Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Is it a good idea?

Yes
      (11.8%)
      No
      (80.9%)
      Not bothered
      (7.3%)

VOTE: 39 Games and Overseas Matches for Premiership?

Read 10042 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Re: VOTE: 39 Games and Overseas Matches for Premiership?
      Reply #92: Jul 23, 2009 06:51:08 pm
      Manchester United chief executive says 39th Premier League game 'highly unlikely'

The Manchester United chief executive, David Gill, says there is little possibility of the Premier League season being extended to accommodate an overseas fixture despite the popularity of pre-season tours to the far east.

Malaysian supporters booed their own national side in Kuala Lumpur on Saturday, such is the fervour surrounding United, while fans have mounted a 24-hour vigil outside the team hotel in Seoul since Sir Alex Ferguson and his side landed in South Korea yesterday.

But Gill said the Premier League is "highly unlikely" to add another game to the schedule. "If you are talking about a 39th game how do you get the symmetry?" he said. "If it was the 38th whose home game would it be? How do you decide who will play where? The Premier League should still look at opportunities and ideas but I cannot see an extra game happening. It would be a step too far."

More likely, in addition to the lucrative pre-season trips, are more mid-season friendlies. United played a January testimonial in Saudi Arabia two years ago, and Manchester City have confirmed they will play UAE in Abu Dhabi on 12 November this year. There are even rumours that United and Liverpool might accept a lucrative offer to play a match in India some time before Christmas.

"Those games would naturally be more opportunistic in terms of how we are doing in any particular season," said Gill. "If, for any reason, there is a week or 10-day break in the fixture programme where Alex feels it would be beneficial to take a break, we would look at that. It would all be driven by the football side but we would not rule that out at all."

Gill commented on the schedule of the tour in respect to the Jakarta bombings, and on the decision to pull out of their matches in Indonesia. "Indonesia is a huge country. We have 28 million fans there," he said. "We took a lot of advice, researched it and spoke to the relevant people. No one said don't go. If the authorities had done that, we would not have gone.

"Without doubt we made the right decision to go and, regrettable as it was, we made the right decision to pull out. Security will become a more important factor in future but I don't see a point where we will have to stop touring."

Ferguson reflected Gill's views saying there was no chance the tour would be abandoned despite concerns over the bomb attacks and expressing regret at the unavoidable decision not to visit Indonesia.

"Never there was at any time a suggestion for us to go back home," he said. "We did not have any players wanting to go back home. We're committed to be here for the duration and that's what we came here to do.

"It is very unfortunate and devastating with what happened in Indonesia, and more so because we prepared for it and there was a sell-out of tickets. But there was no way we could go there under the circumstances."

The South Korea international Park Ji-sung is expected to feature for United, having missed out on playing in their previous visit to his homeland through injury. And Ferguson praised the midfielder, while Gill confirmed that the club wish to extend his contract.

"When we were scouting I went to see him and I saw a player with great understanding of space," said Ferguson, who signed Park from PSV Eindhoven in 2005.

"We felt at the time that we needed a player who could penetrate really well and that's why we brought him here to Manchester United. Here he's developed technical and tactical ability and become an important player for us. These are the reasons why I think he's fantastic with us."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jul/23/manchester-united-premier-league-fixture-korea
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #93: Jul 23, 2009 07:36:53 pm
      Play the first game in the States or wherever, and two weeks later start the league campaign, as it's involving a lot of travel the clubs will need two weeks to recover...
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #94: Jul 23, 2009 07:44:51 pm
      Second thoughts it's full of old tripe and I for one never want to see a EPL game outside of England. Love the Avatar of the groovy Hitler Heir Huyton Red....
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #95: Jul 23, 2009 07:50:32 pm
      I'd agree simply because we are broke if our owners change my opinion might change.
      RedDrog
      • Forum John Toshack

• 264 posts |
      Reply #96: Jul 23, 2009 09:12:56 pm
      Stupid idea, end of.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,242 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #97: Jul 23, 2009 09:32:13 pm
      It's all about the great god money and as sure as eggs is eggs the is a super league on the way
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #98: Jul 24, 2009 01:06:39 am
      Id forgotten about this crap :D

Get me in charge of the FA. I'll sort the English game out.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #99: Jul 24, 2009 02:03:29 am
      The English Premier League is the biggest league in the world. Yes, it has definitely grown and is larger than England which was shown when we played Thailand and will be shown again when we play Singapore. It is a great way to generate money, and on a personal level it would be a dream come true to see Liverpool live. I really don't see the harm in it. Perhaps the first round of the season could be played overseas and the rest of the game played as normal. The NFL played a few games in the UK if I'm not mistaken, and i don't think they come close to the size of the EPL.

Quick Reply