Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Bob Paisley Memorial Thread (updated)

Read 32840 times
      the faith healer
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 91 posts | 16 
      Bob Paisley Memorial Thread (updated)
      Feb 29, 2008 03:35:15 pm
      Last summer, myself and a few like-minded Reds who use the supporters website www.onthekop.com went to Glenbuck to see the memorial to Bill Shankly. It was more of a pilgrimage really and it struck us that only Liverpool supporters could do something like that to pay homage to one of our greats. Last Christmas thoughts turned to where to visit next and the obvious choice was Hetton-le-Hole, the birth place of Bob Paisley. I looked into it and found that the only memorial to the great man in his hometown was a small plaque high on the wall of one of Bobs former schools.

Our immediate thought was that the supporters of Liverpool Football Club may be able to improve on that.

We think that if a memorial exists for Bill Shankly at the town of his birth then Bob Paisley should be honoured in the same way.

Bob Paisley is our most successful manager with a total of 3 European Cups, 6 League Titles, 3 League Cups, 1 UEFA Cup, 1 European Super Cup and 5 Charity Shields. Bob was named Manager Of The Year 6 times.

All this during a managerial career spanning just 9 seasons.

In 52 years of loyal service to Liverpool Football club, Bob was a player, physiotherapist, coach, manager and director. His achievements will surely be unsurpassed in the game.

In short, Bob Paisley is a World Football Great.

We approached the Paisley family in Liverpool with our idea to construct a memorial to Bob in Hetton-le-Hole. The Paisley family are delighted with the idea and would love to see this become a reality.

We then approached Hetton Town Council. They were really impressed with the idea and in early January invited us to Hetton to meet some of the local councillors and to show us around a few potential sites for the proposed memorial. We have since met with stone masons and construction firms in the Hetton-le-Hole area.

The local people of Hetton-le-Hole are very keen on this idea and fully support it.

Since then things have moved on to the point that we’re ready to commission the project, which will be similar to the Glenbuck memorial.

So now its up to us, the supporters of Liverpool F.C, to make this a reality.

We have decided to open this appeal fund so that supporters from home and abroad can make this happen. What we’re looking for is for supporters either through personal donations or as supporters clubs/organisations to donate whatever they can so that we can get this done as soon as possible, hopefully this summer.

We have already contacted as many supporters clubs as we can in case they need time to organise any fund raising events, should they wish.

A fund raising night is planned by us at The Sandon on March 29th. Details will be available soon, and tickets will be an affordable £10.

Myself and my 12 year old son Jack Graves will be doing a sponsored walk up Englands highest peak Scafell Pike towards the end of April, more details of this will be released soon.

Some websites and supporters clubs have already expressed an interest in holding events so that they can raise funds while celebrating the achievements of Bob Paisley.

If anyone would like further information please contact us at paisleymemorial@hotmail.co.uk

FUND RAISING ACTIVITIES ARE NOW CLOSED - THANK YOU TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED.

Thank you.

Ian Graves
      For and on behalf of The Bob Paisley Memorial Committee.
      « Last Edit: Jul 23, 2008 02:24:45 pm by JD »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Bob Paisley Memorial Launch Statement
      Reply #1: Feb 29, 2008 06:02:42 pm
      DontBuyTheSun suggested the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trn8SfnXLf8
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #2: Feb 29, 2008 06:06:16 pm
      We have the Shankly gates, and a Shankly statue, i think we should have a Paisley statue as well to compliment the Paisley gates and in honor of the man.
      DontBuyTheSun
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -2 
      Reply #3: Feb 29, 2008 06:22:35 pm
      We might not be able to give you a knighthood Bob but we sure as hell are going to give you a memorial that you well deserved.

Lads this is your club and Paisley along with Shanks are the 2 greatest managers we ever had lets put Bob up their in his rightfull place as a true legend of Liverpool FC. Any help at all will go a long way to achieving our goal check out the websites above as Ian said in the video its a fan initiative and its only us as fans that can make it work.

