Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

The Official Paul Tomkins Thread

Read 67122 times
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Re: Alan Hansen, i wish you would check your facts.
      Reply #437: Jun 05, 2010 09:39:08 pm
      PT for me summed it up perfectly when he says as a journalist Hanson is lazy, how Hanson has the gall to say what Rafa has left in players are not as good as when he arrived, this is the guy who said we were going to win the league as Lineker keeps pointing out on MOTD so someone please tell me how can Hanson go from then to now in a season, I believe Hanson and other ex-players are maneuvering Kenny into a position in which he will take over team affairs, foolish and risky for Dalgliesh if it goes wrong his reputation as one of our best managers could take a big dive, he'd be better off working with the kids. I know a lot of supporters want Kenny back but lets be honest the only success he had outside of LFC was Blackburn where he was backed by Jack Walkers millions and thats something he will never have from H&G, the rest of the clubs he worked with none were a success. Look at what he is facing if he takes this job no funding and as yet we do not know what players are staying or going, not very pretty is it, so stay where you are KK and just do a job behind the scenes.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Re: Alan Hansen, i wish you would check your facts.
      Reply #438: Jun 05, 2010 09:59:12 pm
      I was astounded to read in the Daily Telegraph sports section yesterday how he thought the side was worse than the one under Houllier. Sure, they performed shockingly this season but we all know that on their days, the players in Rafa's squad were more than good enough.

But no offence - I read that article and I bemoan the quality of players Rafa let go. I would play Crouch, Cisse and Baros over N'Gog any day. The fact N'Gog was in effect the only reserve striker for last year was pathetic and really pissed me off. He hardly ever played Kuyt in his better position up front last season. And of course - letting go of Stephen Warnock - not good. Really not good. The fact is Rafa has brought in some magnificent world class players, but in return has allowed good players of a lower standard to leave and for mediocre reserve team players to take the place. You construct a squad of what could have been and history may have been different.

I agree with what you say about the players that left but every one of them as we know now can be put down as leaving for reasons of their own but the biggest reason has to be these owners how can Chelsea and MU hang on to two teams believe me it is not for love of the club that they can keep these players happy sitting out a lot of games but more on the players for their love for money and both teams make sure they pay them well, do you think the players you mentioned would have left if they were being paid more, the answer is no as can be seen by the other clubs players who will sit around getting games here and there. That is the real reasoin why we lost those players and not because they did not like Rafa. Stephen Warnock was one that Rafa maybe got wrong, it's still eary days for Warnock and this WC should show hoiw good he is.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Alan Hansen, I wish you would check your facts.
      Reply #439: Jun 05, 2010 10:05:56 pm
      The some of the players played this season, you could forgive Hansen for thinking that.The current side is better in my opinion, but there were some great players in Houllier's team.
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #440: Jun 05, 2010 10:33:49 pm
      A big re-writing of history by Mr Hansen. As bad as we have performed this season, The current side still finished with 3 points more than the 2003-04 season. He has not taken into consideration the improvement of sides like big spending Man City, Spurs and Villla when judging the league table. As Brian Reade points out in todays excellent Daily Mirror Article, Yes the football played this season largely stank. But to say that the current team is worse than the one that put in a wretched performance like the 1-2 defeat by Southampton in December 2003, is being selective with his facts
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #441: Jun 05, 2010 10:42:47 pm
      To add to the above point, i remember the game at St James Park in December 03, when if it wasnt for Kirkland in goal -who was world class that day- we would have been beaten by about 6-1 that afternoon.
      The team that afternoon was   
                            Kirkland
                  Riise Biscan Hyypia Otsemobor
                Heskey Murphy Hamann Gerrard Diouff
                     Sinama-Pongolle

Even allowing for the fact that Owen, Carragher and Finnan were injured that is an awful starting 11 by anyone's standards
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #442: Jun 05, 2010 10:43:53 pm

Ok then, type up a well thought out article that refutes what Tomkins said. Go on.

Exactly... Nows not the time for me to hear dumb comments from these media sheep.. I'm still pissed off and in shock...
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #443: Jun 05, 2010 11:03:53 pm
      So you look at the sides then

Dudek or Reina, no brainer \Reina world class.

