Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Liverpool get Arsenal in Champions League

Read 6285 times
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Liverpool get Arsenal in Champions League
      Mar 14, 2008 12:23:17 pm
      We have the gooners folks, what do you reckon on that then. F***ing fix if you ask me
      « Last Edit: Mar 14, 2008 07:13:21 pm by JD »
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Re: Arsenal in the quarter finals
      Reply #1: Mar 14, 2008 12:26:40 pm
      dont know what to think, tough game. 3 times in a row aswell sheesh. But i think we can take them.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #2: Mar 14, 2008 12:29:48 pm
      At the end of the day, it doesn't matter who we've been faced with. We can beat anyone on our day, and as it so happens, our days usually arrive on Champions League nights! ;)

Just a shame we haven't got some luxurious places to visit on the way to Moscow! :D
      redhotrobbie
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | -16 
      Reply #3: Mar 14, 2008 12:38:12 pm
      we played them this time last year.  Anyone remember the score?  Give Crouchy a game
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #4: Mar 14, 2008 12:46:06 pm
      From LFC Website

The Reds will travel to the Emirates Stadium in the first leg on April 1/2 before entertaining Arsene Wenger's side in the second-leg on April 8/9.

Should Rafael Benitez's men overcome the Gunners they will face Fenerbahce or Chelsea in the semi-finals with the first leg to be played at home on April 22/23 with the second leg on April 29/30.

The quarter-final draw in full:

Arsenal v Liverpool
      Roma v Man United
      Schalke v Barcelona
      Fenerbahce v Chelsea

The semi-final draw:

Arsenal or Liverpool v Fenerbahce or Chelsea
      Schalke or Barcelona v Roma or Man United

If all goes to plan It's our usual semi final against Chelski and United get Barcelona (Shame) ;D
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #5: Mar 14, 2008 12:47:38 pm
      sh*te draw that! Chavski and Man Ure will win. If we progress we will get Chavski in the semi's (second leg at the bridge this time though!) and Man Ure in the final! Time to change my Euro's back!
      jakkeo
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts |
      Reply #6: Mar 14, 2008 12:50:44 pm
      We can do these, try and get a couple of away goals at their gaff and then we can go and dispose of chelsea :D
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #7: Mar 14, 2008 12:52:33 pm
      It's a decent draw, only for the fact we've got to go to Stamford Bridge in the 2nd leg of the Semi (providing all goes to plan, of course! ::))

I wouldn't mind a pop at Barca in the final but to beat the Mancs in Moscow would be something else! Shoving that back down their throats every time they mouth off! 8)
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #8: Mar 14, 2008 12:53:03 pm
      I'm pretty sure we'll get past them, I was really disappointed at first when I saw the draw (Scum-Roma and Chavs-Fenerbahce just too F***ing perfect for them as usual  ::)...). But now that I've been thinking about it it's not so bad. The last 8 teams in Europe isn't going to leave too many walkovers, and anyway we lost to Barnsley in the FA Cup so I don't think getting Schalke or Fenerbahce would be like getting a free ticket to the semis, it'd be more like another stone to trip over!

I know that we can beat any of Europe's finest, and I know that we're going to go through! I don't care about their talent, because I know our lads have what it takes ! Liverpool always rises to a challenge, and the bigger the better - I can't wait to see us in the semi-final draw versus Schalke or Fenerbahce because I have a feeling that at least one of the other two English teams is going to get caught out by their "underdog" opponents!  :D

Come on you Reds!
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #9: Mar 14, 2008 12:54:34 pm
      tight as a ducks arse this round dunno how to call it to be honest, have to asy one thing though Kenyons face when he saw the chavs had fenerbache was a sight. He was delighted I can tell you that thing is though on current form and with a tough hostile away leg I can see the Turks over turning the chavs. I also think Roma could do well against the SCUM.

