Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Best Rafa interview ever....probably!

Read 6586 times
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Best Rafa interview ever....probably!
      Mar 31, 2008 01:48:12 pm
      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article3648804.ece

Liverpool’s victory over the old enemy yesterday will ease the pressure on Rafael BenÍtez, for whom two Champions League final appearances in three season has not been enough to avoid harsh judgments after another failed title bid. Here he answers his critics.

Your way of working has always involved squad rotation. How and why do you take the decision to rotate a player? Are fewer rotations the way forward?

First, if you rotate a squad it means you believe in your players and trust in their ability to perform. You want everyone to feel they are working together to achieve our goals. If we win it is thanks to the efforts of everyone, however small their contribution. Look at Vladimir Smicer, who did not play a lot for us [in 2004-05] but scored one of the goals that allowed us to win the Champions League.

Every manager with a team in European competitions and with international players, with so many games to play, rotates his squad – call them changes, rotations, they all do it. Nowadays, in comparison to 20 years ago, we play 20 per cent more games in a season. Players run 15 per cent more than they used to and, even more importantly, they run 30 per cent faster.

Things have changed in terms of physical demands. The decision to rotate starts by watching my team train – that is a priority for me. I see which players have energy and what players need to rest. You look at a player, talk to your staff, to the doctors, try to analyse the situation and then you chat to the footballer, although he will almost always say that he is ready to play. So sometimes you have to read between the lines to gauge whether they are really fully fit and if they are more tired than they are letting on.

Do you feel that Alex Ferguson “changes the team” and you “rotate” or “tinker”?

When managers win matches, people talk about how they changed players; if they don’t win, then it becomes “rotation policies”. People make an evaluation of a team without knowing enough about the side. People would say, “Why don’t you just pick the same team?” but they haven’t given the wider issues enough thought.

Are you still involved in all the training sessions?

I’ve always gone to every training session and I will keep doing this. Maybe from time to time manager obligations force me to miss some parts of training, but it is very rare. It is a priority to be there whenever I can, especially when addressing tactical issues.

Why does your Liverpool side not yet look like your old Valencia side?

The team that I left at Valencia had had great success and were a strong unit. That side knew what they had to do and destroyed opponents. I think that this Liverpool team has had moments where they’ve played at a similar level, but logically everything takes time.

When I arrived at Valencia I found a squad that was already quite dangerous, solid and well put together by HĂ©ctor CĂșper. When we arrived at Liverpool we found a team that was low in confidence and hadn’t had a winning record. We had to rebuild. None of the players that left us are playing at a club that are of a higher standard than Liverpool.

What would your ideal Liverpool side be like - similar to your old Valencia team?

Some teams prefer the long game, others the short game. I think there’s always a middle path to take between the two. I like a team that always knows what to do in each moment, a team that knows when it’s time to maintain possession and play the short ball and by the same token a team that knows when it’s time to take a more direct approach.

What tactical differences are there between the Premier League and the Champions League? Do you think the less tactical nature of some Premier League games is the reason why your style of play is yet to triumph in the English league?

Evidently the Premier League is much more physical and in the Champions League, tactically speaking there are more options open to a manager. When you are talking about long balls and second balls, what you are looking at effectively is a 50-50 scenario. It can go one of two ways. Whoever wins that second ball will either continue attacking or be able to start a counter-attack.

What this means is that the Premier League is tactically speaking a more simple or straightforward competition. You can try to control two or three aspects of a game and that’s enough. In the Champions League the tactics become more complex because different styles of play are brought together when different teams from different countries meet.

Is the Premier League more straightforward in terms of tactics but more difficult in terms of control of the game?

Yes, we are talking about a very physical competition. When you put the ball in the opposition’s penalty area and you fight for it, a physical dimension takes over.

So what do Liverpool need to do to win the Premier League?

A balance between technical ability and physical strength. We’re a team with enough technical ability to play well and we have enough physical strength to compete, but what we need to do is bring these two elements together so that when key moments arise we are ready and able to compete.

Do you favour the Champions League over other competitions? Do your goals for this season change?

You start every season here with four objectives. As a manager, you have to be able to manage your resources to get the best out of your squad.

