Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Benitez wants talks with the board 'within hours'

Read 4331 times
      Yawaray
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -2 
      Re: Benitez wants talks with the board 'within hours'
      Reply #46: Apr 14, 2008 03:56:35 pm
      Hicks is sh*t, it is often said that it it better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts. Hicks has removed all doubts that he is a fool. We are all behind Benitez and if some1 has to leave it has to be Hicks. Are yankees really stupid? it has to be proven by this son of theirs. This is not an icehockey team so warn him off. Benitez is building a generation. Hicks is trying to break it down> F**k hicks
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #47: Apr 14, 2008 03:56:39 pm
      So it's just coming up to 4PM.  Rafa is still our Manager?  Yes.

Has he met with the board yet?  We haven't got a clue.

Hmm...
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #48: Apr 14, 2008 04:25:12 pm
      If it proves true that the board continue to sound out Klinsmann over Rafa's transfer targets, then Rafa's gone simple as.

Where did you read that mate?

I.R.W.T.

If Jürgen is such a good talent judge why didn't he spot Skrtel then?...or... or... or... or... or... or...
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #49: Apr 14, 2008 04:31:23 pm
      Sky now saying Hicks met with Jürgen TWICE - once in California, once in NY...

...and that Rafa will decide his future at the club when the curent CL campaign is over.

That does - not - sound good at all.

Real Madrid in the wings... ??????

I.
      R.
      W.
      T.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #50: Apr 14, 2008 04:32:13 pm
      Sky have the biggest wooden spoon...

take no notice until we hear more later on.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #51: Apr 14, 2008 04:33:22 pm
      Just heard on the radio our 'chief exec' will speak to Benitez.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #52: Apr 14, 2008 04:40:05 pm
      Backing up my evidence...

Quote from: The Telegraph
      Rick Parry open to meeting with Benitez
      Rick Parry, the Liverpool chief executive, has acted swiftly in an attempt to diffuse the latest crisis to envelop the club by offering to meet with Rafeal Benitez to discuss the manager's position.

Last night, Benitez had demanded an immediate showdown with Liverpool's American co-owners and said he felt his position had been "undermined" following revelations of Parry's presence in a meeting with Jürgen Klinsmann. It remains to be seen if Parry's offer will be taken up and whether he has the necessary authority to smooth Benitez's freshly ruffled feathers though the Anfield chief executive was adamant in his wilingness to discuss the situation.

"I am more than happy to sit down and talk to Rafa about this," Parry told the Liverpool Echo.

Having steered a delicate course through the Anfield civil war, Benitez broke cover following his side's 3-1 victory over Blackburn yesterday and stressed his urgent need for answers over the club's approach to Klinsmann and desire to get feuding co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett together in the same room as Parry.

"It was a surprise to read about some meetings," Benitez said. "I need to talk with the board and clarify the situation and I want to do that as soon as possible. I was surprised with the people that were in the meeting.

"It's not the first time I knew about the meeting, but about the people that were in the meeting. I feel my position is being undermined and that is why I want to clarify the situation.

"I need to speak to all of them, preferably all at the same time. They were in a meeting together, so I need to know something more. I will ask some questions."

The latest revelations cast Benitez's future at the club into fresh doubt. Klinsmann, the former Germany coach, will become Bayern Munich manager this summer, but had met with the club's owners earlier this season over the possibility of following Benitez at Anfield.

The first of these is reported to have taken place in New York with the Liverpool chief executive present. However, it is understood that Parry was not present at a subsequent meeting with Klinsmann in California.

Although Hicks went public on the situation in January, his weekend revelation regarding Parry has clearly angered Benitez. Until now, Benitez has attempted to tread a delicate path through the boardroom disputes, yet his latest move would seem a significant blow to Parry so soon after Hicks' demand that he should resign as chief executive.

Despite the off-field distractions, Liverpool remain on course for fourth place in the Premier League following yesterday's win against Blackburn.

"For me, it's more important to stop all the talking and concentrate on the games," Benitez said though it is becoming increasingly clear that the ongoing ownership saga at the club is starting affect the Spaniard.

The latest outbreak of unrest in a season of behind the scenes turmoil at Liverpool came after Hicks criticised Parry and said he would ask co-owner George Gillett to back his plans to fire the chief executive. But the call is likely to fall on deaf ears as Gillett said last month his relationship with fellow American Hicks had broken down.

The two co-owners are at loggerheads after takeover talks with Dubai International Capital (DIC) broke down earlier this year. Hicks had accused Parry of arrogance over the weekend and repeated his calls for him to leave Anfield.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #53: Apr 14, 2008 04:40:36 pm

...and that Rafa will decide his future at the club when the curent CL campaign is over.

