running our club is.
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #24: Mar 11, 2008 10:14:53 pm
      I haven't joined, and have decided not to.  However that is not to say that I do not fully support vast swathes of their aims and suggestions of methods.

However I don't see why we need to pay ÂŁ10 to 'join' this group who's shorter term aims include:

- To institute a functioning structure for the Sons Of Shankly
      and
      - To improve the standard and value of travel arrangements for Liverpool FC’s supporters.

A committee of 'super-fans' is not high on my agenda - replacing the morons running our club is.

Totally agree JD mate, top reply, i think i'll pass for the time being then!

YNWA

Matt
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #25: Mar 17, 2008 05:07:55 pm
      Link to article

Mar 17 2008 by Nick Coligan, Liverpool Echo

HUNDREDS of Liverpool fans staged a noisy protest against the club’s American owners at Anfield on Saturday.

They converged outside the directors’ entrance, behind the Main Stand, at around 2.15pm to make their feelings known about Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

Supporters said it was the most vocal demonstration so far against the billionaire tycoons, whose running of the club has repeatedly sparked anger.

Although the protest passed peacefully and was over before the Reds kicked off against Reading, witnesses reported seeing red distress flares set off in a very visible show of discontent.

One fan said: “It was loud and angry, but it was well-behaved and well-marshalled.

“The message was loud and clear to the American owners – feelings against them are as strong as ever.

“Certainly the fans demonstrating on Saturday want them out as much as they ever did.”

Earlier in the day, hundreds of fans had attended a meeting of the Spirit Of Shankly (SOS) supporters’ union at the Olympia, in West Derby Road.

They ratified the organisation’s constitution and voted to approach legendary manager Bill Shankly’s granddaughter Karen Gill about becoming its patron.

SOS chairman Nicky Alt read out a statement from Ms Gill, in which she thanked the union’s members for naming it after her grandfather.

She added: “In these times of corporate gluttony, I am truly heartened to discover that there are still so many people who embody my granddad’s spirit.

“It’s an Olympic spirit – passionate pure and true. It’s a dream of greatness and glory which comes from dedication, hard work and integrity. In this dream, money is only a means to an end, it’s not the end itself.

“My granddad had a dream for Liverpool Football Club and you are all helping to keep that dream alive.

“We know Bill Shankly ‘made the people happy’, but I know that you would have all made him happy were he alive to see this legendary support today.

“I speak on behalf of the Shankly family when I say that we are wholeheartedly behind the Sprit Of Shankly.”

Did anyone witness the protest before Saturdays game?

It's nice to see some words from Karen Gill. I hope it keeps the Spirit Of Shankly's perspective on the aims of our club as priority.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Spirit of Shankly
      Reply #26: Mar 18, 2008 01:28:09 am
      Are they still wanting a tenner to 'sign up'?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #27: Mar 18, 2008 01:50:00 am
      Well as far as I see it, you don't need to pay anything to try get involved with meetings at the Olympia or any protests etc. It's the word of mouth which concerns me the most, because there doesn't seem all that much of it. And that's where the tenner probably comes in along with other 'benefits'.

Nobody who cares about the club should be excluded if they don't want to pay a tenner though.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #28: Mar 18, 2008 05:16:54 pm
      Agree with you redkenny, word of mouth is not very effective in mustering mass support,I for one would have joined the protest if I had known about it. Why are they not posting on fans web sites such as this. For me a tenner is not an issue but I would prefer to see it used to finance anti H&G propaganda, banners etc., because one thing that we are all agreed on is the removal of those two nomarks as soon as possible.

IRWT
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #29: Mar 18, 2008 05:58:35 pm
      Agree with you redkenny, word of mouth is not very effective in mustering mass support,I for one would have joined the protest if I had known about it. Why are they not posting on fans web sites such as this. For me a tenner is not an issue but I would prefer to see it used to finance anti H&G propaganda, banners etc., because one thing that we are all agreed on is the removal of those two nomarks as soon as possible.

IRWT

A point I totally agree with.  When the protests in support of Rafa were planned (when it looked like he had one game to left to avoid being sacked) we were fully informed and published an article on the site with a map etc and there was plenty of discussion before the event on here.