In terms of the Premier League we were close at certain points this season, but we drew s e v e r a l games and lost touch, whereas in the Champions League we continued to progress. What happens is that subconsciously your focus turns to the competition you have within your reach.

They say that the departure of Pako AyestarĂĄn [the former assistant manager] had a negative effect on the morale and performance of the team. Is that the way you see it? Can you tell us what happened?

Pako was much more than a physical trainer, he was my friend and someone I trusted for many years. I worked with him for 11 years. It’s a recent wound that still hurts.

Liverpool gave him autonomy and power and I think that changed him a lot – he wanted more and more. One day I found out that he had serious contacts with other teams and that seemed to me a betrayal towards me and the club that I couldn’t accept. He told me he wanted to leave the same day that we played against Toulouse, so I lost someone I trusted greatly, a key member of my staff at a crucial moment in the preseason.

Logically, this has an effect on a team. The people that arrived had to adapt and familiarise themselves with a new environment. This meant that a transitional period started at the club, but we still managed to win games and play well. Then, when we started to draw games, people questioned our work.

I believe that no one is irreplaceable and we have to keep moving forward. Paco de Miguel took over the role as physical trainer. Also, as a result, I have more of a presence around the team and try to have more involvement with the players.

Certain commentators say that if Fernando Torres had played more you could have been challenging for the Premier League title.

That has been one of the great lies of this season. There are a lot of people that talk without having thought things through about the number of games Torres has played and the impact that this has had on our performance in the league. Torres did not take part in the victorious games against Toulouse [4-0], Besiktas [8-0] and Havant & Waterlooville [5-2].

He didn’t make the bench in eight games; for six of these he was injured, which seems to be something that people forget. The other two games were in the FA Cup and Carling Cup, so the theory about our position in the league being down to Torres being missing doesn’t add up.

How much did he cost?

Whenever we talk about the deal for Torres with AtlĂ©tico Madrid we always include Luis GarcÍa in the price. The total cost of the operation is around ÂŁ20 million.

Has his success surprised you?

You always have confidence in a player that arrives with energy and desire and who has great quality. However, the truth is that he has been a fantastic success. He has already scored 28 goals and the level of play he brings to the side and his commitment to the team is hugely significant.

We formulated a plan when he arrived, focusing on trying to keep him up front close to the defenders because with the speed that he has, if you give him a good pass he’ll latch on to it. The problem is, with so many games we haven’t had bags of time to work on specifics. We’ve tried with the group to work on certain technical individual aspects as well as helping the players to learn how to execute at crucial moments.

In Fernando’s case this involves tuning up his finishing, for example. We try to find time to work as well on Steven Gerrard’s new role, which he is certainly enjoying.

Thirty-one goals out of 56 [in the league] this season have come from Torres and Gerrard. Is that a worry?

This shows that they are two players with great timing and quality – they are a great plus for us. But we have to get to a point where other players get on to the scoresheet, too, the likes of Dirk Kuyt, Peter Crouch and Ryan Babel, for instance.

In Britain the press do not focus on tactics so much. Do you feel, because of that, your work has been undervalued?

Not specifically. It’s true that the press in England talk a lot more about names. Here they talk about the name of the player and the performance of the individual over the collective performance. This is part of the football culture here and I accept it.

When I talk to the members of the press that come by here on a regular basis, I get the impression that they know what they’re talking about. I understand that analysis from a distance is harder.

People accuse you of not signing properly. And they mention Josemi, Antonio NĂșñez, Craig Bellamy and even Jermaine Pennant.

At a time when we didn’t have endless economic resources, I think that we made good signings in general. We should be talking about players like Reina, Agger, Mascherano, Xabi Alonso, Luis GarcÍa, Torres, Babel, Lucas Leiva, Skrtel and also Arbeloa, Sissoko, Fabio AurĂ©lio, Kuyt. These are players who have brought a lot to the team. And in certain cases – for example, Sissoko and Bellamy – the club gained financially.

We have signed 28 players in four years for the first team. Considering that the number of changes we had to make when I arrived and the fact that without much money we have to take more risks, I don’t think this is a disproportionate number.

Why does Crouch not play more regularly?

We’ve established a system with one main striker and one secondary striker that works quite well. Logically this makes it more complicated for him. We have a striker that has scored 28 goals, so the other players have to work around that. For instance, now if the secondary striker is Gerrard [who has scored 19 goals], logically there are less options for the other players.

