Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Arsenal v Liverpool - Pre Match Thread (CL)

Read 5167 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Re: Arsenal v Liverpool - Pre Match Thread (CL)
      Reply #23: Mar 31, 2008 11:20:59 pm
      Well last season we didn't really have any real threat up front so teams like Arsenal would go out and attack us all game but now we got Torres they know they have to be cautious, a bit like Man Utd were when they played us. I think Arsenal won't go all out attack as leaving Torres in space could cost them, so this could well be a tight game!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #24: Mar 31, 2008 11:49:34 pm
      An away goal is a must, as has been said. They have all the ability in the world to come at us at Anfield and get a goal, so we need to work some magic and come away with at least one goal. Even if we lose 2-1, that's a decent result and sets us up at Anfield with a little pressure off. I feel we're going to need alot of improvement when it comes to crosses into our defence, as we've seen a couple of times in recent weeks where Reina, Hyypia and Skrtel have got their wires crossed to let in a headed goal. With Arsenal having the massive Adebayor up front, Wenger may pick up on it and get his boys to sling some crosses in.

I disagree kenny, the priority is not a clean sheet, it's a goal. I've had this argument with my dad a couple of times, and I agree with him. When you're away in the Champions League, you almost have as much as an advantage as you do playing at home, because there is less pressure on you to perform, and you know that if you just nick an away goal things swing dramatically in your favour.

Another factor to consider is the absence of Arsenals best right back, Sagna. With him out for all three games, I'll be interested to see who Wenger puts there, as I feel someone like Justin Hoyte could be too inexperienced to deal with Ryan Babel and anyone else wouldn't have the pace to keep up. If Babel can rise to the occassion and prove himself to be worth the money Wenger didn't want to pay, he could swing things in our way.

And with Arsenal having to see us again at Emirates on the weekend, as well as a trip to Old Trafford, will Wenger look to keep a few players out of the clash thinking the premiership is still alive? Make no mistake, the pressure is very much on them at this point in the season, with so much expected of them during the first half of the season. At least our poor league position means we don't have to play for much (being 5 points clear) in terms of league position.

I'm not going to predict a score, but I'll be happy with a goal, even if they score one or two.

Good post mate. You're spot on about pressure being on Arsenal.

But I still think a clean sheet is priority. With conceding a goal or two in the first leg, the pressure would be on us at Anfield to go and throw the proverbial kitchen sink at them LFC Champions League style, if we didn't score - or scored less than they did. Against other teams I wouldn't be as concerned about that, but Arsenal can certainly hurt you if you go gung-ho at them. I think you're asking for trouble committing too many people forward against a free flowing side like them. The philosophy of having nearly as much an advantage with being away in this particular tie, isn't all that black and white. It's Premiership opposition and I'd say probably the most dangerous if you're not careful against them.

I must add though, I'm not saying let's go there and not try get a goal. I believe we can score against them. Which is one of the reasons a clean sheet is priority for me.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #25: Apr 01, 2008 01:39:08 am
      On second thought:

Reina

Arbeloa  Carragher  Skrtel  Aurelio

Mascherano

Pennant     Gerrard     Babel

Crouch      
                           Torres

Subs: Kuyt, Benanyun, Lucas, Riise, Alonso

Really dont want Torres alone on this one.
      « Last Edit: Apr 01, 2008 06:36:54 pm by solodee »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #26: Apr 01, 2008 01:46:17 am
      Link to the Times article

Assured Steven Gerrard believes Liverpool will overcome Americans’ civil war

It is a reflection of the extent of the divisions between George Gillett Jr and Tom Hicks that Liverpool's feuding American owners have requested not to be seated together at the Emirates Stadium tomorrow evening, but, on the field at least, Steven Gerrard believes that there will be no shortage of unity as the team prepare for the first in their hat-trick of matches against Arsenal.

After the acute disappointment of losing to Manchester United nine days ago, a 1-0 victory against Everton in the Merseyside derby on Sunday provided Liverpool with the perfect fillip before the first leg of their mouth-watering Champions League quarter-final against Arsenal.

The North London club experienced a similarly morale-boosting win on Saturday when they came from two goals down with ten men to defeat Bolton Wanderers 3-2 at the Reebok Stadium, but, while Gerrard is forecasting a titanic tussle, the Liverpool captain believes that Arsenal's involvement in the Barclays Premier League title chase could provide an unwelcome distraction for Arsène Wenger's players.