I still think we are on for a Liverpool v Barcelona final or could history repeat itself again with a Arsenal v Barcelona final, wish I had a crystal that worked!! I Would be minted
      jakkeo
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts |
      Reply #10: Mar 14, 2008 01:07:23 pm
      It's a decent draw, only for the fact we've got to go to Stamford Bridge in the 2nd leg of the Semi (providing all goes to plan, of course! ::))

I wouldn't mind a pop at Barca in the final but to beat the Mancs in Moscow would be something else! Shoving that back down their throats every time they mouth off! 8)

if we get beat by them though in the final :| i think i might top myself
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #11: Mar 14, 2008 01:08:42 pm
      Thinking about this draw a bit more I now think it is a great result.

We always do well as the underdogs, and lets face it, the press will be writing our Champions League obituaries as we speak.

Whenever we are favourite we seem to lose.  I think it might have something to do with the psychology of the team in that they pull out the best performances against strong or so called superior opposition.  The pressure will be on Man U, Chelski, Barcelona and hopefully Arsenal because they will be expected to win.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #12: Mar 14, 2008 01:19:33 pm
      I think we could do Arsenal at the Emirates. That day we drew 1-1 at anfield this season, we played Voronin, who seems pretty narrow. Kuyt however doesn't mind drifting out wide, and some of his crosses for Nando haven't been half bad. More often that not Torres has scored when the delivery has been good.

Now we're playing a 4-2-3-2-1 which is working so well. I think Rafa knows it.

The team that day was:

Pepe Reina   
      John Arne Riise 
      Jamie Carragher 
      Sami Hyypia 
      Steve Finnan   
      Andriy Voronin 
      Xabi Alonso   
      Javier Mascherano
      Steven Gerrard (c)
      Dirk Kuyt
      Fernando Torres

This time round I think it will be something along the lines of (providing no injuries)

Reina

Carragher  Sami      Skrtel   Aurelio

Alonso            Masch

Kuyt                                 Babel
                    Gerrard
                              Torres

Arsenal play excellent football when they're allowed to. I felt Alonso going off injured gave Arsenal the advantage. Now if we play Xabi and Masch, and get them closing down their midfiled/attack and restrict their time on the ball I feel we can really dominate the game. This would also of course give Stevie the chances to get up top with Nando, as well as Kuyt and Babel. We get a couple of away goals and they're up sh*t creek.

I do think Aurelio/Riise would have to support Babel often as Eboue is pretty quick as well.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #13: Mar 14, 2008 01:20:21 pm
      if we get beat by them though in the final :| I think I might top myself

Don't blaspheme! ;)

I know what you mean though, it's a winner takes all match in terms of bragging rights! I can't think of anything bigger! I can actually see them slipping up against Barca though, if they make it past Roma of course! >:D

Thinking about this draw a bit more I now think it is a great result.

We always do well as the underdogs, and lets face it, the press will be writing our Champions League obituaries as we speak.

Whenever we are favourite we seem to lose.  I think it might have something to do with the psychology of the team in that they pull out the best performances against strong or so called superior opposition.  The pressure will be on Man U, Chelski, Barcelona and hopefully Arsenal because they will be expected to win.

Exactly! If we would have drawn Shalke or Fenerbache we would have probably slipped up! A trip to the final this season will shut up all of the other English teams! :D
      Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #14: Mar 14, 2008 01:27:10 pm
      I really don't think it is a bad draw.We have outplayed the big names in the champions league the past few seasons and we seem to strive off beating the big teams.

Then the past 2 occassions we made it to the finals we've played Chelsea in the Semi's.
      I actually think they are all starting to pray now that we lose to the arse as they are sh*t scared of us in the Champions league and also thinking they haven't beaten us in the league this season so we have no ghosts haunting us.
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #15: Mar 14, 2008 01:49:30 pm
      We'll beat them 99.5 % sure we will!

As for Chelsea, could prove decisive with us playing at home first!

