Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who would you like to make a return as Rafa's #2 next season:

Bring in Sammy Lee
      (37%)
      Bring back Pako Ayesteran
      (51.9%)
      Stick with Paco de Miguel
      (11.1%)

Rafas number 2

Read 4231 times
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Rafas number 2
      Feb 21, 2008 09:30:09 am
      Well Rafa has done it again in Europe but we cant do owt in the league,does anyone else think we should get a ex player in as Rafas number 2?and what names would we throw in the hat?Sammy Lee as been mentioned what about John Aldridge or Jason Macateer thy have both managed clubs.Anyone else we can think of?
      MsGerrard
      Re: Rafas number 2
      Reply #1: Feb 21, 2008 10:05:50 am
      I would liked to have seen Gary Mac.....but that's not going to happen now, King Kenny would be a favourite of mine, but I'm not sure how he would get on with Rafa, being such a legend and worshipped so much at Anfield, it could actually work against him.

I'm sure all this though Kelv has recently been discussed in another thread? I might be wrong, did you search through first?
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #2: Feb 21, 2008 10:21:16 am
      The only thing I could hear on the radio going up to the match was Aldo slagging Rafa off so I don't really see Aldo as an option.

Definately Phil Thompson though.  He's so F***ing passionate about this club, and is wasting away doing work for Sky when he only gets the piss taken out of him any way.

I'd love to see Phil Thompson back.

But on the other hand.  Is Rafa even thinking of getting another number 2?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #3: Feb 21, 2008 10:41:49 am
      I think he does need one...........behind every successful man is a WOMAN  ;)

Maybe Rafa needs me, I could be the link between him and the players, I would certainly put an arm around the shoulder of Stevie G, and provide a shoulder to cry on. :D

No seriously, I'm sure Rafa misses Pako, he does need someone to share the burden of being in charge of such a fantastic club as ours is, the enormous pressures put upon him must be a constant worry, although I'm sure he enjoys picking up his rather large cheque every month, no more than he deserves though especially this season.

Tommo would be good Court......local lad, made it big, knows the ropes, did it under Houllier.  ;D
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #4: Feb 21, 2008 11:10:58 am
      Well Rafa has done it again in Europe but we cant do owt in the league,does anyone else think we should get a ex player in as Rafas number 2?and what names would we throw in the hat?Sammy Lee as been mentioned what about John Aldridge or Jason Macateer thy have both managed clubs.Anyone else we can think of?

God no not McAteer the man is a cretin. So embarassing seeing him on the telly always playing the dumb scouser role.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,752 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #5: Feb 21, 2008 11:40:09 am
      Rafas No: 2 should be EddieC ;)....but Eddie being such a busy man...I'd go for the next best thing and bring back Robbie Fowler (God) as Rafa's number 2.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #6: Feb 21, 2008 11:43:56 am
      Rafas No: 2 should be EddieC ;)....but Eddie being such a busy man...I'd go for the next best thing and bring back Robbie Fowler (God) as Rafa's number 2.

You know.  I know how much of a head above the clouds idea that is.  ::)

But that would be F***ing brilliant.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,752 posts | 6722 
      Reply #7: Feb 21, 2008 11:45:02 am
      Eddie or God mate, which one :D
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #8: Feb 21, 2008 12:01:00 pm

Head above the clouds?  ;)

Hint hint :D

Put Eddie and God next to each other infact and we're playing the guessing game ladies and gentlemen!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,752 posts | 6722 
      Reply #9: Feb 21, 2008 12:04:06 pm
      Head above the clouds?  ;)

Hint hint :D

Put Eddie and God next to each other infact and we're playing the guessing game ladies and gentlemen!

Sorry Court mate, it's 23.00 and I'm at work.....now I got ya.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #10: Feb 21, 2008 12:43:00 pm
      Ian Rush as #2 and work with the boys on chances to goals ratio day in day out at Melwood.

