Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Outgoing Players

Read 10468 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Outgoing Players
      Reply #69: Apr 28, 2008 09:24:23 pm
      Lets be honest, he hasnt played much has he? I really do believe that Lucas will become a absolutley astounding player.

yea i would have to beleive you dont become captain of brazil u-20s for nothing
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #70: May 01, 2008 08:28:49 pm
      http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8750_3504167,00.html

There's no doubt that the gap has been cut. The gulf of over 20 points to last season's champions has been halved this season, due in the most part to the addition of Fernando Torres and the benefit of a full campaign from the almost unbreachable Javier Mascherano.

But ManYoo and Chelsea will undoubtedly spend again this summer (the former on a striker and the latter on flair) and Liverpool will need to spend again simply to ensure that the gap does not grow again. If they intend to actually compete for the title, they will need to spend more.

We take a look at the current Liverpool squad and speculate about the areas that need to be strengthened.

GOALKEEPER
      Questions continue to be asked about Jose Reina - and particularly his comfort under high balls - but this summer's goalkeeping priority will be in providing competition for the Spaniard rather than procuring a replacement. If his price continues to be prohibitive and Scott Carson returns, that problem will be solved. If not, someone other than Charles Itandje is needed to warn Reina that he is not entirely untouchable.

RIGHT-BACK
      The only thing regular about the right-back situation at Liverpool this season has been the regularity of the switch between Steve Finnan and Alvaro Arbeloa. Rafa is clearly not convinced by either - Jamie Carragher's inclusion at right-back in the big games tells a very clear story - and neither would walk into another top four side. Possible replacements are hardly two a penny (as the high asking prices for Dani Alves and Jose Bosingwa suggest) but Schalke's Brazilian right-back Rafinha and Borussia Dortmund's Philipp Degen are names often mentioned in despatches.

LEFT-BACK
      Rafa's ridiculously protracted chase of Gabriel Heinze last summer suggests that he knew he needed cover on the left side of defence, with John-Arne Riise, Fabiano Aurelio and an out-of-position Alvaro Arbeloa his only options. When you consider that his rivals have Patrice Evra, Ashley Cole and Gael Clichy in that position, you can see how Liverpool's squad falls short. Riise will exit this summer and he is likely to be replaced - don't be surprised if Wayne Bridge finally leaves Chelsea for the lure of regular Champions League footbal.

CENTRE-HALF
      Injury to Daniel Agger left Liverpool woefully short in the centre at the start of the season as anyone with eyes in their head could see that Sami Hyypia was not an option to play a full season. Rafa reacted - probably too late - in bringing in Martin Skrtel in January, but that does mean that it's one area of the pitch which need not worry the Reds chequebook this summer.

RIGHT MIDFIELD
      The fact that Rafa has preferred an enthusiastic but limited Golden Retriever on the right side of midfield in the latter half of the season gives you an indication of the lack of faith he has in either Jermaine Pennant and Yossi Benayoun, who sit firmly in the box labelled 'decent Premier League player' along with the likes of Darren Fletcher and Shaun Wright-Phillips. There are reasons these players are substitutes for Big Four sides, but the difference is that Liverpool have no better alternative to keep the average players on the bench. This is where the big money should be spent this summer, though talk of getting Roma's Mancini for just £4m should see fans rubbing their hands together with glee. Fans may be split on talk of David Bentley - a player capable of making the step up or another 7/10 player?

LEFT MIDFIELD
      Harry Kewell should finally shift his arse and his massive wages out of Anfield this summer to leave Ryan Babel and Benayoun as the only real options (assuming Riise's exit), with both playing out of position. Babel could yet become the answer to that conundrum - though he would prefer to play up front - but it's fair to say that they are being linked with Gareth Barry for a reason, and it's not because they fancy he will replace either Javier Mascherano or Xabi Alonso in the middle. Mancini could also play on the left, but Barry's steadiness (and versatility) could well appeal to Rafa. One interesting little rumour nugget had Guillem Balague suggesting that Liverpool would buy an England international midfielder and it would be a 'surprise'. We could perhaps throw the name of Joe Cole into the mix at this point...

CENTRAL MIDFIELD
      It will be a surprise if this is where the money is spent this summer as they boast quite a quartet in Mascherano, Alonso, Lucas and Stevie Gerrard, with Damien Plessis capable of filling in where necessary. The capture of Barry would obviously provide other options - particularly if Alonso exits - while someone like Cole could certainly play in the hole in the stead of Gerrard.

STRIKER
      If Peter Crouch was pondering whether to exit Liverpool this summer, his mind should have been made up by the fact that he was still sat on the bench at the end of a Champions League semi-final in which the Reds needed goals. He will have no shortage of options if he decides to exit, but his replacement will be decided by budget. A big budget and you're looking at Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, a smaller budget and you're maybe looking at Kenwyne Jones.
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ __

From the article, it looks to me like the key area of concentration for the next season are the following areas:

Left Back, Right Back, Left midfield & Right Midfield. I still think Crouch can be a good Striking Partner for Torres, therefore we really do not need another striker.

