Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Thierry Henry (Barcelona)

Read 10385 times
      SuperSkrtel
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      Re: Thierry Henry (Barcelona)
      Reply #92: Jun 16, 2008 11:22:45 pm
      I agree I'm just being wildly optimistic.

Silva I'm going to say is already a done deal. Noticed he isn't being linked with ANYONE at all. No wild rumors linking him anywhere.
      Hope your right about Silva mate love to see him at Anfield next year bombing down the wing
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #93: Jun 16, 2008 11:25:36 pm
      I wouldnt say done deal because the Euros arent done yet, the better spain do the more interest in him, but i would love to see him on the left because thats the problem position for us IMO
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #94: Jun 16, 2008 11:31:58 pm
      I wouldnt say done deal because the Euros arent done yet, the better spain do the more interest in him, but I would love to see him on the left because thats the problem position for us IMO

What if Rafa got him before the Euros? Just remember this post at the end of the Euros.

Silva would bring a whole new dimention to our play. He has great pace and can go past players with ease. If not for Villas lightning start to the Euros I reckon Silva would be getting a lot more attention. Lethal left foot.

Staying on topic. If we couldn't get Villa. I wouldn't want someone like Sam "lethal head" Eto'o. Henry is professional and been there done that. There is a mutual respect between us as fans and him as an opposition player. Even if he is there for 2 seasons I think Torres would learn more from him than anyone could teach him on the training field.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #95: Jun 16, 2008 11:39:23 pm
      What if Rafa got him before the Euros? Just remember this post at the end of the Euros.

Silva would bring a whole new dimention to our play. He has great pace and can go past players with ease. If not for Villas lightning start to the Euros I reckon Silva would be getting a lot more attention. Lethal left foot.

Staying on topic. If we couldn't get Villa. I wouldn't want someone like Sam "lethal head" Eto'o. Henry is professional and been there done that. There is a mutual respect between us as fans and him as an opposition player. Even if he is there for 2 seasons I think Torres would learn more from him than anyone could teach him on the training field.

I dont think that nando has reallt learned from many people. He was the captain at athletico hence the actual teacher not the learner, from a very young age and hence has acheived his own style and not anyone elses and im glad thats happened. Henry could help with the younger talent such as nemeth and pachaeo and bruna however.
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #96: Jun 16, 2008 11:44:31 pm
      I dont think that nando has reallt learned from many people. He was the captain at athletico hence the actual teacher not the learner, from a very young age and hence has acheived his own style and not anyone elses and im glad thats happened. Henry could help with the younger talent such as nemeth and pachaeo and bruna however.

a coach of mine once said, once you've stopped learning, you may as well stop playing.

Torres still has plenty to learn. eg. how to handle being marked by two defenders such as Rio and Vidic as they totally played him out of both fixtures last seasons. Didn't really score a lot away from home either. Henry CAN teach him new aspects of his game.
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #97: Jun 16, 2008 11:54:39 pm
      a coach of mine once said, once you've stopped learning, you may as well stop playing.

Torres still has plenty to learn. eg. how to handle being marked by two defenders such as Rio and Vidic as they totally played him out of both fixtures last seasons. Didn't really score a lot away from home either. Henry CAN teach him new aspects of his game.
      spot on.

one never stops learning, be it re football or indeed life in general.

Torres has been awesome in his first season.  And given that most take the first year or two to bed-in, he is gonna be friggin out of this world when he starts to develop (and fine tune) his skills against the premeirship's defences.
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #98: Jun 16, 2008 11:57:21 pm
      16m for Henry or 20m for Barry? Which do YOU prefer?
      strange question, given that one plays midfield and the other is a striker.
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #99: Jun 17, 2008 12:04:38 am
      strange question, given that one plays midfield and the other is a striker.

Yes but look at it as one or the other. Or if you like, change the question a little. Who would bring more to the table (pitch) and take us closer to a challenge?
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #100: Jun 17, 2008 12:08:43 am
      Yes but look at it as one or the other. Or if you like, change the question a little. Who would bring more to the table (pitch) and take us closer to a challenge?
      it's a team game, mate.  In selling Alonso, it's obvious that we need to replace him.  David Villa isn't an option when it comes to filling that central midfield slot.

