Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Result against the Mancs

Win
      82 (75.2%)
      Lose
      4 (3.7%)
      Draw
      15 (13.8%)
      Sit on the fence
      8 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Manchester United v Liverpool - Pre Match Thread

Read 22807 times
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Manchester United v Liverpool: Preview
      Reply #23: Mar 16, 2008 07:17:25 pm
      ???

We're playing Manure in the league.

Yeah but good possibility of meeting them in the final of the CL  ;) :D
      wdavidw10
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #24: Mar 16, 2008 08:35:29 pm
      I think we can win. Torres is on form and scoring alot of goals!! Gerrard too playing well!

I say we will win 1-0

Torres with the goal!

Come on Liverpool!!!!!
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #25: Mar 16, 2008 08:53:58 pm
      Match date: 23rd March 2008, Time: 13:30, Venue: Old Trafford

The history between the two teams:

Head to Head at Anfield: Liverpool wins (38) Draws (18) Loss (22); At Old Trafford: Liverpool Wins (14) Draws (25) Loss (35)

The last time we beat them at HOME was November 4 2001 (3 - 1) and AWAY April 24 2004 (0 - 1).

What other motivation do we need against these clowns. Everytime we went head to head, we out-classed them on the pitch. Now we even have a better Striker (Torres), the best mid-fielder in the Premiership/world (Gerrard) and on the whole, a team that is playing exceptionally well. Ferguson's meal tickets are nothing to write home about.

Starting 11

Reina

Finnan Carragher Shrktel Aurelio

Mascherano Alonso

Kuyt    Gerrard     Babel

Torres

Subs: Itanje, Crouch, Pennant, Benanyun

We need to crush these morons! I say we repeat the win of April 19 1971 (2 - 0)
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #26: Mar 16, 2008 10:32:32 pm
      Nope, that's exactly what the players will get. When your sitting at home and you can't change a result then don't expect a win especially away against the mancs. But if your a football player don't accept less than a win but don't expect a win either.

All I can say is, having faith and believing is better than expecting!

Half time we were 3 - 0 down to AC Milan, I don't think for one second that Thommo was expecting us to win that game after the first half, but he had belief in us and he said "You've gotta believe!’  ‘If you don't believe, you may as well pack it in now!’

So I'm not expecting us to win, but I have belief otherwise like he said back then, if you don't believe then you may as well pack it in now!

Most people dont believe we can beat them thats my point.

The team seem not to have belief we can beat them whenever we step onto the fireld against them.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #27: Mar 16, 2008 10:34:01 pm
      We don't though, thats the problem. We might dominate possesion against them, but we don't really outplay them. When they went to the San Siro and lost 3 - 0, thats when they got outplayed!

We do outplay them. It isnt just winning that means you outplayed a team, AC did exactly what we do, put them under pressure dont let them play their game and create chances for ourselves, we outplay them everytime we face them its a fact.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #28: Mar 16, 2008 10:37:09 pm
      Keep same team as recently.

Need an amazing performance from everyone but especially,

Torres up against tweedle dee and tweedle dum at the back for them

Kuyt, if he doesnt have a fantastic performance evra will crush him

Our whole defence for obvious reasons.

We can beat these, just gotta do what we normally do but this time scoreee.
      Lfc-jamie14
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 112 posts | -2 
      • 'You'll never walk alone'
      Reply #29: Mar 16, 2008 10:58:33 pm
      every time ushited play us there luck is unbelievable. we most of the time outplay them. there is one difference which is TORRES and GERRARD are on there flying form and knocking goals in from all over the park.plus the general team is playing well. ushited arnt palying that well at the minute and we have won are last 7 games so there is no reason we cant go there and pick up 3 points and beat the scum.
      « Last Edit: Mar 16, 2008 11:03:19 pm by Lfc-jamie14 »
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Re: Can we win at Man.U.
      Reply #30: Mar 16, 2008 10:59:12 pm
      We do outplay them. It isnt just winning that means you outplayed a team, AC did exactly what we do, put them under pressure dont let them play their game and create chances for ourselves, we outplay them everytime we face them its a fact.

How is it a fact? We don't outplay them everygame - fact! I know not winning doesn't mean you didn't outplay them but I wasn't really refering to how much they lost at the San Siro, it was the way AC Milan totally made Man Utd struggle to do anything all game.