You talk about differences in spending between Chelsea, Manchester United and yourselves. Arsenal are having success having spent less. What is the right path to follow for Liverpool?

I have a rough idea of the figures involved. Chelsea had spent ÂŁ120 million previously and an additional ÂŁ240 million to win the league in the 2004-05 season. Manchester United have spent ÂŁ200 million in recent years. This year on Carlos TĂ©vez, Owen Hargreaves, Anderson and Nani, that cost them more than ÂŁ70 million. Tottenham have spent ÂŁ100 million in the last two seasons alone. And Arsenal have spent more or less the same amount as we have on young players with potential.

In my four years at Liverpool we have spent £150 million and we have gained somewhere in the region of £70 million. Looking at those numbers, there’s a difference of £20 million per season, yet we have won four [trophies] and played seven finals. When all things are considered, that’s not a bad return. I think that we’re on the right path.

Now we can spend money on players if we can earn some by selling players. If we don’t have the £500 million Chelsea spent in recent years, we have to look to lay the foundations in the youth teams and reserve teams and build from there.

The players in the reserve team are 17, 18 years old, so they’ll need two, three years to reach the right level and the first team. We are close to making three signings, one for the first team.

Is it only money that is the difference with the other top three? Is it also a question of mentality?

I think that success breeds confidence and a positive mentality. We won the Champions League [in 2005] and that victory meant that we had the confidence to reach another final in that competition [in 2007]. In the Premier League we have not had the same success, so we are steadily building the same confidence.

How much longer would you like to stay at Liverpool?

I am very happy and would like to stay here for many more years.

What communication have you had with Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr?

I have had contact through e-mail with them and also Rick Parry [the chief executive] lets me know what the situation is.

Truly brilliant, open and frank interview... covering all the bases.

Guillem Balague has a very good relationship with Rafa, which is reflected in the quality of this superb piece of journalism.

I R W T
      « Last Edit: Mar 31, 2008 06:08:04 pm by JD »
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Best Rafa interview ever....probably!
      Reply #1: Mar 31, 2008 02:12:08 pm
      Brilliant interview. Rafa knows his job. IRWT
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2: Mar 31, 2008 02:30:55 pm
      Excellent, thanks for the link.
      Best bit (for me),

Q. Certain commentators say that if Fernando Torres had played more you could have been challenging for the Premier League title.

A. That has been one of the great lies of this season............
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #3: Mar 31, 2008 02:33:49 pm
      Really wicked interview, I read it this morning but didn't have time to put it on the site. It is great to hear Rafa talking so openly to the press. He doesn't sidestep any questions as he so often does (always with the greatest of tact!). He defends his positions truthfully and with skill, and isn't afraid to say that the talk of his rotation policy has been totally deformed and is often downright lies (in the case of Torres).

A confident Rafa, which we have seen for a couple of weeks now I feel: since he defended his position regarding Alex Ferguson's mind-games with the referee before the United match, defended Mascherano after his sending off, and hasn't been afraid to speak out about the transfer deals that are in the bag already. He feels sure of his position despite all the rumours, and this can only be good news for Liverpool FC. Gerrard spoke earlier in the year that the players were affected by the bad press surrounding the club, well I think that perhaps Rafa has responded to that and it is good to see our team in the headlines for good reasons rather than all the recent contoversy.

He seems sure he is going to stay, and it is encouraging to seem he preparing not only for the next season, but for many seasons to come! Trophy or not this year, Rafa is the way forward for our club, I believe that we are genuinely heading for a glorious future under his charge!
      PWJ505
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #4: Mar 31, 2008 02:38:01 pm
      this is a complete change from the rafa we are used to seeing in  interviews because he usually slides around the question and is very vague, here he directly answers the questions.
      IB
      • Prediction League Champion 2008/09
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts | 18 
      Reply #5: Mar 31, 2008 02:47:46 pm
      this is a complete change from the rafa we are used to seeing in  interviews because he usually slides around the question and is very vague, here he directly answers the questions.

specially the question about why he doesnt play crouch! usually he wud just say that its because of rotation and that he'll get his run at the end of season.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #6: Mar 31, 2008 02:57:18 pm
      Trophy or not this year, Rafa is the way forward for our club, I believe that we are genuinely heading for a glorious future under his charge!

