Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Benitez and Barcelona

Read 8269 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Benitez and Barcelona
      Mar 26, 2008 10:43:18 pm
      Barcelona planning summer Rafa raid

The Spanish media has re-ignited the talk of Rafa Benitez leaving Liverpool for Spain this summer after suggestions in a host of Spanish papers that Joan Laporta prefers Benitez to Mourinho to take the helm of the Catalan club.

Both El Mundo and Marca were amongst newspapers carrying today’s story.

The Barca chairman is widely tipped to wield the axe on current boss Frank Rijkaard after a disappointing season for Barcelona and with the news that Benitez is now ‘top of the list’ this will only lead to another anxious summer for Liverpool fans.

Benitez has had some major issues this season with the new Chairmen.

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2008/barcelona-want-benitez/

Surprised nobody has picked up on this in the forum.  Reported by Marca and El Mundo, sure some of those on here living in Spain may know of other media sources reporting the story.

Not too sure if Laporta is 'up for election' at Barcelona soon but I think this has something to do with them believing Mourinho may move to Madrid and not wanting to put all their eggs in one basket.

I know Rafa is a Madrid man, but after all the strife he has had this year at the club, could he resist if Barcelona came knocking on his door?
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: Benitez and Barcelona
      Reply #1: Mar 26, 2008 10:45:05 pm
      I feel sick.

I can't bare any more stressful speculation.  It's not healthy.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #2: Mar 26, 2008 10:46:16 pm
      I think Benitez is obviously more suited to the La Liga, however think these rumors are flase and Rafa will finally reveal that!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #3: Mar 26, 2008 10:47:00 pm
      No way. Non-starter. Rafa simply does not want to leave Liverpool FC. End of.

The press can say what they like, but they only way Rafa is leaving Liverpool any time soon is IF he gets sacked... then that's another ball game all together.

IRWT

If you want to know what is going on with Rafa/LFC-Spanish-Contigent, keep tabs on what Guillem Balague says on La Liga show... e.g. Xabi leaving LFC in the summer... with Atletico, Barca and Real fighting for his signature... particularly if he has a great Euro2008.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #4: Mar 26, 2008 10:47:18 pm
      Why do I feel like we are always the victim?  And that we have to F***ing dismiss this stuff all the time on Rafa.

The nerve of some reporters.  I've had enough.  I'm not listening to this sh*te any more.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #5: Mar 26, 2008 10:48:04 pm
      I think Benitez is obviously more suited to the La Liga, however think these rumors are flase and Rafa will finally reveal that!

From what I have made from the Spanish press, is that they don't usually come out with much in the way of bullshit stories, especially when this is reported in a number of papers as is the case here.

LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #6: Mar 26, 2008 10:50:04 pm
      Its always us if Stevie Gs not going to chelsea rafas going to spain f~*king media do my head in
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #7: Mar 26, 2008 10:51:35 pm
      Another interesting point to make, it's all gone quiet on the Avram Grant abuse hasn't it?

They'll be saying Fergie is too old next.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #8: Mar 26, 2008 10:53:15 pm
      From what I have made from the Spanish press, is that they don't usually come out with much in the way of bullshit stories, especially when this is reported in a number of papers as is the case here.

JD the spanish sporting press has as much if not more bullshit than English papers matey...

There are 3 national sports daily news papers - each with about 40 - 50 pages to fill day in, day out.

You would be amazed what they fabricate.

Today they are saying that England is fully behind Spain for the Euro2008 campaign saying there is a tv advertising campaign on Sky promoting GB fans to support Spain... this is just bad reporting on a humourous campaign on La Liga show on Sky Sports... just a barometer of the bulllshite that is produced.

David Villa for example is going to move to Man Utd, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Atletico de Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea and AC Milan... oh and Liverpool ... depending what you read out here...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #9: Mar 26, 2008 10:55:02 pm
      Its always us if Stevie Gs not going to chelsea rafas going to spain f~*king media do my head in

Yep.  In our papers it is.

Like I said before... it's relatively unusual for the Spanish press to collectively push a story.

