Read 1889 times
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      The Dallas News is going to publish our letters - get your views in now
      Mar 15, 2008 03:03:31 pm
      I saw this post on another forum and thought it might interest many of you.
      The letter below was sent by the poster to the email address highlighted, we got nothing to lose in my opinion so give it a try.

Big Bry wrote:
      Ive just e-mailed the Dallas News newspaper, a letter explaining a Liverpool fans sentiment over Mr Hicks.

Surprisingly a lady rang me up this evening (Genuine) for some details and they say that they are going to publish the letter (along with others) in Sundays edition.

I just want to encourage you to do the same, as Mr Hicks sipping his Orange Juice and eating his eggs will be none to pleased to find a load of Liverpool supporters in his local newspaper telling the people of Dallas how unimpressed we are at his ability at running a football club.

It was a short and polite e-mail giving all the facts, and explaining how high emotions are running around here.

the address is to the sports editor which is

btownsend@dallasnews.com

rather than rant on this post send these chaps an e-mail and lets crank up the pressure

Nice one Big Bry, I have just sent this to the paper:

Dear Sports Editor,
      I’ve heard you are thinking of publishing some letters in your newspaper this Sunday. I would like you to consider publishing this letter as I feel it echoes the opinion of the majority of Liverpool fans around the world at the present time.
      We want Tom Hicks and George Gillett out of our club - why?
      THEY LIED & HAVE JEOPARDISED OUR CLUB FOR THEIR PERSONAL GAIN
      They promised that all loans would be would be secured against their own personal assets.
      THEY LIED
      They have taken out a loan of £350m. £105m has been secured against the club and £245m against Kop Holdings - which owns 100% of Liverpool Football Club and has only one source of revenue: The Club.
      So, regardless of the smoke and mirrors, Liverpool Football Club has to pay all of the interest on all of the £350m.
      The interest payments alone for this debt will be around £30m each year. All of which will be payable by Liverpool FC - more than enough to wipe out the club’s operating profit.
      Gillett and Hicks have only taken out this new loan over an 18 month contract. This is very unusual for a deal of this size; three years is the usual minimum term. Wall Street analysts believe that this is because they had difficulty in getting the banks to lend them the money. Which raises questions about:
      THE STADIUM
      £60m of that loan has been earmarked for starting construction of the new ground.
      There is no funding yet in place to complete the stadium, nor has planning permission been granted for a 71,000 capacity. Existing consent is for 60,000, with any increase depending upon improvements to transport and car parking. With no underground car park, the new plans have less car parking than the original 60,000 design!
      If they can’t borrow again in 18 months then they cannot complete the stadium. How can they pledge now that the stadium will be built? In the same way they pledged it would be well on its way to completion twelve months ago - by misleading us.
      So do they actually intend to complete the building of the new stadium?
      Should Hicks & Gillett get the loan to actually build the new ground, the additional interest payments will be £25m per year.
      This will leave Liverpool Football Club to shoulder annual payments of £55m in interest alone. Which begs the question:
      WHERE WILL THE FUNDS COME FROM FOR TRANSFERS?
      When they took over, Hicks & Gillett promised to back the manager in the transfer market.
      From the two transfer windows Hicks and Gillett have owned the club for, Benitez has spent £48.5m on players, and recouped £33.5m in player sales. A net spend of £15m. This is the up-to-date figure that includes the purchase of Skrtel and the sale of Sissoko.
      The club brought in around £30m from the run to the Champions League Final last season alone. On top of this there is the increased TV money the club has received.
      Where is the money Gillett and Hicks have backed the manager with? They’ve lied to us, they’ve manipulated the press, and some people have believed the spin. We won’t.
      In reality the manager has spent £15m in the last two transfer windows. How is that backing him in the transfer market?
      They promised to respect the club’s heritage, history and traditions.
      THEY HAVE LIED AND LIED.
      They asked to be judged on what their actions. Well they have failed to make a start or produce the funding on the stadium, the major reason why David Moores looked for investment.
      They have not put one single cent of their own money into this club and they have undermined the traditions of the football club and the office of manager.
      They have, however, managed to create huge debt for LFC to pay off without any end product.
      How, exactly, is the football club in a better position now than it was twelve months ago? Simple answer, it’s not.
      redhotrobbie
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | -16 
      Re: The Dallas News is going to publish our letters - get your views in now
      Reply #1: Mar 15, 2008 07:36:23 pm
      add ab extra 20m for masch.  And who did Rafa want to buy and was told he couldnt afford him?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #2: Mar 15, 2008 08:02:30 pm
      add ab extra 20m for masch.  And who did Rafa want to buy and was told he couldnt afford him?