Our strikeforce is merely one element of the overall team. 

kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #101: Jun 17, 2008 12:36:25 am
      it's a team game, mate.  In selling Alonso, it's obvious that we need to replace him.  David Villa isn't an option when it comes to filling that central midfield slot.

Our strikeforce is merely one element of the overall team. 

See but now you have twisted my question simply to make a point of your own.

Our defense is one of the best in the league and has been for the last 6-7 seasons. With the addition of Dossena and the return to fitness of Agger that wont change any time soon.

Our midfield is jam packed with talent and with Alonso POSSIBLY going we still have, Monster, Lucas, Plessis to fill that gap. No reason why Lucas can't play there he did for large parts of the season.

Attacking midifled with gerrad and babel is healthy if not the best it could be, the addition of Silva will strengthen that.

It's the striking stakes that leave us short. Torres while bloody brilliant wont be much use if he gets injured. There is no way in hell Kuyt can fill those boots and Crouch looks to be gone. If we can't afford Villa then I would be more than happy for Henry to come and settle in alongside Torres. It would not hinder the team in any sense of the word.
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #102: Jun 17, 2008 12:56:08 am
      See but now you have twisted my question simply to make a point of your own.

Our defense is one of the best in the league and has been for the last 6-7 seasons. With the addition of Dossena and the return to fitness of Agger that wont change any time soon.

Our midfield is jam packed with talent and with Alonso POSSIBLY going we still have, Monster, Lucas, Plessis to fill that gap. No reason why Lucas can't play there he did for large parts of the season.
      Lucas is still developing.  If we lose Alonso, we only have Gerrard and Masch as our two established central midfielders.  That is threadbare imho

re defence....we really missed Agger last season.  But overall, our defence is pretty good.  It's by no means world class (you'd need pacy fullbacks who could overlap, to get to that level).

Attacking midifled with gerrad and babel is healthy if not the best it could be, the addition of Silva will strengthen that.
      when did we buy Silva?  Babel isn't a central midfielder (Gareth Barry is)

It's the striking stakes that leave us short. Torres while bloody brilliant wont be much use if he gets injured. There is no way in hell Kuyt can fill those boots and Crouch looks to be gone. If we can't afford Villa then I would be more than happy for Henry to come and settle in alongside Torres. It would not hinder the team in any sense of the word.
      nah, Henry at 16 million (or whatever he'd cost, not even counting is wages) wouldn't be good for us.  Much better to keep Crouch, than to spend that type of money on someone who's best days are long since behind them.
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #103: Jun 17, 2008 01:13:53 am
      Lucas is still developing.  If we lose Alonso, we only have Gerrard and Masch as our two established central midfielders.  That is threadbare imho

What's to say Lucas can't make that step up, Cesc did, why can't he? Confidence in the players.

re defence....we really missed Agger last season.  But overall, our defence is pretty good.  It's by no means world class (you'd need pacy fullbacks who could overlap, to get to that level).

That's what Degen and Dossena have been bought in for. I never used the terms World Class. But we aren't far away from it

when did we buy Silva?  Babel isn't a central midfielder (Gareth Barry is)
      nah, Henry at 16 million (or whatever he'd cost, not even counting is wages) wouldn't be good for us.  Much better to keep Crouch, than to spend that type of money on someone who's best days are long since behind them.

Silva will come, don't you worry my friend.
      given a choice now between the two I would take Henry any day. But that's just ME.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #104: Jun 17, 2008 01:18:37 am
      This is goiing to sound totally stupid but does anyone else think Henry is abit like Marmite? you either love him or you hate him
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #105: Jun 17, 2008 01:21:13 am
      This is goiing to sound totally stupid but does anyone else think Henry is abit like Marmite? you either love him or you hate him

Who else have you just said that about?

I think everyone likes him as an individual and everyone respects him as a player. I think the debate comes about with whether or not you think he still has something to offer.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #106: Jun 17, 2008 01:30:10 am
      Who else have you just said that about?

Havent said it about anyone else mate. Only thought of it because of the debate going on between you and dude abides ;)
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #107: Jun 17, 2008 01:39:38 am
      Havent said it about anyone else mate. Only thought of it because of the debate going on between you and dude abides ;)

Hmm, must have been someone else. I'm sure it's been said in the last day or two..