I.
      R.
      W.
      T.

Come on Don would you stay?
      Three CL semi finals in four years, and your treated in this manner.
      He's had his kecks pulled down and his arse slapped in public.
      His mind is made up, believe me.

The whole f***in mess reminds me of "I Claudius"
      « Last Edit: Apr 14, 2008 04:47:47 pm by neilh2105 »
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #54: Apr 14, 2008 04:58:55 pm
      Come on Don would you stay?
      Three CL semi finals in four years, and your treated in this manner.
      He's had his kecks pulled down and his arse slapped in public.
      His mind is made up, believe me.

The whole f***in mess reminds me of "I Claudius"

YES I WOULD STAY... BUT I AM AN UNCONDITIONAL FAN... NOT A SCREWED EMPLOYEE.

...and I would have thought Rafa would think about that magnificent group of talented youngsters HE has assembled for the future.

Maybe he just can't work under these guys anymore - his pride must of kicked-in big time.

I have said before, he really has not looked WELL recently... very stressed - and putting on a ton of weight to boot... both combined is not good... the man is a young man, with young kids... his missus Montse just might be saying, enough is enough here...

There is a saying in Spain...roughly translated:

"If you lie to my face once, how do I ever know when you are actually telling the truth - ever again"

Feeling desperate... I know NO INDIVIDUAL is bigger than our club... but Rafa leaving would set us back many, many years. Convinced.

Another factor could be that it was leaked in the Spanish sporting press last week that Juande Ramos at Spuds earns more money than Rafa at LFC... that must hurt Rafa when he compares track-records and size of clubs ...I really do hope this is all about a contract extension and not about a contract termination post CL campaign - I really do.

I am beginning to fear the worst now though....because if this is left to patronising Parry to sort out with Rafa, because Hicks and Gillett are too busy... then he is as good as gone when the CL is over.

GIVE THE MAN A CONTRACT EXTENSION YOU BUNCH OF VAGINAS!!!!! HE HAS BEEN ASKING FOR IT SINCE JANUARY!!!!!

I.R.W.T.
      liverpool5times
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #55: Apr 14, 2008 05:07:07 pm
      with hicks and gillet not even on speaking terms  i just cant see a quick  end to this . hope rafa dosnt jump ship the club would go backwards .maybe after chelsea game we should all stay in stadium to show support for rafa
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #56: Apr 14, 2008 05:10:53 pm

I.
      R.
      W.
      T.

Whether it was once or twice, what difference does it make ?  Rafa knew that meetings had been held and the presence of Rick Parry is not going to make any difference now.  I think Rafa just needs some honest answers. 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #57: Apr 14, 2008 05:11:13 pm
      I'm confused.. I thought everyone (Gillete/Hicks/Parry) was implicated in the Klinsmann meeting? Thats the first time I've heard that only Hicks was supposed to be involved..

You and me both Chico.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #58: Apr 14, 2008 05:12:21 pm
      Feeling desperate... I know NO INDIVIDUAL is bigger than our club... but Rafa leaving would set us back many, many years. Convinced.

It wouldn't be good, no question.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #59: Apr 14, 2008 11:27:07 pm
      I'm going to try and see some positives in the whole situation.Obviously things are far from good off the pitch. In fact ,on the face of it, damn right abysmal but not a complete nightmare. The team spirit is good and they are playing well. Rafa can see that his work is paying off. What if he did walk at the end of the season and then Hicks sold mid summer, DIC came in and Rafa ends up in Spain looking over his shoulder thinking 'why didn't I wait'? He knows that this situation can't go on like this for much longer and somethings got to give.He must sit tight and wait but also deal with the board now that he is in a stronger situation.

Think back to the whole fiasco when Benitez's job was on the line. Now we are in a different situation where Hicks is trying to weaken the solidarity formed recently between Parry and Gillette by dishing the dirt on Parry to undermine this group. Hicks wants Parry out as he feels outnumbered.  Last night,I was all for Parry being removed but he might ironically be a good thing in the short term. Like people have said above, the last thing we want is Hicks getting his own man in.  Right now there is a power game going on between Hicks and Gillette with Parry now being used as a significant 'Pawn'.Long term though, Parry's days are numbered whatever the outcome but for the moment there is a stalemate and neither side can outmanouver the other. I think in the long run this situation will resolve itself and as long as Benitez sits tight and the team keeps playing well I think he'll stay. If Rafa was going to walk we would soon see this reflected in the teams performances and also, why would he want to hint at walking and undermine a CL semi final? Surely it's to negotiate a new contract?
       I hope and pray that this cancerous Hicks is removed unconditionally, that the integrity and work of Benitez is respected and allowed to flourish and that the club returns to conducting it's affairs in dignity behind closed doors.
      « Last Edit: Apr 15, 2008 08:58:12 am by LondonRed »

Quick Reply