Yep - good point.  We have actually bought him or at least agreed to buy him.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #3: Mar 16, 2008 05:34:03 pm
      Any reply yet Smiggs?
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #4: Mar 16, 2008 05:37:51 pm
      I never sent it Court, the poster on the other forum sent it.  I'll check it out and see if he's had any response and let you know  ;)
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #5: Mar 16, 2008 05:40:52 pm
      You know I'm a bloody dosey get now and again.  'I bet someone will quote that ;)'

Sound Smiggs!  :D
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #6: Mar 18, 2008 10:35:44 am
      Ive just emailed my veiws to the Dallas news sorts editor here goes:-

To the Sports Editor DALLAS NEWS

Dear Readers

I am driven to write this letter in an attempt to demonstrate to you how one member of your community is impacting on my community which is Liverpool Football Club.

I can only describe the way in which LFC impacts on my life as “woven into the fabric” of myself, my immediate family, many, many of my forbears and last but not least, at least half of my good city! Particularly amongst these forbears is my grandfather on my mother’s side, whose ashes are spread in the goal mouth at the kop end. (a practice that was allowed many years ago)

The razzmatazz which saw the arrival of Mr. Hicks and Gillett, when they acquired our club last year, was greeted by most fans with guarded scepticism, and any fan who voiced their misgivings, were met with the call “come on give em a chance” well we have.

Quite simply Messrs Hicks and Gillett have lied through their back teeth over their plans and governance of our club.  Please take the time to read the attached circular I received from a newly formed pressure group “Sons of Shankly” whose sole aim is to protect our club from these two marauding individuals. The statement details the catalogue of lies and untruths they have foisted upon us.

I personally feel that Gillett is the one of the pair that has the most integrity, (by a very small margin) and at the very least has a measure of the clubs wellbeing at heart.
      Gillett has allegedly agreed to sell his stake, my main issue is with Hick’s and his continued stance of playing very hard ball during negotiations with our new prospective purchases, in the hope of wringing every last cent out of the deal with a complete disregard for the damage he is causing.

It is apparent to me, as an observer of events that Hicks has absolutely no idea nor interest in learning the values and deeply engrained traditions of my, no our beloved Club. He has so far treated us as a convenient financial football that he continues to boot around the mud, in the vain hope that in doing so, he will add to his already considerable wealth.

I could go on writing all day about my and others passion for our club, but I can assure you all I would begin to bore you!

I will finish with what I can only describe as a heart felt impassioned plea to Mr. Hicks and to do the decent thing and take your substantial profit on offer and go, cutting all ties with us as we’ve had quite enough of your bare faced lies. Before the harm to our, and your own standing and international reputation is irreparably damaged.

In my wildest dreams if Mr. Hicks was to ever read my outpourings, I do not expect this plea of mine to make a jot of difference to his quest for more profit!  At least this correspondence may go some way to display to the good people of Dallas the level of passion, and also the degree of distain that the supporters of LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB feel towards Mr. Hicks and his tenure at our Club.

I remain:-

Yours faithfully
      Neil Hobson
      You’ll Never Walk Alone
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #7: Mar 18, 2008 11:46:32 am
      That first" letter" is the statement from the Sons of Shankly...not really someone's "letter"...

Quick Reply