Our finishing is our problem... Rafa can't help on that score, but Ian might.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,264 posts | 2825 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #11: Feb 21, 2008 01:34:45 pm
      Bring back Roy Evans as number 2.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #12: Feb 21, 2008 02:31:13 pm
      After the disappointment of being passed over for the England job I don't feel up to having my confidence knocked again by applying for another role in football & missing out, but if someone wants to make an application on my behalf then feel free ;D
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #13: Feb 21, 2008 02:34:17 pm
      It has to be Phil Thomson for me. Rafa is a moaner, we can see that he keeps on moaning in the dug out during a game. I believe he'll moan and moan and moan in the dressing room as well  after a bad game without really getting his message through to the players to the extend that the players will put on an ear plug if they could.  With iron Phil, the players will get the hair dryer if they don't perform and I believe he's not stingy with praises after a good performance. Besides that, he's a legend and has seen it all before.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #14: Feb 21, 2008 03:46:17 pm
      After the disappointment of being passed over for the England job I don't feel up to having my confidence knocked again by applying for another role in football & missing out, but if someone wants to make an application on my behalf then feel free ;D

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

No way Eddie it has to be me seeing as my Under 11s side won both league and cup last season, that has to set me in good sted.
      OTherwise has to be a LFC legend in my opion Thommo, Rushy, King Kenny anyone in that mold, I think that would prove a positive move on Rafa and the owners part to bring in someone like that.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #15: Feb 21, 2008 04:10:33 pm
      No to Aldo, he likes the grog to much!  The dream ticket Gary Mc is spoken for!!  Tommo I'm not to sure about. From a process of elimination it has to be Sammy, I was talking to him about a month ago and he's such a nice fella.
      IRWT
      WALK ON
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #16: Feb 21, 2008 04:11:46 pm
      I just want pako back. No time needed to work out one anothers ideas etc they already know how one another works and what they both specialie in, but i no he isnt coming back.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #17: Feb 22, 2008 12:47:25 am
      Interesting that a lot of people would like Thompson. Understandably so as well because he's got nothing but passion for Liverpool.
      Personally I think the pairing of Houllier and Thompson ended up imploding on itself and the players didn't know who they were taking orders from in the end. You'd need someone to come in and not think they were the boss or knew better. Someone laid back with a healthy knowledge of the Liverpool way.

When you think about the boot room, how blessed were we? There was only ever one 'boss' but there was many wise minds. Get Dalglish, Moran and Evans back on the books to talk football after every game with Rafa. Moran can put the kettle on....
      MsGerrard
      Reply #18: Feb 22, 2008 01:39:00 am
      Interesting that a lot of people would like Thompson. Understandably so as well because he's got nothing but passion for Liverpool.
      Personally I think the pairing of Houllier and Thompson ended up imploding on itself and the players didn't know who they were taking orders from in the end. You'd need someone to come in and not think they were the boss or knew better. Someone laid back with a healthy knowledge of the Liverpool way.

When you think about the boot room, how blessed were we? There was only ever one 'boss' but there was many wise minds. Get Dalglish, Moran and Evans back on the books to talk football after every game with Rafa. Moran can put the kettle on....

When they showed that programme about Paisley last week on LFC tv, there was Bob, Joe Fagan, Ronnie Moran and Roy Evans, what a team eh!!!

All sitting having a cup of tea, surrounded by dirty boots......how times have changed :)  They were so happy and that's where everything happened, that's where they plotted the downfall of all the best teams in Europe.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #19: Feb 22, 2008 06:55:46 am
       I like the idea of Ian Rush,He has got his coaching badges,is still in his 40s and he would be an asset for the forwards.Most important he learned his football the Liverpool way and knows the traditions of this great club.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #20: Feb 22, 2008 09:51:09 am
      I like the idea of Ian Rush,He has got his coaching badges,is still in his 40s and he would be an asset for the forwards.Most important he learned his football the Liverpool way and knows the traditions of this great club.

A maestro forward who would do wonders with our present crop of front men... personality wise would fit in perfectly with Rafa.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #21: Feb 22, 2008 09:53:43 am
      Rush for attack......Rafa for defense......I like it...
      FIVESTAR
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts | -11 
      Reply #22: Feb 22, 2008 10:33:18 am
      What about Garry Ablett ? Doing a fine job with the reserves and may see this as a step up

Quick Reply