Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Inter Milan V's Liverpool - Match Thread

Read 14226 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Inter Milan V's Liverpool - Match Thread
      Reply #276: Mar 12, 2008 07:49:48 am
       Mission accomplished and revenge for 1965 achieved.Thank you RAFA and the team for an excellent result, you did us proud.I bet Bill Shankly,Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan had big smiles on their faces after putting Inter out.I watched the match on ESPN and must congratulate the REDS SUPPORTERS in the ground,you were certainly heard and gave the lads great support-WELL DONE.
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #277: Mar 12, 2008 08:22:49 am
      While we're doing movie themes...check this one out!

YNWA!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #278: Mar 12, 2008 08:49:45 am
      Good morning fellow redmen and women. It feels great waking up this morning knowing we didnt play particularly well but came out of the san siro with a win. If the other English teams done that the press would be wetting themselves over it but we are still being written off as potential winners. Thats fine with me

I posted yesterday that I wanted us to beat them for Shanks and the boys of 65 so I hope that it goes some way for that group of lads in making up for there loss to Inter.

Torres again gets the plaudits and rightly so but Mascherano again was outstanding for me and Skrtel apart from his intercepted pass early in the second half was solid. Pepe done his bit when needed. Overall a solid performance and I wouldnt fear anyone thats left in fact Id say they all want to avoid us!!

Final word for the travelling reds. In a stadium of 90000 mostly inter fans you were unreal. The songs could be heard on tv loud and clear despite the fact you were vastly outnumbered. Respect to all of you

Y.N.W.A

frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #279: Mar 12, 2008 09:36:26 am
      Hello!

I'm new on this forum. My favourite club has always been Real Betis but I have also followed LFC since I was little, so you can say that LFC is my second club. I enjoyed watching the Champions league match, great goal from Torres :D

PS: Sorry my english, I'm norwegian :)
      welcome Betisfan, to what is Probably the greatest forum in the world ? according to our sponsers ! ;D
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #280: Mar 12, 2008 09:39:37 am
      Well done reds!
      We played consistently the same which actually helped us. We may have deserved to concede a couple to the Inter, but the ability to win when the result could have gone the other way is a good skill to have. Where's that Inter fan which was on the forum, i don't blame him for not posting any more though. I thought it was great when i read about, 'What ever happens, in Istanbul 2005, thank you Liverpool' which if you hadn't read or seen was the banner held up by the Inter fans.
      I am delighted! Rafa is a genius!
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #281: Mar 12, 2008 09:58:12 am
      I'm still in the clouds. I really wonder what happened to the Internazionale dude...

At the end of the day Inter is a strong side...and if we label them as rubish we'd only be discrediting the hard work that was done by our boys to overpower them.

Well done RAFA for keeping it simple and very effective with the team selection...and well done to the players for not letting ALL OF US down. Last but not least ...well done to all the scousers and adopted scousers who took over the San Siro last night. YNWA!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #282: Mar 12, 2008 10:01:32 am
      Ohhhhhhhhh what a day. Funny thing is, Mancini promised 15 let alone did they score 1! Credit to their fans for standing and applauding our fella's and that banner for Istanbul was brilliant :D

Special mention to Fabio Aurellio, akthough i thought everyone had a blinder of a match, he impressed me very much. That long ball to Babel was oh so difficult to do and did it with precision, his passing down the flank was awesome and just had that air of confidence. Here's hoping he stays injury free and can build his career and become a better player.

Martin Skrtel too, growing into our guaranteed CB for me atm. What a match. Besides that little error to Zlatan (always going to miss ;) ) he was awesome. Masch too and Stevie and Nando for some. F**k was just awesome, what a night/morning!!!! Roll on to F***ing those scum bas**rds up!

Walk on with Liverpool in your hearts!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #283: Mar 12, 2008 10:27:51 am
      Great story emerging from the LFC Madrid Supporters Branch from last night...

Nando's older brother Carlos turned up at the Triskel Cavern (our spiritual home) to watch his brother play - look at link, he is the bloke in the LFC shirt.

http://www.liverpool-madrid.blogspot.com/

I didn't actually go (gutted) as I promised Jr Madrid Red to watch it at home, almost a supersticion now as we never lose a CL game when I stay at home with my boy to watch the game ...BUT must both have all the LFC gear on while we do so ...it's getting silly... I know.

Anyway, turns out Carlos Torres got bought a pint by half the pub and was slightly pissed upon exit... apparently got a bit emotional as it's the first time his brother has put this kind of performance on such a stage (CL and San Siro). Excellent...

Anyway, here is one to make you lot jealous... I wasn't going to say, as a few of you would say I'm off my rocker (again) - but will do anyway... HAVING DINNER WITH GUILLEM BALAGUE TONIGHT along with 4 other blokes from the branch... it's taken us ages to set-up... but tonight it's actually happening and I can't wait to meet the bloke, get him to sign his book on Rafa and a couple of Rafalution shirts I've had made up and chat about all things Reds (a couple of the lads hot footing straight from Barajas airport to the restaurant just in time, as they were in Milano last night - hopefully they've had a wash and some paracetamol today!!!).

