Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Liverpool v Middlesborough - Match Thread.

Read 10957 times
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Re: Liverpool v Middlesborough - Match Thread.
      Reply #115: Feb 23, 2008 05:02:51 pm
      Carlsberg don't do strikers but if they did...  ;)

Torres's 1st 17 goals!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDu3nZwacbY

Have a great evening guys, must dash, I'm off to Brighton for a party now!  :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1:
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #116: Feb 23, 2008 05:03:38 pm
      Lucas didn't play good from what I saw but he needs the full games.. even if he is playing badly otherwise he'll never get match fit.

This game Lucas can benifit from. He'll learn from his mistakes and also it was a full 90 minutes for him.. yes he looked knackered but he needs the games and Anderson was in a similar situation with Man Utd when he first started playing games for them.. look how good he's doing now!

We need all the 3 points we can get. No time for baby-sitting Lucas.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #117: Feb 23, 2008 05:07:42 pm
      Cheers Red !!!  I'm sitting here with a grin from ear to ear watching that  ;D
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #118: Feb 23, 2008 05:09:24 pm
      I'm delighted we won. Torres scored three absolutely fantastic goals!
      wdavidw10
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #119: Feb 23, 2008 05:18:44 pm
      A good win, well done torres!!!!
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #120: Feb 23, 2008 05:26:57 pm
      Really pleased with Torres great hat trick well done lad. We played like sh*te to be honest gave the ball away too much, and Lucas yet again had another shocker, but what do I know.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #121: Feb 23, 2008 05:38:51 pm
      Really pleased with Torres great hat trick well done lad. We played like sh*te to be honest gave the ball away too much, and Lucas yet again had another shocker, but what do I know.

You're right mate. Lucas did have a shocker. He's got to do better.

Just got back and I feel it was a bit of a weird game to be honest. Overall we were not as good as we can be and only had a few periods of some decent play. They were clawing their way back into the game in the second half and I wouldn't have been surprised if they would have levelled the score if they hadn't had a sending off.

Made up for Torres. And Mascherano seems to be getting better every game. Very consistant. Kuyt had another decent game too and Riise looked more tired than Kuyt when he replaced him.

Three points in the bag which is the most important thing. But once again, we don't really turn up for the league - players and fans alike.

If that ref hadn't given the ball to Torres at the end I think there might have been trouble!
      drawde
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts | -1 
      • Adward
      Reply #122: Feb 23, 2008 05:52:12 pm
      Excellent, Who can be put ahead on MOTD tonight... I have to see those goals :D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #123: Feb 23, 2008 05:59:53 pm
      A good result - not a truly great performance.  Far too many sides are scoring far too many goals against us at Anfield but what can you say about that man Torres?

4th place (for now). Two successive wins.  Let's hope confidence returns big time.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #124: Feb 23, 2008 06:25:37 pm
      alliadiere shold be embarresed when he watches MOTD tonght.  my 2 year old daughter slaps harder than that!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #125: Feb 23, 2008 06:50:53 pm
      Just got back from my father in law's, where I was able to watch the match! Have to say that this is a great result for the reds, and this will firmly put the pressure on the bluenoses before their match on Monday!

Don't know where to start! Obviously Torres had a blinder, once again showed his WORLD class abilities - tremendous pace, opportunism and clinical finishing from close range and from 20+ yards! Again he impressed me with his fighting ability, scrapping for the ball and standing firm, shoulder to shoulder, instead of going down under pressure. Still, on a par with him for me today was Sami Hyppia. What a class act this guy is! I don't think he broke a sweat today; he was solid, a one man wall in front of their forwards, absolutely unflappable and always effective.

I don't know about in England, but the commentators over here gave Masch a slagging off, saying that he was a shadow of what he was against Inter. I didn't see the Inter match (wasn't televised over here), but I saw him today and found him very good. I rather feel that he risks to suffer from the same kind of treatment that Gerrard receives: he has reached such a high level of performance recently that when he plays "only" very well instead of "out of this world", journalists report that he has been disappointing.

The only players I found to struggle at all were perhaps Aurelio and Gerrard (seemed very frustrated today, maybe he didn't get any last night  ;)), and Riise when he came on as sub. Plus we could tell that we have defensive injuries/suspensions for this match, they were threatening coming forward, but Hyppia (my man of the match) made the difference for us.

Sorry for such a long post, or if I have repeated anything anyone has already said! The important thing today is we took all 3 points from a difficult match - confidence must be building!

YNWA

mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #126: Feb 23, 2008 06:51:13 pm
      Just got back from the game.
      Indifferent type of match to watch that.

First half started as if we had just thrown 11 players into the team who had never played before.
      It doesn't help when when players are playing out of position. Why Kuyt was out on the right wing beats me ? (figure of speech), we have Pennant, Yossi and Kewell who could of started there.
      Playing just one up front doesn't do us any favours either at home.
      We should be saying we are Liverpool, and we are going to play and beat you comfortably.

But on from that little moan, Boro's first goal - big claim for off-side. Now I haven't seen or heard anything apart from seeing it first hand, and I thought he was clearly off. But the lad took it well, and looks a good player for them - Tuncay.

The equaliser came when we needed it badly. You could see our players struggling with the game, and the crowd not contributing to the atmosphere. A poor mistake by them let in Torres to run onto goal unchallenged. He just loves to round the keeper, instead of taking the chance early. Could of gone down for a penalty, but stayed on his feet and rounded the keeper before slotting the ball into an empty net.