Totally agree re future... but will certainly be better with Numero 6 in our trophy cabinet at the end of this season.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #7: Mar 31, 2008 02:59:43 pm

The difference here is that Rafa has COMPLETE trust in Guillem Balague... and knows his answers will not be manipulated before it goes to press.

As I have said before... Guillem is a top journo and true Red to boot, a truly great chap.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #8: Mar 31, 2008 03:43:47 pm
      Read it this morning. Not the best rafa interview i've seen but was an interesting read though.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #9: Mar 31, 2008 04:03:23 pm
      Read it this morning. Not the best rafa interview I've seen but was an interesting read though.

Can you point me towards a better interview. Seriously.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #10: Mar 31, 2008 04:46:23 pm
      Excellent interview, truly being positive on all fronts.   
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #11: Mar 31, 2008 05:14:48 pm
      Brilliant interview, he answers every question in great detail, which if it was an English journo then they would get just one line off him. Great Man!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #12: Mar 31, 2008 05:32:10 pm
      Great interview, and nice to see the real reason behind Pako AyestarĂĄn's departure.   ;)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #13: Mar 31, 2008 05:49:32 pm
      Great interview, and nice to see the real reason behind Pako AyestarĂĄn's departure.   ;)

Athletic Bilbao was the club in question.

Also seems to be saying that Pako was between him and the playing staff, almost to the point of it not helping Rafa bond with the playing staff... yep just re-read, that is deffo what he is saying...
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #14: Mar 31, 2008 05:52:27 pm
      Really wicked interview, I read it this morning but didn't have time to put it on the site. It is great to hear Rafa talking so openly to the press. He doesn't sidestep any questions as he so often does (always with the greatest of tact!). He defends his positions truthfully and with skill, and isn't afraid to say that the talk of his rotation policy has been totally deformed and is often downright lies (in the case of Torres).

A confident Rafa, which we have seen for a couple of weeks now I feel: since he defended his position regarding Alex Ferguson's mind-games with the referee before the United match, defended Mascherano after his sending off, and hasn't been afraid to speak out about the transfer deals that are in the bag already. He feels sure of his position despite all the rumours, and this can only be good news for Liverpool FC. Gerrard spoke earlier in the year that the players were affected by the bad press surrounding the club, well I think that perhaps Rafa has responded to that and it is good to see our team in the headlines for good reasons rather than all the recent contoversy.

He seems sure he is going to stay, and it is encouraging to seem he preparing not only for the next season, but for many seasons to come! Trophy or not this year, Rafa is the way forward for our club, I believe that we are genuinely heading for a glorious future under his charge!
      Well said ayrton77, just shows what a top man Rafa is,I believe now that he will stay with us for a long time and be very successful.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #15: Mar 31, 2008 06:09:37 pm
      Nice interview.

I still wonder 'who' the side Pako was signing contracts with was?

This 'gardening leave' business points to Chelsea or the Mancs even?  A lot of talk about Quieroz leaving at the end of the summer.

smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #16: Mar 31, 2008 06:09:53 pm
      Just makes me love him even more  ;) :D
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #17: Mar 31, 2008 06:33:01 pm
      Nice interview.

I still wonder 'who' the side Pako was signing contracts with was?

This 'gardening leave' business points to Chelsea or the Mancs even?  A lot of talk about Quieroz leaving at the end of the summer.

Athletic Bilbao.

Maureen also met with Pako soon after about the possibility of joining Chelsea...
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #18: Mar 31, 2008 06:40:33 pm
      Can you point me towards a better interview. Seriously.

Does it seriously matter. The only part that i really found of great interest was the whole pako thing, everything else was just things i've read that were asked in other interviews before being asked again. Its a good interview but i've read it all before other than the information about pakos departure. I disliked the answer for why crouch doesnt play regularly i think that was extremely unfair on him i'd be hurt being him and reading that part.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #19: Mar 31, 2008 10:12:00 pm
      He has answered a few tricky questions very well. It was a great interview, he was saying exactly what he was thinking and he was very honest and all the questions were answered very well.

