Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Liverpool v Arsenal - (CL 2nd leg) Pre Match Thread

Read 6907 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Liverpool v Arsenal - (CL 2nd leg) Pre Match Thread
      Reply #23: Apr 07, 2008 01:32:31 pm
      I agree with don here, today of all days we need to kill this game off soon. Arsenal's young guns are talented, but they have fragile heads.

I would actually change the formation to suite this offensive mindedness and do it like this:

REINA
      CARRA               HYYPIA                   SKRTEL          AURELIO

ALONSO                   MASCH
      GERRARD                                                              BABEL
                             CROUCH                   TORRES

why?........

Provides a monster of an attack while not neglecting defensive proirities. Crouch is the spanner in the works.  Arsenal just havent got a clue as to what to do with Crouch. And while they're busy scratching their heads over Crouch........Torres, Gerrard and Babel will blast Almunia through the back of his own net.
      I think yours is better than mine 'cos your played with two defensive midfielder & two good striker.
      hope we win!ynwa
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #24: Apr 07, 2008 01:39:15 pm
      I know better than to try and guess who or what formation Rafa will play.

All I can be sure of is that I will be on the edge of my seat up to the final whistle with the threat of another goal from Arsenal knocking us out of the competition.

We never do it the easy way but it would make a nice change if we did.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #25: Apr 07, 2008 01:55:30 pm
      Personally I think it should be the same formation. I know Crouch scored at the weekend and had a good game but Torres is alot better than Crouch so he should start. Alonso and Masch in their usuall role because Fabregas played the whole game again so he is going to be fatigued and will have a fresh Masch to contend with and the same flamini and Alonso. Arsenal didnt rest many players and I think that because we basically ave a fresh squad we should concentrate on getting an early goal because its only really in the 2nd half that Arsenal put us under alot of pressure and seeing as they are fatigued They wont be able to do that this time ound. I have a good feeling we could win this game 1-0 maybe 2-0.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #26: Apr 07, 2008 02:25:21 pm
      I wonder if the arse supporters and wenger have the same selction and formation  headache as us :lmao:
      Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      • Team Spirit of Champions
      Reply #27: Apr 07, 2008 02:37:13 pm
      I think we should stick to the same team as last week (cl) with one change.... Crouchie on for Torres!
      Yes Torres is a fantastic striker, Arsenal seem to be able to handle him. While Crouchie seem s to always give them a nightmare and score a goal. In my opinion Crouchies best games in a red shirt have been against Arsenal!

But who knows who Rafa will pick?

IN RAFA WE TRUST
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #28: Apr 07, 2008 03:05:44 pm
      I think we should stick to the same team as last week (cl) with one change.... Crouchie on for Torres!
      Yes Torres is a fantastic striker, Arsenal seem to be able to handle him. While Crouchie seem s to always give them a nightmare and score a goal. In my opinion Crouchies best games in a red shirt have been against Arsenal!

But who knows who Rafa will pick?

IN RAFA WE TRUST

You cant be serious, The 1st time we played them this season they dealt with Torres because he was injured and went off at half time. Wednesday was the 1st time torres played them with out being injured and we were away from home and arsenal done most of the attacking so they didnt really have much to deal with. He came on for the last 10 minutes or so at the weekend and was a threat and was starting to cause them problems. This time we will be at home and torres wont be injured, he will be fresh where as arsenal will be fatigued so they will find it much harder to deal with him. Dont get me wrong, i am NOT saying crouch is'nt good enough but if Rafa plays 1 striker again then that should be torres.
      Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      • Team Spirit of Champions
      Reply #29: Apr 07, 2008 03:29:52 pm
      You cant be serious, The 1st time we played them this season they dealt with Torres because he was injured and went off at half time. Wednesday was the 1st time torres played them with out being injured and we were away from home and arsenal done most of the attacking so they didnt really have much to deal with. He came on for the last 10 minutes or so at the weekend and was a threat and was starting to cause them problems. This time we will be at home and torres wont be injured, he will be fresh where as arsenal will be fatigued so they will find it much harder to deal with him. Dont get me wrong, I am NOT saying crouch is'nt good enough but if Rafa plays 1 striker again then that should be torres.

