Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Is it a good idea?

Yes
      (11.8%)
      No
      (80.9%)
      Not bothered
      (7.3%)

VOTE: 39 Games and Overseas Matches for Premiership?

Read 10043 times
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      VOTE: 39 Games and Overseas Matches for Premiership?
      Feb 07, 2008 12:51:25 pm

TOP CLUBS CONSIDER OVERSEAS GAMES !

The English Premier League is considering playing some matches overseas, BBC Sport has learned.
      At a meeting in London on Thursday, all 20 clubs agreed to explore a proposal to extend the season to 39 games.

Those 10 extra games would be played at venues around the world, with cities bidding for the right to stage them.

It is understood the additional fixtures could be determined by a draw but that the top-five teams could be seeded to avoid playing each other.

It is unlikely that any decision will be taken before the Premier League's annual summer meeting in June.

Should the proposal get the go-ahead, cities in Asia, Middle East and North America are likely to show a strong interest in hosting the extra games.

BBC Sport believes there would be five venues, with two games - on a Saturday and Sunday - taking place at each one.

This is just another money making juggernaut (SKY TV ?)  we already have the likes of Slur alex furguson and Arsehole Wenger complaining of excess games and too many games in too short a time and wanting a winter break !
      what will be there excuses for failing to fetch "old big ears " home  (unlike us ! ;D)

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2008 04:18:49 pm by redkenny »
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Re: 39 games , overeseas matches,whatever next !
      Reply #1: Feb 07, 2008 12:59:07 pm
      Please can Everton go to Siberia?........ oh hang on no we will only have to listen for another twenty years as they tell us how they would have won the European cup! ;)

Don't you get the feeling the Premier league are starting to overstretch and its only a matter of time before it all blows up in their faces?..... Super league anyone?
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #2: Feb 07, 2008 01:05:54 pm
      Afternoon Glenbuck, we already have a so called superleague due to Fifa farting about with the European cup, we have nearly half of the premier league playing in Europe due to the Intertoto Cup and fairplay league !
      It's just another money making scheme from the league ! :f_steam:
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #3: Feb 07, 2008 01:06:38 pm
      Please can Everton go to Siberia?........ oh hang on no we will only have to listen for another twenty years as they tell us how they would have won the European cup! ;)

Don't you get the feeling the Premier league are starting to overstretch and its only a matter of time before it all blows up in their faces?..... Super league anyone?

Leave it be I say any more games that have to be played in addition to european cup games, carling cup, fa cup AND international games in the summer the players are gonna be exhausted half way through let alone season end!

It's all about the money though ain't it? I read that ESPN are gonna fight Sky for the rights to show the premiership games in 2009, where will it stop?

CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #4: Feb 07, 2008 02:23:03 pm
      It's all a bit far fetched! Very NFL of them! ::) Everythings becoming too Americanised!

I remember the days when I used to watch the footy of a weekend with me cousins and that was that. Now it's all Sky this, Setanta that and BBC the other! ::) I know it's all about the money but we are the ones paying for it so can't we demand a bit more convenience?
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Re: VOTE: 39 Games and Overeseas Matches for Premiership?
      Reply #5: Feb 07, 2008 04:02:51 pm
      It's those goddam Yanks, they don't just want our clubs, ala Hicks & Gillett ,they want our bloody leagues now ! :f_steam:
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Feb 07, 2008 04:11:14 pm
      As far as I'm concerned I think it favours everyone else apart from the fans who live in England. And playing a home game in Japan wouldn't be a home game. Mad to think the win would get you three points in the league.

But it would favour the likes of AussieRed, crouchinho etc if we play a home game over their way.

Suppose the league is a victim of it's own success. It shouldn't be getting messed round with and should be left at home where it belongs. But seeing as it's considered one of the best in the world then people will want to sell it.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #7: Feb 07, 2008 04:17:05 pm
      It's a ridiculous concept and one in which i hope never comes to fruition. 

Playing a home game outside of Liverpool , never mind the continent would be a disgrace.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: VOTE: 39 Games and Overseas Matches for Premiership?
      Reply #8: Feb 07, 2008 04:56:16 pm
      When does it all stop ?  A home game is just what it says on the tin "A Home Game' !!  What about all the season ticket holders who want to attend, will be costing them a fortune, bad idea me thinks  ;)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,264 posts | 2825 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #9: Feb 07, 2008 05:18:04 pm
      joke this isnt it? They already complain theres too many games now they want to add one and make the teams travel around the world to play it!!

Too many knobs in charge of things like the FA UEFA and FIFA. If they want to change something in the game how about making tickets cheaper and easier to get for real fans. Jesus christ money grabbing bas**rds 
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #10: Feb 07, 2008 05:29:39 pm
      On a purely selfish level I am totally for it. Living here in LA I will get the chance to finally see a decent game in the flesh.

