Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Damien Plessis Player Thread (Panathinaikos)

Read 29307 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Damien Plessis Player Thread (Panathinaikos)
      Apr 05, 2008 02:59:39 pm
      In what may be seen as his debut into the First 11 team, in a tough match against Arsenal, 19 years old Damien Plessis has really done well.

He was composed all through the game as his confidence grew steadily. One to never be scared of the big names in football, Damien put his foot in whenever it required that he did so. He had amazing control even with attackers bearing down on him, his passes seldom missed their destination and he clearly held his own with his team mates.

A brilliant debut IMO. Well done lad.

Great work to Rafa Benitez.
      « Last Edit: Aug 31, 2010 08:47:20 pm by RedPuppy »
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Re: Damien Plessis Player Tread
      Reply #1: Apr 05, 2008 03:02:25 pm
      He is a good player, did a good job but his technique reminds me a little of Momo Sissoko. In my opinion I seriously don't think going by what I can see from him, that he'll be good enough for a first team place. He's 20 years old and he's no Fabregas, Anderson etc

Good player though but I can't see him turning into a world class player, I might be wrong but I doubt it
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2: Apr 05, 2008 03:02:26 pm
      i have seen a good few reserves games this season and although hes done well for them he never really crossed my mind as on whod break into the first team. But I tell ye what the lad didnt look out of place on that pitch today! He can pass nad tackles well. Huge future ahead for that lad.

Lets hope that the rest of Rafas little gems make the same impression when they get there chance
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #3: Apr 05, 2008 03:11:20 pm
      Played fantastically well. If he is 19 even better, cant compare him to Anderson and Fabregas after his DEBUT and he is a DM not attacking mid come on Ra Ra seriously. He was excellent today considering the amount of pressure on him and did well to break up their play, composed on the ball and didnt look nervous atall.

I think that was a great game for the young lad and hope it sent a message to rafa that our youngsters have talent.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #4: Apr 05, 2008 03:42:55 pm
      He deserves all the credit he's getting. Done very well today. It's great to see players who have been consistently good in the reserves get a chance in the first team and not look out of place.

He was composed all through the game as his confidence grew steadily. One to never be scared of the big names in football, Damien put his foot in whenever it required that he did so. He had amazing control even with attackers bearing down on him, his passes seldom missed their destination and he clearly held his own with his team mates.

A brilliant debut IMO. Well done lad.

Spot on mate.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Damien Plessis Player Thread
      Reply #5: Apr 05, 2008 03:47:19 pm
      Great game today, like Brian he hasn't been one of the standout players in the reserves for me, but he definitely impressed me today. Some players are just like that, they get their job done with the minimum of fuss, and as a result sometimes they don't really stand out regardless of the level they're playing at, but this doesn't always mean that they can't do that job just as well at a higher level. It would take a few more performances like today's for me to get excited about him, but it's certainly a very good start for the lad.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #6: Apr 05, 2008 03:49:33 pm
      He is a good player, did a good job but his technique reminds me a little of Momo Sissoko. In my opinion I seriously don't think going by what I can see from him, that he'll be good enough for a first team place. He's 20 years old and he's no Fabregas, Anderson etc

Good player though but I can't see him turning into a world class player, I might be wrong but I doubt it

He's not an Anderson, not a Fabregas either.  He does remind me of Sissoko, a lot like him.  Who's to say he can't turn in to the next Viera?  But we've heard that before ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #7: Apr 05, 2008 03:49:54 pm
      I thought he done really well today, he was going into tackles and getting the ball and genereally looked comfortable. I think he may play again this season and its great to see a youngster look as though he is good enough for he 1st team
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #8: Apr 05, 2008 03:53:01 pm
      He is of course a good player but sometimes playing against Arsenal isn't the test. Just don't give this guy too much hope yet, he's got more physical teams to face yet.

He kept it simple and well done to him, its not clever to be over ambitious in your first game for the senior team but please lets not expect him to be the next Paddy Vieira, it was one game...
      JonBassett
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts | -4 
      Reply #9: Apr 05, 2008 03:53:24 pm
      Yea it was a great debut, his passing was accurate and he never made any notable mistakes. i think it's unfair to say he has the technique or touch similar to sissoko because sissoko had a pretty shocking touch.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #10: Apr 05, 2008 03:54:41 pm
      Yea it was a great debut, his passing was accurate and he never made any notable mistakes. I think it's unfair to say he has the technique or touch similar to sissoko because sissoko had a pretty shocking touch.

Not really, in his first season he played some brilliant passes and had a good touch, it was just in his 3rd season where his game started to get shocking!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #11: Apr 05, 2008 03:55:37 pm
      Not really, in his first season he played some brilliant passes and had a good touch, it was just in his 3rd season where his game started to get shocking!

True, he never quite seemed the same after that eye injury.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #12: Apr 05, 2008 03:58:24 pm

Thats what it was I think, but surely his vision was good enough for a simple pass or two that he messed up time and time again? I'm thinking that the shoulder injury was the one that wrote him off, they were both bad injurys!
      JonBassett
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts | -4 
      Reply #13: Apr 05, 2008 04:08:27 pm

Yea, i think we definatley sold him at the right time.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #14: Apr 05, 2008 04:18:23 pm
      I was impressed with the young lad today,didn't look too panicked or hurried when on the ball and made alot of intelligent passes. He did look better than Lucas today who too made some good passes but got caught in possession too many times.  Altogether, good steady performance from the young lad.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #15: Apr 05, 2008 04:26:18 pm
      He had a better game than Lucas did today, however by the type of game Lucas has I think Lucas has more of a future with us as I can only see him getting a hell of a lot better!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #16: Apr 05, 2008 04:28:55 pm
      Not good enough I'm afraid, his name doesn't fit into the best midfield in the world song :D

Convert Pacheco to a central midfielder I say :D
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #17: Apr 05, 2008 04:37:44 pm
      Just to note to lil cisse, no dig at all but you made a point about us having defensive problems if Xabi Alonso was sold and Javier Mascherano got injured. Well has your opinion changed yet?