His and Liverpool's second was world class. This is why he is worth so much money, and needs to play as much as possible for us.
      20 yards out and hits it first time into the bottom corner of Schwartzer's right hand post. The keeper tried his best to reach it, but it was hit with power and accuracy. A great goal, and just what we needed.

Second half and again Torres was the scorer of the next Liverpool goal. Schwartzer and Wheater (did not impress at all, with all the talk of Liverpool being interested in him) made a real hash on what should of been an easy clearance for either of them. Torres nipped in and clipped the ball round them from the edge of the area into an empty Kop net.
      Hat trick for Torres who now has 21 ? goals this season.

The game seemed to just pass by, nothing really happening until Aliadiere bi*ch slapped Masherano. Amazingly the referee saw this incident and produced a straight red for him.

The last ten mins should have been a stroll, but as so often we struggle to put the game to bed. Downing showed some control and speed down there left and shot passed Reina to make the final score 3 - 2.

Torres will get all the plaudits - and rightly so for his hat trick.
      Many will say, he was gifted 2 of his goals, but he was there to put them into the net.

Gerrard and Mash, unflappable in midfield.
      Lucas, getting in more Premiership experience, did nothing special and had a quiet game.

Kuyt ran all day for his team, playing out of position, but always making himself available.
      Good to see from him, and his 2 goals recently has lifted him. Well played mate.

Babel, again showing his ability without excelling.
      I would still like to see him play a full 90 mins tho'.

At home now happy with the 3 points.
      But there's still a hell of a lot more to come from us, and maybe now is the time to go out and show the rest of the league and Europe that we mean business.

Well done lads.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #127: Feb 23, 2008 06:52:07 pm
      After seeing mrtommo's post I retract my apology for the length of mine  ;)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #128: Feb 23, 2008 07:01:10 pm
      Good post Tommo.

As for the commentators ayrton, they must have been watching a different game if they think Mascherano was a shadow of himself today. The amount of movement by him was amazing and he won the ball back for us many times. He is class.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #129: Feb 23, 2008 07:32:59 pm
      Tommo has covered most things-well done.B4 the game I picked Rafa would play Arbeloa alongside Hypia.sadly Arbeloa was a poor replacement for Carra.I like him as a right full back  but he was totally out of position against Boro.The good news is with Skrytel fit and Agger close we should not have a problem in the future.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #130: Feb 23, 2008 08:25:13 pm
      for a lot of the time today the team looked like it was suffering the effects of a night with too many stellas, apart from torres that is, what can you say about him...just UNBELIEVABLE!
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #131: Feb 23, 2008 09:17:19 pm
      A good win, well done torres!!!!

:D ............... and the other 10 players!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #132: Feb 23, 2008 10:39:35 pm
      How i am rueing going to sleep!!!! Fell asleep a matter of minutes before kick off and i miss out? Stupid world.

If Robbie is God, Nando is Jesus.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #133: Feb 23, 2008 11:27:02 pm
      After seeing mrtommo's post I retract my apology for the length of mine  ;)

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Thanks RED1028 for posting that clip. Fantastic goals, I can only count 1 tap in from the whole lot and that was the last one shown, if you consider that a tap in at all?. What a world class player we have in Torres. All those goals were top drawer. I love him and hope he plays with us till he retires.

As for the game, 3 points gained so no complaints.... I think Tommo has pretty much summed it up but I just want to ask, does anyone else think Pepe could and should have saved those two goals they scored?
      « Last Edit: Feb 23, 2008 11:29:32 pm by AussieRed »
      MsGerrard
      Reply #134: Feb 24, 2008 01:03:15 am
      What a player.......Fernando Torres just loves scoring goals.........he even does it for fun. :lmao:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #135: Feb 24, 2008 01:13:07 am
      Spot on Tommo - went myself didn't actually think it was a great game, although Torres was simply class, with Mascherano not far behind, whoever said masch was a shadow of himself needs a slap asap, this lad protects and runs our midfield.

BTW how coolr did masch look walking away from our goal after winning a challenge on tuesday night and when play went down the other end he swaggered forward followed by the kop singing his name and him giving us a thumbs up
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #136: Feb 24, 2008 01:26:25 am
      Just finished watching the game for the second time and the player that most impressed me was Kuyt. Thought that compared to the last few months he looked really good. You could see his confidence growing throughout the game; little neat passes, nice and effective lay offs and the will to be a little more selfish and go for goal. Really great to see. Looks like Rafa's faith in him with his run in the side is starting to payoff.

Babel looked eager to get involved....just wish for he would look up more and be aware that once he is past the first man that his next touch is crucial. Too often he gives the ball away in this situation.

Sami was utter class today. He settled the ship and calmed things down. Great display.

Think Masch was a little lucky not to get a booking for his part in the Aliadierre situation.

Torres was magnificent. So many times when I watch him I just can't beleive he is actually ours! He is the kind of exotic player who plays for Barca, Real or Juve....a player that we always salivate over and dream would wear the Red shirt. He is so dangerous. 26 million was a steal.

Happy Red tonight. Glad the team kept up tuesday's momentum.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #137: Feb 24, 2008 07:43:03 am

Think Masch was a little lucky not to get a booking for his part in the Aliadierre situation.

True. He put his hands on Aliadierre first. Lucky Mascherano

Quick Reply