Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Bob Paisley Memorial Thread (updated)

Read 32845 times
      MsGerrard
      Re: Bob Paisley Memorial Launch Statement
      Reply #23: Mar 18, 2008 12:41:55 pm
      Thanks Ian for your update...

It's good to know everything is coming along smoothly.

I feel happy that I've done my bit, and I wish you all the best with your continued fund raising.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #24: Mar 18, 2008 03:33:03 pm
      Great stuff Ian. Especially about making a scrap book for Mrs Paisley. That's brilliant.

Keep the updates coming mate. Good luck.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #25: Mar 21, 2008 04:18:50 pm
      Good to see the article in todays Echo, Ian. Hopefully you'll see an increase in donations.

Scrapbook to tell the tale of Bob Paisley tribute

A SPECIAL scrapbook chronicling the efforts towards erecting a statue to Reds legend Bob Paisley is to be presented to his family.

A fundraising campaign to place a permanent tribute to the Liverpool icon in his birthplace near Sunderland is already underway.

The Bob Paisley Memorial Appeal aims to raise £5,000 to erect a memorial to the manager who won 19 major trophies in nine years.

The project is backed by Liverpool union Spirit of Shankly and £500 was raised in just half an hour in pubs around Anfield before last Saturday’s game against Reading.

A group of Reds fans came up with the idea, and their efforts are being supported by the people of Bob Paisley’s birthplace, Hetton-le-Hole, including the mayor, Tony Wilkinson.

They want to give Bob’s elderly wife Jessie a book which details the story of how the memorial was erected.

The target fundraising figure is £5,000, but the group are still a long way short and are asking for help.

Appeal organiser Ian Graves said: “While predecessor Bill Shankly has been honoured in his hometown of Glenbuck, the only tribute to Paisley in Hetton-le-Hole is a small plaque.

“In 52 years of loyal service to Liverpool Football Club, Bob was a player, physiotherapist, coach, manager and director. His achievements will surely be unsurpassed in the game. In short, Bob Paisley is a world football great.

“We approached the Paisley family with our idea to construct a memorial.

“They were delighted with the idea and would love to see this become a reality.

“We have since met with stonemasons and construction firms in the area. The granite has been ordered and will be with us in plenty of time for the summer.

“The next step is to liaise with the construction companies we are talking to in the north east and we aim to do that very soon.”

Link to article

The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #26: Mar 23, 2008 01:05:56 am
      We have seen a little increase in donations redkenny, and thanks for putting that write up in this thread. Can I just make sure that everyone is clear about one thing, though. We are NOT building a statue. We did stress this to the echo, and certain other papers but they don't seem to know what the Shankly memorial is like. Its about five foot by four foot and is a granite tablet set into a brick or stone structure. it looks the absolute business and is very fitting and we propose to follow suit for one for Bob Paisley in hetton-le-Hole.

About our recent donations, we have started getting more letters for Mrs Paisley which we will include in the scrap book. Every single one will get to her and I know she will really appreciate them.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #27: Mar 23, 2008 03:10:04 am
      Can I just make sure that everyone is clear about one thing, though. We are NOT building a statue. We did stress this to the echo, and certain other papers but they don't seem to know what the Shankly memorial is like. Its about five foot by four foot and is a granite tablet set into a brick or stone structure. it looks the absolute business and is very fitting and we propose to follow suit for one for Bob Paisley in hetton-le-Hole.

Certainly does look the business mate.

Thanks for all the graft you're putting into this Ian. It really does mean a lot.
      The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #28: Mar 24, 2008 07:50:11 pm
      Announcement regarding the £5 raffle at the fundraiser.

The top prize for the raffle is a shirt signed by the Liverpool team that beat Inter Milan at the San Siro.

This wonderful prize has been given to us by our friends at LFC.TV who have been a fantastic help for this fans initiative.

Other items have been donated by Bob at retro reds who is another great friend of this campaign. Please check Retro Reds website for details of the very special photograph that is available to buy to help our campaign and many more fantastic items for Liverpool supporters everywhere

http://www.retroreds.co.uk/1.html

Another great prize has been donated by Graham Paisley and this is a signed photograph of one of Bob’s great sides. Not everyone has signed this but the likes of Dalglish, Souness etc. are all on there and it comes from the Paisley Family’s personal collection.

Tickets for the raffle are only available on the night to people who attend the fundraiser, which takes place at The Sandon near the stadium on March 29th, the night before the Everton game.

Some tickets are still available for the fundraiser but it may be a bit late now for postal applications. Tickets are £10.00 and are available from the HJC shop opposite the Albert, The shop is open Monday to Friday 10.00 till 14.00. Telephone 0151 260 5262.

Or email us on paisleymemorial@hotmail.co.uk to reserve your tickets.

Don’t forget, some tickets are still left for what promises to be a memorable night but you’ll have to be quick.

Thank you,

Ian Graves.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #29: Mar 24, 2008 09:29:52 pm
      Excellent stuff Ian and everyone else involved.  I will publish a draft of your text on the website.  (Seeing you on that platform reminded me of the Soviet Union government for some reason though).
      The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #30: Mar 25, 2008 08:26:18 pm
      Seeing you on that platform reminded me of the Soviet Union government for some reason though.