Matt

COME ON THE REDS!
      redhotrobbie
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | -16 
      Reply #16: Mar 14, 2008 02:32:47 pm
      Gillet:  "I'm really enjoying all three teams, but for different reasons. In Liverpool, it's a long distance away and there's been a fair amount of controversy over there.  "In spite of that, the boys are playing very well and I'm proud of them."

Seems more positive than Parry. Look how proud he is
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #17: Mar 14, 2008 03:00:51 pm
      I actually didn't think this was going to happen but wow 3 times in one week?!

to be totally honest i really think we can win these games with the way we are playing and the way arsenal are playing.

I think we could do Arsenal at the Emirates. That day we drew 1-1 at anfield this season, we played Voronin, who seems pretty narrow. Kuyt however doesn't mind drifting out wide, and some of his crosses for Nando haven't been half bad. More often that not Torres has scored when the delivery has been good.

Now we're playing a 4-2-3-2-1 which is working so well. I think Rafa knows it.

The team that day was:

Pepe Reina  
      John Arne Riise 
      Jamie Carragher 
      Sami Hyypia 
      Steve Finnan  
      Andriy Voronin 
      Xabi Alonso  
      Javier Mascherano
      Steven Gerrard (c)
      Dirk Kuyt
      Fernando Torres

This time round I think it will be something along the lines of (providing no injuries)

Reina

Carragher  Sami      Skrtel   Aurelio

Alonso            Masch

Kuyt                                 Babel
                    Gerrard
                              Torres

Arsenal play excellent football when they're allowed to. I felt Alonso going off injured gave Arsenal the advantage. Now if we play Xabi and Masch, and get them closing down their midfiled/attack and restrict their time on the ball I feel we can really dominate the game. This would also of course give Stevie the chances to get up top with Nando, as well as Kuyt and Babel. We get a couple of away goals and they're up sh*t creek.

I do think Aurelio/Riise would have to support Babel often as Eboue is pretty quick as well.

Dead right mate i totally agree, we dont have a bad record there at all and if we drew with them when voronin was playing and the form we were in before then I'm extremely confident we can do this. every thing has changed, our formation is better our squad is gelling perfectly our defence is actually stronger than before even though we are missing agger. arsenals squad isn't the best shape at the moment I'm actually looking forward to this  ;D
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #18: Mar 14, 2008 03:23:30 pm
      Just been checking out a few Arsenal forums and they are all cocky bas**rds.

No doubt they will be feeling sore after the three games after Fernando & Stevie bent them over on all 3 occasions.

Daft bas**rds.  http://arsenal-mania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36227&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=270
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #19: Mar 14, 2008 03:34:09 pm
      is it me or do they all sound like a bunch of retards? they are ripping into each other. id hate to support a club like that, pretentious tossers.

reminds me of that pantera lyric out of the song "regular people" it goes: "We fight for love of brother while your friends fight one another"

they will be the ones getting raped over the 3 matches.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #20: Mar 14, 2008 03:36:22 pm
      A lot of fans sound apprehensive about Arsenal but not me,bring on the best that way we have a better chance once through. Some of our competitors in the EPL are looking a little tired lately even though some have large squads so maybe Mr Benitas is getting it right at the right time and we can get through this minefield in better shape than most...
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #21: Mar 14, 2008 03:56:44 pm
      Didn't expect us to get Arsenal, but F**k them! We are definitely the better team on our day, and as CRK said,  Europe always seems to be our day! Gonna be a tough game against them, but if we can get an away goal then they are up sh*t creek! And with the 2nd leg at Anfield, well we all know that we can do anything there.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #22: Mar 14, 2008 04:02:34 pm
      Can't say I'm pleased but you get what you're given. I would have prefered a foreign feel to the competition as it progresses but now it has the potential to be all English for us, up to the final. It's a shame.

We can only beat what's in front of us. This could be the biggest test in our European history if we get to the final. So winning the competition would make it even more special.

Arsenal have another thing coming if they think they can breeze past us.

Quick Reply