Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Liverpool v Arsenal CL (2nd Leg) Match Thread & Team News

Read 16671 times
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Re: Liverpool v Arsenal CL (2nd Leg) Match Thread & Team News
      Reply #230: Apr 09, 2008 01:43:03 pm
      Sore throat but who cares. I thought Skrtl & Kuyt were amazing and once again Rafa got his tactics spot on, lets not forget that's as good as Arsenal get and still we had too much for them, another great night :D
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #231: Apr 09, 2008 02:05:03 pm
      Great post Tommo a perfect summing up of the match, what a game it was absolutely knackering to watch. I can't hear anything in one ear (cheers Eddie) lost my mobile when Torres scored (thanks to the bloke who found it)

A truly amazing European night at Anfield the place was rocking truly the twelfth man :kop5cf8koxp6:. It is difficult to pick a man of match, for me Sami just edges it for a brilliant performance and a sublime header that turned the game.

It was great to put faces to names and share a Panda pop in the Sandon and the football wasn't bad either.
       :lmao:
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #232: Apr 09, 2008 02:11:01 pm
      MoM - Kuyt no doubt. Grafted his cojones off...

Skrtel close 2nd.  Sami very close 3rd. Carra close 4th, 5th, 6th.... (team of...)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #233: Apr 09, 2008 02:15:14 pm
      Funniest video of last night's match...

Iranian sports match commentator going through Arsenal first goal (finish with the right leg) ...followed by details of Sami's SUPERB HEADER during last nights game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO9BOPUZ0Uw

(Not very PC, I know, but ever so funny all the same!!)

« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2008 02:27:12 pm by donrafael »
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #234: Apr 09, 2008 03:18:26 pm
      can I also add that I thought Riise accepting the high 5 from the fella in the Kemlyn last night when he was going to get the ball for a throw was a nice touch. Fair play John

I noticed that too ! Must've been a third eye moment !! ;D
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #235: Apr 09, 2008 03:27:34 pm
      Funniest video of last night's match...

Iranian sports match commentator going through Arsenal first goal (finish with the right leg) ...followed by details of Sami's SUPERB HEADER during last nights game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO9BOPUZ0Uw

(Not very PC, I know, but ever so funny all the same!!)

I can't hear that but it looks funny as F**k! ;D
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #236: Apr 09, 2008 03:32:48 pm
      What a game what more can you say it was one of those nights again,I thought we were out when Adebayor scored,how wrong  was I?Bring on Chelsea.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #237: Apr 09, 2008 04:06:06 pm
      What ... a ... game. My heart was in my mouth the whole time!

Torres is an absolute GENIUS! I have never known anyone such as him to be surrounded by three defenders, and score from nothing!

His armband proved he was a Red!
      Torres! Torres!
      "You'll Never Walk Alone," it said;
      Torres! Torres!
      We bought the lad from sunny Spain,
      He gets the ball, he scores again!
      Fernando Torres, Liverpool's number 9

Did everyone see Kuyt running non-stop down the flanks? He was the best player on the field yesterday. He was the Man-of-the-Match for me, as he was constantly going up to attack when needed ... back to defence when needed. Statistics indicated he ran over 14'000m. The team average was around 10'000m. Just shows you how much heart the Dutch have! Good on you, Kuyt!

I'm just incredibly pleased we got through to the Semi's for the third time in four years! We, as a team, are arguably the best in Europe - and our fans make it that much easier, even when we're away! They are the 12th man, the heart to our team. I saw football in a new light in the new year. Before that, I didn't care as much - but now I know what people go on about when they mention football. The sheer passion and enthusiasm with which they speak about it ... it's now mine. I have that same passion, that same enthusiasm, and I'm never going to let it go, not even on my death bed. I can swear to you all, my last words on this Earth will be,

"You'll Never Walk Alone"
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #238: Apr 09, 2008 04:19:19 pm
      What ... a ... game. My heart was in my mouth the whole time!

Torres is an absolute GENIUS! I have never known anyone such as him to be surrounded by three defenders, and score from nothing!

His armband proved he was a Red!
      Torres! Torres!
      "You'll Never Walk Alone," it said;
      Torres! Torres!
      We bought the lad from sunny Spain,
      He gets the ball, he scores again!
      Fernando Torres, Liverpool's number 9

Did everyone see Kuyt running non-stop down the flanks? He was the best player on the field yesterday. He was the Man-of-the-Match for me, as he was constantly going up to attack when needed ... back to defence when needed. Statistics indicated he ran over 14'000m. The team average was around 10'000m. Just shows you how much heart the Dutch have! Good on you, Kuyt!

I'm just incredibly pleased we got through to the Semi's for the third time in four years! We, as a team, are arguably the best in Europe - and our fans make it that much easier, even when we're away! They are the 12th man, the heart to our team. I saw football in a new light in the new year. Before that, I didn't care as much - but now I know what people go on about when they mention football. The sheer passion and enthusiasm with which they speak about it ... it's now mine. I have that same passion, that same enthusiasm, and I'm never going to let it go, not even on my death bed. I can swear to you all, my last words on this Earth will be,

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

Welcome to the Red Family Brother!