This Spirit of Shankly thing, despite me agreeing with the principles of it, seems to already turning in to a cliquey group, and most match-going fans I know already think its a farce.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #30: Mar 18, 2008 06:47:18 pm
      I've heard that DIC will be in charge of Liverpool by next season.
      Hicks will sell his stake to them before this season finishes.

You heard it hear first  ;)
      tommo that is the only scenario that can happen,even Hicks cannot be that thick to hang on to a lost cause which could eventually cost him money.Also his refinance deal was for only 18 months and then he will be in big trouble.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #31: Mar 19, 2008 09:03:42 am
      Here's the statement issued by Bill Shankly's grandaughter:-

STATEMENT FROM KAREN GILL

First I would like to thank each and every one of you for honouring my grandfather’s name by calling this Union ‘The Spirit Of Shankly.’

For me though it’s more than just honouring his name. In these times of corporate gluttony I am truly heartened to discover that there are still so many people who embody my granddad’s spirit. It’s an Olympic spirit: passionate pure and true. It’s a dream of greatness and glory which comes from dedication, hard work and integrity. In this dream, money is only a means to an end, it’s not the end itself.

My granddad had a dream for Liverpool Football Club and you are all helping to keep that dream alive. It’s the people with dreams who achieve things in the end because they have a vision which drives them on.

We know Bill Shankly “made the people happy”, but I know that you would have all made him happy were he alive to see this legendary support today.

I speak on behalf of the Shankly family when I say that we are wholeheartedly behind The Sprit Of Shankly.

Karen Gill March 2008

It was read out by her at the last meeting of "THE SPIRIT OF SHANKLY" by Karen, who has been approach to be the groups paton.
      (apologies if it has already been posted somewhere)

I think the statement is very touching.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #32: Apr 23, 2008 11:40:18 pm
      Just wondered what's happening with this group these days?

Why was there no protest outside the Main Stand/Anfield Road post Chelsea game?

I saw the pictures in the Echo of 40 fellas 'digging' up Stanley Park as if to say 'Where's our stadium?'

Just interested to know where everybody's 10 pounds for signing up went? 
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #33: Apr 24, 2008 12:16:02 am
      I saw the pictures in the Echo of 40 fellas 'digging' up Stanley Park as if to say 'Where's our stadium?'

I seen that too. I've got a high vis - and no, it's by no way an association to the Village People. I would have went down to Stanley Park and stood there with a shovel (if I wasn't busy.....), but I had no idea of that happening.
      My point is, do you only get to know about these things if you pay that ten quid? Doesn't this point to some sort of division between fellow reds who share a common aim of getting rid of Hicks and co?
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #34: Apr 25, 2008 01:44:23 pm
      I seen that too. I've got a high vis - and no, it's by no way an association to the Village People. I would have went down to Stanley Park and stood there with a shovel (if I wasn't busy.....), but I had no idea of that happening.
      My point is, do you only get to know about these things if you pay that ten quid? Doesn't this point to some sort of division between fellow reds who share a common aim of getting rid of Hicks and co?
      Good point redkenny, however, I don't think their intention is to create division between fellow reds, but surely they should have a representative contributing information to fans websites such as ours. So come on Spirit Of Shankly, live up to the meaning of your name, be inclusive to all LFC fans around the world and post info on here or at least get info to the sites moderators which they can pass on, you never Know you might even get new members, you will certainly have more credability.
      IRWT
      IDIC we pray.
      kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson

• 216 posts | 10 
      • Spirit of Shankly/Liverpool Supporters Union
      Reply #35: Apr 26, 2008 01:29:35 pm
      Hello I haven't posted here for a long while, but here goes.

I don't represent the working committee of Spirit of Shankly, I'm just a member who's paid my £10 subscription. I've been to all the mass meetings, marches and protests so far, though I didn't participate in the brilliant mock ‘Dig’ in Stanley Park where Spirit of Shankly satirically began work on the new stadium 440 days after it was promised that spades would be in the ground in 60 days.”