“If Arsenal hadn't beaten Bolton, maybe they'd have only one thing to play for this season and that could have made it more difficult for us,” Gerrard said. “But with them still having half a chance in the league, maybe that could distract them a bit.

“It had been a difficult week for us, having to swallow the [3-0] defeat we had at Manchester United, but Sunday was all about bouncing back and making sure we could take a positive into the Arsenal game. We know it will be tough, but we will be going there with confidence.”

Arsenal may be the bookmakers' favourites to progress to the last four, but Liverpool under Rafael BenĂ­tez are a different proposition in Europe than they are domestically, as reflected in them reaching the Champions League final twice in the past four seasons.

Liverpool also face Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium in the league on Saturday, three days before the second leg of their Champions League quarter-final at Anfield, but Gerrard is adamant that domestic form will count for little in the two European ties.

Under Benítez, Liverpool have lost five and won three of their nine matches in all competitions against Arsenal. “The Champions League games against Arsenal are going to be different to the league game we have there,” Gerrard said. “We found the Champions League games we had against Chelsea were different to the Premier League games, with it being a cup competition and not for three points.

“We're a good side in Europe and we're always confident, no matter who we come up against, that we are going to qualify. The other teams are more worried about us because we have proved in the last two or three years that we're one of the best teams in the competition. We've got nothing to fear.”

Sami Hyypia, the Liverpool defender, is similarly optimistic. “To score there could be important and we'll go there to win and play our game,” he said. “We'll go to keep a clean sheet and get a 1-0 win. They are a brilliant team at keeping the ball and passing it. They have great movement and are very dangerous, but we have enough quality in our team to be confident of containing them.”

Although the match will take centre stage, the sight of Gillett and Hicks in the directors' box at the Emirates Stadium would be no less eye-catching. Hicks is expected to travel to London with a party of 12 guests, while Gillett is scheduled to fly in from Colorado with his son, Foster.

Representatives of Dubai International Capital, the Arab investment group that wants to take over ownership at Anfield from the Americans, are also expected to attend the match, although no talks are planned for this week.

Good to hear the confidence, but I really really prefer the talking being done on the pitch.

Hicks is going to be there for the game though? Anyone reckon those twelve guests are security?....
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #27: Apr 01, 2008 04:13:26 am
      We must not undermine Arsenal nor be too cocky about this. As for the team I would field I agree with most of the line ups on here, I am inclined to play Sammi again with Skrtel in the back providing they start with Adebayor because he needs to be muscled out of the game. As inconsistent as Riise has been defensivley this year I would give him the nod over Aurelio because he seems a bit quicker and more lively. Also because Sagna is out I am thinking Wenger will play Eboue in the RB role and push Walcott on the RM. But we also should not take a defensive approach.

And kenny mate what is with the kitchen sinks??
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #28: Apr 01, 2008 04:19:01 am
      We are Liverpool Football Club.
      Its Tuesday today. We are coming to get you...gooners
      Arsenal 1 2 Liverpool

We are going to get them on the counter.

Common Liverpool...YNWA
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #29: Apr 01, 2008 12:43:58 pm
      And now, post Bitters-beating, can we get down to business?

Juicy one, very significant for us. Given the concerns of the Arse's ability to take advantage of a team that is on the all-out offensive, we don't want to leave ourselves with it all to do in the return fixture. Sure, easier said but I think that alot will depend on the mindset of the team. How do they approach this one?

Aurelio will probably get the nod ahead of Riise while we might see Kirk drop to the bench in favour of Jermaine "John Legend" Pennant. Lucas struggled against a chunky bluenosed midfield and may be more effective against Fabric Ass and co but, I think Masch will be back to galvanise and give Stevie more freedom. Its going to be a tight one, expect us to play compact and miserly at the back...no inch to give and hopefully none taken. Carra will probaby be joined by Ninja Turtle at the heart with Arbeloa returning to the starting lineup. Hopefully Babel gets another go at terrorizing another right back but we expect him to have a tougher task this time around if its Eboue he's up against.

I will be happy with a score draw but...its not like we actually can't win it...

Come on lads

Walk on...