Should be a great evening.

If you don't believe me... it's not a problem. Honestly.

I R W T

T I O F ("Torres Is On Fire")

p.s. Great work with the "Italian Job" Eddie - just sent to half the planet. Gerrrrin.

Very Proud Day To Be A Red.

kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #284: Mar 12, 2008 10:58:30 am
      Excellent result it wasnt the best of games with the ref been a bit card happy but job well done,Torres took his goal brilliantly and Pepe made some good saves,cant wait for the draw on friday.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #285: Mar 12, 2008 11:04:45 am
      Saw the highlights. But from the sounds of it it was all them until we scored, then we took control big time. Want us to get another foreign team in the Champions League, its what its there for.. we can play English teams in the Premiership, FA Cup, Carling Cup etc so lets play a foreign team which can only be played in this competition!

Barca or Roma will do nicely ;)
      If Barca are knocked out next round, then I'm 100% sure its an English team to win it as Schalke or Roma won't win it, no chance! Neither will Fenerbache
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #286: Mar 12, 2008 11:15:34 am
       Reina- Saved us twice in the first half. Transmited confidence to the back four. Brilliant.

Carragher- Good performance overall.

Hyypia- Solid in defense, brilliant in the air, no mistakes.

Skrtel- Apart from his mistake in the second half, Brillant, I was unsure about this lad when we got him, but I hold my hands up, I was wrong.

Aurelio- Best performance of the season so far. Good on the ball; careful with it and applied good pressure further up the pitch.

Mascherano- brilliant distributing the ball; simple accurate passes; understood the game. MOTM

Lucas- Average. Good second half.

Gerrard- Always a threat on the break; good ball distribution especially in the second half, fierce defending when necessary.

Kuyt- Bad 1st half; lots of mistakes on the ball and bad controls. Gave away to many free kicks, Better 2nd half.

Babel- too many mistakes when going forward; oftenly chose the wrong play/pass/shot; clumsy in his yellow card and intentionally handed a ball that could cost us a red card, would like to see him play on the right.

Torres- Brilliant. Good work rate, great applying pressure upfront. Brilliant finish.

Overall- Great team performance. Benitez is a Champions League master.

EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #287: Mar 12, 2008 11:25:03 am

I can't believe that in my pissed state last night I managed to do such a good cut of Torres so quickly :D

I never saved it though, could've used it in a sig :(

My head is absolutely pounding this morning, I fell asleep on the couch & didn't get any water in me so I'm suffering for it now. I don't care though, cos we're in the draw & that's all that matters.

I'm not sure if I'll be allowed back in my local again, as I said near the start of the thread there were loads of Inter fans there, and I duly gave them a lot of stick. Half the game's a blur TBH, the only bits I can really remember are the goal, the lovely through ball that was just too far ahead of Babel, the red card & that brilliant save by Pepe near the start. Probably too much time spent up on a table singing songs to the Inter fans :D :D :D
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #288: Mar 12, 2008 11:28:47 am
      Sterling performance, the guys showed grit and on the whole a welcome composure at the back...bar a few streaky moments here and there. So chuffed for Torres. He wanted to compete on the highest level against the best in Europe and he did not disappoint. He once again proved his pedigree as among the elite and will only get better as he plays. We were compact and blunted the Inter threat reducing them to frustration and bouts of sudden paralysis when in close proximity to a pressing Liverpool player.

We're through, no worries. Bring on the Mancs...please.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6728 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #289: Mar 12, 2008 12:09:53 pm
      post match press conference.

Hopefully Rafa plays Torres against Reading and listening to him, sounds like Xabi isn't going anywhere...fingers crossed.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1126121770/bctid1452258213
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #290: Mar 12, 2008 12:11:48 pm

Rafa hasn't got an alternative for Xabi yet, in fact it may only come in as part of the SAME deal ...but offers for Xabi are there and will continue to come in.

Don't bet your house on Xabi being here next season...

IRWT
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #291: Mar 12, 2008 12:39:28 pm
      Saw this, and thou rt of you Eddie;  :lmao:

DRINK, STEAL, SWEAR & LIE

I met this guy while I was in Liverpool and he has
      a motto he lives by everyday. He said listen carefully and
      live by these 4 rules : Drink, Steal, Swear, & Lie.
       I was shaking my head 'no', but he then told me to listen
      while he explained his four rules.

So here they are :
      1.. "Drink" from the "everlasting cup" every day. (Its only when your sober up, you have a hangover).
      2.. "Steal" a moment to help someone that is in worse shape
       than you are.
       3.. "Swear" that you will be a better person today than
       yesterday.
       4.. And last, but not least, when you "lie" down at night
       thank God you live in England and have freedom.