Thanks
      Liam
      the faith healer
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 91 posts | 16 
      Reply #4: Feb 29, 2008 11:36:11 pm
      Well said Liam.
      DontBuyTheSun
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -2 
      Reply #5: Mar 01, 2008 12:39:53 am

Alright Robbie mate I'd thought that was you when I saw yea
      the faith healer
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 91 posts | 16 
      Reply #6: Mar 01, 2008 02:41:53 pm
      Great big super dooper Bob Paisley Memorial Fundraiser Night 29th March

Is at the Sandon March 29th and tickets at £10 each will be available very soon, probably in time for the West Ham match on Wednesday. Full details of entertainment (and we have got some belters), running order, events within the night etc will be posted up very soon. I think it only fair that those who attended the OTK Christmas party get first dibs on the tickets so if everybody takes up that offer that should take care of about 60 tickets. People who have already asked a BPM committee member to put their name down for a ticket or two will be ok too.

I have to ask that if tickets are to be picked up in person they MUST be paid for at the time in CASH. It will be a nightmare for, "Can I take the tickets now and pay you three weeks next Pancake Tuesday." We just won't be able to keep up with that. The same goes for any that are picked up from the HJC shop. Cash only please. It would be unfair to expect any of the good people who run the shop to be marking down who is going to pay for the tickets and when. Cash only for personal pick up please. Also, no tickets will be "left" at the HJC shop with a name on an envelope for reserved pick up. If you need to pick up from the HJC shop rather than from a BPM member just call in and pay CASH for them; the money will then of course be forwarded to us. Of course if tickets need to be sent out then other payment methods will be accepted. I'll leave Bev to sort that one out in the very capable way she does.

As I say, I'll have tickets with me at the West Ham game so if you wanna come and see me in one of my usual pre-match haunts of the Cabbage or the Solly (the one near the Albert) or the Albert post-match I'll sort you then. At the Newcastle game tickets should be available from most BPM committee members most notably me, Ian (barnieslad), PhilO, Glynn (Willie Bob) and Robbie (Mottman).

If you didn't attend the OTK Christmas party or haven't already expressed an interest to a BPM committee member then please feel free to express that interest now in this thread. I'm not saying tickets will then be AUTOMATICALLY guaranteed as I can see the 240 available tickets going VERY quickly but it will go a very long way.

Thanks.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #7: Mar 02, 2008 10:46:31 pm
      Any ideas or images of the proposed statue/memorial?
      DontBuyTheSun
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -2 
      Reply #8: Mar 03, 2008 10:15:05 am
      JD it is going to be similar to the Shankly Memorial in Glenbuck this is were the idea came from

Here is a picture memorial can be seen here half way down

http://onthekop.com/forum/index.php/topic,3621.500.html

And here is that thread from start

http://onthekop.com/forum/index.php/topic,3621.0.html

The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #9: Mar 03, 2008 11:18:14 am
      Hello everyone and many thanks to Liam and Rob for putting this on here.

My name is Ian Graves (the lad in the video) and I'd like to update everyone with our progress.

Firstly, in answer to JD, there are no images of the proposed memorial but it will be along the lines of the magnificent Glenbuck memorial. During our discussions on this we came to the conclusion that it would be just the job, very appropriate for Bob, not too dominating of the War memorial that it will be going near to and ideally placed so that its easy to find for supporters who want to visit on the way to any of the North East clubs.

As Liam has posted just visit the above links for more information.

Now, about the progress of the campaign. Things are going very well with T shirts flying out, donations coming in thick and fast and great interest about the fund raising night at the sandon on March 29th. More details about this can be found on www.onthekop.com on the Liverpool FC forum.

The Spirit Of Shankly have recently offered their full backing for our campaign so all going well I will be speaking about this project at the next Spirit Of Shankly meeting at the Olympia around noon on the day of the Reading game.

We decided right at the beginning of this campaign that if a memorial is going to be built by the fans then this campaign should go out to as many supporters as we can reach, to give as many as we can the opportunity to be a part of it. To that end we have contacted all the supporters clubs and the support from them has been fantastic.

I'd like to thank everyone that has contributed to this project and if anyone is thinking about contributing then please do so. Without the fans support it won't happen. Knowing the Liverpool support as I think I do, it will happen and will be ready for unveiling this summer.

Thank you

Ian Graves.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #10: Mar 03, 2008 05:59:05 pm
      Sorry if I've skipped the info but has this been costed?  Is it pie in the sky money or 'doable'.  Surely there would be an opportunity for the local people to make an application for some lottery money or such like?

I assume we are talking thousands as opposed to tens of thousands?
      The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #11: Mar 03, 2008 07:15:45 pm
      Sorry if I've skipped the info but has this been costed?  Is it pie in the sky money or 'doable'.  Surely there would be an opportunity for the local people to make an application for some lottery money or such like?

