Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Rest the big names for the Derby?

Read 5014 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,265 posts | 2826 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Rest the big names for the Derby?
      Mar 14, 2008 04:28:40 pm
      On Sunday March 30 we play Everton in a vital game which even if it was 12th v 16th would be a must win!! On the Tuesday after that we travel to Arsenal in European battle we then play them in the league that weekend before the return against them in the quater final

Now the derby will throw up some tasty tackles so do we risk Torres and Gerrard or save themm for the Tuesday but knowing defeat to Everton is a no no? My view is play our best 11 against them

Barring injury against Everton we would presumably play our best 11 at the emirates but what about the league game? Do we rest players for the 2nd leg or do we go again with our best 11 in the hope of getting 3 points down there?

Its a week of 4 huge and tough games that could make or break our season
      « Last Edit: Mar 14, 2008 07:11:36 pm by JD »
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Re: predicament
      Reply #1: Mar 14, 2008 04:32:09 pm
      fact is its a crunch period, throw in utd which is before the everton game and it looks even worse, but our players arent wimps and i think they'll just have to fight it out, i think the key players will play all the games unless they physically cant because they are not games we can rest players for
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #2: Mar 14, 2008 04:49:13 pm
      I was thinking about this. We need to play our strongest as much as poss really.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #3: Mar 14, 2008 04:54:42 pm
      On Sunday March 30 we play Everton in a vital game which even if it was 12th v 16th would be a must win!! On the Tuesday after that we travel to Arsenal in European battle we then play them in the league that weekend before the return against them in the quater final

Now the derby will throw up some tasty tackles so do we risk Torres and Gerrard or save themm for the Tuesday but knowing defeat to Everton is a no no? My view is play our best 11 against them

Barring injury against Everton we would presumably play our best 11 at the emirates but what about the league game? Do we rest players for the 2nd leg or do we go again with our best 11 in the hope of getting 3 points down there?

Its a week of 4 huge and tough games that could make or break our season

Intereting dilema this one, and a good post for pointing it out.

I would say play the strongest team possible in every game, Rafa has to take that risk now as we are nearing the end of the season. 5 Very big games we cant afford to lose under any circumstances, we know we need fourth and we know we need to beat the gooners and please tell me we need to beat the scum, if we can beat those cu*ts in the league at least once while Rafa is manager, and especially at old crapford, I will sing praise of joy from the highest steeple.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #4: Mar 14, 2008 05:17:05 pm
      Sure theres an england game vs france in that mix aswell
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #5: Mar 14, 2008 05:22:22 pm
      Sure theres an england game vs france in that mix aswell

There is  :(  France v England - Wed 26th March
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #6: Mar 14, 2008 07:13:25 pm
      But many players of Everton and Arsenal will be in their national teams at that time. So they are in the same position as us.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Re: Rest the big names for the Derby?
      Reply #7: Mar 14, 2008 07:19:00 pm
      Premiership is the priority, certainly not over a two legged Quarter Final of the Champions League.

In terms of finances finishing 4th in the Premiership is vastly superior to anything more we can do in the Champions League.

We need to be in that tournament next season to attract more world class players to our club.  Simple.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #8: Mar 14, 2008 07:43:21 pm
      Thing is now, the match has been brought forward to Saturday 29th 12.30 kick off.

This was always to be the case if we progressed to the quater finals.
      So at least the players will have a little longer to recuperate, and maybe it's time to play all the big guns throughout now till the end of the season.

A high finish in the Premiership for me is a must if we want something big to play for next season.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #9: Mar 14, 2008 07:53:08 pm
      We cant afford to lose to Everton by resting key players, they will rest when we are in the finals of the Champions League.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #10: Mar 14, 2008 07:55:51 pm
      There no mention of the game being brought forward on the official site and Liverpool tv said the Derby would remain unaffected today? Whats your source Tommo?

I think play our best team and go for the lot!!! We need to take every game like a cup final now, and there's not alot of them left this season! If Neverwon come out playing dirty, kick them first!!!!  ;)
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #11: Mar 14, 2008 07:59:00 pm
      We've got to play our big boys for every remaining match IMO. There aren't that many games left, and these are sportsmen of the highest level. If Rafa has been resting them at the beginning of the season it was so then they would be fresh NOW - as the season is coming to and end and every match is crucial, no matter who the opponent is. If players are forced out because of yellow cards or niggling injuries then fine, or in Hyppia's case for example where he would only be at his best about once a week.

Anyway, most of the teams in the Prem still have something to fight for and so won't roll over easily, whether it be relegation, UEFA places etc. We need our big names and reputations to do the business, finish matches early on, only then should Rafa consider replacing them for twenty mins or half an hour. If they need more rest than that they should change career!!
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #12: Mar 14, 2008 08:04:23 pm
      There no mention of the game being brought forward on the official site and Liverpool tv said the Derby would remain unaffected today? Whats your source Tommo?

I think play our best team and go for the lot!!! We need to take every game like a cup final now, and there's not alot of them left this season! If Neverwon come out playing dirty, kick them first!!!!  ;)

Looks like your right mate.
      Heard a lot of talk about it before we went away and whilst I was out there.
      Must of been, if were to of played on the Tuesday night instead.
      I hold my head in shame ;)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #13: Mar 14, 2008 08:04:58 pm
      RAFA must play the strongest team available in every game to the end of the season.In 6 or 7 weeks we will be twiddling our thumbs because there is no football,the players can have there 7 or 8 weeks of rest and relaxation then.We need to win every game so field the strongest team please RAFA.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,762 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #14: Mar 14, 2008 10:28:49 pm
      RAFA must play the strongest team available in every game to the end of the season.In 6 or 7 weeks we will be twiddling our thumbs because there is no football,the players can have there 7 or 8 weeks of rest and relaxation then.We need to win every game so field the strongest team please RAFA.

Billy, thanks for typing that mate, you saved me doing it....spot on
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #15: Mar 15, 2008 10:51:07 am
      Derby? Rest? Yeah lets go for it...  ::)
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #16: Mar 15, 2008 11:15:35 am
      No way we cant risk losing to Everton as we might not win the Champions league so we need to make sure we finish in top 4 this season,they can rest in the summer well the english lads can.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #17: Mar 15, 2008 08:03:35 pm
      I think today proved beyond doubt that this topic really is silly.

Premiership = Priority.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #18: Mar 15, 2008 09:44:28 pm
      we play the best team available for the Derby, and send them packing!  one way or another we have to be in the CL next year.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #19: Mar 15, 2008 10:09:14 pm
      I don't fully agree that the Premiership is priority as I feel both competitions are just as important for the rest of the season. For this reason Rafa should be playing what he feels is his strongest team for every game until the season is over. As Billy says there will be plenty of time for rest in the summer.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #20: Mar 16, 2008 02:26:25 pm
      We all now know the Derby is now Sunday, 30th March, 4pm ko.

There should be no resting of any players for our next five games, PLAY OUR STRONGEST SIDE.

lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #21: Mar 16, 2008 03:43:29 pm
      Our players will be so tired, especially those playing international games.

March 23rd Mancs

March 26th England v France

March 30th Bitters

April 2nd Arse

April  5th Arse

April 8th Arse
      Macca_red
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #22: Mar 20, 2008 04:08:14 pm
      I reckon we need to play our strongest 11 - I know it's a tough balancing act but we must ensure that we get 4th at least...

Quick Reply