Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Need a new WORLD-CLASS midfielder next season

Read 2676 times
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Re: Need a new WORLD-CLASS midfielder next season
      Reply #23: Mar 12, 2008 08:54:21 am
      Even if we sell him for less than 10 mil we will have got a huge profit for him in the form of what he has done on the field over the field. Its sad that his injuries have been messing him around and he hasnt found his mojo on the field again. I dont want him to leave but if he goes then surley we will get in someone else or.........

.............Damien Plessis in the first team?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #24: Mar 12, 2008 09:33:00 am
      With Real, Barcelona and Atletico all fighting for him i expect it to be around 20-25 million. With that money being thrown around for Xabi i think its too much to pass especially since he hasnt really found the form he showed in his first season consistently.

Who would you want to replace him though? Diarra will grow from the player he is right now under Rafa but his head is my worry. Not that he is unattractive or anything ( ;) ) but he seems to sulk and moan when copping it on the field, he would cost around 15 million. If he can change that than i would go for him. Otherwise i would love a creative midfielder along the lines of Aimar back in his day. Seeing as my brain has gone up the shi**er right now i cant think of anyone.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #25: Mar 12, 2008 10:35:32 am
      Equally why would rafa claim Xabi is part of his plans for the future if he isnt. Rafa doesnt do this he isnt that type of stab people in the back man.

Transfer fee perhaps... Rafa plays that game to perfection.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #26: Mar 12, 2008 10:53:40 am
      Barca are interested in Xabi right?

I hear Robert Pires says that Thierry Henry is not happy at Barca.

...are you thinking what Im thinking? Torres + Henry?
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #27: Mar 12, 2008 10:54:37 am
      I can see Alonso leaving but we dont need to buy a holding midfielder to replace him weve got Mascherano who is quality so we would be better off spending the money on a world class winger like Quaresma.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #28: Mar 12, 2008 10:59:00 am
      I can see Alonso leaving but we dont need to buy a holding midfielder to replace him weve got Mascherano who is quality so we would be better off spending the money on a world class winger like Quaresma.

We need cover for Mascherano should he get injured, or more to Rafa's style, rotated.

Lucas is not good in the holding role... has been shown up when he tried it alongside Momo.

I'm sure Rafa will find another rough diamond...
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #29: Mar 12, 2008 11:35:06 am
      If he's number's up, then its time to move on. If not, I'm certain he will continue to work his way back to his best. But, to stay on topic...

Who is the question...Lucas is getting there, but not quite there yet. Can't really contribute at this stage but I'm certain Rafa will get someone who will leave us wondering at first but leave us cheering and scream later on...

Walk on...

Shankly and Co, avenged at last...and a touch of the sublime (in Fernando Torres) to spare.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #30: Mar 12, 2008 11:47:23 am
      Are you smoking your socks?? Henry for Xabi?? Yes I want to see that French sook at a tender age of 32 come in and F**k things around. Even though it will never happen just pisses me off how some people think. FFS Henry has shown throughout his career he cant be partnered and relishes in the solo rolem how would he be parnered up with Torres
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #31: Mar 12, 2008 06:05:23 pm
      Sad to see alot of people think xabi will go.

Henry isnt 32 hes 30 thats a big difference even though it doesnt seem it, I'd take him he's amazing but i know he wouldnt come back to england.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #32: Mar 14, 2008 07:07:34 am
      Henry is out of the question. He isnt the player he used to be IMO. I think he left because of his body not being able to handle the physical pressure anymore and looking at his body structure, there isnt much to break a bone. Also, the game in Spain is all about technique which Henry oozes of but its also slower meaning he doesnt have to work as hard. A move to England wont be suitable for him nor us.

I think should Xabi leave, Nigel De Jong maybe as a holding midfielder? Admit i havent seen plenty but what i did see was decent and looked very comfortable in the holding role. The rest should be spent on service from the wings and a man up front ( *cough* Villa! )
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #33: Mar 14, 2008 12:37:08 pm
      I'm agreed that Ballague is probably correct that Xabi will leave in the summer, which is a crying shame!

But as Eddie mentioned, a £10m signing who has delivered for us (particularly on a certain night in May, 2005! :)) who will probably leave for more money is astute business by Benitez! I'll always hold Xabi in the highest regard, the Basque gentleman that he is, but if he needs to go then I wish him the best of luck! :)
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #34: Mar 14, 2008 02:43:04 pm
      I wouldn't want Xabi to leave as his pairing with Masch has released stevieG to play alongside Torres. If he does go can we have another Argentinean please Rafa, oh and also David Villa, Diego (Bremen),Gabbie Heinze and Shaun Wright- Phillips ;D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #35: Mar 14, 2008 08:54:35 pm
      Don no offence mate, but until I see it as an exclusive by Tony Barrett in the echo, I refuse to believe that Xabi is off.

Like the way our Xabi has named his new son Jon!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #36: Mar 14, 2008 08:56:56 pm
      I agree, but i spose we will only see in the transfer market.

Xabi has said he wants his son to spend his first few years in england and rafa has rubbishes newspaper reports of a rift between them so i think he will stay.

Quick Reply