Didn't it! I thought I looked like a scouse Alf Garnett  ;D

We've just taken delivery of a T shirt donated by the New York Reds, signed by Ian Callaghan. Its absolutely BOSS and going in the raffle.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #31: Mar 29, 2008 12:54:08 pm
      Nobody got back to me about this.  Not sure if your tickets are all gone but http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2008/paisley-fundraiser-tonight/
      The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #32: Apr 01, 2008 01:31:04 am
      What a great night the fund raiser was!

Many thanks to Bob at retroreds for the huge amount of lovely signed stuff for the raffle and our great friends at LFC TV for filming on the night and donating the star prize of the signed shirt from the San Siro. This was won by a red who goes EVERYWHERE with LFC and was very well deserved. Well done!

Thanks to everyone who came to support us and a big thank you to all the fantasic acts who entertained so well all evening.

The funds raised from this event came to £2,376, a fantastic amount. Thank you all for your generosity.

Ian.
      The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #33: Jun 22, 2008 07:28:30 pm
      Hello everyone!

MANY APOLOGIES for not posting updates on this website. this is entirely all my fault. I wasn't aware this topic had been moved and assumed it had been binned for some reason. What I should have done is simply searched the site.

I'll bring you up to speed then add the latest update so that you know where we're at and I'll deffo keep this thread updated from now on.

Right, since the fund raiser a football tourny was held in Ireland by irishkop.com. It was a really good day and raised around £1700 for the campaign. Another major contributor recently was the Coleraine supporters club of Northern ireland who raised £600 at their annual dinner dance. Several other supporters clubs from the north where in attendance and their contribution is greatly appreciated. Myself and my son Jack held our sponsored walk up Scafell Pike, the countries highest peak, and did it in 9 hours! I'd like to say this was because Jack is only 12 and I kept stopping for him but, alas, it was all down to me. I had to sit in a hot bath for a fortnight to get over the punishment my old bones took! Anyway, jack took over the fund raising for this and raised a magnificent £400. Well done son!

the campaign got bogged down for about 4-6 weeks by a couple of companies from the north east of England that we where working with and we decided not to continue with them but thanked them for their help. After this we got going with an architect and used the experience of one of our team, who is a builder by trade, to negotiate with builders near to HLH with the right skills to help us. Since this slight reorganisation the campaign has FLOWN along.

So, here's the latest update......

The latest news in the campaign is that the final draft of the plans have been handed to Hetton-le-Hole council for their perusal and they will hand them to Sunderland City Council for the actual planning process to begin.

While that is going on we have approached a small number of builders with the appropriate level of skill for our kind of project. I left this update until very late on in case we’d had a quote back from one of them but we haven’t yet. We think we can expect that this coming week.

We know what kind of materials we’re looking for so it’s just a matter of sourcing that. All of the work will be carried out by craftsmen local to the Hetton-le-Hole area and the materials will be sourced from there too if we can.

We cannot give a date for completion until we get the go-ahead to build from the council but we’ll be ready to build as soon as we get the nod. For that reason we’re winding down the fund raising side of the campaign. Again, we’ve still to receive quotes from the builders but we’re confident that we’ve got enough funds and we don’t want to ask for money that we may not need. If we do need any more funds then we’ll step up the fund raising and hold another event, but we’d like to thank every single person who donated their hard earned money to Bob’s memorial.

If anyone still wants a T shirt they are still available, although we can only order them in certain numbers now. Please email us at paisleymemorial@hotmail.co.uk with your order and we’ll do our very best to accommodate you. The T shirt showing Bob with the old fellers in HLH is really going down well and the other very popular design shows Bob with the European Cup in ‘77. 

One more thing, during this campaign we’ve had a lot of lovely letters from people telling us about when they met Bob and some have even been lucky enough to have their photo’s took with the great man. This gave us an idea. As you know, Jessie Paisley is following our progress very closely and really likes the idea of what we’re doing. We’ve decided it would be a nice idea to collect all the stories and photos in a scrap book to present to Mrs Paisley after we’ve built the memorial. We’ll include all the relevant stuff that we’ve got from the actual building, like the plans for example, and all the stories and photos will also go in. We’re calling this A Scrapbook for Mrs Paisley and it will never go into publication, it will be only for Mrs Paisley as a nice keepsake of what we’ve all done for Bob. So, did you meet Bob? Got a nice story or a photograph? Send them along to paisleymemorial@hotmail.co.uk and leave the rest to us. Don’t forget to include your name and where abouts your from (for example Ian from Garston in Liverpool) and we’ll take it from there.

Thanks very much everyone and we hope to get a few nice stories to present to Jessie when we’ve finished.

Ian.

So thats the very latest and, again, my sincere apologies for keeping you in the dark. I'll update this thread as soon as there is anything else to let you know.

Ian.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #34: Jun 22, 2008 07:47:54 pm
      Excellent news.  Let's hope the council are more than accomodating.

