Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

What players do you admire and why? (non LFC)

Read 13719 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      What players do you admire and why? (non LFC)
      Apr 17, 2008 12:19:34 am
      Gennaro Gattuso - He's got such an aggression but in a good way if you know what I mean. He trys to keep everything clean but he plays with that extra aggression which intimidates his opponents. You could see last season in the Champions League semi final, Milan vs Man Utd at the San Siro - Ronaldo had to change to the other flank because he couldn't handle Gatusso that night! Quality!

I love players when they play with aggression. Not in the sense of Duncan Ferguson who just wanted to thump anyone who came close to him, but in the sense of 100% determination and hard clean tackles! I think Mascherano will turn out like this but maybe without the gob.

With players like Kaka, Ronaldo & Ronaldinho you have natural world class ability, but with Gatusso you've got determination and aggression and I love to watch that in football for a change.

Destroyed Cristiano Ronaldo >:D
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: What players do you admire and why? (non LFC)
      Reply #1: Apr 17, 2008 12:25:24 am
      Gaby Heinze, for all his attempts to play for us & being the first person in years to have the balls to stand up to Fergie (That includes those pricks at the FA).
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #2: Apr 17, 2008 01:13:58 am
      Gaby Heinze, for all his attempts to play for us & being the first person in years to have the balls to stand up to Fergie (That includes those pricks at the FA).

Yeah that is definitely true! He must of hated Alex Ferguson and I can see why! That spikefull purple nosed b***ard!
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #3: Apr 17, 2008 05:11:41 pm
      He is a player who anyone can say really. But regardless outside of Liverpool offcourse , Zinedine Zidane is my footballing hero. The best player of my generation i think. Ronaldinho dosent come close.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #4: Apr 17, 2008 07:07:37 pm
      Suppose i can say micheal owen, dont care what others think of MO but he was the one that got me into football, the first ever goal i saw was his goal against argentina, and i never looked back
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #5: Apr 17, 2008 07:45:17 pm
      Thierry Henry

Used to love watching him for the Arsenal, struggling at Barca now though, been linked with a return to England.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #6: Apr 17, 2008 08:17:03 pm
      Have to agree with Thierry Henry he set the premiership alight at times and he spoke of our club with affection.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #7: Apr 17, 2008 08:21:31 pm
      Thierry Henry

Used to love watching him for the Arsenal, struggling at Barca now though, been linked with a return to England.

Do you know why he's struggling? It's because he's too one dimensional. Afterall, he did play most of his career under Arsene Wenger...
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      Reply #8: Apr 17, 2008 08:32:07 pm
      Cheeky ;D

Still, a great talent and if he does stay in Spain am sure he can get back to his best because he is that good.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #9: Apr 17, 2008 10:07:21 pm
      Henry is an obvious choice, I also admire Messi simply because he's such a talent at such a young age. I think I've also got to mention players who excel at controlling the game, the likes of Pirlo, Riquelme come to mind. In terms of Premiership players I'd say Arteta, Fabregas, Hleb, Flamini and Robbie Keane are all players I admire. They're all talented, and Keane especially as he has such a love for the game.

I think Gattuso is a loud-mouth tit and he should learn to keep his gob shut.
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #10: Apr 17, 2008 11:54:39 pm
      Joaquin, Valencia's player.

He is a greatest winger,and he is "betico"(betis supporter[I'm betis supporter]).He's very nice,funny and graceful.

I remember him as the best winger of betis
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      Reply #11: Apr 18, 2008 01:15:48 am
      I used to love watching Dennis Bergkamp...pure silky quality. I'll never forget that goal against Newcastle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/waWxBUPc8hE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/waWxBUPc8hE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #12: Apr 18, 2008 01:17:50 am
      Hey AussieRed.

I remember watching that game live and when Dennis Bergkamp scored it "I though, is that going to count as it's that good" haha
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      Reply #13: Apr 18, 2008 01:31:26 am
      It was just amazing Ra Ra...couldn't believe it when he did it. It was my all time favourite goal up until Fernando joined us.... ;)
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #14: Apr 18, 2008 01:42:31 am
      I admire Richard Dunne. For a man that gets no credit he works like a beast. He really does give 110% for Man City. You could even call him their Carragher ! The other week he played a game with seven stitches in his leg ! In my opinion he's been one of the best full backs in the premiership this season but nobody gives him praise !!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #15: Apr 18, 2008 01:42:41 am
      Another two I'd have to say are Roberto Carlos and Cafu. These two fullbacks are legends and probably the best fullbacks I've ever watched!

Cafu was better than Daniel Alves will ever be! 156 caps for Brazil, now is that amazing or what?
      Roberto Carlos, 125 caps for Brazil and still yet to see a better wing back then him! Fierce shot, lightning pace, strong!

Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #16: Apr 18, 2008 01:45:10 am
      Roberto Carlos, 125 caps for Brazil and still yet to see a better wing back then him! Fierce shot, lightning pace, strong!

Not bad for a midget ay ?? ;D ;D
      johnbarnes10
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts | -23 
      Reply #17: Apr 18, 2008 06:59:40 am
      I know i'm going to get hammered for this but on pure football talent its our MANC/BLUE fat lad!! Forgetting the person/politics he is pure class and will run all day! sorry YNWA!

All time - ZIDANE by a country mile pure talent, stopped watching madrid after he left,I used to hope and pray the HOULLIER might have had some influence over him to bring him our way ;D The closest we got was CHEYROU!!;D
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #18: Apr 18, 2008 01:58:58 pm
      I know i'm going to get hammered for this but on pure football talent its our MANC/BLUE fat lad!! Forgetting the person/politics he is pure class and will run all day! sorry YNWA!

What has he actually done lately though? He's living off reputation, it's obviously too soon to write him off but it's been an awful long time since he's actually put together a run of world class performances. I'm not saying he's sh*t, he's obviously still a decent player, but he hasn't performed like the world beater he's supposed to be for quite some time.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #19: Apr 18, 2008 02:10:31 pm
      Arsenal in recent years have had a lot of players that I really admired. Bergkamp probably more than the rest, he was just so technically gifted, but also Overmars, Viera and Henry. And today I can't help but admire Fabregas and v. Persie. Dissappointing to see van Persie injured so often because he really reminds me of Bergkamp and I think that at his best he really lights up the league
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #20: Apr 18, 2008 02:14:02 pm
      I think Gianfranco Zola deserves a mention somewhere in this thread too, some of the things he used to do with the ball at his feet were just pure magic. Because of him I did used to have a bit of a soft spot for Chelsea pre-Abramovich, but Mourinho soon took care of that :D
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #21: Apr 18, 2008 02:17:49 pm
      Viera for me.....

He used to boss midfield like no other. It took Arsenal a while to recover from selling him. He had a hand in Dennis Berkamp's famous goal against newcastle (the commentator said, "Robert.......mugged by Viera") , which for me summarised his game.

Awesome player
      johnbarnes10
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts | -23 
      Reply #22: Apr 18, 2008 03:37:33 pm
      I agree that recently he has been distincltly average and I am not going to sit here and defend him but the question was not based on recent form .
      What has he actually done lately though? He's living off reputation, it's obviously too soon to write him off but it's been an awful long time since he's actually put together a run of world class performances. I'm not saying he's sh*t, he's obviously still a decent player, but he hasn't performed like the world beater he's supposed to be for quite some time.

Quick Reply