Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Bob Paisley Memorial Thread (updated)

Read 32842 times
      MsGerrard
      Re: Bob Paisley Memorial Thread (updated)
      Reply #46: Jul 20, 2008 08:10:46 pm
      Nice one, thanks for going to all the trouble but it'll be well worth it when Jessie gets her book.

You've reminded me !!!!

I'm going up there now ............Promise  ;D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #47: Jul 20, 2008 09:16:43 pm
      Brilliant stuff Ian. I can't wait to see what it looks like mate. Thanks as always for keeping us all updated on the progress of the memorial.

I think the suggested date for the unveiling is fantastic. And I admire yourself and all other parties involved for getting this off the ground (no pun intended) and making it happen.

The great Bob Paisley, You'll Never Walk Alone.
      the faith healer
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 91 posts | 16 
      Reply #48: Jul 23, 2008 10:06:56 pm
      Last summer, myself and a few like-minded Reds who use the supporters website www.onthekop.com went to Glenbuck to see the memorial to Bill Shankly. It was more of a pilgrimage really and it struck us that only Liverpool supporters could do something like that to pay homage to one of our greats. Last Christmas thoughts turned to where to visit next and the obvious choice was Hetton-le-Hole, the birth place of Bob Paisley. I looked into it and found that the only memorial to the great man in his hometown was a small plaque high on the wall of one of Bobs former schools.

Our immediate thought was that the supporters of Liverpool Football Club may be able to improve on that.

We think that if a memorial exists for Bill Shankly at the town of his birth then Bob Paisley should be honoured in the same way.

Bob Paisley is our most successful manager with a total of 3 European Cups, 6 League Titles, 3 League Cups, 1 UEFA Cup, 1 European Super Cup and 5 Charity Shields. Bob was named Manager Of The Year 6 times.

All this during a managerial career spanning just 9 seasons.

In 52 years of loyal service to Liverpool Football club, Bob was a player, physiotherapist, coach, manager and director. His achievements will surely be unsurpassed in the game.

In short, Bob Paisley is a World Football Great.

We approached the Paisley family in Liverpool with our idea to construct a memorial to Bob in Hetton-le-Hole. The Paisley family are delighted with the idea and would love to see this become a reality.

We then approached Hetton Town Council. They were really impressed with the idea and in early January invited us to Hetton to meet some of the local councillors and to show us around a few potential sites for the proposed memorial. We have since met with stone masons and construction firms in the Hetton-le-Hole area.

The local people of Hetton-le-Hole are very keen on this idea and fully support it.

Since then things have moved on to the point that we’re ready to commission the project, which will be similar to the Glenbuck memorial.

So now its up to us, the supporters of Liverpool F.C, to make this a reality.

We have decided to open this appeal fund so that supporters from home and abroad can make this happen. What we’re looking for is for supporters either through personal donations or as supporters clubs/organisations to donate whatever they can so that we can get this done as soon as possible, hopefully this summer.

We have already contacted as many supporters clubs as we can in case they need time to organise any fund raising events, should they wish.

A fund raising night is planned by us at The Sandon on March 29th. Details will be available soon, and tickets will be an affordable £10.

Myself and my 12 year old son Jack Graves will be doing a sponsored walk up Englands highest peak Scafell Pike towards the end of April, more details of this will be released soon.

Some websites and supporters clubs have already expressed an interest in holding events so that they can raise funds while celebrating the achievements of Bob Paisley.

If anyone would like further information please contact us at paisleymemorial@hotmail.co.uk

FUND RAISING ACTIVITIES ARE NOW CLOSED - THANK YOU TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED.

Thank you.

Ian Graves
      For and on behalf of The Bob Paisley Memorial Committee.

paisleymemorial@hotmail.co.uk
      The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #49: Jul 28, 2008 03:23:49 pm
      Here’s what we’ve all been waiting for – Planning permission has been granted!

Everything is in place to begin the work of building Bob’s memorial and the Hetton-le-Hole council are preparing the area for the unveiling date, which is SATURDAY AUGUST 16th. We’re looking for an unveiling time of about 12.30 in the afternoon so that any reds that attend can enjoy the day, have a few beers in Bob Paisley’s home town then head off for the game although the time hasn’t been set just yet.

EVERYBODY is welcome to come along on the day and I hope to see you there. I’ll update this thread with actual times and any other arrangements as soon as they are formalised.