These are the aims of the Union, as agreed and voted upon in the first mass meeting:

CONSTANT AIMS
      •   To represent the best interests of our members and by extension the best interests of the supporters of Liverpool Football Club on both the local and international level.
      •   To hold whoever owns the football club to account.
      IMMEDIATE AIM
      •   To rid the club of Tom Hicks and George Gillett.
      SHORT TERM AIMS
      •   To institute a functioning structure for the Spirit Of Shankly.
      •   To create long lasting relationships with all aspects of Liverpool FC’s supporting community.
      •   To improve the quality of service for Liverpool FC's supporters.
      •   To improve the standard and value of travel arrangements for Liverpool FC’s supporters.
      MEDIUM TERM AIMS
      •   To work with any relevant agencies to improve the area of Anfield.
      •   To build links with grassroots supporter groups both home and abroad.
      LONG TERM AIM
      •   To bring about supporter representation at board room level.
      ULTIMATE AIM
      •   Supporter ownership of Liverpool Football Club.

Sadly many of you seem not to know that much about the Union, the sporadic information is down to the fact that the SOS lads are all doing it part time while holding down other jobs. Much of what their doing at the moment is Ad hock and reactive, simply because of the unpredictable nature of our Club's Boardroom shenanigans. Hopefully after Hicks and Gillett are gone, the Union can focus on trying to help sort out the Ticket office/system, the travel arrangements for fans and other important issues that affect Liverpool Supporters.

Forming such a Union is a slow process, first they had to set up a legal constitution (they cannot be a Union without one),
      they have to have a bank account to deposit and process the subscriptions (they cannot have a bank account without a legal constitution). I understand that the Constitution has been ratified and that the bank account is close to being sorted. A non profit company called EDT have been appointed to administer and process the membership applications.( By law all postal membership applications had to remain unopened and the money had to stay in EDT's safe until the Constitution and bank account were up and running)
      The website is also being updated and eventually expanded, I'm sure their lines of communication will vastly improve once that's completed.

MODS: Perhaps a permanent link/sticky on this site to www.spiritofshankly.com would help the members of Anfield Online who want to know more about the Union, to do so more easily and aid the flow of information  ??.

There are also concerns where the ÂŁ10 membership fee goes, that's understandable.
       I understand that EDT take a small fee to cover administration costs on behalf of the Union, when the memberships are processed , I’m told we will receive a pin badge, a membership card and a newsletter. Part of the ÂŁ10 will also help the Union organise cheaper travel for fans by chartering their own coaches and Flights, instead of the extortionate prices fans currently pay out on matchdays home and abroad.
      I also imagine the money for flyers, posters, possible media campaigns like newspaper ads e.t.c would come out of the membership fee. If you join any Union you usually have to pay subs, it's no different in that regard.

It appears that Spirit of Shankly sadly don't post their statements or press releases on this site, They do on Red and White Kop, Red All Over The Land and The Liverpool Way sites. Should I try and mention Anfield Online to one of the SOS lads, so that they would post statements on here as well maybe?.  I'm sure they want all Liverpool fans to be informed about what's going on. They should make sure all forums have the same information. There have been a few teething problems and mistakes along the way but the Union is only a few months old and in a few months it will be on a much firmer footing to be able to work and communicate more effectively.

I'll leave you with some good news and a positive statement  by the Union prior to the Chelsea game:

Later on in the evening(Tuesday), representatives of SOS met with representatives of DIC, led by Amanda Staveley. We felt that as "A meeting of minds” it went very well. We had a long, thorough discussion about supporters being better represented within the football club. We came away feeling not only listened to but engaged with and we're very hopeful we will continue that discussion at a later date. We were also told DIC hold the manager in very high regard.

YNWA my fellow Reds. 
      « Last Edit: Apr 26, 2008 01:38:32 pm by kingjari »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #36: Apr 26, 2008 01:33:26 pm
      It appears that Spirit of Shankly sadly don't post their statements or press releases on this site, They do on Red and White Kop, Red All Over The Land and The Liverpool Way sites. Should I try and mention Anfield Online to one of the SOS lads, so that they would post statements on here as well maybe?.  I'm sure they want all Liverpool fans to be informed about what's going on. They should make sure all forums have the same information.