It will allow me the chance to take my nephews along to show them what has obsessed their footy mad uncle all his life! They will get in to it and so the football world gains more fans and more momentum in the US.

Financially....think how much money LFC make every year from merchandising around the world, especially in Asia? Playing a competitive game will bring in so much money, increase the brand name and alleviate the debt upon our great club.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #11: Feb 07, 2008 06:50:53 pm
      I voted no as this is a complete reversal to what the league has been doing for a number of years.It does not seem that long ago when we played 42 games a season in the old 1st division but the F.A had us believe that the standard of football would improve when the numbers were cut back.On top of this we have to contend with losing players for useless International friendlies. If they brought back the old central league system where every premier league club had a team in the central league it would be more beneficual  to the clubs and the players,also it would make it easier for players to step up to the 1st team.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #12: Feb 07, 2008 06:55:24 pm
      Is it counted as a league game?

If so no because certain teams will obviously get a team more difficult than their rivals.
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #13: Feb 07, 2008 07:00:00 pm
      As I said to MsGerrard earlier, why not play the FA Cup semi-final's abroad, after all they are on neutral ground, and by that point it is basically a Premier League match anyway.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #14: Feb 07, 2008 07:05:31 pm
      As I said to MsGerrard earlier, why not play the FA Cup semi-final's abroad, after all they are on neutral ground, and by that point it is basically a Premier League match anyway.
      The only problem I see with that is there is still league matches to play and if they have to play half way around the world think of the effect jet lag would have on the players.Most European games  are handy compared to some of these far flung places.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #15: Feb 07, 2008 07:06:02 pm
      certain teams will obviously get a team more difficult than their rivals.

I agree with you on this point... Imagine that we were having a similar season to this one, and we got bumped out of a Champion's League spot because of this fiasco! Doesn't bear thinking about...

This works both ways too, teams could find themselves in a relegation spot after the 39th game, especially due to the "seeding" system mentioned. (This doesn't affect LFC of course  ;) )
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #16: Feb 07, 2008 08:27:38 pm
      Daft idea, when will the seeded be done, what if a poor team as a great season and visa versa, what about cup games, FA or Euro, Jet lag, just a MONEY making scheme for the fat cats. How will the teams home fans get there? what about the difference in weather/humidity? Daft Daft Daft.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #17: Feb 07, 2008 08:34:39 pm

Because if you've been to all the rounds of the FA Cup, you certainly want to be going to the Semi Final and most people wouldn't be able to afford to travel abroad to see one of the most important games of the season, I'd be well peeved if I couldn't see the Reds beat Chelsea again  ;)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #18: Feb 07, 2008 08:36:45 pm
      I've voted yes, because the Premiership product is the best in the world... and it's inevitable with so many american owners now.

I actually like the idea - but on a rotation basis, not the same clubs going all the time - which would be my main concern.

LFC = Global Brand - that is the reality we all have to live with from now on.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #19: Feb 07, 2008 08:43:08 pm
      Daft idea, when will the seeded be done, what if a poor team as a great season and visa versa, what about cup games, FA or Euro, Jet lag, just a MONEY making scheme for the fat cats. How will the teams home fans get there? what about the difference in weather/humidity? Daft Daft Daft.

It is daft. But as you say Puppy, it brings money to the fat cats. Money talks, fans pay.

What if you've saved all year to renew your season ticket but then you have to cough up possibly as much as, or even more than what your season ticket costs, just to go to one game in the league. That's not fair is it?!

Another snub for the working class fan.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #20: Feb 07, 2008 08:45:03 pm
      Another snub for the working class fan.

Fully agree, but what the money don't understand that if they continue to divorce the working class from the sport - the sport WILL eventually die... of that I have no doubt... because live stadium footy is a drug, that if you can't experience as a child - you don't miss an adult ...and there my friends is the mid-to-long-term death of the game.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #21: Feb 07, 2008 09:26:46 pm
      It was inevitable with all the money in the English league they were bound to try & take it multi-national.

If they want to do anything they should do a tournament at the end of the season between say the top 8 clubs, and host this competition around the world. This would a) give the money men what they want without corrupting the league, and b) give clubs outside the top 4 the chance to make some real money. I'd rather things would stay as they are but understand they're probably not going to anyway.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,653 posts | 6948 
      Reply #22: Feb 07, 2008 09:43:07 pm
      Silly F***ing idea.  What are they going to do - have the potential Premiership deciders on the other side of the planet?

Not on.  Not on at all.

At the end of the day it is the fans who pay for the SKY and the football tickets.  Maybe a pre-emptive threat to cancel Sky Subscriptions during the course of the event may be an interesting suggestion?

Quick Reply