Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Need a new WORLD-CLASS midfielder next season

Read 2675 times
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Need a new WORLD-CLASS midfielder next season
      Mar 11, 2008 07:11:06 pm
      Guillem Balague has just said on La Liga show that Xabi is as good as gone from Liverpool in the summer.

Big statement - Xabi has gone - because this is coming from one of the, if not the, most reliable press sources at the club.

This means we need a new midfielder next season, a new world-class HOLDING midfielder - as Lucas can't do that job.

Who do we go for peeps?

My vote would be to go for Diarra from Real Madrid... better than Momo, needs to mature in the head though.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Re: Need a new WORLD-CLASS midfielder next season
      Reply #1: Mar 11, 2008 07:31:23 pm
      Lucas is improving game by game in my opinion.  Still very young and I think he could have a promising future.

I'd say a world class winger to replace Pennant would be more appropriate to our needs, and another Torres as well please.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #2: Mar 11, 2008 09:36:33 pm
      I'd stick with Guthrie, Spearing and Plessis rather than bring in a player...we need wide players on both the wings and the FB positions first IMO...

edit: given a choice, I'd prefer to keep Xabi...our game looks so much smoother when he's playing...
      « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2008 09:40:31 pm by U-Borat »
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #3: Mar 11, 2008 09:51:50 pm
      Dont think xabi will leave so i will stick with him for next season.

If he leaves which i doubt then yeah i'd just bring guthrie back to be honest he's been doing great at bolton.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #4: Mar 11, 2008 09:53:26 pm
      Dont think xabi will leave so I will stick with him for next season.

If he leaves which I doubt then yeah I'd just bring guthrie back to be honest he's been doing great at bolton.

He's gone, mark my words, Xabi will not be at Liverpool FC in the summer.

Guillem Balague seldomly, if ever, makes wrong predicitions when it comes to LFC - he is too close to Rafa and very much in the know.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #5: Mar 11, 2008 09:55:51 pm
      Oh well i'll believe it when i see it. I just don't see rafa saying i don't want to sell a player he is key to my plans for the future then going bye bye.

When i see it i'll believe.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #6: Mar 11, 2008 10:08:38 pm
      Oh well I'll believe it when I see it. I just don't see rafa saying I don't want to sell a player he is key to my plans for the future then going bye bye.

When I see it I'll believe.

It may not be in Rafa's hands... Xabi's missus may want to bring the baby to Spain... similar situation to King Luis when he wanted to stay but his missus insisted on moving back to Spain.

lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #7: Mar 11, 2008 10:10:51 pm
      But then that completely dismisses Guillem's theory. I am not trying to argue or anything but i dont think he will leave and i prefer to listen to rafa than anyone else that might no 'alot' about the transfers etc.

Rafa is the man i always listen to rather than all the media hype etc. Guillem is a smart man and he doesnt spout his mouth off unless he thinks he is right but i saw rafa talking after the interview and he pretty much confirmed what the situation is with Xabi.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #8: Mar 11, 2008 10:12:24 pm
      It may not be in Rafa's hands... Xabi's missus may want to bring the baby to Spain... similar situation to King Luis when he wanted to stay but his missus insisted on moving back to Spain.

Time to shoot the wife.

On a more important note though, a winger that can play right or left that is World Class will do me.  Suggestions?  Mine will always be Ricardo Quaresma.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #9: Mar 11, 2008 10:15:51 pm
      I agree Court, i want him too would be great if rafa could sign him up and get him playing the role we needon the wings. I really want to see how anderson and Hammill would do for us they seem promising.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #10: Mar 11, 2008 10:16:12 pm
      Guillem is a smart man and he doesnt spout his mouth off unless he thinks he is right but I saw rafa talking after the interview and he pretty much confirmed what the situation is with Xabi.

Exactly Guillem knows his stuff he said "I very much doubt Xabi will be at Liverpool in the summer" and "Rafa knows very well that Xabi isn't the player he once was a couple of years back" and "Atletico are the front runners with a firm offer on the table but expect Real and even Barcelona to make an approach".

Now why would the journo CLOSEST to Rafa for years and years and Rafa's own biography writer bullshit his on Sky tv show like that?

Xabi is going in the summer.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #11: Mar 11, 2008 10:19:40 pm
      Exactly Guillem knows his stuff he said "I very much doubt Xabi will be at Liverpool in the summer" and "Rafa knows very well that Xabi isn't the player he once was a couple of years back" and "Atletico are the front runners with a firm offer on the table but expect Real and even Barcelona to make an approach".

Now why would the journo CLOSEST to Rafa for years and years and Rafa's own biography writer bullshit his on Sky tv show like that?

I think it really is time to admit that he is on his way.

