Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 8th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Match Thread Liverpool V Everton

Read 9778 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Match Thread Liverpool V Everton
      Reply #92: Mar 30, 2008 06:17:55 pm
      Yep we should have had 3 or 4 over the 90 mins, certainly 3 in the 1st half, 2nd half looked like a training game, sit back and lets see if we can contain them, trouble was the BS did not have a clue, Arsenal will be a totally different game. Babel needs to get some scoring boots, and Skirtle is fast becoming a great player.
      All in all 3pts is 3pts.
      Did any one else get the whole of the 2nd half in Chinese?
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #93: Mar 30, 2008 06:18:14 pm
      And I'll tell you had a decent game, Riise, I was made up with his performance today  ;)  Looked a lot sharper.

Let's hope it's one of many before the season finishes.  Glad Aurelio didn't play.  My heart would of constantly been in my mouth if I seen that left side empty!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #94: Mar 30, 2008 06:21:46 pm
      After last week's game this was a massive return to form.

If Dirk Kuyt had wore boots instead of wellies we probably would have won more convincingly in terms of scoreline.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #95: Mar 30, 2008 06:22:18 pm
      I noticed today against Everton that a few players looked like they were starting to burn out earlier than usuall. One of them being Fernando Torres who is probably starting to feel the pace of the league in his first season here.

We've got some fresher bodies still, like Jermaine Pennant, Yossi Benayoun & Peter Crouch.. so worth playing these more often to avoid more burnout to key players such as Torres and the rest of the first XI ?
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #96: Mar 30, 2008 06:24:03 pm
      Had to laugh at the info bar going across the screen whilst the match was on quote  "Liverpool and Everton have both won 58 major trophies between them, Liverpool 43 and Everton 15 "  -  Says it all really doesn't it   :lmao:
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #97: Mar 30, 2008 06:25:10 pm
      Had to laugh at the info bar going across the screen whilst the match was on quote  "Liverpool and Everton have both won 58 major trophies between them, Liverpool 43 and Everton 15 "  -  Says it all really doesn't it   :lmao:

:lmao:

Had to nudge me Dad an laugh at that.  Quality.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #98: Mar 30, 2008 06:26:28 pm
      OFF topic but did any one notice Spurs lost to Newcastle 4-1 at home and they were 1-0 at half time, MOTD2 will be watched tonight. Off now, washing and Ironing to do plus another run.
      Walk-wright-on
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts | 13 
      • FSG - The future is bright!!
      Reply #99: Mar 30, 2008 06:35:58 pm
      Thought Skrtel was outstanding!! Nobody had a bad game but thought he was immense!!
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #100: Mar 30, 2008 06:37:39 pm
      Decent match, thought it was a little worrying we didn't bury it, and although they never actually threatened except for that one Osman header, another team might have taken advantage of our inadequacies in front of goal. I thought Alonso was also off the pace today, misplaced passes and he seemed a little hot headed at times, and Arteta got the better of him a couple of times. Lucas was also bad, never really did a lot, although he did put a couple of passes around well enough, but his tackling wasn't the best and his basic passing let him down. Both of them are capable of much better performances.

Anyway, negatives out of the way, I thought we looked extremely dangerous attacking, even if we couldn't finish things off. Babel was a little stop start, but he always had the beating of Hibbert everytime, and it was good to see him get the chance to turn and run at the fullback. He does need to improve his final ball though, with both feet, as he can't just cut inside everytime. Gerrard bossed the game and was excellent, throwing himself into tackles, spurring the team on, spraying passes all over the pitch and attacking well. Torres was a constant threat and his goal was nicely taken. I thought Kuyt had one of his better games in a Liverpool shirt. He didn't give the ball away stupidly, he worked hard and won the ball back, showed great spirit, and was for once a bit of a threat up front. Should have done better with two or three opportunities, but he worked hard to get into the positions in the first place, and he created chances for others too, including the goal itself. The man I was highly impressed by was Skrtel. The big man was a rock at the back, he and Hyypia kept Yakubu very quiet. Sami was good, but Skrtel was very very impressive. He wasn't slow on his feet, and dived in to stop Yakubu breaking through with pace a couple of times. One moment that stood out for me was when they had us on the break, and Osman picked the ball up in the middle, with Carra backing off as there were two more Everton players making forward runs. Skrtel sprints back, catches Osman and puts in a crunching sliding tackle to hook the ball halfway down the other side of the pitch.