I am not as good as I should be, I am not as good
      as I could be . but THANK GOD
       I am better than I used to be !

Have a good day/  :ernaehrung004:
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #292: Mar 12, 2008 01:49:43 pm
      Class game last night the back four were on the mark with closing down Inter when they posed a threat, midfield looked good too, was anyone actually marking Kuyt btw? he had tons of space on the right to run into.  Torres' goal was superb and sums him up amid all the doubters who are saying he needs more time to settle in, 26 goals in his first season is pretty good on all accounts. 

Bring on Barca!
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #293: Mar 12, 2008 01:53:48 pm
      Well having now recovered from the roller coaster of a game and battled my way into work through the gales I think I am calm enough to make a few comments.

It wasn't the worst game I have sat (stood up, jumped about, screamed and swore my way) through.  The wost scenario of them scoring early and us hanging on for 80 odd minutes didn't come to pass and with every minute without them scoring I got more and more relaxed until Torres scored when all the tension melted away.

About the game.  Everyone played well.  I still have my reservations about Kuyt and his propensity top give the ball away but as always you can't criticise his effort.  It could have been so different it they had converted the three one to ones they had with Pepe.  Torres however created two chances for himself (alright I know it was a great pass from Aurelio but he still had to sell the defender the dummy and wrong foot the goalie) and scored one of them.  That was the big difference.  Talking about Aurelio, I have said that the jury is still out on his consistency but with a few more performances like the one last night I think that question will be answered.

Brilliant support from Tommo and his mates.  Well done the much maligned Inter fans for their sportsmanship at the end. 

A great night, revenge for the injustice of 1965, and optimism for our progress in the competition.  We will need a good performance from Xabi in the next few games as I understand (it was announced on Radio Merseyside this morning) that Stevie will be suspended for the first leg of the next round after receiving his third yellow card in the Champions League.

Well done Liverpool. 
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #294: Mar 12, 2008 02:03:44 pm
      What a trip that was! I managed to meet up with Tommo in the square next to the Cathedral and we had a bevvie. The atmosphere was good and everyone come to party! The Italians were fine with us and I haven't heard of anyone having any problems yet. Baby Sham was replaced by a bottle of Champagne on the underground goin to the game and songs were a plenty! I thought our fans were great inside the San Siro, loud and proud! I hope that went some way to make up for the corruption that robbed the side of '65. The Inter fans gave us huge respect and applauded our team and support. But I have to say I felt more intimidated when the pilot was trying to land the plane at Speke at 3.30am in gale force winds than I did by the San Siro's atmosphere!!

So who will we get? Who do we want? I'm not really that bothered, we'll have to beat the best if we're going to go to Moscow any way! I would like a foreign team though because I've got itchy feet and 22 Euro's left I me Jeans! ;)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #295: Mar 12, 2008 02:08:50 pm
      I would like a foreign team though because I've got itchy feet and 22 Euro's left I me Jeans! ;)

Brilliant post lad.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #296: Mar 12, 2008 02:12:50 pm
      What a trip that was! I managed to meet up with Tommo in the square next to the Cathedral and we had a bevvie. The atmosphere was good and everyone come to party! The Italians were fine with us and I haven't heard of anyone having any problems yet. Baby Sham was replaced by a bottle of Champagne on the underground goin to the game and songs were a plenty! I thought our fans were great inside the San Siro, loud and proud! I hope that went some way to make up for the corruption that robbed the side of '65. The Inter fans gave us huge respect and applauded our team and support. But I have to say I felt more intimidated when the pilot was trying to land the plane at Speke at 3.30am in gale force winds than I did by the San Siro's atmosphere!!

So who will we get? Who do we want? I'm not really that bothered, we'll have to beat the best if we're going to go to Moscow any way! I would like a foreign team though because I've got itchy feet and 22 Euro's left I me Jeans! ;)

Alright mate!

Good to hear you've had a safe trip back.  Sounded exciting then!  The winds were awful last night in the early hours, thought it was going to blow me windows off!  ::)

Tell you what though.  I must say Torres's goal made them put their dummies in their gobs.  The next one will be because they only had 10 men in both matches!

Good to see vengeance has been served after the controversy when Shanks went down there in 65'.  Job done.  Those Euros might come in handy if we end up getting Roma!  ;)

donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #297: Mar 12, 2008 02:19:56 pm
      The winds were awful last night in the early hours, thought it was going to blow me windows off!  ::)

Courty, I thought I told you change Curry house after footy games...
      koppiteal
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      • CMON THE REDS
      Reply #298: Mar 12, 2008 02:38:35 pm
      It was because we beat AC in the Final in 2005 the Inter Fans Luved it
      What was this banner they made I'm hearing about? I didn't see it on SS2? Said something like "No matter the result tonight, thank you for 2005, we'll never forget"?

:D
      [/quote]

Quick Reply