Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Best Rafa interview ever....probably!

Read 6588 times
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Re: Best Rafa interview ever....probably!
      Reply #23: Mar 31, 2008 11:43:53 pm
      An excellent interview, the most open and honest I've ever read from Benitez! Ballague is a cracking journo and he's always got good things to say, and an answer for the common biases people have about us and Benitez! :)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #24: Mar 31, 2008 11:55:23 pm

And kenny, I don't think thats what Rafa means. I think he means yes, there were sh*t players (er, le Tallec, Cheyrou, Diao, Biscan... All title winning players huh? :D) but there was also a distinct lack of recent success. Exclude the one season where we won the mickey mouse treble, and you have a team that haven't been consistently succesful and have not experienced success on the highest level (Prem & CL) for too many years. I think he's comparing the LFC setup then to the one he left at Valencia, and its fair to say Valencia had been far more succesful over the past 5 or so years compared to Liverpool.

So he inherited a sh*t set up then basically. No? Lack of recent success and lack of title winning players from youth level upwards.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #25: Apr 01, 2008 04:22:29 am
      excellent read that! RAFA YOU ARE KING MATE!

Im printing this out to give to all me mates that think they know more about liverpool and benitez than the man himself :D

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,778 posts | 6725 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #26: Apr 01, 2008 06:01:14 am
      top read that, thanks for link Don. I'm with you Smiggs, nice to finally hear about what happened with Pako, straight from the horses mouth.

By the way Don, I don't think I read anything about that dinner you were having with Guilleme Ballague...how did that go?
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #27: Apr 01, 2008 06:29:58 am
      Well, if you had an interview you found better than this one I think we would be some people on here interested in reading it.

I've already said it is all the same stuff bar the pako thing. And its wasnt an interview i read on the internet, thats not the only place to see/hear/read them. Not always easy to track down an interview and it would be pointless to mention that before because i know what the reply would have been and it would have been a reply in praise of guillem balague and claiming i probably haven't read a better interview.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #28: Apr 01, 2008 06:51:34 am
      I disliked the answer for why crouch doesnt play regularly I think that was extremely unfair on him I'd be hurt being him and reading that part.

Rafa would have sat down with him no doubt, Crouchie would have had atleast a few questions to ask and probably why he is stalling a new contract. Now can you blame Rafa for not playing him? Honestly, at first people were asking for Torres to play and now he is they want Crouch to play. One question, where the F**k do you expect Crouchie to play in our formation?

Top, top interview. Loved it.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #29: Apr 01, 2008 07:06:36 am
      Rafa would have sat down with him no doubt, Crouchie would have had atleast a few questions to ask and probably why he is stalling a new contract. Now can you blame Rafa for not playing him? Honestly, at first people were asking for Torres to play and now he is they want Crouch to play. One question, where the F**k do you expect Crouchie to play in our formation?

Top, top interview. Loved it.

Im not just talking about this formation. That does suggest we have used this formation all season or even for the majority when we havent. I know crouch has probably spoken to him thats clear but i think he should have atleast explained why even when we were playing a 4-4-2 for most of the season crouch was never getting a chance even if its just so the fans know why. I dont expect him to start in our new formation but i did alot in the 4-4-2. This is why i am convinced he's already gone he has an extremely tough decision, its either stay and be a  benchwarmer or go to a smaller team and be a first teamer. I think you can blame rafa for not playing him he had no problem playing voronin and kuyt upfront in 4-4-2 so why not crouch? something must have gone on its not as simple as ahh its a new formation he doesnt fit in because even when we werent using this formation he wasnt getting played.

I was never asking for torres to be played as it wasnt hard to see that he would be. No need to start swearing ;D
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #30: Apr 01, 2008 09:55:41 am
      'We are close to signing 3 players 1 for the first team', who,?.We'll soon find out this summer.

Great interview open and to the point,well done Guillem....
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #31: Apr 01, 2008 10:03:46 am
      top read that, thanks for link Don. I'm with you Smiggs, nice to finally hear about what happened with Pako, straight from the horses mouth.

By the way Don, I don't think I read anything about that dinner you were having with Guilleme Ballague...how did that go?

Great time was had by all into the early hours, most of what was discussed will stay off the boards I'm afraid in total respect to Guillem, hence not mentioning it since... also most would feel it's total BS from me anyway, so who cares eh...

Our group picture in the restaurant appeared on last weeks Revista de La Liga show (in the Support Spain section, with us all, including Guillem, holding a Spanish Flag).... MsGerrard saw it, I actually caught it on holiday on the coast with my lad in a bar... very funny!

Guillem is a top journo, a top bloke and a true red, head to toe.

IRWT
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #32: Apr 01, 2008 10:16:02 am
      I think it is a good interview and gives a better understanding of Rafa's managing style.

One thing is certain from the interview and that is Peter Crouch will continue to play a bit part in Liverpool's Premiership and Champions League challenges.

If I was him I would be on my way in the summer to a team that will use his undoubted ability to the full and enhance his international opportunities.

Shame really.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #33: Apr 01, 2008 10:19:30 am
      I think it is a good interview and gives a better understanding of Rafa's managing style.