Let's hope we can keep the build up play going for the Arsenal game, and see if we can finish a few more of our opportunties. If we can do that, we'll be in business..
      Judge
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #101: Mar 30, 2008 06:41:06 pm
      I would have opened an own topic for this but I do not have the privilege so far so I'm deemed to reply to match topic. Sorry about this, but it has a point in todays game also.

We have so far scored 100 times this season. It's 9 more than manure. We have wuite the same cup success, at least for CL. Our top scorer has 28% of our goals, theirs have 38,5%.

So why are we so dependend on Torres and Gerrard, and why we have already lost 3/4 of our seasonal targets, on comparison to manure, who are on target for Premier League and on level with us in CL? What are we doing wrong here? The simple stats show that we should be on level with them, not some 14 points down?

The Grand Slam (Super Sunday in my native Finnish) games are a part of it, but I don't think that's the whole answer. But for that part, why do we go on these games as most likely loosers? In pre hand at least? Why do we have not the courage to try to win these games? Against chelski in August we looked like winners, and the same goes for manure in Autumn. Total 1 point of six in those games. Other matches against the big ones we have looked like losers, and got like one not deserved point from Arsenal.

About tonight, we did deserve the points we got. And again, we didn't kill the game, no second, third nor fourth goal to give a breath before final whistle. Why? And why of why not a one corner to look dangerous (although we scored from one)?

Judge
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #102: Mar 30, 2008 06:42:56 pm
      Thought Skrtel was outstanding!! Nobody had a bad game but thought he was immense!!

He's very good on low, but scrap in he air. As seen on manure game. He needs a gerat work on the air game to help Pepe. So far Sami is the main man on air. And considering his age, that's a growing problem for us.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,495 posts | 8677 
      Reply #103: Mar 30, 2008 06:44:58 pm
      Good battling victory, should of put them to bed in the first half.

Good to see our Captain turned up today!!! Unlucky with his chance in the first half.

And Srktel just gets better, might of been slighty at fault for the 1st goal with wes brown last week, but was spot on today with hyypia, who played the yak to a tee.

Nando looked a bit jaded 2nd half, but the boy was on fire in first half, great finish too.
      Judge
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #104: Mar 30, 2008 06:45:59 pm
      I noticed today against Everton that a few players looked like they were starting to burn out earlier than usuall. One of them being Fernando Torres who is probably starting to feel the pace of the league in his first season here.

We've got some fresher bodies still, like Jermaine Pennant, Yossi Benayoun & Peter Crouch.. so worth playing these more often to avoid more burnout to key players such as Torres and the rest of the first XI ?

Well, this was a game of high profile, so this is the game we should burn our players. There are games to come to rest, but the battle of fourth place, this was a major one.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #105: Mar 30, 2008 06:46:48 pm
      Thought Xabi only had a mediocre game today, he kept giving the ball away.  I used to wait for the 'surprise' goal from Xabi, but he seems to have lost a bit of the passion he once had.

Compared to his past post-injury performance, today was good.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #106: Mar 30, 2008 06:53:56 pm

I think Babel showed signs of being exhausted. Torres was good. Babe is the future. Really needs to step up his game. I really think he is not having a great game playing from the left. He is a second Striker naturally. 
      « Last Edit: Mar 30, 2008 06:57:55 pm by solodee »
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #107: Mar 30, 2008 06:57:55 pm
      I think Babel showed signs of being exhausted. Torres was good. He is the future. Really needs to step up his game. I really think he is not having a great game playing from the left. He is a second Striker naturally. 

I'd really like to know how our players train and what their sceduels are.. because since Pako has left our players don't look as sharp and seem to be getting very tired in the last ten minutes.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #108: Mar 30, 2008 07:02:43 pm
      The second half was like our players' got their minds occupied with the Champions League game coming up; Like they lost a bit of interest in the game playing with a weak team like Everton.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #109: Mar 30, 2008 07:05:22 pm
      Got back from the match, pretty chuffed to say the least!  ;D The final scoreline might not have been te 4-1 whitewash I predicted, but who cares? It could have been 3-0 at the end of the first half alone! A fantastic performance, we totally dominated them and created lots of chances. The second half was less impressive, we looked a little tired after the effort we had put in, yet again I was left wondering why Rafa didn't make a couple of changes earlier on to rest our players before Arsenal next week. Still, we remained solid, I didn't have that sinking feeling that they were going to equalise, and it could have been two near the end from Gerrard.