We're looking at somewhere in the region of £15,000

graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #12: Mar 03, 2008 08:30:07 pm
      Think me and the wife will go to this, the tickets are £10 each.

Is there anybody else going.
      The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #13: Mar 04, 2008 02:49:24 am
      Full details for The Bob Paisley Memorial Supporters Fund raiser.

Please follow all the instructions on the first post in this link...

http://onthekop.com/forum/index.php/topic,7515.0.html

Should be a BOSS night.

The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #14: Mar 06, 2008 02:40:18 am
      Hello everyone, here’s an update on the campaign.

A second youtube clip has been released showing the closing stages of our spot on LFC.TV recently. Here’s the link….

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5zplqkAEEiM

In the second clip, not only do you get to hear my closing comments but you get to hear Supersub telling us a little about Hetton-le-Hole. As Dave says there is a small plaque high on a wall of Bobs former school, but you'd be lucky to see it. It must be 8 feet up the wall and its around 10 inches across.

The reserves game that Dave mentions was the recent fixture against Sunderland. They play all their home games on the Eppleton Colliery Pitch and three of our committee went up for that game and to meet the council again.

I have to say, at the end of the recording, Rik from Milton Keynes - Don't give up that day job kidder  ;D

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far by either buying on one of our T shirts, donating directly or by buying a ticket for our fund raiser. Details for the T shirts can be found on this link....

http://bobpaisleymemorial.homestead.com/index.html

And here's the link for the selling arrangements for the fund raiser but if you fancy coming along, be QUICK...

http://onthekop.com/forum/index.php/topic,7515.0.html

Please leave any requests in that thread as Peter Evo is dealing with the Fund Raiser, which should be a BOSS night.

The tickets are going really well. Gerry in the HJC shop said he'd had seven requests over the counter before 6pm tonight and he hasn't even put the poster up yet!

If you're thinking of donating, buying a shirt or any other way of getting involved in this memorial for Bob then please do.

Our intention from the very beginning was to allow as many people as possible to be a part of it, and your contribution, however small or substantial, will help to build this memorial.

Thank you,

Ian.
      The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #15: Mar 06, 2008 03:05:53 am

I should really reply more fully to you JD.

My apologies for the earlier very brief response, I've been dead busy recently with the campaign launch.

We are indeed talking thousands rather than tens of thousands but the costings are coming down all the time. We've recently managed to get a lower price for a high quality granite tablet that will form the centre piece of the memorial. We've also managed to get it inside the time we where quoted only a few weeks ago. Not only does this make the project even more do-able than before, it will make it a better bet for going in this summer, which is what we all want to see.

As for accepting lottery money or applying for grants, we decided very early on that yes, that would be good to keep the cost down but it wont cost that much anyway and we want this to be from the fans. From us, to them, for Bob, with love.

The council have been a very great help to us and like the way we are doing things. The local people themselves are donating and following the progress with great interest. They really want this and are backing it 100%

Every single person I have spoken to about this from when I thought of it last Christmas has absolutely loved it.

We think its very do-able indeed, but only with the support of the fans. We think that our approach to the general support of Liverpool Football Club will be well met and ensure that this memorial is unveiled this summer.

Thanks JD,

Ian.

MsGerrard
      Reply #16: Mar 06, 2008 11:07:57 am
      To Ian...

A very worthwhile cause.

Bob Paisley was a legend and such a gentleman, I was very privileged to have met him and I have sent you a cheque today to help with the memorial.

We will never forget Bob..... the most successful Football Manager ever.

I wish you all the best.
      The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #17: Mar 06, 2008 12:45:47 pm
      Thank you very much for your donation MsGerrard.

You have helped to build The Bob Paisley Memorial in his home town of Hetton-le-Hole.

Ian.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #18: Mar 06, 2008 01:54:08 pm
      Thank you very much for your donation MsGerrard.

You have helped to build The Bob Paisley Memorial in his home town of Hetton-le-Hole.

Ian.

Cheers Ian, only glad I could help in a small way. :kop5cf8koxp6:
      the faith healer
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 91 posts | 16 
      Reply #19: Mar 06, 2008 11:13:17 pm
      Tickets are £10.00 and are available from the HJC shop opposite the Albert, The shop is open Monday to Friday 10.00 till 14.00, best ring 0151 260 5262 before you set off just to make sure it's open.