One thing is certain from the interview and that is Peter Crouch will continue to play a bit part in Liverpool's Premiership and Champions League challenges.

If I was him I would be on my way in the summer to a team that will use his undoubted ability to the full and enhance his international opportunities.

Shame really.

I've had that feeling for some time Oldred, particularly leading up to the Jan window... Rafa MUST have a buyer very interested (at a decent price/profit on what Rafa bought him for) for Crouch... and Rafa MUST have another top quality forward lined-up for next season.  Otherwise it will all be too much for Peter's pride and confidence levels, surely...

IRWT
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #34: Apr 01, 2008 10:46:25 am
      I wasnt aiming it at you lil cisse that question. Just a general question, no personal attack mate you post some great stuff ;)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,778 posts | 6725 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #35: Apr 01, 2008 10:54:57 am
      Great time was had by all into the early hours, most of what was discussed will stay off the boards I'm afraid in total respect to Guillem, hence not mentioning it since... also most would feel it's total BS from me anyway, so who cares eh...

Cheers Don, to be a fly on that wall would have been pretty interesting.

Can't even give us a few little snippets, mate?

Who would think it's bullshit mate? Richobaz, perhaps..I think the rest of us would love to hear some of the tales....but when you're good and ready.......(quick someone get a bottle of Sangria) :drink: :dunceblock:
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #36: Apr 01, 2008 11:31:06 am
      I wasnt aiming it at you lil cisse that question. Just a general question, no personal attack mate you post some great stuff ;)

Ok thats understandable. You too mate, i just feel extremely sorry for crouch, i feel he did alot for us last season and he mst be hurt this season he has moved clubs alot and finally found a place he felt he would stay for a while then it must feel like he isnt wanted all over again.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #37: Apr 01, 2008 01:20:20 pm
      A cracking interview good to clear up what happened with Pako.

Little Cisse I too feel sorry for Crouchy i wish him all the success should he leave in the summer and only hope that his replacement is at least as good as he is.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #38: Apr 01, 2008 04:53:13 pm
      A cracking interview good to clear up what happened with Pako.

Little Cisse I too feel sorry for Crouchy I wish him all the success should he leave in the summer and only hope that his replacement is at least as good as he is.

Me too he is still here atleast and he has apparently said he will wait until the end of the season to decide what he does. Now that i have thought about it there is a small chance he could stay but i think it depends on how willing he is to be more bit part than one of the first names on the teamsheet.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #39: Apr 01, 2008 05:16:48 pm
      Lads, Crouchie has not signed a new contract, to assure that he hasn’t any intentions of a bosman.  He only has one season left I mean he could have at least extended his contract by a year or two.  After all, Benitez gave him his real big opportunity and to be quite frank his only opportunity at the very highest level.  None of the top four will purchase him and wouldn’t have we were laughed at when we signed him.  In the long run if he wants to play at the very highest level of the game then he is going to have limited appearances and if Benitez is making that clear, I don’t see any harm.  There is no point going down the Sissoko road.

I agree that for even my liking he has been under used.  But then Benitez has had a lot of unfair pressure this season, and obviously trying to accelerate the sketch for the future may involve being a little stronger towards those that are not sure of staying or wanting to jump the boat.  Especially, when there are reasonable substitutes.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #40: Apr 01, 2008 05:26:18 pm
      I think Man city or portsmouth is his next destination if he leaves. I actually think Pompey will be a real force next season if he goes there, he could form a great partnership with defoe and with players like kranjcar playing in the same team provided good passes i think he could do very well.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #41: Apr 02, 2008 03:05:32 am
      Yes I can also see him in a team like Portsmouth Man City maybe even Villa again. Kranjcar will go to Arsenal at the end of the season it is almost a done deal.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #42: Apr 02, 2008 03:39:09 am
      I like Kranjcar, i think he is an amazing player who doesnt get the limlight he deserves but hopefully for his sake and not ours he can prove his worth at the Arse.

As for Crouchy, i think he could go Man City, they just arent going away in the media,i know i hate the media too but where is smoke there is fire as with the DIC. He will be their best striker their because Benjani is just a form player and no where near the class of Peter.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #43: Apr 02, 2008 09:19:50 am
      Yes I can also see him in a team like Portsmouth Man City maybe even Villa again. Kranjcar will go to Arsenal at the end of the season it is almost a done deal.

Havent even heard that rumour. Cant even see him at arsenal to be honest but if its true good luck to him.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #44: Apr 02, 2008 11:39:50 pm
      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article3648804.ece

Truly brilliant, open and frank interview... covering all the bases.

Guillem Balague has a very good relationship with Rafa, which is reflected in the quality of this superb piece of journalism.

I R W T

brilliant interview. Intelligent and honest.

We are indeed very privileged to have a man like Benitez.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #45: Apr 03, 2008 04:15:26 pm

brilliant interview. Intelligent and honest.

We are indeed very privileged to have a man like Benitez.

...as you would expect I totally agree.

For a club with just over half the amount of fans at home coming through the turnstiles (and revenue) compared to Manure or Arse... and with club ownership struggles/battles all season long... Rafa isn't doing too bad a job, at all...

IRWT
      « Last Edit: Apr 03, 2008 06:41:48 pm by donrafael »

Quick Reply