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/web/gen/20080326/noticia_53449462610.html

Probably only winning the European Cup will save Frank Rijkaard, but we want to win it.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #10: Mar 26, 2008 11:02:51 pm
      Still don't know what to make of this.

Wait for Rafa to come out on Friday in the Derby press conference and pledge his future to us yet again?

Words aren't worth anything in the press though, are they?
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #11: Mar 26, 2008 11:05:51 pm
      Saw this very early on Wednesday morning. Thought it was one of those wind-up-LFC-stories. I do hope they look elsewhere for their new manager.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #12: Mar 26, 2008 11:06:23 pm
      XABI ISNT LEAVINGGGGGGGGGG.

and nor is rafa
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #13: Mar 26, 2008 11:07:50 pm
      XABI ISNT LEAVINGGGGGGGGGG.

and nor is rafa

Don't be too sure about Xabi... RAFA ON THE OTHER HAND YOU CAN PUT IN CAPS - RAFA ISN'T LEAVINGGGG
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #14: Mar 26, 2008 11:09:04 pm
      ;D i refuse to believe xabi is going anywhere i dnt give a damn what guillem says.

Im sure he has before and has again this time.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #15: Mar 26, 2008 11:14:34 pm
      DonRafa

Only time Villa, Eto'o and that are linked to Prem clubs is when the English media make it up, however Spanish media is also bullshit but they don't make up random stories about things like this, they just exagerate. English media like to make up the most false rumors you'll ever hear.

Who's on the, Gerrard to Everton rumor? It's bound to happen in a season or two...
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #16: Mar 26, 2008 11:25:28 pm
      ;D I refuse to believe xabi is going anywhere I dnt give a damn what guillem says.

Im sure he has before and has again this time.

It's not Guillem you have to worry about mate... as rumours go... apparently it's Xabi's girlfriend that apparently is getting itchy feet to get back to Spain soon ... and she has just given birth too... so don't think Xabi is in total control of his destiny, because he aint... unless his missus has a change of heart ... or he chucks her ...and the baby... and I can't see Xabi doing that.

lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #17: Mar 26, 2008 11:29:37 pm
      Well i havent read that anywhere anddd Xabi said he wants his son to spend his first YEARS in england. I still dont think he will leave.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #18: Mar 26, 2008 11:30:03 pm
      Can't the baby just be a Spanish Scouser?

To be honest, about Xabi Alonso.. I really think he wouldn't be a massive loss for us if he did go but however until we can find someone similar but more attack minded then he should stay. Would love to see Matias Fernandez here, he's mint!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #19: Mar 26, 2008 11:32:14 pm
      Can't the baby just be a Spanish Scouser?

To be honest, about Xabi Alonso.. I really think he wouldn't be a massive loss for us if he did go but however until we can find someone similar but more attack minded then he should stay. Would love to see Matias Fernandez here, he's mint!

I thought that till i spoke to villareal fans who said theyd give me him for 50p if they could. Apparently he's struggling in la liga.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #20: Mar 26, 2008 11:32:54 pm
      You see it's not just about the players... the missus' play a big part...

Pepe and Rafa are REALLY REALLY happy about their kids being in the UK for the first years of their lives... both have gone public and on record saying so... and you know that their respective missus are behind them.

I don't think exactly the same applies to Xabi and his significant other... but hey... these were simply rumours I heard here in Madrid when she was pregnant... and she might have found her sanity again now that she has popped!

« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2008 11:36:07 pm by donrafael »
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #21: Mar 26, 2008 11:34:59 pm
      I thought that till I spoke to villareal fans who said theyd give me him for 50p if they could. Apparently he's struggling in la liga.

Don't rate Matias Fernandez, would rather have Senna to be honest...
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #22: Mar 26, 2008 11:38:23 pm
      Even if the rumours are true and Barca want Rafa, what's to say he will want to go? He's a Madridista remember? The fact that he is so stubborn makes me feel that he'd want to stay on and win the league to prove his doubters wrong.

Quick Reply