Indeed they should.  I actually contacted someone giving our support a while back.  It really doesn't take much thought to add an extra email address to an email, or to copy and paste a forum post on to another board.

This should be going on to as many LFC websites as possible.  Not just here, but worldwide.

And even on the website for instance, I can't even 'view all photos' from last weeks event without needing to sign up to a Flickr account! I mean, come on.
      kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson

• 216 posts | 10 
      • Spirit of Shankly/Liverpool Supporters Union
      Reply #37: Apr 26, 2008 01:48:20 pm
      Indeed they should.  I actually contacted someone giving our support a while back.  It really doesn't take much thought to add an extra email address to an email, or to copy and paste a forum post on to another board.

This should be going on to as many LFC websites as possible.  Not just here, but worldwide.

And even on the website for instance, I can't even 'view all photos' from last weeks event without needing to sign up to a Flickr account! I mean, come on.

Fair enough mate, as I said I don't speak for the SOS committee so I could'nt say why they did'nt take up your offer, strange that. That Flickr account thing is sh*te, there are quite a few things they could do better or more efficiently TBH, but as I said as an organisation its still in it's infancy and it will take time to get things right. I think We just need a bit of patience and faith JD mate.   YNWA
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #38: Jun 08, 2008 07:39:50 pm
      A few pics from todays demo.

What's everyones thoughts then? Did anyone go? Did anyone not even know about what was going on today?

smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #39: Jun 08, 2008 07:50:41 pm
      Just seen them Ken, wonder if it will have much effect though?  I don't think anything will get rid of these 2 shisters !!  Think were gonna have to nuke them  ;) :D :D

Not a bad turn out though  ;)
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #40: Jun 08, 2008 08:32:42 pm
      If it's been repossessed have they got fan guards on the gates 24/7?  This won't do anything.  They (G&H) know we hate them.  That is the only message that is being put across.

They're all probably back at home watching the Euros with their feet up, thinking a job well done.

:-\
      « Last Edit: Jun 08, 2008 08:34:59 pm by Court LFC »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #41: Jun 08, 2008 09:09:04 pm
      They're all probably back at home watching the Euros with their feet up, thinking a job well done.

:-\

You're probably right there mate.

I can totally understand why people feel the need to resort to such things. We all want our club back. But the cold hard fact is that these two knobs will only take notice by being hit hard in the pocket from the fans. But that's unlikely to happen because we'll always support our team through thick and thin. It's like a catch 22 situation.

By all means continue to send a message out, but it would be nice if a few more people could join in. It seems that there's only a select few websites or forums where you can 'search' for information. And then there's so many reds who don't have access or don't bother with the internet.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #42: Jun 08, 2008 09:22:37 pm
      Honest to god though.  What are they thinking?  The yanks are thousands of miles away, bathing in the money WE genorated.

G&H probably haven't batted an eye lid all week to see what the club is up to.  They only send emails anyway.

So it's absolutely pointless waving around eviction notes and putting padlocks on the gates, I mean come on.  Desperate measures?  That's what it sounds like to me.

Gillette best be talking to DIC about his stake in the club.  Poor old Tom can't do a thing.  It must be driving Hicks round the bend.  ;)
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #43: Jun 08, 2008 09:25:53 pm
      Nice one like the eviction notices too, I cant see what difference this will make as not enough publicity has been made of it on a national level.
      However burning 2 effigies of Hicks & Gillet outside anfield would have had an effect along with the burning of the Texan Flag or US flag we would have got more attention that way I think..
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #44: Jun 08, 2008 09:36:10 pm
      Nice one like the eviction notices too, I cant see what difference this will make as not enough publicity has been made of it on a national level.
      However burning 2 effigies of Hicks & Gillet outside anfield would have had an effect along with the burning of the Texan Flag or US flag we would have got more attention that way I think..

Why bother with effigies ?   >:D >:D
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #45: Jun 08, 2008 09:47:40 pm
      Not that clever in my book... a public letter putting Gillett on the spot would have been wiser... but hey all efforts count.

The club, off the park, is in a right mess lads.... wait until you hear about the club's accounts.

Quick Reply