Man Utd were the better team at Anfield, they didn't outplay us, we didn't outplay them but if any team looked sharper and more dangerous it was always them. They had the game under control and we didn't really create anything all game.

And I can't believe how you think we outplay them at Old Trafford, everytime we play them at Old Trafford it's one way traffic and thats not for us either!

I think most of the time we've played them we've been the better team but outplaying them each time? Get real mate!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,777 posts | 6725 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #31: Mar 17, 2008 12:20:26 am
      We have to go there and believe we can win. If we go there thinking we're going to "L" , what's the point.

I honestly think, we'll beat them 1-0.. I don't think Torres will score but I hope he does....I think Dirk will pop up with this weeks winner. GO YOU REDS..... let's shove it up there jammy arses.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #32: Mar 17, 2008 12:22:51 am
      How is it a fact? We don't outplay them everygame - fact! I know not winning doesn't mean you didn't outplay them but I wasn't really refering to how much they lost at the San Siro, it was the way AC Milan totally made Man Utd struggle to do anything all game.

Man Utd were the better team at Anfield, they didn't outplay us, we didn't outplay them but if any team looked sharper and more dangerous it was always them. They had the game under control and we didn't really create anything all game.

And I can't believe how you think we outplay them at Old Trafford, everytime we play them at Old Trafford it's one way traffic and thats not for us either!

I think most of the time we've played them we've been the better team but outplaying them each time? Get real mate!

We do outplay them maybe not every game but the last two games i can remember them beating us 1-0 both times we outplayed them.

Last game im sure they cleared the ball off the line about twice then won by some sloppy marking. We have outplayed them a few times and created chances to win the game and if we havnt i dont get how people always feel we deserved to win because if we dont outplay them we dont deserve to win atall. We play better than them so much and they get some flukey goal or a goal from some luck that is why people get so annoyed when we lose to them.

Outplaying someone in my opinion is playing better than them and not allowing them to play their game we have done this to them on more than one occasion yet we dont win the game due to not taking the chances we have made.   

In terms of the one way traffic thing im sure we drew with them last game at OT.

No need to be rude either just saying we outplay them which i feel we do, its my opinion on the matter if you dont agree fair enough but dont be rude when it isnt necessary.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #33: Mar 17, 2008 12:44:44 am
      I agree with lil cisse when the last couple of games at Anfield are concerned.

The mancs have been drawn to the defensive when they've come up against us, with the result of them trying to make it a scrappy game and we've either come undone by a sloppy bit of defensive play or poor awareness at a set piece. We've certainly had the upper hand concerning football but it's a plain fact if you don't hurt the mancs on the attack then you're liable to get hurt against the run of play.

If we're talking about getting outplayed then you have to think back to the Houllier era where a lot of the time we were on the defensive and sneaked a goal.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #34: Mar 17, 2008 12:52:31 am
      I agree with lil cisse when the last couple of games at Anfield are concerned.

The mancs have been drawn to the defensive when they've come up against us, with the result of them trying to make it a scrappy game and we've either come undone by a sloppy bit of defensive play or poor awareness at a set piece. We've certainly had the upper hand concerning football but it's a plain fact if you don't hurt the mancs on the attack then you're liable to get hurt against the run of play.

If we're talking about getting outplayed then you have to think back to the Houllier era where a lot of the time we were on the defensive and sneaked a goal.

This is exactly what i mean. We attack attack attack they sit back and sneak a goal and our fans are pissed off that we played well but couldnt get a goal and the manc fans act like they had us making goal line clearances all game when that is far from the case. They always resort to either making the game a rough one, going into challenges too hard etc to unsettle us or they just try and get a freekick so they can sneak a goal from it.
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #35: Mar 17, 2008 09:08:57 am
      Can't explain how i'm feelin about this game. This time these scumbags will get what they deserve.

Don't mean to sound like a radical supporter here but i'm saying this based on the kind of football we've been playin these days.

1. I just don't see them keeping Nando quiet...in fact I predict 2 for him.

2. If we keep our defensive shape like we did against Inter...we should be fine.

I predict 3-1 for us.

Torres first...scrappy equaliser by the scums...1-1 half time...

Gerrard in the first 15 of the 2nd half...

And Torres again in the last 5...

3-1...yeah!
      « Last Edit: Mar 17, 2008 09:11:24 am by southafrican_red »
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #36: Mar 17, 2008 09:15:43 am
      Can't explain how I'm feelin about this game. This time these scumbags will get what they deserve.