IRWT

redhotrobbie
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | -16 
      Reply #30: Apr 01, 2008 02:59:35 pm
      There was a comment from the Arsenal defender Kolo Toure the other day when he said he thinks Liverpool will be scared to play Arsenal because they beat you three times last season. Have you got anything to be scared of?

Rafa:   No.
      ________________________ ________________________ _____________
      Brilliant

Bring it on
      IB
      • Prediction League Champion 2008/09
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts | 18 
      Reply #31: Apr 01, 2008 03:18:00 pm
      There was a comment from the Arsenal defender Kolo Toure the other day when he said he thinks Liverpool will be scared to play Arsenal because they beat you three times last season. Have you got anything to be scared of?

Rafa:   No.
      ________________________ ________________________ _____________
      Brilliant

Bring it on

hahaha Rafa has no fear, he knows that Adebayor (or as i like to call him Adebayusless) is no Torres!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #32: Apr 01, 2008 04:04:56 pm
      I personally think that we need to retain them and keep the game tight.  I just feel Arsenal play under pressure in the champion’s league.  I don’t think we should be too daring and keep the game in the balance.  If they get the lead they’ll get confident and chasing the game against them could be dangerous.  Especially considering the sign’s of tiredness seen in the latter part of the derby.  Wenger’s men have also shown sign’s of fatigue of late, but as long as we don’t let them play in cruise control, I think this will work in our advantage.   I really think that keeping a clean sheet should be a priority, and if does be 0-0, let it be.  Personally, I would take 0-0 to anfield.  And make it very special night at home. 

There are posters that have special request of throwing the kitchen sink at the Emirates, just want to point out this is a two legged affair.  If god forbid, they get 2-0 at home we will be sitting ducks. 

For me this has to be a tactical battle give nothing and take what you can from the Emirates, as a special night at the European capital stadium will just be the doctor’s orders. 

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2826 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #33: Apr 01, 2008 05:29:56 pm
      A lot of people here will disagree with me on this but Id go back 4-4-2 for this one with Crouchie coming in up front. I dont think Arsenal know how to deal with him and I think he would help create more room and space for Nando.

Id also revert back to Finnan at right back and Arbeloa back to left back with Aurelio pushed on. I think our 2 wide men will need to be able to get forward and back equally as good so here my 11

Reina
      Finnan                       Carra                                     Skrtel                      Arbeloa

Gerrad                      masch                                    Xabi                        Aurelio

Crouch                                Torres

I have no fear of Arsenal at all but fear taht we may show them too much respect. They can be got at and we have the players to do it so I hope we try and put them on the backfoot. Im not talking about going gung ho but dont sit back and let them get in there stride. Raelly looking forward to this tie

I.R.W.T     
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #34: Apr 01, 2008 05:50:04 pm
      Brian, I like that line up with the possibility of using Babel off the bench in the last half an hour, but something tell me that Kuyt will be chosen a head of Crouch!
      IB
      • Prediction League Champion 2008/09
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts | 18 
      Reply #35: Apr 01, 2008 06:08:50 pm
      I agree, I think that formation is good, but theres no Babel and Rafa has been playing him pretty often recently. Also i dont like the idea of Gerrard playing on the right, he seems much more effective as playing as a 2nd striker to Torres. Maybe Pennant on the right to cross plays into Crouchie? Its a good thought though, and its something that will put Arsenal off because they'll be expecting something similar to what we've been playing currently.

Crouch has qualities that no other striker that we currently have has. If a player crosses the ball into Crouch's region 9/10 times he'll get the ball which is a quality that I think is priceless. An excellent example of when I think hes done this job suberbly was against Inter Milan (1st leg). He came on as a sub and when he did he changed the play completely and added another dimension to the squad.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #36: Apr 01, 2008 06:24:19 pm
      The best formation for this match will be the 4 - 1 - 3 - 2; (Bench Alonso, so Mascherano is alone in front of the defenders then Crouch join Torres upfront. Against a world-class side, Torres becomes a victim of mauling and brutal attacks (Man U games), but with Crouch beside him, its hard to focus too strongly on Torres. Gerrard to revert back to his roaming midfield role.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #37: Apr 02, 2008 03:58:35 am
      I would like to change my line up:

Reina

Arbeloa         Carragher         Skrtel          Aurellio

Mascherano

Pennant                Gerrard                 Benayoun

Babel
                                        Torres

I think with all the defence targetting Torres, now could be the chance for Ryan to step up with some responsibility. I think he should play around Torres and wait for that ball to pop out becuase lets face it Torres will have 2 men on him once he gets the ball. Babel i feel would the best player for us to do it up front, he is quick and has a great shot on him which is very important. Similarly you could play Crouchy and take him off for Ryan in that last 20-30 minutes as Arsenal will tire and Ryan could take full advantage of that. Rafa is boss and we'll see what will happen but im tipping a 1-0 win here or 0-0.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #38: Apr 02, 2008 07:54:44 am
      Bottom line Crouchinho, Torres will require a second striker to take the attention off him. That is the way forward. Torres alone upfront will be counter productive if he gets the kind of mean attention he received from Man U. The bitters fans already said the best way to stop Torres is to kick him. And with the way Steve Bennett handled all the kicking of Torres, you can expect some defenders to be overzealous.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #39: Apr 02, 2008 07:58:45 am
      Bottom line Crouchinho, Torres will require a second striker to take the attention off him. That is the way forward. Torres alone upfront will be counter productive if he gets the kind of mean attention he received from Man U. The bitters fans already said the best way to stop Torres is to kick him. And with the way Steve Bennett handled all the kicking of Torres, you can expect some defenders to be overzealous.

An assute assumption and having thought about it one I happen to agree with. I think Crouch along side Torres will give the gooners something to think about. But having said that I think what a lot of peeps are forgetting that this is a European game with a European Ref not one from the premiership so Torres could be protected a lot more than if he were in the EPL.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #40: Apr 02, 2008 08:05:21 am
      An assute assumption and having thought about it one I happen to agree with. I think Crouch along side Torres will give the gooners something to think about. But having said that I think what a lot of peeps are forgetting that this is a European game with a European Ref not one from the premiership so Torres could be protected a lot more than if he were in the EPL.

Good point. But with the UEFA head coming out and declaring total support for Steve Bennett's red card; see clearly, in the man u match, this ref didn't use the same rule book for Man U like the one he threw at Us. I wouldn't leave any stone unturned IMO, I will try to protect Torres rather than leave it to some ref.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #41: Apr 02, 2008 08:38:58 am
      I am going for 2-1 we have a pretty good away record at the Arse, goals by Kuyt and Mascherano as they will be to busy trying to mark Torres and Gerrard. A lot of shouts for Crouch to play (me included), but I cant see Rafa changing his formation for the start of this one.

Going to enjoy today winding up the Gooner in the office.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #42: Apr 02, 2008 09:16:08 am
      I see pennant played for the reserves against Everton,was this to make sure he is match fit for one of the Arsenal games.For tonights game I am picking Rafa to go with the same side we used at the San Siro.Except Alonso in for Lucas, Reina,Skrtel,Carragher,Mascherano,Gerrard,Hypia,Aurelio,Babel,Torres,Kuyt. Whatever team RAFA puts out  I just want us to go all the way get Manure in the final and give them a hiding they deserve which is long overdue.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #43: Apr 02, 2008 09:32:27 am
      With pennant having played last night that rules him out for tonights game. i think the same lineup as the derby will be sent out with masch in for lucas and arbeloa in for hyypia.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #44: Apr 02, 2008 10:02:46 am
      With pennant having played last night that rules him out for tonights game. I think the same lineup as the derby will be sent out with masch in for lucas and arbeloa in for hyypia.

Agree... but always expect the unexpected with Rafa... I expect even more changes on Saturday...
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #45: Apr 02, 2008 11:36:57 am
      Agree... but always expect the unexpected with Rafa... I expect even more changes on Saturday...

True. I actually predict his team right most of the time bar a player or sometimes 2. I think he will drop hyypia due to his age and playing 2 games so close together and push carra back into the centre alongside Skrtel. And he seems to want to keep 1 of arbeloa and aurelio saved for one of the other 2 games against them so i think arbeloa will come in with riise having played well on sunday. If riise can have another performance like that or an even better one that would be fantastic for tonight.

Im hoping everyone performs well for us tonight and we can get a good result there. A convincing 2 or 3 goal win with a clean sheet would be phenominal but may be a big ask. This game will be huge and once again we have been written off by alot of people but that is to be expected now we have be written off in this competition so many times and shown everyone what we can do. Lets hope we can prove everyone that is doubting us wrong again tonight by beating Arsenal on their own turf.

Quick Reply