Damien Plessis has come in and proved he can do a job, good enough? I don't know but he can surely do a job if there is a role to fill in. Just like Wes Brown and John O'Shea can fill in and do a job for Man Utd, I think this guy can do the same for us.

By the way I'm a fan of Xabi Alonso and how he plays, however I've not been a fan on his performances in the last two season's if he's a first teamer. He's a good player, but his performances for someone looking to play week in week out is not good enough for a team looking to win silverware...

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #18: Apr 05, 2008 04:40:32 pm
      What a brilliant debut couldn't have expected more than that.  But hey have to take the opportunity to give credit to Rafa for his tactical awareness, lets not make no mistake this game was a vital componet to the crucial game on Tuesday. 
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #19: Apr 05, 2008 04:50:28 pm
      Just to note to lil cisse, no dig at all but you made a point about us having defensive problems if Xabi Alonso was sold and Javier Mascherano got injured. Well has your opinion changed yet?

Damien Plessis has come in and proved he can do a job, good enough? I don't know but he can surely do a job if there is a role to fill in. Just like Wes Brown and John O'Shea can fill in and do a job for Man Utd, I think this guy can do the same for us.

By the way I'm a fan of Xabi Alonso and how he plays, however I've not been a fan on his performances in the last two season's if he's a first teamer. He's a good player, but his performances for someone looking to play week in week out is not good enough for a team looking to win silverware...

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I know this isnt a dig Ra Ra good point though. But you have to admit you didnt even think of that option before todays game. Yeah i think he could do well in this role for us in the future my opinion has changed only a bit though.

Arsenal is a phenominal test as they are the hardest teams play to break up. They are the worlds best passing side and Fabregas and Flaminis partnership has arguably been on of the best CM partnerships in the world this season.

I still think we should keep Xabi but i think plessis can succeed here he looks a great player.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #20: Apr 05, 2008 05:00:42 pm
      RAFA PRAISES DEBUT BOY DAMIEN
      Jimmy Rice at the Emirates 05 April 2008 
        Rafa Benitez was full of praise for debutant Damien Plessis after watching his side come close to a first ever victory at the Emirates. 
      The 20-year-old midfielder was a surprise inclusion against Arsenal as Benitez made eight changes from Wednesday's Champions League encounter.

Up against Cesc Fabregas, the Frenchman put in a composed display to stake his claim for a regular place in the squad.

Benitez said: "Today was the debut for Damien Plessis. We knew when we signed him that he was a good player. He's played really well for the reserves, and to play as well as he did today in this stadium, it shows we are going in the right direction."

The game also brought a recall for Peter Crouch, who scored the Reds goal during a man-of-the-match display.

"Crouch played really well, as did Benayoun, Lucas and Riise. A lot of players who don't normally play played well," said Benitez.

"Arsene Wenger also kept some players for the second leg. You could see some players were tired but the majority played the game with a lot of passion.

"It was an open game at the end. We knew we had to work hard and we did that for a long time. We were well organised and scored a good goal.

"We could have lost because they had chances, but we could have won because we had two or three opportunities as well.

"At the end I was a little bit disappointed because we could have won. Torres, Gerrard and Riise had some attacks."

On the prospect of Crouch signing a new contract, the Anfield boss said: "He is a very good professional, that's why we've offered him a new contract. I have confidence. I know he is happy here but I also know he wants to play. We have offered the contract and now we need to wait.

"We are playing at the moment with one striker, but we've played a lot of the season with two. We are a team that is winning trophies and he can be an important part of that."

Next up for Liverpool is the third part of this week's Arsenal trilogy, with the Gunners visiting Anfield on Tuesday for the second leg of the Champions League quarter-final.

The first leg ended 1-1 three days ago, meaning the sides have now been inseparable during 270 minutes of football this season.

On what could ultimately separate the sides, Benitez said: "We have confidence but we know they have quality and can play well away from home.

"The small details can be the difference. A mistake or a top-class player will be the difference between whether we win or lose."

A goalless draw would be enough for the Reds to progress but Benitez added: "It's very, very difficult to play for a 0-0. I do not know how to do it!"

Last year's Champions League semi-final against Chelsea was decided on penalties, a very real possibility this time round.

Not that Gerrard and co will be spending hours honing their skills from 12 yards over the next few days.

"I don't believe too much in practicing penalties," Benitez explained. "I am a believer in the heart and quality of the players. We have some good players to take penalties. We practiced before the Chelsea semi-final but not too much, because when you are walking from the halfway line to the box it is just about being calm.

"Sometimes an 18-year-old player can be really good, sometimes a 31-year-old can be not so good.

"But I will try not to think about penalties. We will try to use our experience during the game." 
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #21: Apr 05, 2008 05:15:42 pm
      His technique is better than Sisoko IMO and his passing, i remember many matches were i was actually shouting at sissoko his passing was soo bad :S But v.well done plessis :)
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #22: Apr 05, 2008 06:37:40 pm
      I was very impressed with the lad. To be thrown in at the deep end today and make his debut against Arsenal and the likes of Fabregas and more than hold his own suggests he may have what it takes to push for a regular place in our squad. I have to admit, i watch very little of the reserves games but soley judged on his performance today i believe he can go far.

Quick Reply