Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 10th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Rafa taunts??? mistake or not

Read 2731 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Rafa taunts??? mistake or not
      Apr 07, 2008 09:24:43 pm
      Rafa Benitez has taunted rivals Arsenal by suggesting that their bid for Premier League glory is over.

The Liverpool boss came away from Emirates Stadium on Saturday with a 1-1 draw, and feels that the result all-but ended the Gunners' dreams of taking the title.
      Benitez's own side have been out of the running domestically for weeks, but remain well on course to reach a third UEFA Champions League final in four years.

The Reds welcome Arsenal to Anfield for the second leg of their quarter-final encounter on Tuesday, safe in the knowledge that they were able to grab a crucial away goal during a 1-1 draw in North London last Wednesday.
      If, as Benitez predicts, European glory represents the only salvation for both sides this season, the midweek showdown on Merseyside promises to be a feisty occasion.

Trophy

"If they (Arsenal) want to win a trophy then it must be this game because it will be very difficult to win the Premier League," said the Spanish coach.

"Before the game on Saturday they knew they had to win to stay in the title race.

"He (Arsene Wenger) changed five players, but had to bring back his big players trying to win the game.

"Maybe afterwards he felt that the race for the title is over. But then United drew at Middlesbrough, so he will maybe think that their chance has returned.

"But I still believe this game at Anfield will be the most important match they have if they want to win a trophy."

Attack

Benitez added: "We are confident. We have been playing well in recent games and have been getting the results. The performances have been good. That is what we have been looking for at this stage of the season.

"But we are not favourites, not with the quality players they have. But this will be different from the first leg, because playing at Anfield is a massive difference.

"And they need to win. It could well be an attacking game. It is important for the club and for me to progress. We have been working hard to get to this point all season, so it is important for all of us.

"The Champions League is massive for them though, that is what they will be thinking about.

"And for us, we need to score. Arsenal can always score away so we cannot think of a 0-0."

Atmosphere

Benitez is also hoping that the Kop will able to spur his side on to victory, in much the same manner as they did during the famous 2005 and 2007 semi-finals against Chelsea.

"You could feel the atmosphere against Chelsea in the semi-final, and I expect that to be the same this time. Our fans can also hold the key," he said.

"I saw Chelsea affected by the Kop, it was clear. Hopefully it will be the same again.

"It is easy to say that you (Arsenal) do not have any problems with big crowds in away games of this importance. But when you have to face our fans for 90 minutes on top of you, then it is not easy for the majority of players.

"They have been here before. But the difference is the Champions League, it's knock-out now.

"This is our only option if we want to win anything. It is important for us, we need heart but also brain."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3397610,00.html

Im not so sure rafa should have taunted arsenal they'll already be fired up enough this might add fuel to the fire
      « Last Edit: Apr 07, 2008 10:32:11 pm by redkenny, Reason: Links to articles should be included »
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Re: Rafa taunts??? mistake or not
      Reply #1: Apr 07, 2008 09:41:48 pm
      I do not think it was a mistake. Great mind games from Rafa if you ask me. He is reminding Arsenal that it was us who ended thier title dreams and that it will be us who prevail on tuesday aswell!
      Also Arsenal can be fired up all they like....wait untill they step out at Anfield, they wont know whats hit them !
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #2: Apr 07, 2008 09:46:26 pm
      God, I hate headline writers.

"If they (Arsenal) want to win a trophy then it must be this game because it will be very difficult to win the Premier League,"

Is that "taunting" or is just stating the bloody obvious?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #3: Apr 07, 2008 10:02:48 pm
      good point but its gonna be a reason to be more fired up, they already know its unlikly without being reminded.. but im not worried dont get me wrong, just i dont think it gonna help, best let them stew in their own decline if you ask me
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Apr 07, 2008 10:13:54 pm
      Makes a change for our team to be the team doing the taunting. But I would'nt have thought it will have a negative effect because Rafa is good at making sure the players stay focussed.
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #5: Apr 07, 2008 10:16:58 pm
      Sounds like Rafa is just being honest, we all now and Arseanal now that the League is out of there grasp after the 1-1 draw with us. Dont think Rafa is trying to add fuel to the fire here for Tuesdays game at all, he could of come out with alot more then that as a taunt.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #6: Apr 07, 2008 10:31:59 pm
      I didnt particularly hear any taunting really.. Nothing compared to the kind of comments Taggart normally makes before crucial manure games.
      I think The Raffmiester is just stating the facts really.. He actually mentions that were not the favourites probably knowing like the rest of us that we perform better as slight underdawgs..
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #7: Apr 07, 2008 10:43:58 pm
      God, I hate headline writers.

"If they (Arsenal) want to win a trophy then it must be this game because it will be very difficult to win the Premier League,"

Is that "taunting" or is just stating the bloody obvious?