I'm not doubting Torres' ability. I just think that Crouch always has a good game against Arsenal and scores. If we bring Torres on for the last 30mins when the Arsenal defense is tired from dealing with Crouch, then he can do real damage to them.
      Also if we get pegged back Crouchie is a good out let, who can hold up the ball when surrounded by several players (as highlighted in the weekend match thread) until support arrives. While Torres is more direct with the ball.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #30: Apr 07, 2008 04:55:04 pm
      I'm not doubting Torres' ability. I just think that Crouch always has a good game against Arsenal and scores. If we bring Torres on for the last 30mins when the Arsenal defense is tired from dealing with Crouch, then he can do real damage to them.
      Also if we get pegged back Crouchie is a good out let, who can hold up the ball when surrounded by several players (as highlighted in the weekend match thread) until support arrives. While Torres is more direct with the ball.

I didnt say you were doubting his ability, but to me it seems that because Torres didnt see much of the ball in the 1st leg and was injured the 1st time we played them you  would prefer him not to play. Yes crouch does do well against arsenal but Torres has hardly played agianst them and seeing as he is our best striker he should be chosen if rafa plays 1 upfront. However if it is not working out then bring on crouch for torres mid way through the 2nd half. Although i have a feeling afa will play them both upfront. Another option would be to perhaps drop alonso, play gerrard in centre mid and have crouch playing that support striker role.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #31: Apr 07, 2008 05:01:54 pm
      Anybody else realise that if SG doesn't want to play wing/libero it means Crouchy gets squeezed out of the team... to allow Xabi and Masch to manage midfield.

SG behind Fernando means no Crouchy. Simple.

SG in midfield means no Xabi. Simple.

SG on wing with freedom means 4-4-2 with Crouchy and Fernando up-front.

IRWT
      I'm with you on this one Don, we need to have both Crouch & Torres up front and Xabi & Mascher in midfield. We must control midfield to stop them creating opportunities and having Crouchie up front will mean they can't afford to have 2 men on Fernando all the time and the consequence of that will be goals, but as always in Rafa we trust.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #32: Apr 07, 2008 05:14:06 pm
      I'm with you on this one Don, we need to have both Crouch & Torres up front and Xabi & Mascher in midfield. We must control midfield to stop them creating opportunities and having Crouchie up front will mean they can't afford to have 2 men on Fernando all the time and the consequence of that will be goals, but as always in Rafa we trust.

IRWT ... and SG must sacrifice his favourite position...for the team... just like Carra, Arbeloa, Xabi and Babel have/do (little hint in that official web article me thinks...)

Anyway SG best games for Liverpool have often been in critical games in that very position - i.e. wing / libero cutting in/roaming.

One thing is clear for me, if SG has a bad game tomorrow... it's curtains.

Where ever Stevie plays he must have a blinder tomorrow night.

ISWT (too!!)
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #33: Apr 07, 2008 09:04:04 pm
      I have a little 500 mile drive starting 9am tomorrow, finishing sometime Wednesday with the small matter of the most important match of our season to date as the filling in my Champions League sandwich! I would like to return to South London with no voice and a big smile on my face ;)

May I wish Liverpool FC and it's fans across the world success and much happiness for tomorrow night!

:aaliverpoolwz0: :aaliverpool2xt1: :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6: COME ON YOU REDS! :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpoolwz0:

donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #34: Apr 07, 2008 09:12:20 pm
      I have a little 500 mile drive starting 9am tomorrow, finishing sometime Wednesday with the small matter of the most important match of our season to date as the filling in my Champions League sandwich! I would like to return to South London with no voice and a big smile on my face ;)

May I wish Liverpool FC and it's fans across the world success and much happiness for tomorrow night!

:aaliverpoolwz0: :aaliverpool2xt1: :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6: COME ON YOU REDS! :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpoolwz0:

Well done matey... have a great time and show those Arse boys what the Anfield oven is all about.

YNWA

What part of South London by the way?