What do you think?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2008 08:31:20 pm by solodee »
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #71: May 01, 2008 11:31:23 pm
      Agree solodee ithink crouch can do a good job alongside torres aswell and we need to strengthen the wings and wingback positions.

Im EXTREMELY interested to see what comes of this ...

'One interesting little rumour nugget had Guillem Balague suggesting that Liverpool would buy an England international midfielder and it would be a 'surprise'. We could perhaps throw the name of Joe Cole into the mix at this point'

I respect Guillem alot but at the same time people seem to take his rumours of transfers as gospel when they obviously arent always going to be right, he is right quite alot but alot of people seem to think if he says it then its most likely happening.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #72: May 02, 2008 12:24:03 am
      'One interesting little rumour nugget had Guillem Balague suggesting that Liverpool would buy an England international midfielder and it would be a 'surprise'. We could perhaps throw the name of Joe Cole into the mix at this point'

I read this too, didn't know what to make of the speculation.... It will be interesting. However, with Alonso choosing to remain in Anfield, The central midfield is getting over crowded.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #73: May 02, 2008 12:26:36 am

Well if there's anything in it surely he can't mean Barry or Bentley. They've already been linked with us, Barry very heavily, so I wouldn't really count either as a surprise.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #74: May 02, 2008 12:11:14 pm
      Any other England players we would like besides Cole in midfield that are surprising? Stewart Downing or even Ashley Young would be a surprise. Hope its Young or Cole or even both.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #75: May 02, 2008 12:35:51 pm
      From SkySports:

Riise airs contract concerns
      Defender still waiting for new deal

John Arne Riise has vented his frustration at not yet being offered a new contract at Liverpool.

Riise, who was part of the 2005 UEFA Champions League and 2006 FA Cup winning sides, has one year left to run on his present deal at Anfield but is keen to know where his long-term future lies.

The Norwegian has admitted that if he is still in the dark in the close season he may even look at a potential move away from Merseyside.

Decision

"I don't feel that I have been treated badly, but I think that the club should have said something since I've been here seven years," Riise told Dagbladet.

"I've won everything that we have won and I've played everything that's worth playing. It's up to the boss to decide.

"It's disappointing that everything is so tight, with one year left on my contract and I haven't heard anything.

"I don't know what the manager thinks, no-one does. I don't think about moving on but something has to happen this summer. It's hard to say anything for sure but I will consider a switch to another club this summer.

"There's two games left of the season, and I can get my 350th game for Liverpool. That's 50 games a season almost, I have nothing to prove."

lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #76: May 02, 2008 12:52:42 pm
      Any other England players we would like besides Cole in midfield that are surprising? Stewart Downing or even Ashley Young would be a surprise. Hope its Young or Cole or even both.

Ashley young would be superb, love for us to land him. Will be very interesting to see what happens
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #77: May 02, 2008 01:23:34 pm
      John, you cant honestly think you warrant a new contract do you? Your sh*te mate, im sorry.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #78: May 02, 2008 01:57:16 pm
      Quote from John Arne Riise
      I have nothing to prove.

If these were his exact words and he hasn't been misquoted, then it says all I need to hear. Every player has something to prove every season, even the very best players need to prove that they're still as good as they have been previously, to say any different shows a severe lack of ambition IMO.

Whilst I definitely feel he needs to move on I do feel a little sorry for him that he doesn't know what's happening, surely now we've got nothing left to play for Rafa could have a word in his ear & tell him either he's staying or going?
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #79: May 02, 2008 02:18:31 pm

whilst I definitely feel he needs to move on I do feel a little sorry for him that he doesn't know what's happening, surely now we've got nothing left to play for Rafa could have a word in his ear & tell him either he's staying or going?
      Fair point Eddie but I think Rafa is not likely to whisper in anyone's ear until he has secured the replacements he is currently chasing.I am sure that these transfers in would have already been done if it were'nt for the boardroom sh*te that's been going on.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #80: May 08, 2008 07:23:44 am
      Liverpool boss Benitez admits interest arriving for Crouch, Riise

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has confirmed interest is arriving for Peter Crouch and John Arne Riise.

He told liverpoolfc.tv: "They both have one year on their contracts. We know some clubs are asking about them but we need to wait and then do the best for them and for us."

I think they will be out in summer 'cos rafa's private things always leave them for him.
      « Last Edit: May 08, 2008 10:19:58 am by clint_call01 »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #81: May 08, 2008 08:00:34 am
      Check out your source. Dont take their word mate, its obvious they are just puting 2 and 2 together with their lack of games and creating an article out of it while using a quote out of context.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      Reply #82: May 08, 2008 09:39:55 am
      Check out your source. Dont take their word mate, its obvious they are just puting 2 and 2 together with their lack of games and creating an article out of it while using a quote out of context.

Can you give us an update on the contract situation with John Arne Riise and Peter Crouch?