I believe he is the man to win us the Premiership and even more Champions league trophies as well as other ones. I hope he stays for as long as he can.

IRWT
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #20: Mar 31, 2008 10:30:54 pm

Well, if you had an interview you found better than this one I think we would be some people on here interested in reading it.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #21: Mar 31, 2008 10:44:24 pm
      Well, if you had an interview you found better than this one I think we would be some people on here interested in reading it.

That's a good point, I think more than some people on here would like to read it. Although to give lil cisse his due, he was probably originally questioning the title of the topic rather than dismissing it as a poor interview.

I enjoyed reading it very much. Very relaxed and open. A refreshing change from the usual media tweaked drivel. It's up on the official site now as well.

Anyone think it's fair to say when Rafa was asked about Valencia and making Liverpool as effective as they were, that he thinks he inherited a sh*t set up when he took over here?
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #22: Mar 31, 2008 11:29:14 pm
      Very good interview. Just shows what good journalism is..

And kenny, I don't think thats what Rafa means. I think he means yes, there were sh*t players (er, le Tallec, Cheyrou, Diao, Biscan... All title winning players huh? :D) but there was also a distinct lack of recent success. Exclude the one season where we won the mickey mouse treble, and you have a team that haven't been consistently succesful and have not experienced success on the highest level (Prem & CL) for too many years. I think he's comparing the LFC setup then to the one he left at Valencia, and its fair to say Valencia had been far more succesful over the past 5 or so years compared to Liverpool.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #23: Mar 31, 2008 11:43:53 pm
      An excellent interview, the most open and honest I've ever read from Benitez! Ballague is a cracking journo and he's always got good things to say, and an answer for the common biases people have about us and Benitez! :)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #24: Mar 31, 2008 11:55:23 pm

And kenny, I don't think thats what Rafa means. I think he means yes, there were sh*t players (er, le Tallec, Cheyrou, Diao, Biscan... All title winning players huh? :D) but there was also a distinct lack of recent success. Exclude the one season where we won the mickey mouse treble, and you have a team that haven't been consistently succesful and have not experienced success on the highest level (Prem & CL) for too many years. I think he's comparing the LFC setup then to the one he left at Valencia, and its fair to say Valencia had been far more succesful over the past 5 or so years compared to Liverpool.

So he inherited a sh*t set up then basically. No? Lack of recent success and lack of title winning players from youth level upwards.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #25: Apr 01, 2008 04:22:29 am
      excellent read that! RAFA YOU ARE KING MATE!

Im printing this out to give to all me mates that think they know more about liverpool and benitez than the man himself :D

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,775 posts | 6724 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #26: Apr 01, 2008 06:01:14 am
      top read that, thanks for link Don. I'm with you Smiggs, nice to finally hear about what happened with Pako, straight from the horses mouth.

By the way Don, I don't think I read anything about that dinner you were having with Guilleme Ballague...how did that go?
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #27: Apr 01, 2008 06:29:58 am

I've already said it is all the same stuff bar the pako thing. And its wasnt an interview i read on the internet, thats not the only place to see/hear/read them. Not always easy to track down an interview and it would be pointless to mention that before because i know what the reply would have been and it would have been a reply in praise of guillem balague and claiming i probably haven't read a better interview.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #28: Apr 01, 2008 06:51:34 am
      I disliked the answer for why crouch doesnt play regularly I think that was extremely unfair on him I'd be hurt being him and reading that part.

Rafa would have sat down with him no doubt, Crouchie would have had atleast a few questions to ask and probably why he is stalling a new contract. Now can you blame Rafa for not playing him? Honestly, at first people were asking for Torres to play and now he is they want Crouch to play. One question, where the F**k do you expect Crouchie to play in our formation?

Top, top interview. Loved it.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #29: Apr 01, 2008 07:06:36 am
      Rafa would have sat down with him no doubt, Crouchie would have had atleast a few questions to ask and probably why he is stalling a new contract. Now can you blame Rafa for not playing him? Honestly, at first people were asking for Torres to play and now he is they want Crouch to play. One question, where the F**k do you expect Crouchie to play in our formation?

Top, top interview. Loved it.

