Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Is it a good idea?

Yes
      (11.8%)
      No
      (80.9%)
      Not bothered
      (7.3%)

VOTE: 39 Games and Overseas Matches for Premiership?

Read 10041 times
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Re: VOTE: 39 Games and Overseas Matches for Premiership?
      Reply #23: Feb 07, 2008 09:53:59 pm
      F***ing ridiculous.

How can one team play Liverpool/chelsea/arsenal/mancs 3 times in one season, not fair on the smaller teams. And will anyone outside of england even heard of Middlesborough vs Birmingham?

It's all to americanised for me, money grapping tw*ts!
      stiffler
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 137 posts |
      Reply #24: Feb 07, 2008 10:40:46 pm
      Im only up for it if Liverpool play their overseas game in Ireland everytime!! :D
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #25: Feb 08, 2008 01:39:33 am
       ::) nah, only if they play in Australia at the MCG all the time ;)

Seriously though, it's a sh*t idea. It's called the English Premiere League....it should be played in England. I don't want our players travelling 30 hours to play for 90 mins then go all the way back to be ready to play another game in a few days time. What a load of sh*t. 

Having said that, If it did happen and it probably will, I wouldn't miss it for the world. The only positive I feel, is that at least all you scousers coming downunder have got a guaranteed place to stay.  :drink: :ernaehrung004: :food-smiley-005:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #26: Feb 08, 2008 04:44:16 am
      But it would favour the likes of AussieRed, crouchinho etc if we play a home game over their way.

Be a dream come true to see the mighty Reds live, would have to play at the home of REAL sport, Sydney which can fit 80 000 plus but will  probably be played in Melbourne with their 100 000 seater.

Money making scheme though, serves no purpose, going overboard now with all these matches. The only way i would say yes was if they scrapped the international week.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #27: Feb 08, 2008 05:09:27 am
      That would be great for me. I wouldnt miss it for the world. But i hope it's in Sydney so i could see it.

But if it does happen, it should happen at the beginning of the season maybe coz then it's not during the make or break matches. Should be a liverpool away game.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #28: Feb 08, 2008 08:11:49 am
      they are trying to compete with the NFL by taking proper games global instead of just friendlies. Greed is good someone said, but did they forget to mention greed maybe good but it will F**k the game over. Stupid Idea imho yet again the game is wrenched even further away from the common people and placed even more in the hands of corperate giants who have dollor signs in their eyes.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #29: Feb 08, 2008 08:22:03 am
      Yet another example of "globalization" It'll begin with a couple of games per annum, and if is a big enough financial success, then within ten years 50% of games will be played globally. Why else is big business acquiring football clubs, sorry I mean franchises!
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #30: Feb 08, 2008 09:22:27 am
      Money, Merchandising etc .....

Is this not the reason why all the big clubs in Europe got to the States or the Far East for these mini tournaments ???

The pre-season gives the chance for global fans to see the likes of top European clubs playing each other. And these mini-tournament formats are taken fairly seriously and aren't just kickabouts.

The pre-season tours give the clubs a chance to kill two birds with one stone, they get plenty of chance to advertise themsleves abroad without disrupting the season pointlessly and the fans get to see their heroes.

I feel for the fans who are abroad and I hope they all get to experience to see the mighty Reds in person but this is why we are called  Liverpool, the club is based in Liverpool and why the English Premier League is based in England.

I really can't see how the idea is feasible.
      StevieGforce
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #31: Feb 08, 2008 07:32:49 pm
      Who are the 7 voters for yes!!!!!!
      This is a nonsense idea, created purely for the finances of the Premier league.
      From what i understand the top 5 teams are to be seeded, but that could mean that ant of these play the 6th place team 3 times, and one of the other seeds could play derby 3 times, it is unfair, and therefore cannot be passed surely?

Also, at a time when everyone is banging on about a winter break, the premier league stick another fixture bang in the middle of winter.

Another scenario, go back a couple of years to when Arsenal were flying in the league and Bergkamp was there best player. THE MAN WONT FLY!! How could Wenger play a English premier league game without his star man?

