Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

If the Premier League is supposed to be the best in the world!!??

Read 1643 times
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      If the Premier League is supposed to be the best in the world!!??
      Mar 15, 2008 11:54:54 pm
      If the English Premier League is supposed to be the best league in the world, why oh why does it have some of the worst offciating??
      I take the case in point today against Arbeloa that was never a free kick and the ref was not more than 5 yards away. For me this season has probably been the worst I have ever seen, not just against the struggling clubs but also against us. I have counted many times this season, throw ins, corners and other things that have gone in the wrong direction. Surely something should be done, and with all this technology it kinda makes you wonder!! Dunno what you lot reckon!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Re: If the Premier League is supposed to be the best in the world!!??
      Reply #1: Mar 16, 2008 12:01:34 am
      Going by your title I would say the Premierleague is maybe the strongest league out there. The Premiership top four are superior to the top four of Spain & Italy, however after that I'm not too sure how quality will match up with the likes of Bolton & Everton getting knocked out, along with Spurs.. you do have to ask yourself if this is overall the strongest league.

I think its definitely the toughest league to win, but I think this league is made up by four brilliant teams and they are the four who sit at the top.. it will always be the big four!

If I was you I wouldn't moan about the offciating in this league. I watch Spanish football and they are a lot worse, they also like to stop the game every minute.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Mar 16, 2008 12:29:32 am
      Well its hard to say if its the best league in the world or not because although there are alot of skillful players and teams i would say la liga is the most skillful league and possibly has the most flair because some of the stuff messi, ronaldinho, robinho and many, many more players do is simply breath taking. Without a doubt the prem is the most physicle but I think alot of the flair being produced in the prem is being shaddowed out becase the amount of controversy the officials are producing. In most of the prem games their is probably like 10 or 11 trully breath taking things that happen but their is probaly just as many errors from the officals and its only the errors that gets the coverage most of the time so the press can have a field day. La liga and the prem both have there good bits and bad bits but there probaly isnt really that much difference between them. Italy has been killed by the amount of scandals and alot of that has been created by the italian press and i fear that that is soon going to happen to the prem
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #3: Mar 16, 2008 07:20:31 am
      If the English Premier League is supposed to be the best league in the world, why oh why does it have some of the worst offciating??
      I take the case in point today against Arbeloa that was never a free kick and the ref was not more than 5 yards away. For me this season has probably been the worst I have ever seen, not just against the struggling clubs but also against us. I have counted many times this season, throw ins, corners and other things that have gone in the wrong direction. Surely something should be done, and with all this technology it kinda makes you wonder!! Dunno what you lot reckon!
      Maybe the Ref and his Assistants ( still think of them as linesmen ) should have a M.O.T. before the start of every season.If the game is a lot faster now than it was 20 or 30 years ago the Refs should be required to be that much fitter to ensure they can keep up with the play.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #4: Mar 16, 2008 09:56:15 am
      I watched a Soccernet Press pass on ESPN and the host and guest concluded that the Premiership was the best in the world more because of the open policy that does not limit the influx of foreign players into the Premiership, The money that is pumped into the Premiership, the State of the art venues and the business nature that exists there. I guess the officiating of matches has little to do with the premiership being the best in the world. the officiating of the Reading/Liverpool first match this season was worse.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #5: Mar 16, 2008 12:01:51 pm
      We were certainly undone against Chelsea at Anfield that's for sure.

I'm not too sure the referee's and that have been worse this year than last, I think the European refereeing has improved dramatically in recent years.  Maybe that's what makes things seem worse.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #6: Mar 16, 2008 12:12:16 pm
      We were certainly undone against Chelsea at Anfield that's for sure.

I'm not too sure the referee's and that have been worse this year than last, I think the European refereeing has improved dramatically in recent years.  Maybe that's what makes things seem worse.

I'm sorry but a few certain referee's in Europe are biased as F**k! That season Barcelona won the Champions League to beat Chelsea & Arsenal.. they had the same referee and most of his decisions were in favour of Barcelona.