Im not just talking about this formation. That does suggest we have used this formation all season or even for the majority when we havent. I know crouch has probably spoken to him thats clear but i think he should have atleast explained why even when we were playing a 4-4-2 for most of the season crouch was never getting a chance even if its just so the fans know why. I dont expect him to start in our new formation but i did alot in the 4-4-2. This is why i am convinced he's already gone he has an extremely tough decision, its either stay and be a  benchwarmer or go to a smaller team and be a first teamer. I think you can blame rafa for not playing him he had no problem playing voronin and kuyt upfront in 4-4-2 so why not crouch? something must have gone on its not as simple as ahh its a new formation he doesnt fit in because even when we werent using this formation he wasnt getting played.

I was never asking for torres to be played as it wasnt hard to see that he would be. No need to start swearing ;D
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #30: Apr 01, 2008 09:55:41 am
      'We are close to signing 3 players 1 for the first team', who,?.We'll soon find out this summer.

Great interview open and to the point,well done Guillem....
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #31: Apr 01, 2008 10:03:46 am
      top read that, thanks for link Don. I'm with you Smiggs, nice to finally hear about what happened with Pako, straight from the horses mouth.

By the way Don, I don't think I read anything about that dinner you were having with Guilleme Ballague...how did that go?

Great time was had by all into the early hours, most of what was discussed will stay off the boards I'm afraid in total respect to Guillem, hence not mentioning it since... also most would feel it's total BS from me anyway, so who cares eh...

Our group picture in the restaurant appeared on last weeks Revista de La Liga show (in the Support Spain section, with us all, including Guillem, holding a Spanish Flag).... MsGerrard saw it, I actually caught it on holiday on the coast with my lad in a bar... very funny!

Guillem is a top journo, a top bloke and a true red, head to toe.

IRWT
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #32: Apr 01, 2008 10:16:02 am
      I think it is a good interview and gives a better understanding of Rafa's managing style.

One thing is certain from the interview and that is Peter Crouch will continue to play a bit part in Liverpool's Premiership and Champions League challenges.

If I was him I would be on my way in the summer to a team that will use his undoubted ability to the full and enhance his international opportunities.

Shame really.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #33: Apr 01, 2008 10:19:30 am
      I think it is a good interview and gives a better understanding of Rafa's managing style.

One thing is certain from the interview and that is Peter Crouch will continue to play a bit part in Liverpool's Premiership and Champions League challenges.

If I was him I would be on my way in the summer to a team that will use his undoubted ability to the full and enhance his international opportunities.

Shame really.

I've had that feeling for some time Oldred, particularly leading up to the Jan window... Rafa MUST have a buyer very interested (at a decent price/profit on what Rafa bought him for) for Crouch... and Rafa MUST have another top quality forward lined-up for next season.  Otherwise it will all be too much for Peter's pride and confidence levels, surely...

IRWT
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #34: Apr 01, 2008 10:46:25 am
      I wasnt aiming it at you lil cisse that question. Just a general question, no personal attack mate you post some great stuff ;)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,775 posts | 6724 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #35: Apr 01, 2008 10:54:57 am
      Great time was had by all into the early hours, most of what was discussed will stay off the boards I'm afraid in total respect to Guillem, hence not mentioning it since... also most would feel it's total BS from me anyway, so who cares eh...

Cheers Don, to be a fly on that wall would have been pretty interesting.

Can't even give us a few little snippets, mate?

Who would think it's bullshit mate? Richobaz, perhaps..I think the rest of us would love to hear some of the tales....but when you're good and ready.......(quick someone get a bottle of Sangria) :drink: :dunceblock:
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #36: Apr 01, 2008 11:31:06 am
      I wasnt aiming it at you lil cisse that question. Just a general question, no personal attack mate you post some great stuff ;)

Ok thats understandable. You too mate, i just feel extremely sorry for crouch, i feel he did alot for us last season and he mst be hurt this season he has moved clubs alot and finally found a place he felt he would stay for a while then it must feel like he isnt wanted all over again.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #37: Apr 01, 2008 01:20:20 pm
      A cracking interview good to clear up what happened with Pako.

Little Cisse I too feel sorry for Crouchy i wish him all the success should he leave in the summer and only hope that his replacement is at least as good as he is.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #38: Apr 01, 2008 04:53:13 pm
      A cracking interview good to clear up what happened with Pako.