Or contact paisleymemorial@hotmail.co.uk

Please feel free to post these details on any other Liverpool site that you may visit.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #20: Mar 06, 2008 11:25:27 pm
      Tickets are £10.00 and are available from the HJC shop opposite the Albert, The shop is open Monday to Friday 10.00 till 14.00, best ring 0151 260 5262 before you set off just to make sure it's open.

Or contact paisleymemorial@hotmail.co.uk

Please feel free to post these details on any other Liverpool site that you may visit.

Cheers for all the updates mate. Hope everything is going well.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #21: Mar 09, 2008 10:57:57 pm
      I'll stick an article on the site during the week - around the Inter Milan game to give the whole campaign a bit more publicity.  If you want to PM me an article to publish you can, failing that I'll have a crack myself.
      The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #22: Mar 18, 2008 12:23:01 pm
      Hello again everyone, here’s the latest on the campaign.

First, we have a bit of GREAT news. The granite has been ordered and will be with us in plenty of time for the summer. This is really good news as it keeps us on track for a summer unveiling. We reckon that the granite has the longest lead time of all the materials we need so ordering quickly was a must. It also shows that the money donated so far is being put to the use it is meant for – the memorial for Bob.

The next step is to liaise with the construction companies we are talking to in the North East and we aim to do that very soon.

We are spending the money on the memorial as it comes in but we are still a way off the sum that we’ll need to complete our task so PLEASE, if you’re thinking of donating then please do so. Every penny that comes in is helping to build this memorial for Bob and we are negotiating with all the relevant people in the North East to keep cost down. We have revised our target figure down to about 5 to 10 thousand pounds as we negotiate. For example some of the first quotes we got for the granite where around the £3,000 mark and we managed to get that for £1000 while not losing the quality we’re looking for.

The Spirit Of Shankly are fully backing the campaign and recently let me speak at the last meeting before the reading fixture at the Olympia. The message went down very well with loads of donations coming in.

There is a youtube of it here…
      http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7SSZhBR8Ql4

Unfortunately there is a little bit of strong language so please be aware of that if you’re very young or easily offended.

After the meeting we held a quick bucket collection in just a few pubs around the ground. Almost £500 was donated this way in only half an hour and if we decide to do anymore you’ll hear about it here first as it proved to be the ideal way for match going fans to get involved in building this tribute for Bob.

The T shirts where available on the day and proved to be very popular with match going fans. Far and away the most popular shirt on the day was Bobs favourite picture of himself with the old fellers of Hetton-le-Hole.

If anyone has pre-ordered one of these fantastic T shirts then please be patient. As we said at the launch we where taking pre-orders for a mid March delivery. We have now taken delivery of them from the manufacturer and they are being sent out this week although don’t forget its Easter so a few postal days will be lost to us. They will be with you very soon though and I’m sure you’ll be delighted with your shirt. They really where very popular and look the absolute business.

The T-shirts are now available at the HJC shop opposite The Kop and the cost from there is £11. They can also be ordered online at our website….

http://bobpaisleymemorial.homestead.com/index.html

Just follow the online instructions.

Tickets for the Fund Raiser, which is on March 29th, are also available from the HJC shop at £10 each. They are selling very well and rightly so as it should be a very good night so please come along – everyone is welcome and there is entertainment aplenty with a very special raffle. As fund Raisers go ours will be more than affordable as we want to make this more of a ‘fans night’, particularly with the Derby being played the next day. I’m REALLY looking forward to it!

Postal donations are also coming in and are very much appreciated. We’ve had donations ranging from 50p to £50 and some people have been moved to include letters of support with the donation. This gave us an idea. We where recently in the Liverpool Echo and I discussed this with Graham Paisley. He said his mum Jessie was keeping cuttings of all the press that we’re getting so we’ve decided to keep all the letters we get so that we can present a scrap book of them to Mrs Paisley after the campaign so if your donating by post then please enclose a letter for Mrs Paisley, I’m sure she’ll appreciate this as the letters we have been getting have been brilliant. If you’ve written to us in this way thank you very much for your kind words of support.

Here’s the address for postal donations

Bob Paisley Memorial Fund
      PO Box 72
      LIVERPOOL
      L19 1WZ

Donations can be made to directly to our HSBC bank account
      Account Number 73952886
      Sort Code          40-22-25

Thank you very much for your continued support. Together we can make this tribute to Bob a reality.

Ian Graves.

Quick Reply