I grew up in Wimbledon.... we won't talk about 88...ever.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #35: Apr 08, 2008 02:25:34 am
      Red1028 lives in Croydon I think, not really South London but south of London (Surrey)

Anyway back on topic. I'm quite nervous about tommorow. Not too confident as I think Arsenal will definitley score.. they always score! They make chance after chance but they miss too many and thats why we still have a chance.

It could easily be 2 - 2 and if it was then we'd be out! We need to be very carefull and I'm not going to get over confident about this game, just be hopefull.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #36: Apr 08, 2008 05:51:53 am
      Surely 2-2 takes it to extra time and maybe penalties as its a draw.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #37: Apr 08, 2008 06:54:46 am
      Surely 2-2 takes it to extra time and maybe penalties as its a draw.

If it's the final score for the match tonight then Arsenal are qualified after 90 minutes on the away goals rule. If you mean 2-2 as the score over both legs (ie. 1-1 at the Emirates and then 1-1 at Anfield) then you are correct.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #38: Apr 08, 2008 07:18:37 am
      If it's the final score for the match tonight then Arsenal are qualified after 90 minutes on the away goals rule. If you mean 2-2 as the score over both legs (ie. 1-1 at the Emirates and then 1-1 at Anfield) then you are correct.

Yeah i was thinking of aggregate score. Ra Ra probably meant on the night.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #39: Apr 08, 2008 08:36:36 am
      12 hours to kick off and im buzzing already. The feeling of a potential Chelsea semi final again is too hard to look past. Come on you red men!!!!!!!!

2-1 to us!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #40: Apr 08, 2008 08:43:55 am
      Crouchinho, SBS are showing Chelsea v Fenerbache live at 4.30 and as for Foxtel ...I've been on their tv guide on the net and they are advertising Man Scum v Roma.....WTF?   Where are you watching it?

Go you REDS  2-0 Crouch and Gerrard but hoping Fernando can score a double as well ;)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #41: Apr 08, 2008 09:15:42 am
      Crouchinho, SBS are showing Chelsea v Fenerbache live at 4.30 and as for Foxtel ...I've been on their tv guide on the net and they are advertising Man Scum v Roma.....WTF?   Where are you watching it?

Go you REDS  2-0 Crouch and Gerrard but hoping Fernando can score a double as well ;)
      Aussie E.S.P.N. have got the game live in New Zealand ,dont know if you get the same channel in OZ. I am going for Fernando and Kuyt to finish the job for us.Cheers
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #42: Apr 08, 2008 09:59:04 am
      The nervousness always starts on the day of the match. much as you think you ought to be used to it by now, you're never used to it.

Whatever team list Rafa Benitez presents, We can win this encounter with a 2 - 0 margin. It will be fun to strike at the core of Arsenal's confidence and cut them off in their 'Prime'.
      Kop-Of-Malaya
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | -4 
      • Kop The Best
      Reply #43: Apr 08, 2008 10:21:00 am
      Would Gerrard be playing in midfield?

I like the team but think we need to be careful to only have one guy holding in midfield - SG running back all the time?

Would have to fit Xabi in there somewhere me thinks... maybe bringing on Crouchy for Xabi if we need goals in the 2nd half...

I dont think so mate,if we play 5 mid,surely we always defend(only counter-attack),but,with crouchie,we can control the ball.Rafa styles of football need him as center of attacking.By the way,he really good in supporting Torres.I would wonder it.Finnan should be in the line-up if want develop  a strong defence(arbeloa not enough to stop Hleb).Well, my prediction would be 2-1
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #44: Apr 08, 2008 10:21:31 am
      The nervousness always starts on the day of the match. much as you think you ought to be used to it by now, you're never used to it.

So true matey!

I usually find going for a long run helps with the nerves ...all the way to the nearest pub/bar!

YNWA
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #45: Apr 08, 2008 10:23:33 am
      so right solodee...been emailing and calling my RED mates the whole day trying to calm down...the damn butterflies are here to stay...

WALK ON - YOU REDS!!!

Quick Reply