Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Thierry Henry (Barcelona)

Read 10383 times
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Re: Thierry Henry (Barcelona)
      Reply #138: Jun 18, 2008 04:56:36 pm
      Tut tut tut!!!.. hahaha
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #139: Jun 18, 2008 10:11:56 pm
      Well, do we really want and need Henry?

A) Negative points: (Germans always bring the negative points first :)):

1. Henry is almost 31 and considering that his real strength is to run fast into the lane for a pass that's a real problem, because usually with 30+ your speed decreases. IMO Henry descreased significantly over the last 2 years. Though he's still a very good player, he just slipped under the "world class player" level.

2. Henry has maybe 2 years left at top level...then he will basically retire. Is it worth to lure a guy to Liverpool (and spend a lot of cash on him) that has so little time left?

3. Henry is over 30, so one has to expect more injuries too.

4. Henry has already won the PL-title. It's just human, that one isn't that hungry anymore if one has had already the desired success. Is he still motivated the way Stevie or Carra are motivated???

(5. I don't know Henrys character, so I don't know if he could be a team cancer. But it's always risky to bring in a personality into a grown team. Henry could be competing with Stevie for the team leading role and could seriously damage Benitez if things aren't going its way. You don't have that kind of problems with 25 years-old-guys.)

B) Positive points:

1. Henry always praised Liverpool. He would be a player we can be proud of.

2. Henry has still an image that would be useful, because alone with his presence on the pitch he could bind 1-2 defenders more effectively than our nowaday-strikers besides Torres.

3. Henry (as far as I know) didn't have heavy injuries during the last couple of years and he didn't play a lot within the last year for Barca, so he should be kind of fresh.

C) Conclusion:

IMO Henry is a no-go if he really costs us big bucks. If we spend 10+ Mio. we should get a younger player that has a 5-10 year prospect. IF Henry is inexpensive and IF he's willing to show his desire to go to Anfield for real (i.e. is able to cut down his salary expectations a bit) than he's obviously a good choice. But again: Since Benitez chooses more younger players, I don't see Henry coming to Liverpool.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #140: Jun 19, 2008 12:04:05 am
      If Babel is meant to be the next Henry then surely actually having Henry at Liverpool would help Babel's learning curve and it would provide Nando with a striker who's record speaks for itself. Then when Henry does call it a day or moves on then Babel would hopefully be able to slot in and take his place with ease
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #141: Jun 19, 2008 02:28:59 am
      If Babel is meant to be the next Henry then surely actually having Henry at Liverpool would help Babel's learning curve and it would provide Nando with a striker who's record speaks for itself. Then when Henry does call it a day or moves on then Babel would hopefully be able to slot in and take his place with ease

Would be the perfect way for babel to improve. Henry is one of his idols and he looks upto him. He wants to follow in his footsteps and make the transition from winger to striker and i think he is fully capable. Henry is the type of player that helps to improve someone like babel's confidence, he did it for theo walcott before he left arsenal and he has dont it for bojan for barcelona while he's been there. Two young players that lacked confidence and needed someone to take them under their wing and teach them that they should have self confidence and they can become great. Its exactly what babel needs but where he will obtain it is another matter.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #142: Jun 19, 2008 10:04:04 am
      I totally agree Lil Cisse, I think Henry would improve alot of the younger players development, seeing them learn from a master. Even Torres would benefit as henry would no doubt have a few tips that Torres could use. Babel would love to have him here, and improve vastly.
      If we got him for aroun 6-8mil and lowish wages it would be a good deal IMO
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #143: Jun 19, 2008 10:13:10 am

Well said Kenny .Look at what Gary Mac did for Stevie !

Quick Reply