Little Cisse I too feel sorry for Crouchy I wish him all the success should he leave in the summer and only hope that his replacement is at least as good as he is.

Me too he is still here atleast and he has apparently said he will wait until the end of the season to decide what he does. Now that i have thought about it there is a small chance he could stay but i think it depends on how willing he is to be more bit part than one of the first names on the teamsheet.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #39: Apr 01, 2008 05:16:48 pm
      Lads, Crouchie has not signed a new contract, to assure that he hasn’t any intentions of a bosman.  He only has one season left I mean he could have at least extended his contract by a year or two.  After all, Benitez gave him his real big opportunity and to be quite frank his only opportunity at the very highest level.  None of the top four will purchase him and wouldn’t have we were laughed at when we signed him.  In the long run if he wants to play at the very highest level of the game then he is going to have limited appearances and if Benitez is making that clear, I don’t see any harm.  There is no point going down the Sissoko road.

I agree that for even my liking he has been under used.  But then Benitez has had a lot of unfair pressure this season, and obviously trying to accelerate the sketch for the future may involve being a little stronger towards those that are not sure of staying or wanting to jump the boat.  Especially, when there are reasonable substitutes.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #40: Apr 01, 2008 05:26:18 pm
      I think Man city or portsmouth is his next destination if he leaves. I actually think Pompey will be a real force next season if he goes there, he could form a great partnership with defoe and with players like kranjcar playing in the same team provided good passes i think he could do very well.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #41: Apr 02, 2008 03:05:32 am
      Yes I can also see him in a team like Portsmouth Man City maybe even Villa again. Kranjcar will go to Arsenal at the end of the season it is almost a done deal.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #42: Apr 02, 2008 03:39:09 am
      I like Kranjcar, i think he is an amazing player who doesnt get the limlight he deserves but hopefully for his sake and not ours he can prove his worth at the Arse.

As for Crouchy, i think he could go Man City, they just arent going away in the media,i know i hate the media too but where is smoke there is fire as with the DIC. He will be their best striker their because Benjani is just a form player and no where near the class of Peter.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #43: Apr 02, 2008 09:19:50 am
      Yes I can also see him in a team like Portsmouth Man City maybe even Villa again. Kranjcar will go to Arsenal at the end of the season it is almost a done deal.

Havent even heard that rumour. Cant even see him at arsenal to be honest but if its true good luck to him.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #44: Apr 02, 2008 11:39:50 pm
      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article3648804.ece

Truly brilliant, open and frank interview... covering all the bases.

Guillem Balague has a very good relationship with Rafa, which is reflected in the quality of this superb piece of journalism.

I R W T

brilliant interview. Intelligent and honest.

We are indeed very privileged to have a man like Benitez.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #45: Apr 03, 2008 04:15:26 pm

brilliant interview. Intelligent and honest.

We are indeed very privileged to have a man like Benitez.

...as you would expect I totally agree.

For a club with just over half the amount of fans at home coming through the turnstiles (and revenue) compared to Manure or Arse... and with club ownership struggles/battles all season long... Rafa isn't doing too bad a job, at all...

IRWT
      « Last Edit: Apr 03, 2008 06:41:48 pm by donrafael »
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #46: Apr 03, 2008 07:09:35 pm
      Got to be the best manager when it comes to interviews. Knows who and who not to tell things and always honest no matter what.

They always try and get things out of him and he just shows them that he is in control and always gives intellegent answer.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #47: Apr 03, 2008 07:23:28 pm
      They always try and get things out of him and he just shows them that he is in control and always gives intellegent answer.

Sooooo unlike Maureen in that regard... who would be soooo unlike LFC... but the exact reason why some in the media are hell bent on Rafa exiting the Prem league and Maureen to somehow attached himself to the Prem again... gave the endless amounts of reasons/qoutes for headlines and cheap/lazy/sensasionalist journalism.

Rafa trusts a few guys in the press... but very few... even gives live radio interviews to the press here, but still very rare... because at heart I understand that Rafael is actually a very shy man.