Y.N.W.A.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #239: Apr 09, 2008 04:26:51 pm
      Thanks donrafael - I hope to be here for a looonnnggg time.

But perhaps I should change the Torres chant to;

We brought the lad to the Arsenal game,
      He did the job, and scored again!
      liverpoologic
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #240: Apr 09, 2008 04:46:50 pm
      Arsenal fans can argue that they were tired but that's just fitness.

Hate to mention another club but look at spurs this season - much fitter than most.

Also the first half was so fast most of the players were exhausted by the end.

Kuyt was class, and his fitness levels are incredible, he never gave up.
      Skrtl had a gr8 nite too, Sami aswell.

Well dun 2 anyone in the crowd at anfield, sadly i cudnt make it myself.
      u really were a twelfth man.

also credit to Riise hu did his job - after the 2nd arsenal goal walcott didnt get the ball at all

BRING ON CHELSEA

YNWA!!!!
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #241: Apr 09, 2008 04:55:51 pm

'Cos now we're gunning for the Chavs!

mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #242: Apr 09, 2008 05:36:21 pm
      It's funny to think that only a few weeks back, Arsenal were being touted to win all 4 competitions.
      Now there season is over.
      And our season has just started to gain momentum.

Last night was a very small piece of payback for their title victory back in 1989.

Let's now look towards the semi's, and hopefully look to hit Moscow for '6' !!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #243: Apr 09, 2008 05:50:01 pm
      Isn't it just funny. The two keepers for Chelsea are sidelined with injuries, They have only a third keeper available. Essien is also banned. We should strive to kill them off in Anfield.

Just you watch solodee, they will 'suddenly' be fit for our matches  ;)
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #244: Apr 09, 2008 05:57:59 pm
      'Cos now we're gunning for the Chavs!

LMFAO!! Top Crazy Horse!!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #245: Apr 09, 2008 06:10:48 pm
      Don't Know if this has been mentioned before, but in my opinion the difference between the two pens was simple, the gooner was already looking at the ref with his arms out before he hit the floor, unlike Babel who stumbled and then fell, and not once did not look at the ref and plead that he has just been scythed.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #246: Apr 09, 2008 07:18:41 pm
      Don't Know if this has been mentioned before, but in my opinion the difference between the two pens was simple, the gooner was already looking at the ref with his arms out before he hit the floor, unlike Babel who stumbled and then fell, and not once did not look at the ref and plead that he has just been scythed.

Very good point and also did you see toure he was so clumbsy his reaction just couldn't be missed (this was a supposedly quality defender) and also there were two players committing fouls on Babbel even though its the toure tug that counts.  I do think they were both penalty's though, but this one was very hard to get away from it was too animated by Toure his arms were everywhere, he lost his positioning and then his head!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #247: Apr 09, 2008 08:27:05 pm
      Just finally got back home, still grinning from ear to ear ;D

I need to watch the match again on telly to form a proper opinion on certain things but there were a few things that really stood out for me last night:

1) When the Arsenal fans started singing 'Where's your famous atmosphere?' the rest of Anfield drowning them out with 'Where's your European Cups?' :D

2) Sami Hyypia. Write him off at your peril, this guy is a true Liverpool legend, and last night he once again showed us all why.

3) Pepe Reina. When Arsenal equalised quite a few players dropped to the floor & certainly looked to be beaten. Not Pepe, who ran round dragging everyone back up to their feet & got everyone going again.

4) Ryan Babel. He may have only had about 10 minutes, but I would still class this as his best performance in a Liverpool shirt. I'm certain if this game had been at the start of the season he would've got muscled off the ball for that last goal, the lad has come on leaps & bounds & will only get better.

5) Pepe Reina (again). I will never forget the sight of Pepe sprinting the full length of the pitch to celebrate our fourth goal.

6) Ste_Macca. I'm not gonna show you up, but you know what you did last night. Funny f**ker, you had me in stitches :D

Obviously I'm delighted with the result, and just for a change we've got Chelsea in the semi's again. Had a brilliant time, the atmosphere was electric throughout & every fan inside that stadium played their part last night. It was good to put faces to a few names off the forum too, all in all just a top notch night.

solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #248: Apr 09, 2008 09:30:14 pm

Just you watch solodee, they will 'suddenly' be fit for our matches  ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if that happened. It was however on the news, something about a clause that allows a team to bring an emergency keeper in case the registered keepers get hurt.

Bottom line, we will kill them off at Anfield.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #249: Apr 09, 2008 10:02:05 pm
      Were in another Semi... guess that means Kewell is nearly match fit again :lmao:
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #250: Apr 09, 2008 10:11:54 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if that happened. It was however on the news, something about a clause that allows a team to bring an emergency keeper in case the registered keepers get hurt.

We could lend them Charlie. >:D
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #251: Apr 09, 2008 10:13:04 pm

They can have him for free !!  ;)
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #252: Apr 09, 2008 10:18:00 pm
      They can have him for free !!  ;)

Just the mention of free charlie will have all the chavski fans foamin at the mouth!!

Quick Reply