Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. First yellow card of the Derby?

Within 2 minutes.
      (6.7%)
      Within 10 minutes.
      (48.3%)
      First half hour
      (26.7%)
      First half
      (8.3%)
      Second half
      (1.7%)
      No cards. A true gentleman's occasion.
      (8.3%)

Liverpool v Everton - Pre Match Thread

Read 8050 times
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • Š Established Quality Since 1977
      Liverpool v Everton - Pre Match Thread
      Mar 26, 2008 06:13:01 pm
      And about time too! Aren't we all getting sick of re-hashing the Man Utd match by now? I think it's been talked to death now, so it's time to bury the past and look to the future! "The future's bright, the future's Red"! If you hadn't noticed there's a match coming up Sunday, and not just any match! Get in your thoughts, predictions, line-ups and general chit-chat for the Liverpool derby, and prehaps crucial match to decide that all-important Champion's League spot.

Here's some facts from the Liverpool Echo website to whet your appetites:

Liverpool v Everton: Take it as red that Mersey derby is hottest of them all

FOR 83 years it was the fixture which had almost everything, except a sending off.

Merseyside derbies were often described as the most passionate and the most brutal in the football calendar.

But between Alf Milward’s dismissal in 1896 to the out of character flare-up which saw Garry Stanley and Terry McDermott red-carded in 1979, not one player endured an early bath.

Since then, however, Everton and Liverpool players have made up for lost time.

It is now the fixture with the most red cards in Premiership history.

In the last decade alone there have been 16 dismissals – and there could easily have been more.

David Unsworth received the first red card of the Premier League era, just seconds before Robbie Fowler, and the former Everton defender believes that while the fixture hasn’t changed, the attitude of referees undoubtedly has.

“It’s totally different to any other match,” he explained.

“The whole build-up is different, different even to big cup ties or games against Manchester United.

“It just means more. I know it shouldn’t do. You should go into every match the same, but the derby definitely means more.

“Having come up through the ranks like I did at Everton, even the A and B team games and the reserve derbies were always spicy.

“It was drummed into you that you hated Liverpool and all the Scouse players felt that way, anyway.

“I loved playing in them, but I hated losing.

“When you beat them they were the best highs ever, even higher than semi-finals or beating United.”

Unsworth believes that the derby match is as fierce as it has ever been, but that in the pre-Premier League and pre-TV scrutiny era, referees would be prepared to let so much more go.

“When I started off playing in the first team you would get away with a couple of reckless challenges before you were booked,” he explained. “Nowadays you don’t.

“The referee’s intention at the start of the match is always important.

“If he went out and punished the first couple of challenges with bookings players would watch their step more.

“But if he let one or two go, you got the same kind of situation that we had at Goodison this season. Dirk Kuyt’s kung fu tackle was worthy of a red on its own.

“The scrutiny of the games is so intense now that referees don’t let anything go.

“I saw an old derby match recently and couldn’t believe some of the challenges which were going unpunished.

“It was almost as if the referee was letting the players get on with it because it was a derby match. That obviously doesn’t happen any more.”

It didn’t happen on April 16, 1997 either, when Yorkshireman Stephen Lodge showed Unsworth and Fowler red cards for a flare-up better suited to Madison Square Garden than Goodison Park (Unsworth won by TKO).

“It was the first red card of my career and it came about purely and simply because it was a derby match,” he explained.

“In a normal league match I might not have reacted in the same way but you’re so wound up for a derby it’s much easier to lose focus.

“Robbie mentions the incident in his book and says that the suspension he suffered hit Liverpool’s hopes of winning the league that year, so I suppose I could say it was worth it because I indirectly helped stop them winning the league!

“Local players always used to react differently in derbies, and there used to be more local players involved.

“But now you have more foreign players who tend to live in and around the city anyway so they pick up the vibes from the fans.

“It’s definitely a unique occasion, and all the red and yellow cards add to it.

“I’ll be watching on Sunday, hoping for an Everton win – but most of all wishing I was out there playing in it.”
      « Last Edit: Mar 26, 2008 06:26:00 pm by JD »
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Re: Liverpool v Everton - Pre Match Thread
      Reply #1: Mar 26, 2008 06:22:15 pm
      Line upppp

Reina
      Arbeloa  Carra Skrtel  Aurelio

Lucas Alonso

Pennant  Gerrard  Babel

Torres

Although i no for a fact kuyt will be in pennants place. I can always hope pennant gets a game.

Go at them from the off and get an early goal or two.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1630 
      Reply #2: Mar 26, 2008 06:43:22 pm
      Had my tickets for sun confirmed this morning at least something to look forward to now instead of looking back at last sunday,c.mon the reds looking forward to seeing us turning up this week because we didnt last sunday.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #3: Mar 26, 2008 07:36:46 pm
      It has to be the traditional 442 for me, this time with wingers

-----------------Reina
      --Arbeloa---Carragher--Skrtel---Aurelio
      --Pennant--Alonso---Gerrard---Benayoun
      ---------------Torres--Babel

It's not our best team, however I feel in games like this we need to play more open and Pennant would do just that as we all know he likes to play very wide.
      Just feel that we have a fantastic striker who's playing as a winger right now so I want Babel to finally partner Torres upfront.

Obviously you can see all the strengh is straight down the middle, but the wide men can give our central players more freedom!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Mar 26, 2008 09:16:25 pm
      Line upppp

Reina
      Arbeloa  Carra Skrtel  Aurelio

Lucas Alonso

Pennant  Gerrard  Babel

Torres

Although I no for a fact kuyt will be in pennants place. I can always hope pennant gets a game.