Hopefully he can pick his career back up with a fresh start, good luck to the lad.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #12: Mar 11, 2008 10:30:28 pm
      We already have Gerrard & Mascherano with Lucas Levia to play some role. That is good enough. What we need is another World class Striker that can give Torres a run for his money.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #13: Mar 11, 2008 10:33:35 pm

Equally why would rafa claim Xabi is part of his plans for the future if he isnt. Rafa doesnt do this he isnt that type of stab people in the back man.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #14: Mar 11, 2008 10:48:23 pm
      I would be gutted if Xabi was to leave i like that bloke and the way he plays so much. He did sign a long-term contract I think last summer alongside Pepe.

I dont think that Xabi has dropped off in quality when he plays he has just been really unlucky with injuries and stringing 10 games or so together. The commentator was saying during the match this morning that him and Rafa came to blows again over Xabi staying behind for the birth of his child. Apprently Xabi wanted to come on the morning of the match but this was rejected by Rafa.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #15: Mar 11, 2008 11:16:19 pm
      i seriously doubt rafa will let him go, if anyone is going it will be kewell, riise & voronin. xabi is too important to us. also i pretty much dont pay attention to anything untill rafa actually says something about it.

there are more important roles that need filling ie; wingers, another world class striker and a leftback.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #16: Mar 12, 2008 12:58:17 am
      Equally why would rafa claim Xabi is part of his plans for the future if he isnt. Rafa doesnt do this he isnt that type of stab people in the back man.

Momo Sissoko?

I have to admit I love Xabi & think he's the most intelligent player we have. However, we have a wealth of talent in central midfield and are lacking elsewhere. If we can attract the sort of money that has been mentioned in the past, £30m or so, then I'd be inclined to let him go. The fact that Rafa has bought a player for £10m that is now rated in that price bracket is testament to what he can do, so if he really thinks it's best for the club then I say go for it. I doubt Arsenal fans were happy when Petit & Overmars were sold, but without those sales there could well have been no Henry.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #17: Mar 12, 2008 01:04:11 am
      Thats the thing he didnt say he had no plans to sell momo he sould momo is finding it hard to get in the side, i dont know what will happen in the future anddd momo could leave.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #18: Mar 12, 2008 01:08:28 am
      Thats the thing he didnt say he had no plans to sell momo he sould momo is finding it hard to get in the side, i dont know what will happen in the future anddd momo could leave.

I take it by your spelling you're as pissed as I am? :D :D :D

He signed Momo up on a five year deal, which is as close to a vote of confidence you get these days. Obviously I can't say one way or the other if this will happen, but Ballague is not known to chat sh*t. On the other hand, would Rafa be happy that one of his close confidantes has disclosed this sort of information? If it's known he's willing to sell it's bound to push the price down a bit.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #19: Mar 12, 2008 01:19:49 am
      I wouldn't be surprised at all if Xabi was on his way back to Spain come the summer. But that's not to say I want him to go.

It's not really any media speculation that's been surfacing of late. Although it could have some substance. But when you think of Alonso's form last season and then he's not really been top of the pile coming back from injury this season, then it does make you wonder.
      Lucas is obviously part of Rafa's plans. I think we all know that. And Mascherano is certainly one of the first names on the teamsheet these days. But I think Alonso offers some wise passing and positional play in the midfield. But could money gained from his sale buy a player with as much quality before it's too late? I think so.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #20: Mar 12, 2008 01:58:08 am
      If that was the case we would need a big name to replace him. Perhaps Diego? from Bremen.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #21: Mar 12, 2008 07:14:56 am
      If Guillem Balague says he's going then like many other contributors to this thread, I would tend to believe him, he simply doesn't bullshit, and Rafa's an old fox, it's not beyond him to use Guillem to spread a little verbal aniseed around the market place, after all he's hardly going to but a ad in the Loot!
      Nevertheless, Rafa found him, Rafa brought him on, Rafa has added value to him (circa £5m) and I trust Rafa implicitly to find the right replacement.
      I personally don't think it's going to be a big name signing, expect an unknown!!
      You heard it here first 8)
      Rafa is the master of the transfer market!! (NOW WE JUST NEED A FIRST RATE MONEY MAN TO BACK HIM)
      INRWT
      INDICWT
      WALK ON
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #22: Mar 12, 2008 08:13:46 am
       I tend to believethat this will be Alonsos last season at Anfield,I do not think he has got his form back due to his injuries .Another poster has mentioned his girl friend and in my opinion that is where the problem lies,Lets face it if he has problems at home then it will carry through to the workplace.I would be sorry to see him go but he has only started 10 league games this season so we have had to manage  without him for a big part of the season.Also as previously mentioned we would get a good fee which should represent a good profit.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #23: Mar 12, 2008 08:54:21 am
      Even if we sell him for less than 10 mil we will have got a huge profit for him in the form of what he has done on the field over the field. Its sad that his injuries have been messing him around and he hasnt found his mojo on the field again. I dont want him to leave but if he goes then surley we will get in someone else or.........