They both have one year on their contracts. We know some clubs are asking about them but we need to wait and then do the best for them and for us.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N159849080507-1434.htm
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #83: May 08, 2008 09:45:16 am
      We have offered Peter a new contract, the possibility of him to take it is minimal and JAR is not good enough and Rafa see's that now i think. I have little doubt they are gone but your source isnt reliable.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      Reply #84: May 08, 2008 09:47:09 am
      We have offered Peter a new contract, the possibility of him to take it is minimal and JAR is not good enough and Rafa see's that now I think. I have little doubt they are gone but your source isnt reliable.
      The website is ours, Liverpool offical website!
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #85: May 08, 2008 05:35:36 pm
      SKY SPORTS NEWS

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has confirmed Harry Kewell will leave the club at the end of the season.

Kewell has been informed he is free to leave Anfield when his contract expires in the summer.

The Australian has endured an injury-ravaged five years at Liverpool since his controversial arrival from Leeds.

The 29-year-old made his last appearance for Liverpool in the shock FA Cup defeat to Barnsley in February and Benitez has decided to let Kewell move on.

Reports suggest Kewell rejected a new deal on reduced wages and Benitez has admitted he could not reach an agreement with the player.

Exit

"We have tried to come to an agreement with the player and his agent, but that has not been possible," said Benitez.

"Kewell will leave the club at the end of his contract."

Benitez also revealed that the club would consider offers for John Arne Riise.

Riise recently revealed his fears over his future as he has just over a year to run on his current contract and as yet no new deal has been discussed.

Benitez says he is happy with Riise, but could sell him if he receives a suitable bid.

"With Riise and the rest of the players they have one or more years left on their contracts, so he is still our player at the moment and he knows if we receive a good offer - good for him and the club - it could be...

"But he is still our player and I am really pleased with him because he is a fantastic professional," added Benitez.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      Reply #86: May 09, 2008 08:47:03 am
      In Daily mail I read that Juve will make a bid about 15m for alonso but o'neil said that he wants more than 10m for barry. For the same amount I will take alonso!!

the link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=564916&in_page_id=1779
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #87: May 09, 2008 11:57:46 am
      Liverpool reject Inter Milan bid for Gerrard
      By Telegraph staff

Liverpool have turned down a £25 million bid from Inter Milan for captain Steven Gerrard, according to reports.

The Italian club are determined to mark their centenary celebrations with a big-name signing and Gerrard tops Roberto Mancini's wish-list.

The England international, 27, has two years to run on his current Liverpool contract, and an Inter official said: "We need to make a big signing for next season and Gerrard was at the centre of our thoughts.

"Liverpool gave us the most emphatic response he was not for sale.

"We have drawn up a list of alternatives. But if Liverpool decide to sell, Gerrard is our top priority."

Another Liverpool midfielder linked with a move to Serie A is Spaniard Xavi Alonso, with Juventus poised to make a £15m bid.

Alonso could be replaced at Anfield by £10m-rated Mail international Seydou Keita.

Keita, 28, has drawn the attention of Rafa Benitez after impressing in his first season at Sevilla, and a Liverpool insider said: "Rafa has Keita very high up on his list this summer and may well make a bid for him."

===============================================================================================

Give us 50 million and I still wouldnt sell. Absolute nutters.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/05/09/ufngerrard109.xml
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #88: May 09, 2008 01:04:42 pm
      Inter haha they should give up now we dont want to sell him EVER.

and

At Last ...

Benitez rubbishes Alonso rumours
      Liverpool boss keen to keep Spaniard
      Benitez: Wants Alonso stay

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez is adamant that he will not be looking to sell Xabi Alonso if Gareth Barry arrives at Anfield this summer.

The future of midfielder Alonso has been thrown into doubt after Benitez recently revealed he was keen to secure the signature of Aston Villa captain Barry.

Juventus have become the latest club to be linked with a move for Alonso, who joined Liverpool from Real Sociedad for £10.5million in 2004, while Real Madrid and Barcelona are also thought to be admirers.

However, Benitez has rubbished speculation that he is looking to offload the Spanish international.

"(Alonso) is our player, he has a contract," Benitez said in The Independent.

"Barry can play in three different positions, so I don't think we need to worry about this."

Meanwhile, Benitez will be on the lookout for a new assistant manager this summer following the news that Alex Miller has accepted an offer to manage Japanese J-League side JEF United Chiba.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #89: May 09, 2008 01:10:08 pm
      I think we should sell at least one midfielder in the summer but not Mascherano. We need a mix up in that posistion.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #90: May 09, 2008 01:59:08 pm
      None of our CM's will leave i dont think.

One thing that worries me is that i havent seen even one single rumour that voronin will leave, could he stay ? We havent put him up for sale or anything and no offers have come in.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #91: May 09, 2008 02:13:30 pm
      None of our CM's will leave I dont think.

One thing that worries me is that I havent seen even one single rumour that voronin will leave, could he stay ? We havent put him up for sale or anything and no offers have come in.

Your surprised no one wants him?   :o

:D :D

Quick Reply