IRWT
      « Last Edit: Apr 03, 2008 07:26:17 pm by donrafael »
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #48: Apr 03, 2008 07:32:36 pm
      Best type of manager to have in all honesty. Doesnt cause unecessary controversy etc. Or put refs under pressure to cheat to win. Honest man who deserves alot more respect and alot less criticism than he gets.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #49: Apr 03, 2008 07:37:32 pm
      Best type of manager to have in all honesty. Doesnt cause unecessary controversy etc. Or put refs under pressure to cheat to win. Honest man who deserves alot more respect and alot less criticism than he gets.

Still has a MASSIVE pair of cojones on him, as he proves from time to time... as he "concentrates on coaching and trainning"... top man.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #50: Apr 03, 2008 07:41:50 pm
      True. I actually have alot of dislike for Pako after his betrayal now im glad rafa revealed it, he chose the right time to aswell and summed up just how much papers assume and give someone even more a bad image that they do not deserve after they portrayed the situation as rafa forced pako out of the club.

He has been betrayed by his best friend, the owners and even a few fans here and there this season and is still holding his head high.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #51: Apr 03, 2008 07:44:04 pm
      True. I actually have alot of dislike for Pako after his betrayal now im glad rafa revealed it, he chose the right time to aswell and summed up just how much papers assume and give someone even more a bad image that they do not deserve after they portrayed the situation as rafa forced pako out of the club.

He has been betrayed by his best friend, the owners and even a few fans here and there this season and is still holding his head high.

...maybe add a very tall player on the playing staff to that list...
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #52: Apr 03, 2008 09:28:40 pm
      Crouch hasnt done anything wrong though really, i dont think he would have spoke to other clubs he isnt the type atall
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #53: Apr 03, 2008 10:00:35 pm
      Crouch hasnt done anything wrong though really, I dont think he would have spoke to other clubs he isnt the type atall

Controversial. How do you know he isn't the type?  ;D

Seriously though, I think it's unfair Crouch getting hardly any time at all over the last few months. I believe he certainly offers a different and effective angle to our attack. And I think he would have bagged a good few goals if he'd been playing regularly alongside Torres.

The system that's been in place over the last eight or so games obviously doesn't cater for the way he plays, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have had a bit more action when coming on as a sub, when we've been in control and had games won. But, the important thing is, it's what came before the formation of late and he still wasn't really getting a look in.

All I can reflect on is that Rafa must have his reasons and we're not doing too bad without him lately. Still think he has something to offer the team though.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #54: Apr 03, 2008 10:39:29 pm
      Obviously i dont know 100% he wouldnt have but can anyone on here seriously see him of all people doing that kind of thing. He just wants some recognition that is all he is looking for, not asking for a big paycheck or his name all over the papers being praised just some recognition that he is a great player and can succeed at the top level.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #55: Apr 04, 2008 08:55:44 am
      Obviously I dont know 100% he wouldnt have but can anyone on here seriously see him of all people doing that kind of thing. He just wants some recognition that is all he is looking for, not asking for a big paycheck or his name all over the papers being praised just some recognition that he is a great player and can succeed at the top level.

Hence why he could talk to other teams. He wants game time and Rafa cant guarantee it to him right now so it may be time to move on. As much as i love the guy (as my name may suggest) he wont get a look in ever if we keep playing with this system. For the teams sake and the club's he should move on as all he could do is create unrest amongst those who also arent playing like JP or Yossi or maybe even Finn.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #56: Apr 04, 2008 11:27:09 am
      I think he should move on aswell for the sake of his own career but i seriously dont think he would speak to other clubs unless he was given permission to.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #57: Apr 04, 2008 11:42:16 am
      Im sure Rafa gave him permission to after he stalled.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #58: Apr 04, 2008 12:16:31 pm
      Truly fantastic interview!  As others have mentioned ,it is nice to see the Pako departure finally dealt with.
      He just comes over as the most focused manager we could possibly have to lead us, and he oozes integrity.
      A couple of questions though:-
      Where does this interview leave Crouch?
      All you Rafa detractors out there, who would you honestly repace him with?
      What could this man achieve with us with the correct backing?

Last but not least, thanks and well done to Guilleme Ballague, I wonder if this interview was conducted in Spanish and translated?
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #59: Apr 04, 2008 04:29:16 pm
      Last but not least, thanks and well done to Guilleme Ballague, I wonder if this interview was conducted in Spanish and translated?

Spanish.

Quick Reply