That referee who was officiating the Milan - Utd game and the Milan - Liverpool final was the same referee, again his decisions seemed extremely biased. I'll admit that our referee's are shocking, however I've never seen so many biased refs anywhere else but in the Champions League!

This is why I think English teams struggle to win the European Cup, because the refs stand in their way! Just remember that England is a disliked country around the world, so these decisions don't supprise me!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #7: Mar 16, 2008 12:24:46 pm
      I'm a fan of The X-Files, at least the early episodes, so I'm no stranger to this kind of paranoid talk!  ;) Still, I wouldn't go so far as to say that the referees are against English clubs purely because they're from England, that kind of racism would be too obvious.

Still, I do think that the European officials might be a bit sick of the English clubs doing so well in the Champion's League, and might be afraid that this dominance continue to the point that most of the best players in the world would be in the Premiership as this wouldn't be good for European football as a whole. Would this enough to justify the "control" of matches involving English clubs? I don't buy it, as the whole system from head-to-toe would have to be corrupt, and that would involve too many people, a leak would already have happened.

Still, it doesn't answer the question of why certain clubs in Europe seem "defavourised" by some referees, and I don't know where the answer lies. Perhaps MAN U and Chelsea throwing bags of cash at certain refs? This I would believe.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: Mar 16, 2008 09:57:20 pm
      The standard of refereeing in our league compared to the standard in Europe might differ. But I don't think you can have a true opinion of foreign refereeing in another league unless you support a team in that particular league.
      Now seeing as we're all experts on Liverpool, you can only really have an honest opinion of the refereeing decisions in our league, if you watch most of our games.
      One point I feel maybe Prag might be making is seeing mistakes at first hand because you're actually at the game. There's no replays or anything else to scrutinize the faults however big or small they might be. You only see it once. But if you're noticing a lot more than usual at the game then that speaks volumes. Correct me if you don't agree Prag, but that's a view I have on it.

Personally, I do think there has been many dodgy decisions this season when watching Liverpool. There was some very weird refereeing at home to Boro. But I think there'll always be mistakes made. It's just part of football. Maybe the problem might lie within the refereeing association where big mistakes aren't looked upon in a more serious light, like they could be.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #9: Mar 17, 2008 12:31:19 am
      Refs tend to be very biased but i think its largely home fan orientated rather than anything else. Refs have even admitted in the past that the crowd can influence decisions during a game.

It goes both ways but at times more one than the other, Just look at matterazzi, that was never a red against us. I hate him even just on the basis of his words to zizou but that wasnt a red atall and in other games you will see something that should be a blatant red but it isnt given. Some of the decisions in the prem are shocking and it can be the most frustrating thing in the world when a big decision loses you a game because the ref got it wrong.

In other countries refs tend to stop the game alot and this is why england is the strongest its alot more free flowing and i feel that refs are to blame for diving in foreign countries football, if a player knows they can dive and get something for it they tend to do it, refs fall for it all the time so players do it more. Players dont do it here because it tends not to work, at times it can of course but at other times it doesnt.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #10: Mar 17, 2008 03:34:54 pm

Personally, I do think there has been many dodgy decisions this season when watching Liverpool. There was some very weird refereeing at home to Boro. But I think there'll always be mistakes made. It's just part of football. Maybe the problem might lie within the refereeing association where big mistakes aren't looked upon in a more serious light, like they could be.

Apart from the Chelsea penalty.

I thought the ref at the weekend was appalling but to be fair all his decisions were rubbish, not only for us but also for Reading.  When Reading chanted 'you don't know what you're doing' to the Ref the Kop applauded.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #11: Mar 17, 2008 07:10:03 pm
      I think the thing that annoys most people is the inconsistency in refereeing, how many times have you seen a player brought down, and you know it should be a free-kick, but the ref waves play on, then the next week exactly the same thing happens and this time you get a free kick.

I think there should be more clear rules for the Ref's, there job is pretty difficult at times and they make mistakes like the rest of us, it's just that the world is watching when they makes theirs.

There must be clearer guidelines for all............and I wish they weren't so sucked in to all this diving, it just spoils the game for everyone.

:f_steam: Rant over  ;D

Quick Reply