Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Man Utd V Liverpool - Match Thread

Read 20986 times
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Re: Man Utd V Liverpool - Match Thread
      Reply #460: Mar 27, 2008 05:41:43 pm
      Mascherano shouldn't have be mixin it with the ref especially after last weeks carry on with Cole, the FA were bound to dig somebody out, and everybody knows how they love to do it to us.
      With all that said Mascherano should be far more professional and not locking horns with the ref in any game and specially in a game like Sundays, he should let his feet do the talkin, god knows he's paid enough  TBH I'm f***in discusted with him!
      He should have wipped his mouth walk away and scored a goal, cause he's good enough, The Mancs players must have been laugh their cocks off at him, idiot.
      Putting the outcome of a game like that in jeopardy is simple unacceptable!
      I hope he has learnt this leason!

I haven't been on here for a while, but I feel the need to reply to this post...
      I was very frustrated with the outcome of Sundays game because I really believed that we would get something out of it.  Too many big players went missing in my opinion, and obviously we weren't helped by the dismissal of Mascherano, but I'm not going to completely jump on the bandwagon in criticising his actions because I think that he shouldn't have been sent off.  Okay, in the current climate his actions were ill advised and he perhaps should have acted in a more professional manner but all games against the Mancs are high in intesity and emotion, and a little bit more thought should be used by the referees also.  I'm completely against any abuse towards a referee, but there was an old theory, 'if you didn't notice a referee then you knew he'd had a good game.'  Some Referee's are becoming too high profile in my opinion and this is obviously down to the scrutiny of more and more live television games and extra pressure placed on referees.  Steve Bennett was under such pressure having been criticised himself during the week prior to our game against Utd and Mascherano has been made a scapegoat.  Yes, he was having a bit of a go at Bennett over a few decisions, but nothing major in my opinion.  Yes, he deserved his initial booking for diving in with a poorly timed tackle, but Paul Scholes was guilty of a similar challenge before that which he never even received a talking to for.  So where's the consistency?  That's always going to be the problem, because in a couple of weeks a player will act in a much worse manner than Mascherano did and won't be sent off for it.
      As I've stated above, emotions run high in these types of games, and referees should realise that.  bennett booked Torres for complaining about being persistently fouled! That's nonsensical in my opinion, and that's why Mascherano felt the need to question it.  He wasn't abusive, he just wanted an answer, and I don't agree with people like Jamie Redknapp who say, 'Why did he get involved in something that wasn't anything to do with him?'  It has everything to do with him.  He plays for Liverpool Football Club, it's a team game, and one of his team mates had just received a ridiculous yellow card for complaining about being persistenly fouled, why not question it?  Okay, maybe Mascherano should have thought before he acted, but sometimes you wouldn't in such an intense game and how was he to know he was going to be sent off for asking a question? Even in the current climate?
      Are referees going to become completely unapproachable?  I've heard it said that only Captains will be able to approach the referee, but although Stevie G doesn't have many flaws he was nowhere to be seen when Torres received an unfair booking, and how would such a thing work if your goalkeeper was the captain and there was a problem in the other penalty area?  Will he have to run the full length of the field to approach a referee because his team mates will be fearing a booking or a sending off if they approach the referee?  It's not right in my opinion.  22 players start a game, and any one of them should be allowed to speak to a referee.  That's what Mascherano did, regardless of how far he ran to do so.  He wasn't aggressive or abusive.  Let's hope the referee is a bit more lenient in the derby!!!
      « Last Edit: Mar 27, 2008 06:11:34 pm by Istvan Kozma »
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #461: Mar 28, 2008 05:50:28 am
      cheers for the comments n points guys n girls, appreciated ;)
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #462: Mar 28, 2008 07:18:17 pm
      Before the weekend hits I think this topic should be locked so we can put it to the back of our minds and never have to see it again
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #463: Mar 28, 2008 08:11:27 pm
      Think your right there ShanerB, onwards and upwards, lets have them bluenoses on Sunday  ;)

Topic Locked

Quick Reply