Hypia or Agger or Skrtel sorry Hypia every time

Carra that's a given

Risse or Aurelio/Insua Risse every time

Finnan or Johnson Finnan in his prime for me but hard to call johnson better going forward but as a defender Finnan hands down.

Murphy or Lucas Do i need to ask

Masch or Hammann the Kaiser every single time for his assists goals and taking a peno with a broken foot.

Gerrard anothe one of Geds

Kewel or Reira debateable cant call it.

Owen or Ngog oh come on please

Torres or Cisse/Barros Torres hands down.

So apart from Torres i think Hansen was right don't need to put spin on it that's is the eleven Hansen was on about nothing more nothing less now argue that the preswent team would win.   
      MrKite
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 475 posts | -2 
      Reply #444: Jun 05, 2010 11:42:49 pm
      I don't think Benitez showed the faith in young local talent as much as he did. Yes you can say the academy isn't up to standards but I'm still sure there was a few players who could have developed in the first team which he let go.

Hansen isn't always right and is so often completely wrong and while there are some errors in his article I can't oppose it that much. He's opinionated and is a good pundit for that reason. Oh and he's a legend.

p.s - Benitez could have had the chance to bring Michael Owen back to Liverpool and he publicly stated his desire to return knowing he had made a mistake in 2004 (and I'm not going to criticise Owen at all as he was and still is one of my favourite players). But Benitez didn't and we were stuck with an embarassing image of seeing David N'Gog leading the front line when Torres was injured. It was ridiculous!
      « Last Edit: Jun 05, 2010 11:49:56 pm by PeteD »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #445: Jun 05, 2010 11:52:49 pm
      Makes me laugh when ex players come out and have ago,could be down to the fact they probabley still want to hold onto the free perks the club give them.
      sqirg
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 160 posts |
      Reply #446: Jun 05, 2010 11:56:02 pm
      amazing
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: The Official Paul Tomkins Thread
      Reply #447: Jun 06, 2010 01:12:25 am
      Yet another nail on the head article by Tomkins, quality read.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #448: Jun 06, 2010 01:16:45 am
      Tomkins . . . Showing other members of the media how to put together articles based on research and facts.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #449: Jun 06, 2010 02:05:50 am
      Tomkins . . . Showing other members of the media how to put together articles based on research and facts.

Something he may of picked up from rafa,no!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #450: Jun 06, 2010 02:37:56 am
      Turn off your caps lock blood
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #451: Jun 06, 2010 02:41:40 am
      soz bud i'm pissed ;D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #452: Jun 06, 2010 02:45:24 am
      tOMKINS ALTHOUGH HE SHOWS A BIAS TOWARD rAFA UNDERSTANBLY IN MY OPINION AS HE'S AWARE OF THE CAN OF WORMS SACKKING rAFA WILL BRING IS AN EXCELLENT jOURNALIST

Thats the thing though,no matter who you are as a jounrlaist - you hav bias. Professionaly, you are not meant to, but you always do. Its just human nature. And Paul makes his stories so well that its hard to fault them, cos he always back them up. Does a much better job of journalism than most higher traind ones do
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #453: Jun 06, 2010 03:43:45 pm
      Good post that from Tomkins.

Quite a number of times I have read Alan Hansen's articles and been scratching my head wondering where he spends Sunday to Friday every week.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #454: Jun 06, 2010 04:06:09 pm
      Good post that from Tomkins.

Quite a number of times I have read Alan Hansen's articles and been scratching my head wondering where he spends Sunday to Friday every week.

Propping up a bar more than likely. :D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #455: Jun 06, 2010 04:28:45 pm
      A riveting article and gentle kick up the arse for Alan Hansen who appears to be treading the same traitorous route as a certain Mark Lawrenson who will prostitute his reputation to make the appropiate media noises and not bite the hand that rewards him for doing so.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #456: Jun 06, 2010 04:32:50 pm
      Barnsey is the only ex player to defend rafa in the media and also stated that any player not happy at the club to do one!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #457: Jun 07, 2010 04:11:34 am
      Didn't read past those player comparisons because i know what he says is right, and what Hansen/other pundits say are sensationalist ramblings.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Paul Tomkins meets John W Henry
      Reply #458: Nov 03, 2010 01:50:00 pm
      My Lunch With 'The Quiet American'
      First of all, it nearly never happened. John W Henry sent me a message more than a week ago to give him a call, but as it was from a Facebook account with almost no activity, I assumed it was some kind of hoaxer. So I ignored it, as you do.