Nail on the head. Just lazy journalism isn't it.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8: Apr 08, 2008 08:43:01 am
      Bloody hell. Writers sound like they were bullied in primary school by some managers at times. Taunting? What next? Rafa ate your wowwypop?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #9: Apr 08, 2008 08:59:32 am
       Whatever RAFA said it will of been for the benefit of our players ,also to let them know they have his confidence.It was a trick of Bill Shankly to belittle opposition players to his REDS of the day and the lads went on to the pitch full of confidence.Since RAFA signed for us he has had to put up with managers ,the press and even our own owners trying to put him down so now he is giving them a dose of their own medicine. Good on you RAFA and here is hoping the lads finish the job for you.
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #10: Apr 08, 2008 09:19:50 am
      Like Invisable Man said It's just Rafa stating the obvious really.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #11: Apr 08, 2008 09:22:05 am
      To call what Rafa said is a "taunt" is not having a very good grasp of the english language... combined with being very desperate for an anti-Rafa (stir the Arse) headline.

Got to giggle, because that's all it's worth.

IRWT
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #12: Apr 08, 2008 09:32:56 am
      This is not taunts but friendly banter between two highly respected clubs, everyone knows that it's not to be taken the way it is reported it's just part of the build up to the game, a lil something to whet the appetite ;)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #13: Apr 08, 2008 09:38:04 am
      The game will be won on the pitch not on the back of cheap tabloids.

Very apprehensive about tonight, but it has feck all to do with these seriously offensive taunts...not.
      Durbanpoizn
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts | -1 
      Reply #14: Apr 08, 2008 09:40:23 am
      I do not think it was a mistake. Great mind games from Rafa if you ask me. He is reminding Arsenal that it was us who ended their title dreams and that it will be us who prevail on Tuesday aswell!
      Also Arsenal can be fired up all they like....wait until they step out at Anfield, they wont know whats hit them !

I couldn't of said it better myself. It about time Rafa started playing some mind games to really psyche the opposition out. BIG UP TO HIM.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #15: Apr 08, 2008 09:40:45 am
      Haha how desperate the papers are.

I do think rafa is wrong partly though they didnt have to win at the weekend to stay in the race as man u drew aswell so the gap is the same. And they have eachother next, arsenal win that and its pretty much back on again. I hope we knock them out of the champions league tonight but they go on to win the premier league this season and we go on to win the champions league.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #16: Apr 08, 2008 09:45:27 am
      Actually what Rafa is also saying is that Arsenal are not a bad team... and they could not win the prem league... rather like ourselves.

Liked the fact that Wenger paid Anfield such a great compliment too... in terms of noise levels on CL match days..."they are the noisiest fans in the country and have the most stamina".

Do us proud MsG, Eddie and Red0128.

YNWA

I will be at the LFC Madrid Branch (Triskel Cavern) along with another 50 or so (Cavern like cellar with a massive tv screen at one end and a bar at the other and loads of reds in between = heaven!)... screaming away (not that they can hear us in Anfield... but you've got to get rid of the nerves somehow!!)

MsGerrard
      Reply #17: Apr 08, 2008 10:07:43 am
      Actually what Rafa is also saying is that Arsenal are not a bad team... and they could not win the prem league... rather like ourselves.

Liked the fact that Wenger paid Anfield such a great compliment too... in terms of noise levels on CL match days..."they are the noisiest fans in the country and have the most stamina".

YNWA

I will be at the LFC Madrid Branch (Triskel Cavern) along with another 50 or so (Cavern like cellar with a massive tv screen at one end and a bar at the other and loads of reds in between = heaven!)... screaming away (not that they can hear us in Anfield... but you've got to get rid of the nerves somehow!!)

Don't worry we will Don  ;D

Blimey I'm so pumped up for this game tonight............can't wait.

It's going to be one of those magical  European nights  that Anfield is so famous for.

I'm sure NONE of the players will need reminding how important tonight is.

Anyway Rafa is to nice to taunt others ! :o

Rafa will have done his homework, and Arsenal, we are ready for you  ;D

Bring it on !!

For everyone who is going the match tonight............Let's cheer the Reds on to Victory

Enjoy the game where ever you are watching tonight.

COME ON LIVERPOOL

:kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf:
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #18: Apr 08, 2008 10:15:56 am

YNWA

I get ya. But they still could though.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #19: Apr 08, 2008 12:27:58 pm
      If Ferguson had said this would the press be reacting in the same way i think not.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #20: Apr 08, 2008 02:49:44 pm
      Good post Billy, I remember Shank's comments also, I think that Rafa reminds me of the great man more and more the longer he is here. To Don and all the rest of the Madrid branch, those of us at the game recognise and appreciate the world wide support you give our club so drink and enjoy because we all walk together.
      YNWA
      IRWT
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #21: Apr 09, 2008 02:44:14 pm
      who cares we won  !!
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #22: Apr 09, 2008 02:55:36 pm
      Whether Rafa was taunting them or not......all I know is that they were fired up before the game, started with a bang, and looked tired in the second half.

You can decide from that whether it was mind games or not....

Quick Reply