.............Damien Plessis in the first team?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #24: Mar 12, 2008 09:33:00 am
      With Real, Barcelona and Atletico all fighting for him i expect it to be around 20-25 million. With that money being thrown around for Xabi i think its too much to pass especially since he hasnt really found the form he showed in his first season consistently.

Who would you want to replace him though? Diarra will grow from the player he is right now under Rafa but his head is my worry. Not that he is unattractive or anything ( ;) ) but he seems to sulk and moan when copping it on the field, he would cost around 15 million. If he can change that than i would go for him. Otherwise i would love a creative midfielder along the lines of Aimar back in his day. Seeing as my brain has gone up the shi**er right now i cant think of anyone.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #25: Mar 12, 2008 10:35:32 am

Transfer fee perhaps... Rafa plays that game to perfection.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #26: Mar 12, 2008 10:53:40 am
      Barca are interested in Xabi right?

I hear Robert Pires says that Thierry Henry is not happy at Barca.

...are you thinking what Im thinking? Torres + Henry?
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #27: Mar 12, 2008 10:54:37 am
      I can see Alonso leaving but we dont need to buy a holding midfielder to replace him weve got Mascherano who is quality so we would be better off spending the money on a world class winger like Quaresma.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #28: Mar 12, 2008 10:59:00 am
      I can see Alonso leaving but we dont need to buy a holding midfielder to replace him weve got Mascherano who is quality so we would be better off spending the money on a world class winger like Quaresma.

We need cover for Mascherano should he get injured, or more to Rafa's style, rotated.

Lucas is not good in the holding role... has been shown up when he tried it alongside Momo.

I'm sure Rafa will find another rough diamond...
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #29: Mar 12, 2008 11:35:06 am
      If he's number's up, then its time to move on. If not, I'm certain he will continue to work his way back to his best. But, to stay on topic...

Who is the question...Lucas is getting there, but not quite there yet. Can't really contribute at this stage but I'm certain Rafa will get someone who will leave us wondering at first but leave us cheering and scream later on...

Walk on...

Shankly and Co, avenged at last...and a touch of the sublime (in Fernando Torres) to spare.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #30: Mar 12, 2008 11:47:23 am
      Are you smoking your socks?? Henry for Xabi?? Yes I want to see that French sook at a tender age of 32 come in and F**k things around. Even though it will never happen just pisses me off how some people think. FFS Henry has shown throughout his career he cant be partnered and relishes in the solo rolem how would he be parnered up with Torres
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #31: Mar 12, 2008 06:05:23 pm
      Sad to see alot of people think xabi will go.

Henry isnt 32 hes 30 thats a big difference even though it doesnt seem it, I'd take him he's amazing but i know he wouldnt come back to england.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #32: Mar 14, 2008 07:07:34 am
      Henry is out of the question. He isnt the player he used to be IMO. I think he left because of his body not being able to handle the physical pressure anymore and looking at his body structure, there isnt much to break a bone. Also, the game in Spain is all about technique which Henry oozes of but its also slower meaning he doesnt have to work as hard. A move to England wont be suitable for him nor us.

I think should Xabi leave, Nigel De Jong maybe as a holding midfielder? Admit i havent seen plenty but what i did see was decent and looked very comfortable in the holding role. The rest should be spent on service from the wings and a man up front ( *cough* Villa! )
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #33: Mar 14, 2008 12:37:08 pm
      I'm agreed that Ballague is probably correct that Xabi will leave in the summer, which is a crying shame!

But as Eddie mentioned, a £10m signing who has delivered for us (particularly on a certain night in May, 2005! :)) who will probably leave for more money is astute business by Benitez! I'll always hold Xabi in the highest regard, the Basque gentleman that he is, but if he needs to go then I wish him the best of luck! :)
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #34: Mar 14, 2008 02:43:04 pm
      I wouldn't want Xabi to leave as his pairing with Masch has released stevieG to play alongside Torres. If he does go can we have another Argentinean please Rafa, oh and also David Villa, Diego (Bremen),Gabbie Heinze and Shaun Wright- Phillips ;D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #35: Mar 14, 2008 08:54:35 pm
      Don no offence mate, but until I see it as an exclusive by Tony Barrett in the echo, I refuse to believe that Xabi is off.

Like the way our Xabi has named his new son Jon!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #36: Mar 14, 2008 08:56:56 pm
      I agree, but i spose we will only see in the transfer market.

Xabi has said he wants his son to spend his first few years in england and rafa has rubbishes newspaper reports of a rift between them so i think he will stay.

Quick Reply