Don't mean to sound like a radical supporter here but I'm saying this based on the kind of football we've been playin these days.

1. I just don't see them keeping Nando quiet...in fact I predict 2 for him.

2. If we keep our defensive shape like we did against Inter...we should be fine.

I predict 3-1 for us.

Torres first...scrappy equaliser by the scums...1-1 half time...

Gerrard in the first 15 of the 2nd half...

And Torres again in the last 5...

3-1...yeah!

Well based on the way they played against Derby I think that's highly possible!
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #37: Mar 17, 2008 11:38:21 am
      I have been waiting for this one. This time, its a bit of role reversal...last time out, we were looking stronger on the league table and we had the pressure on us. With the Arse slipping up again and Gallas admitting that they are struggling mentally, Manure are looking to secure top spot.

Its going to be a tough one, they weren't great against Derby and we didn't obliterate Reading either. But form really goes out of the window when we meet each other and I have to say we are definitely capable of ending our poor run at OT and coming away with the points. Rafa will probably try to play as compact as possible, like we did in the San Siro and then look for the sucker punch to change the game. They try for the win, leave spaces for Torres to exploit.

I would love to beat them...

Walk on...
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #38: Mar 17, 2008 12:18:57 pm
      We are overdue a win against them but a draw wouldnt be to bad of a result going into the Derby,maybe with Everton playing on sat will spur us on to victory knowing the result of that game might relax us a bit.
      Cy
      Reply #39: Mar 17, 2008 12:33:36 pm
      We proved many times that we can beat anyone, anytime, so yes we have a great chance to beat man u. We will need to be very solid on the back and take our chances, I agree that it will also depends a lot on the ref performance. I suspect more trash talking from fergusson to put pressure on the ref. We have to go out there and go straight for the K.O, siting back and play contre-attack could be dangerous..Now, I trust RAFA on this..:)
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #40: Mar 17, 2008 12:45:20 pm
      We have to go out there and go straight for the K.O, siting back and play contre-attack could be dangerous..Now, I trust RAFA on this..:)

Can't agree more. We have to go there to win the game. The longer it stays goalless...the more chances for United to sneak in one of their scrappy goals towards the end of the game. I think if Babel is on song...he can do a lot of damage. Our defence is more mobile ...Come on REDS!
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #41: Mar 17, 2008 01:46:17 pm
      Yes, absolutely no point in being cautious here. A draw is useless. We want maximum points from the remainder of the games we play. We are perfectly capable of turning them over. It all comes down to our attitude and Rafa's tactics. He doesn't need to get too technical, looking to avoid defeat. He just needs to put out the best 11, who are bang in form and tell them to do their job. That's all footballers want to hear.

Someone said that if we keep our defensive shape ala Inter we should be fine. I don't know about that. Inter had absolutely no penetration going forward. This time it will have to deal with Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney. It's going to be hard work and just one lapse of concentration can change the whole game for us. It will be very important to have Masch and Alonso doing what they did against  Reading, sweeping up in front of the defence. Keeping the pressure off the back four and not letting them lose their shape.

Personally, I wouldn't play Aurelio or Riise in this game. They are far too error prone and that's very dangerous as Utd have som many players who can capitalise on any mistakes we make. I'd Have Arbeloa on the left (mainly because of the great job he did against Messi last year) and Finnan on the right. He's due back but I doubt he'll be fit to start, so in that case it would have to be Carra at RB. Hoops and Skrtel in the centre. We need solidity right across the back line. Shame Agger's not fit.

In summary, we are more than capable of winning the game, once we walk out there with that intention and not worried about losing. Four years is far too long.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #42: Mar 17, 2008 01:50:02 pm
      Hoops that's a new one!
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #43: Mar 17, 2008 01:51:38 pm
      You not heard that before? It's quite old actually!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #44: Mar 17, 2008 01:55:00 pm
      You not heard that before? It's quite old actually!

Nope however I think your right we need the experienced defenders right now and who knows he may even get the winner with a header from a 90 min Gerrard corner to seal the points ;)
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #45: Mar 17, 2008 01:59:35 pm
      Nope however I think your right we need the experienced defenders right now and who knows he may even get the winner with a header from a 90 min Gerrard corner to seal the points ;)

That would be pretty damn good.

Quick Reply