It was only when he began to follow me on Twitter a number of days later, with that site’s particular notification message coinciding with an email from a ‘John W Henry’ a couple of minutes later, that I realised it was the man himself.

He got in touch as, having tried to find out as much as possible about the club many months ago, he ordered a whole stack of books from Amazon. I don’t know what he thought of the others he read, but he liked mine.

So, at his request, we went out for lunch, to chew the fat (and too chat, too…). At the end, the chefs and waiters of restaurant queued like nervous teenagers to ask for his autograph. Of course, I was totally ignored. I was half-expecting them to ask him “So, John, why are you having lunch with Moby?”

Softly spoken, but as sharp as a tack, his politeness and humble nature were as I’d expected from reading up on him during the takeover.

I know some of the SaveLFC guys who met with him a couple of weeks back, and they said he even carried the drinks. He’s that kind of guy. When I emailed him a PDF of my new book in reply to his initial contact, he was genuinely thankful, as if I’d emailed him my new born baby converted into binary. In person I experienced no obvious ego, but a great belief in winning. If I had to sum him up in two words, I’d say ‘quiet confidence’.

That he also met with SOS is another great sign; the fans are being engaged in the process, if not exactly ‘running’ the club. I can’t compete with those guys for local knowledge and hardcore fan passion, but I have my own unique take on the game (and a method with numbers) that John W can obviously relate to.

He said he wanted my thoughts on NESV’s ideas for the club; not to get involved with them, merely to see what my reaction was.

Now obviously, it’s not my place to explain what they are before they are in a position to do so – and some are purely theoretical at this stage – but my reaction was one of great encouragement. It sounded eminently sensible. Nothing flashy, nothing silly, nothing to try and woo the fans; above all else, no false promises. And I’m sure there’s lots he didn’t tell me, too. But I got the feeling this is now a club that can keep its best players, and add young, hungry, up-and-coming top-class talent to improve the team.

(As I am about to hit send to publish this piece, Damien Comolli – former Arsenal scout and the man who signed many of Spurs’ better players, and who shares NESV’s ‘Moneyball’ vision – has been appointed, presumably as Director of Football. I knew from yesterday that something like this was going to happen with regard to overseeing transfers, but only joined the dots earlier today when Comolli quit his post at St Etienne.)

No-one can predict the future, and John W accepts that a few mistakes may be made along the way – who doesn’t in football? – but I liked what I heard. Success cannot be guaranteed, but the club will be much better run from now on. Most importantly, the Gillett and Hicks acquisition debt has been cleared, so the club is no longer hemorrhaging money.

The primary aim has to be to undo all the bad work of the previous administration, and that is the biggest part already taken care of. More will follow. But it’s building up again from a base, after the previous owners almost razed the club to the ground.

It’s clear that NESV don’t have the insane kinds of money some of our rivals possess – those ‘super-benefactors’ – so it’s about being clever; as they were with the Red Sox, in ending 86 years of ‘hurt’ as we say in this country. But football over here is a more unequal system, and he’s still trying to get his head around how differently players’ contracts are treated (and honoured) over here.

Let me be clear: I’m not interested in doing his PR. Go and read anyone else’s experiences of the man, and you’ll find the same. And he never asked me to. As loathed as Hicks is in US sporting circles, Henry is admired. You don’t need me to tell you that. And I don’t want to get involved on that level.

Because, as fans, our experience with Gillett and Hicks tells us that trust has to be earned; watch what people do, not what they say. That said, having been told of a couple of things they’ve already done behind the scenes, I have to say, they mean business.

But this big week is just the start.

http://tomkinstimes.com/2010/11/my-lunch-with-the-quiet-american

Great article from one off the only journalists I trust 100%.

« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2010 03:07:07 pm by CRK, Reason: Added article and link »
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Paul Tomkins meets John W Henry
      Reply #459: Nov 03, 2010 01:58:31 pm
      Already knew about this, I'd told a few members in way of PM's ;D

« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2010 03:07:16 pm by RedLFCBlood »

Quick Reply