I really wanted Sami Hyppia to play today, and I think his experience showed. The one or two times they looked threatening he was there with a last-ditch challenge, perfectly timed of course. He dominated in the air, reliable as ever. Looking forward to his tenth season with us next year! What a player he is, ageless! Skrtel was pretty good for me next to him. The difference of experience is obvious though between the two, Sami's anticipation rules out many an attack where Skrtel has to put in a hard challenge, but he was fast and solid. It will do him the world of good to play next to Carra and Sami, he could become an excellent player IMO.

Nice to see a Gerrard on top form today too, he could have knocked in a couple of beauties, hard luck to him, but when he went off he looked pleased with his days work. We see the derby means a lot to him and Carra, they worked extremely hard, but also very effectively too. Like Smigger said earlier, there was an impressive and confident performance from Riise today - I think Rafa played him because he's more muscly and solid than Arbeloa, he had a great presence, looked like no-one was going past him and his passing was good too (could have had a goal too from a powerful strike!). Nothing more to say about Torres, pure class and hard-working with it! The complete package!

Five-point cushion is ours, so is fourth spot! C'mon you Reds, lets keep up this kind of form for another storming finish to the season!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #110: Mar 30, 2008 07:31:49 pm
      That walk home from Anfield was the sweetest of all season!! You can't beat the bragging rights. Only three of my mates who are bitters didn't answer their phone and the other one told me to F**k off!  :lmao: Love it!

Agree with everyone who says we should have finished them off. The first half we should have been well more than one goal up. I was beginning to worry about the second half, hoping it wasn't going to be 'another one of those games'.
      Wasn't happy with us taking the foot off the pedal in the latter stages of the second half - we were by far the better team, so there was no need to.

Glad to see most of the team turn up today. Thought Skrtel and Hyypia were class. Really liking Skrtels no nonsense attitude. He put a ball on the roof in the second half! Gerrard played some classic balls today and looked his familiar self compared to last week. And Torres once again was a menace and they couldn't live with him in the first half. Still not convinced about Lucas. His concentration is questionable. But he did have some decent link up play now and again.

Job done. Three points. Lots of stick to give out this week.  ;D Think I'll be cracking a few beers open tonight!! I'm a very happy red!

We're all going to Moscow, you're all going to Tesco, na na nar nar, na na nar nar!!!  :lmao:
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #111: Mar 30, 2008 07:35:40 pm
      We're all going to Moscow, you're all going to Tesco, na na nar nar, na na nar nar!!!  :lmao:

Absolutely loved that one when it started ringin' out :D :D :D
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #112: Mar 30, 2008 07:43:00 pm
      Great win today Im chuffed to bits and Im looking forward to the CL game against the gooners now as that Bolton game will have taken it out of them big time. Have to say one thing after a fine team performance and very enjoyable match, LUCAS was sh*t today utter sh*t. Sorry little fella but you need to pull your socks up as we all know you can do better than that. Personnally I dont feel he is strong enough for that position. He is only a little fella and gets physically removed from the ball at times, apart from that I think everyone else did great, especially Dirk Kuyt who put in a bloody good performance with a workrate second to none, well played dutch well played.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #113: Mar 30, 2008 07:56:40 pm
      Good thing we have Mascherano for the Champions League match.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #114: Mar 30, 2008 08:55:41 pm
      A much better performance than last week and were unlucky not to win by a few more goals. Kuyt had a very good game and didn't stop running until the final whistle, much better than last week. I particuly liked the way he was shuttling to and from the everton pllayers at the back at the end and prevented them from trying to get a late attack. Lucas was good but i think its clear he needs to build up his strength because he gets shoved off the ball too often and too easily. I thought Torres took his goal really well and its great to get 100 this season considering we are only in 2 competitions now, would have been 101 if it wasn't for that bloody post but the important thing is they forgot about last week and produced a good performance. Bring on ass-nal

Quick Reply