A tremendous achievement and well done for all the hard work involved in getting the ball rolling on this one Ian.

We look forward to seeing the work progressing. 

So anybody got any Bob Paisley stories?  Not before my time, but before my conscious Liverpool supporting years.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Bob Paisley Memorial Thread (updated)
      Reply #35: Jun 22, 2008 08:48:02 pm
      Well Done Ian, thats great news, cant wait to see the Memorial when its all sorted !!  ;D
      MsGerrard
      Reply #36: Jun 22, 2008 11:25:01 pm
      I've got some old cine film of Bob driving his Capri into Melwood  :laugh: and some photo's somewhere, will have to root them out.
      The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #37: Jun 23, 2008 12:30:20 am
      Thanks very much for the kind words, and thats very good of you to look for those pictures for us MsGerrard, exactly the kind of thing we're looking for along with the little stories behind them.

Don't forget, we won't be keeping anyones pictures, we're suggesting they are scanned and emailed rather than posted. We'll sort the printing and the only people that will see them are us and the Paisley family.
      The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #38: Jun 24, 2008 11:58:26 pm
      An article on this subject ran on the TV the other night. Its dead good and here it is in two parts of 5 minutes each.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kvxIF3GwJzQ

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou_sic9Y2-8
      MsGerrard
      Reply #39: Jun 25, 2008 08:41:24 am
      Cheers for that link Ian, I watched that with great pride.

I remember in 1977 when we first won the European Cup, Bob saying that he wanted to savour every moment of the occasion, he never touched a drop of alcohol, he just wanted to remember the night for what it was.

Great memories from a great man.
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #40: Jun 25, 2008 06:26:26 pm
      That's awesome, Ian.  Well played, sir!   And good to hear that you got lots of great support from Ireland. 

Those two videos filled my tears with pride. 

Bob was an awesome man.  And despite me being up in that graveyard a couple of times (St Peters in Woolton), looking for the famed Eleanor Rigby gravestone.....it wasn't until about 18 months ago that I learned that Bob Paisley was buried up in that same small graveyard.  Jeepers, I wish I had know that when I was in the graveyard. 
      The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #41: Jul 19, 2008 09:50:39 pm
      Hello again everyone.

Firstly I’d like to thank a company from the North East called GENTOO for donating a very generous £500 for our campaign. A number of company’s in the area have donated money but this is far and away the largest donation of its kind. Thanks very much to GENTOO who I know do a LOT of good work for the people of the North East and Sunderland in particular.

This is the last donation we will be accepting as the fund raising part of the campaign is now CLOSED. A heartfelt THANK YOU to all of you who have donated in any way to this memorial.

We’ve been mad busy in recent weeks getting everything sorted out but we’ve finally got there.

The plans are in and we’re only waiting for the council to officially give us the go-ahead to build. This will happen, barring any objections, on Monday 28th July. The council committee have already looked at them and the planning consultant was very impressed with our work to date and could see no problem whatsoever with granting approval.

The builder has been hired. He’s local to the Hetton-le-Hole area and has been recommended to us by the planning consultant who is familiar with his previous work. The builder has also stated on quite a few occasions how proud he’d be to build the memorial.

The final wording on the granite tablet has been decided on and the engravers are chiselling away at that.

So now all there is to decide on is the actual date of the unveiling. After consultation with all the relevant parties we all agree that, as long as planning permission is granted on July 28th, a fantastic opportunity to unveil is before the first game of the season away to Sunderland, AUGUST 16th.

I will announce this date officially after planning permission has been granted but put it this way, I’ve booked my hotel for the Friday and Saturday nights!

Check this thread on Monday 28th of July for the expected announcement of AUGUST 16th.

Not long now till Bob get his memorial in his hometown.

Ian.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #42: Jul 19, 2008 10:15:07 pm
      A fitting tribute to a most wonderful man.

Well Done to you Ian and all those who have been involved in getting this project off the ground.

RIP Bob.

You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #43: Jul 19, 2008 10:39:51 pm
      Thanks very much for the kind words Ms Gerrard. It has been a lot of hard work but we're nearly there now.

By the way, did you manage to dig out those photo's you mentioned earlier in this thread? They where for Mrs Paisley's scrapbook, remember?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #44: Jul 19, 2008 11:43:44 pm
      Thanks very much for the kind words Ms Gerrard. It has been a lot of hard work but we're nearly there now.

By the way, did you manage to dig out those photo's you mentioned earlier in this thread? They where for Mrs Paisley's scrapbook, remember?

I apologise Ian, to be honest I haven't, they are in the loft, and I promise I will have a look up there tomorrow, shout at me if I haven't done it, but I'll try my best to have a look asap  :)
      The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #45: Jul 20, 2008 08:05:01 pm
      I apologise Ian, to be honest I haven't, they are in the loft, and I promise I will have a look up there tomorrow, shout at me if I haven't done it, but I'll try my best to have a look asap  :)

Nice one, thanks for going to all the trouble but it'll be well worth it when Jessie gets her book.

Quick Reply