Thank you all very much indeed,

Ian.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #50: Jul 28, 2008 08:20:16 pm
      Ian thats brilliant news, very well done to all involved.  Mrs Paisley will be so proud  ;)
      The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #51: Jul 28, 2008 09:58:14 pm
      Ian thats brilliant news, very well done to all involved.  Mrs Paisley will be so proud  ;)

Thanks Smigger, I've been walking round with a big smile on me face all day! Cannot WAIT to see this go in.
      The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #52: Aug 04, 2008 03:13:52 pm
      Hello everyone,

I met with the Hetton council last Friday to arrange the unveiling time of the memorial. I also met with Dave Jefferson who is building the memorial and I met with wades memorials who are sorting the granite tablet for us. Everything was fine and we are all ready for the big day!

The time of the unveiling is at 1pm on Saturday 16th of August and will take place in Hetton Mini Park.

I’m pleased to announce that Bob’s son Robert Paisley will carry out the unveiling. Also in attendance will be the Lady Mayor, Councillor Mrs J Heron.

The Mini Park is where the war memorial is and its right next to a Somerfields supermarket. You can’t really miss this as its right in the town centre of Hetton-le-Hole, just follow the signs for Hetton centre. The Hetton centre is the council offices and is right next to the Eppleton Colliery pitch that Sunderland use for reserve fixtures. There is parking available at the Hetton centre for anyone driving up.

If your looking for Hetton-le-Hole on the map its just north of junction 62 on the A1(M) off the A690.

As I said I spent some time with the builders Dave Jefferson and Sons who are carrying out the work. Dave came very highly recommended and is local to the area, which was one of our must haves. He’s a great lad and came up with the idea of a time capsule under the memorial. We think that’s a lovely touch and shows the pride that Dave Jefferson and Sons have in the work they’re doing for the Bob Paisley memorial.

So it should be a good start to the new season and we hope you come along and see the unveiling of the Bob Paisley memorial.

EVERYBODY is more than welcome.

Ian.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #53: Aug 04, 2008 04:53:47 pm
      Thanks for keeping us updated mate.

For the benefit of anyone thinking of making the trip up to Hetton-le-Hole, do you know roughly how long it might take by car to get there from Liverpool and do you know the postal code for the area where the park is?

Great news that Bobs son Robert will be carrying out the unveiling. Exciting times.

Cheers Ian!
      The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #54: Aug 04, 2008 08:23:43 pm
      It takes us about 4 hours to get up there redkenny and we usually sack the M62 in favour of the M6 route. We get off the M6 at Tebay and take the A roads through Kirby Stephen and Barnard castle till we hit the A1(M). We find the M62 route to be a lot slower than the M6 because of the weight of traffic

The post code of the Hetton Centre is DH5 9NE. Thats where you'll park and its a two minute walk to the mini park.

Just checked the M6 route and its 161 miles from our house.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #55: Aug 04, 2008 11:06:21 pm
      Cheers mate. Much appreciated.

Really happy this has all come to a happy conclusion.

This has to be a stop off for anyone going the game that day. Hopefully a few people can post their pics ect of the day.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #56: Aug 06, 2008 08:02:00 am
      This is tremendous news.

A huge well done to everyone involved in this project.  Look forward to the unveiling.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #57: Aug 12, 2008 03:59:28 pm
      A special memorial to honour the life and achievements of the great Bob Paisley will be unveiled in his hometown of Hetton-Le-Hole on Saturday. 
      Following a unique and dedicated campaign by a group of Liverpool supporters, a memorial in the form of a stone surround and engraved granite plaque will be erected in Bob Paisley's honour.

This will give the residents of Hetton-Le-Hole a lasting and fitting tribute to one of their greatest sons.

The unveiling will be on Saturday at 1pm in Hetton mini park, Hetton-Le-Hole. The ceremony will be performed by the Mayor of Hetton, Councillor Mrs J Heron, Bob's son Robert Paisley and Ian Graves, Chairman of the Bob Paisley Memorial Committee. 

lfc.tv

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did some research and it is a bit away but what better way to spend a Saturday then paying tribute to the man who reshaped this great club.

This just makes all those 'fans' who boo the team look so insignificant and these guys who set this up make you proud. The spirit of Liverpool lives on.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #58: Aug 13, 2008 10:17:36 am
      Massive respect to Ian and the rest of the commitee for all the hard work and efforts. a great day for all Redmen
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #59: Aug 13, 2008 01:12:19 pm
      So happy this has come together! Huge congratulations to those who organised it.