Having said all this, i can see this happening. Money talks.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #32: Feb 08, 2008 11:15:47 pm
      7 Votes for yes ! This can only be from Gillet, Hicks, and families can't it. :lmao:
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #33: Feb 08, 2008 11:48:38 pm
      Sidney 2010 Saturday KO 3pm the match is Man Yuk  v  LFC.Its taken 26 hours to get here (we left on sun)got here Tues and acclimatised and when the match is over we have to travel 26 hours back.We'll be back late on Monday or early Tues morning so we can acclimatise again for Sat.

Get real FA unless you have some magic formula for travel how can you make the teams play more games and at the same time some teams would only be able to play once in two weeks.The better way forward is to reduce the number of games to 32 so players only play once a week and on Champion League games once in ten days and the following Saturday that way our players would have far less injuries and we would see the best they have to give as they would always be fresh with 1 game a week.Thats the way forward not some half baked idea cooked up in some TV studio......
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #34: Feb 09, 2008 01:32:07 am
      I'm already sick of it.

It's early days yet, but I'm desperate to hear some players views on it - bet anyone any money they are not allowed to speak a word of it.

If they're all for it, then the people who've been paying their wages 'on home soil' for many years should consider their match ticket one day. It's a disgrace.

I doubt any players, managers or clubs would like to be travelling around the world for 38 games and have one game in England. How many times will 'the fan' have to travel round the world?

But once one game happens, it opens the door for the money men to exploit...

No offence to our foreign members here. But if you want to see the top English league, come to England. It wont be the same in another country. Guaranteed.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #35: Feb 09, 2008 08:11:40 am
      Bad idea were will it stop?we start of with playing 1 game abroad then it will be 2 and so on,and whos gonna want to go and watch say Fulham v Reading in say Los Angeles?
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #36: Feb 09, 2008 09:16:49 am
      The thing that made me laugh out loud at this is the way Ferguson sound bites he is disgusted he was not personnally consulted about the matter. FOR F**k SAKE who the hell does that w**ker think he is.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #37: Feb 09, 2008 12:21:45 pm
      I can see why fergie is annoyed. The papers are claiming all managers and teams were consulted about it and agreed to the idea and he is stating he didnt.

I think if this kind of thing is going to be introduced they should just make one of each teams pre season matches against premiership opposition. Either that or nothing in my books.
      Ray Clemence
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #38: Feb 09, 2008 12:24:51 pm
      A VERY bad idea! There is enough matches already now for the players, it must be time for the players to have some vacation also, this is just another thing just to earn some extra money.

Players has to rest and have time off.
      Walk-wright-on
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts | 13 
      • FSG - The future is bright!!
      Reply #39: Feb 10, 2008 11:12:38 am
      Stop the greedy chairmen and sign the petition!!

http://www.fsf.org.uk/petitions/no-to-game-39/index.php
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      Reply #40: Feb 10, 2008 11:28:28 am
      signed
      streety893
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts | -3 
      • Theres always hope in our hearts
      Reply #41: Feb 10, 2008 12:41:40 pm
      This whole idea is barking mad
      We do enough touring in pre seaon

THE FAT CATS JUST WANT TO GET FATTER!!!!

MONEY MONEY MONEY WHERE WILL IT END

SIMPLY NO NO NO

lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      Reply #42: Feb 10, 2008 01:18:09 pm
      If this comes into practice then that will be the day when football will be killed, the same old F.A. trying to take over the world, just another way to make profits, fans dont exist any more, we are just the people who give money the whole idea is an outrage, and destroying are game.

Why should home born fans have to travel around the world to watch one of there ''home'' games, if the Americans and Australians and all the other countries want to watch are games they can come over here.

>:( >:( >:(
      « Last Edit: Feb 10, 2008 02:46:05 pm by lfc 4life »
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #43: Feb 10, 2008 02:03:58 pm
      Signed !
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #44: Feb 11, 2008 06:58:51 am
      The only way i can see this working is introduce a mid season break and play these games in the middle of it points dont count towards the league,let the players take the wife and kids make a holilday out of it for them the games wont be taken to seriously.I cant see any of the teams outside the top 6 generating any interest in these foriegn countries.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #45: Feb 11, 2008 05:53:59 pm
      SIGNED!!

That's 6,723 signatures so far

Quick Reply