Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who would you like to make a return as Rafa's #2 next season:

Bring in Sammy Lee
      (37%)
      Bring back Pako Ayesteran
      (51.9%)
      Stick with Paco de Miguel
      (11.1%)

Rafas number 2

Read 4232 times
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Re: Rafas number 2
      Reply #46: Mar 07, 2008 03:39:25 pm
      Raffa is his own man and I think he's already spreading the work load and if he thinks he needs an assistant he will get one. I think this season has been a poor one by Raffa's standards and with a little extra quality added up front we won't be far off with or without an assistant. We also have some quality coming through our youth & reserves teams and with the addition of 7 players on the bench next season we should see more of the kids. If we can qualify for ECL with a game or two to spare I think we may see 1 or 2 of the kids before seasons end....
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #47: Mar 07, 2008 03:44:21 pm
      Raffa is his own man and I think he's already spreading the work load and if he thinks he needs an assistant he will get one. I think this season has been a poor one by Raffa's standards and with a little extra quality added up front we won't be far off with or without an assistant. We also have some quality coming through our youth & reserves teams and with the addition of 7 players on the bench next season we should see more of the kids. If we can qualify for ECL with a game or two to spare I think we may see 1 or 2 of the kids before seasons end....

Good point regarding the 7 players on the bench factor - which will work in our favour next season.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #48: Mar 07, 2008 06:02:56 pm
      Some people arent meant to be first team managers. Sammy is part if a breed who cant make the transition from number 2 to 1. No matter how good their team is, if they cant do the job it will show.

Look at Stewart Houston - Assistant at Arsenal during the early 1990's. Went to QPR and got sacked that December in his first season.

Phil Neal - May I say more?

Chris Hutchings - Former Wigan boss, where is he now?

Stuart Gray - Former Southampton assistant, took over at the club and gone out the door soon after.

Les Reed - At Charlton, brief spell.

AND

Carlos Quieroz - Real Madrid didnt seem to succeed under him.

Just that transistion between 2 and 1 effects them. All in the head I think, some cant handle the extra work load or take on pressure. Hope it helps lilcisse.

Thanks for that don some good points in there
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #49: Mar 07, 2008 06:06:49 pm
      Thanks for that don some good points in there
      Was crouchies post not mine... credit where credit is due... they are very valid points.

Still feel the club needs to find a space for the likes of a Sammy Lee.

Did you know that when Rafa joined he didn't actually want Sammy Lee to leave... but Sammy felt he had to.

Did you know that Sammy Lee actually helped Rafa's back room staff to settle at Mellwood by showing them all around before he left.

Did you know that Sammy quite explicitly and contradicting Souness on that Robinson documentary says he totally believes in Rafa's system and management style / tactics.

Sammy Lee all the way for me... but hey Pako and Rafa were a proven winning for years and years... life is too short to hold grudges forever.  They should BOTH forgive (but not forget).
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #50: Mar 07, 2008 06:13:09 pm
      O yeah didnt even look ;D Cheers crouchi :)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #51: Mar 08, 2008 02:01:27 am
      O yeah didnt even look ;D Cheers crouchi :)

Yeah you bloody well better appreciate it mate!

:D
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #52: Mar 08, 2008 01:02:58 pm
      Yeah you bloody well better appreciate it mate!

:D

;D haha
      red1
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Does Rafa need a number 2?
      Reply #53: Mar 14, 2008 08:38:09 pm
      I've never seen so many fellow reds to be as fickle as much as I have recently re Rafa. He's done so much for us and I believe he will continue to improve on results. Funny since Inter game they've disappeared.

However can he continue to do things alone?
      Pako's been seen around, is he back?
      would you go for Sammy Lee?
      Phil Thompson?
       Dream team King Kenny as his assistant - never happen I know

Quick Reply