Whats a forum without a good debate aye!?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #108: Jun 17, 2008 01:44:12 am
      Hmm, must have been someone else. I'm sure it's been said in the last day or two..

Whats a forum without a good debate aye!?

It wasnt me that said it

If there are no debates on a forum then its probs not even a forum ;)
      Rafalutionary
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 118 posts |
      • Red Rafalutionary
      Reply #109: Jun 17, 2008 01:45:53 am
      Much better to keep Crouch than have Henry???  :lmao:

You must be absolutely off your rocker man..
      Henry anyday of the week over Crouch. If it was a toss up between Henry and Villa then it would be Villa. But Crouch?? No disrespect to the big guy, love him to bits but next to Henry, even at this age, hands down mate.. Henry every single time.

Oh and to answer 7-King Kenny-7, I love Marmite AND HENRY...  :f_tongueincheek:
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #110: Jun 17, 2008 02:00:05 am
      It wasnt me that said it

If there are no debates on a forum then its probs not even a forum ;)

It was superskirttle about Bentley. I knew I'd seen it some where.

Henry anyday of the week over Crouch. If it was a toss up between Henry and Villa then it would be Villa. But Crouch?? No disrespect to the big guy, love him to bits but next to Henry, even at this age, hands down mate.. Henry every single time.

Oh and to answer 7-King Kenny-7, I love Marmite AND HENRY...  :f_tongueincheek:

I'm with you mate. Henry has so many dangerous aspects to his play. For all his talent crouch also has a lot of pit falls. Can't header for peanuts, fairly slow. Can't really make something of nothing like Torres and Henry can.
      That isn't a dig at Crouch I just rate Henry so much higher on my preferred strikers list, tis all.
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #111: Jun 17, 2008 02:15:30 am

Henry's best days are long since behind him.  He's been piss poor at Barcelona and for France in Euro 2008, he's been off the pace as well. 

Maybe you want to sign folks who are way past their best, for major money....I don't see any value in it.  Arsenal have improved with Henry's departure......and Barca haven't improved since his arrival.

Crouch is obviously nowhere near as talented as a Henry was in his prime.  But Crouch can still score goals and he offers an aerial threat that opposing defences can find impossible to mark.  It would be madness to sell Crouch for 8 million and buy Henry for 16 million (with massive wages to also pay).
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #112: Jun 17, 2008 02:35:30 am
      Henry's best days are long since behind him.  He's been piss poor at Barcelona and for France in Euro 2008, he's been off the pace as well. 

In fairness the entire France squad has been pants at Euro.
      Maybe you want to sign folks who are way past their best, for major money....I don't see any value in it.  Arsenal have improved with Henry's departure......and Barca haven't improved since his arrival.

Crouch is obviously nowhere near as talented as a Henry was in his prime.  But Crouch can still score goals and he offers an aerial threat that opposing defences can find impossible to mark.  It would be madness to sell Crouch for 8 million and buy Henry for 16 million (with massive wages to also pay).

Thing with Crouch is, yeah he maybe tall, but does he really, I mean REALLY use that to effect?

Henry still posses all the skills that made, IMO, the greatest player to grace the Premier League, and from all accounts he hasn't lost any of his pace either. Other than this age he still a like for like player from the one which left only a year ago.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #113: Jun 17, 2008 06:47:41 am

This is the only point I really disagree on. After all:

Quote from: LFC.tv
      The Man behind the tremendous success of Fernando Torres is none other than Liverpool’s goalkeeping coach, Xavi Valero. Valero taught him what to expect when going against a goalkeeper and it has improved his finishing. Valero was a goalkeeper himself so his insight was really beneficial.

Torres spoke to the official site, “We’ve a Spanish goalkeeping coach and he has been a genius at telling me every week exactly what kind of task lies in front of me in the following match,” said Torres.

“Nobody has ever worked with me like this before. It’s outstanding. Basically, I know days before the next game exactly the best way to finish a chance against the keeper I’m about to face.”

“Xavi Valero tells me precisely what each keeper tends to do - stay big, go down early, if they have a preferred side they try to push you to. It’s vital information. I’ve refined the way I take chances as a result.”
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #114: Jun 17, 2008 10:22:53 am
      thanks for that quote from Torres, ayrton.

That is awesome focus on fine detail.  Rafa and his coaching team obviously leave very very little to chance.

Quick Reply