Go at them from the off and get an early goal or two.

I dont think that Kuyt will start ahead of Pennant as he had a pretty poor game at United and Pennant is able to get crosses in and beat an opponent. I think we could win this game 2-0 with Torres getting them both
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #5: Mar 26, 2008 10:36:17 pm
      Right now. I'm really not losing sleep over the line up anymore. The priority now is for Us to get back on track. Go back to our winning ways. Looking for a 3 - 0 goal result.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1630 
      Reply #6: Mar 26, 2008 10:38:32 pm
      Forgot to say big thanks to Smigger for sending me the words to a song a while back ,be giving it a go on sunday see if i can remember it all .
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #7: Mar 26, 2008 10:54:16 pm
      It has to be the traditional 442 for me, this time with wingers

-----------------Reina
      --Arbeloa---Carragher--Skrtel---Aurelio
      --Pennant--Alonso---Gerrard---Benayoun
      ---------------Torres--Babel

It's not our best team, however I feel in games like this we need to play more open and Pennant would do just that as we all know he likes to play very wide.
      Just feel that we have a fantastic striker who's playing as a winger right now so I want Babel to finally partner Torres upfront.

Obviously you can see all the strengh is straight down the middle, but the wide men can give our central players more freedom!

See where you are comng from Ra Ra. I think we should go 442 for this one simply because with Mascherano out we may need Gerrard alongside Alonso in CM if it becomes a battle in the middle of the park. The one change I would make would be to play Babel on the left and have Crouch up front with Torres just to give us the option of varying the attack.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #8: Mar 26, 2008 10:55:13 pm
      I honestly don't care what side we cast out.

Just get the F***ing 3 points and steer clear of these bas**rds.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #9: Mar 26, 2008 10:58:22 pm

Get to the point though Courty... ;D
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #10: Mar 26, 2008 11:03:42 pm

Brilliant...... Yakubu going to find out what its like to play a real back four , the only time he will see the goal is after the final whistle when carra takes him out of his pocket
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #11: Mar 26, 2008 11:04:58 pm
      True to be honest the formation doesnt matter as long as we crush them and make it a 5 point gap im happy.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #12: Mar 27, 2008 07:24:32 am
      Right now. I'm really not losing sleep over the line up anymore. The priority now is for Us to get back on track. Go back to our winning ways. Looking for a 3 - 0 goal result.
      With you all the way on that solodee,we have got to get stuck into them from the first whistle.There is no room for sentiment,I would not worry if RAFA plays a couple of the reserves as long as we get the result.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #13: Mar 27, 2008 08:05:16 am
      Dont change the line up after 1 loss. Mine would beL

Reina

Arbeloa     Carragher       Skrtel       Aurellio

Alonso            Lucas

Pennant              Gerrard                Babel

Torres

Itandje Riise Benayoun Kuyt i have no idea who else.

I dont think the players will let the past game affect the game we have this week, its another derby and a perfect way to forget about the scum game.

Just realised this is the same line up as lil cisse too, great minds think alike mate ;)
      Walk-wright-on
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts | 13 
      • FSG - The future is bright!!
      Reply #14: Mar 27, 2008 08:45:25 am
                                  Reina

Arbeloa     Carragher       Skrtel       Aurellio

Alonso            Lucas

Gerrard              Benayoun                Babel

Torres

Lets get at the b*stards early and give them a lesson!! 3-1 for me, couldnt care who scores the goals as long as we do them good and proper.  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #15: Mar 27, 2008 10:23:43 am
      No cards. A true gentleman's occasion.  0 (0%)

who's been smoking Donrafael's socks?

I reckon we will have a decent game and maybe a few cards in the first 10-15 mins and my money is on Gerrard!

Team I would go for is the same as crouchinho and lil cisse having Pennant on the right is always an advantage in my eyes and Lucas proved usefull @ Goodison Park earlier this season and may yet get his first derby goal.  Also the thought of playing Aurellio and Babel in left back and left wing respectively is reassuring as they provide skill and advanced movement as Arbeloa and Pennant do on the right. 

2-0 home win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spYcp0ZB4nM
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #16: Mar 27, 2008 10:34:39 am
      I voted for 1st card in the 2nd half... had a quick puff before I voted!

I actually think the ref will let a lot go in the first half, given all the press this last week....

I expect more than a few sparks in the 2nd half... with Lescott getting red for hacking down Torres or Gerrard.

Home Win 3-1 (Torres, Pennant, Carra)

I always get Carra in there... well you live in hope don't you...
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #17: Mar 27, 2008 10:41:10 am
      We hate Nottingham Forest we Hate Everton too their sh*t..............

2-0 win for me like others Im beyond bothering and wont lose any sleep over team selection.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #18: Mar 27, 2008 10:57:55 am
      will I expect more than a few sparks in the 2nd half... with Lescott getting red for hacking

I always get Carra in there... well you live in hope don't you...

You certainly do Don! I reckon you will get odds of 33-1 on that.
      albertdock
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Reply #19: Mar 27, 2008 01:06:57 pm

Round of applause!!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #20: Mar 27, 2008 01:24:18 pm

Is right. all I want is 11 lads 100% committed to giving these bitters a good seeing to. Lets have a few tackles crashing in boys put our marker down. This is Anfield and your getting nothing of us!!
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #21: Mar 27, 2008 01:37:40 pm
      We can play the reserves for all I care.  Even our younger players are capeable of beating these overrated bitter tw*ts.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #22: Mar 27, 2008 01:40:25 pm
      3 points on Sunday is a must! We've got to push clear a bit, can't let them nudge ahead now.

Quick Reply