What a better way of honouring the great man!
      The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #60: Aug 19, 2008 08:28:41 pm
      I’m very proud to announce that the Bob Paisley Memorial has been unveiled.

Hundreds of Liverpool supporters, Sunderland supporters and local townsfolk turned out for the occasion. The Paisley family where represented by Bobs son Robert Paisley and his brother Hughie among many others. Hetton town clerk John Price organised the day and the lady Mayor Mrs J Heron oversaw the days events.

The memorial was very well received and everybody was delighted to see it but, most importantly, the Paisley family where thrilled to see the great Bob Paisley honoured in this way in his home town.

On behalf of the Bob Paisley memorial committee I’d like to thank the moderators of this website for allowing us to publicise our appeal here and I’d like to thank each and every one of you who supported this fans initiative in any way, be it by buying a T shirt, donating money or generally supporting us in any way at all.

Each and every one of you should feel immensely proud of yourselves.

I’d also like to thank John Moore and Peter Etherington of www.onthekop.com for allowing their LFC website to be the home of the Bob Paisley Memorial campaign.

If anyone is still to visit Hetton-le-Hole to see the memorial that you have helped build then you may be interested to hear that Liverpool FC reserves are playing Sunderland reserves in Hetton-le-Hole on SEPTEMBER 17TH  with a 7pm kick off time. The game is being played on the former Eppleton Colliery Pitch which is situated at the Hetton Centre, just a short walk from where the memorial is sited with an entrance fee of something like £3 so, if your in the area or are visiting from further afield, why not take the game in at the same time.

The postcode for the Hetton Centre is DH5 9NE if you’d like to check google maps.

I’d also like to announce that LFC.TV are showing a special half hour documentary on Thursday 21st August at 7pm which covers the unveiling very well. In the meantime, here are three youtube clips of the day itself

Part One
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=P8nAaUt5qFc&feature=related

Part Two
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=wpie558bFrM&feature=related

Part Three
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=yr2TheQvCdE&feature=related

So, that’s it. Our crusade is over.

Thank you all very much indeed.

The Bob Paisley Memorial Committee

John Marquis
      Glynn Jones
      Tony Magill
      Kevin Lynch
      Beverley Jervis
      Robbie Ashcroft
      Phil Pryce
      Andrew Swift
      And finally, Peter Etherington and myself, Ian Graves.

Now then. Billy Liddell….. ;D

smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #61: Aug 19, 2008 08:41:03 pm
      Thanks for that TBPM !!  Absolutely brilliant, the memorial is first class, a fitting tribute to the great man himself, very well done to everyone who organised this, you should all be very proud of yourselves.  :kop5cf8koxp6:   
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #62: Aug 19, 2008 09:26:39 pm

:lmao: Great stuff!

I've already expressed my delight and thanks in the thread in the Kop mate.  But once again I'd just like to say a massive thanks to all the The Bob Paisley Memorial Committee and everyone else who made this possible.

Well in Ian!! And well done to your lad for doing that treck!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #63: Aug 19, 2008 10:37:53 pm
      I would like to echo those thoughts above, a very special Well Done to all those involved.

Bob will never be forgotten.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #64: Aug 19, 2008 10:58:16 pm
      I feel a bit bad for stealing the thunder by posting on The Kop yesterday when I didn't get to go but there are some other pictures in here
      http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,9000.0.html

And well done Ian, and everyone involved.
      The Bob Paisley Memorial
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #65: Aug 20, 2008 05:48:16 pm
      I feel a bit bad for stealing the thunder by posting on The Kop yesterday when I didn't get to go but there are some other pictures in here
      http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,9000.0.html

And well done Ian, and everyone involved.

There's no need to feel bad at all JD, in fact I'd like to thank you for doing it. I couldn't get anything across the sites any earlier as I'd made a pigs ear of all my photo's and had to start again  ;D

This site has been a great friend of the campaign and it was always a pleasure to read the feedback.

Again, thanks for having me. Its very much appreciated.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #66: Aug 20, 2008 11:37:50 pm
      One of my mates went to this.  Said it was a pretty emotional affair.

Good on you lot.  Damn right Liddell up next.

Quick Reply