Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Chelsea v Liverpool - CL Semi Final Match Thread

Read 28737 times
      hex85uk
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 57 posts |
      Re: Chelsea v Liverpool - CL Semi Final Match Thread
      Reply #322: May 01, 2008 07:43:01 am
      I think Benitez has cost us the Champions League.  For three reasons
      1. Playing Risse today was such a poor decision, I thought we had all agreed that he should not be let anywhere near any important games.
      2. Not bringing Crouch on, an even worse decision than not playing Crouch in the first place.
      3. Taking Torres off, knowing he is capable of great things and taking him off was meekly surrendering the match.

He played Risse last night because of injuries to other players. He didnt bring Crouch on because he had already used his subs. He took Torres off because he was injured. From what I heared he had a pulled hamstring. To be honest i think we played excellent and just came up short. We should be proud of what we have done and not put the blame on certain people
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #323: May 01, 2008 08:22:38 am
      1. Playing Risse today was such a poor decision, I thought we had all agreed that he should not be let anywhere near any important games.
      2. Not bringing Crouch on, an even worse decision than not playing Crouch in the first place.
      3. Taking Torres off, knowing he is capable of great things and taking him off was meekly surrendering the match.

All quiet again on your Utd forum Barry?
      tooty100
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #324: May 01, 2008 08:46:33 am
      hi all first post here.
      absolutely gutted as im sure every Liverpool fan is, agree with a lot of the comments here, the lads did us proud we had too many injuries at the back and not enough depth in squad to fill em,
      One thing i did wonder re the 1st half was it a tatic by rafa to try and contain chelsea for it?
      just i know how we play and once we get the goal we tend to take our foot off the pedal.
      Just wonder if Rafa thought a goal in the 2nd half would make it easier to control the game than have to try and control it for 90 minutes?
      maybe im just pis*sing in the wind ;D

ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #325: May 01, 2008 09:05:40 am
      Morning everyone. I wasn't going to come on today because I didn't want to post anything in the heat of the moment, but in the end I needed to see what everyone else thought of the result. Obviously gutted, the first half was pretty terrible, it was anyone's fault in particular. It reminded me a bit of the first half against Man Utd at Old Trafford, they didn't outplay us that much, it was more that we let them do it and couldn't string our passes together.

I thought last night that we were robbed, they got their penalty and we didn't get ours, but I've come to terms with it this morning. After all, many people say we had the luck of the penalty decisions against Arsenal, this time it was against us. What did bug me though was the reaction of the referee, who stuck his whistle in his mouth like he was ready to blow, then took it out again straight away as though he'd changed his mind. I don't know if he commented on the decision he made after the match?

There are positives to take from the match though. We made plenty of chances, our second half performance was excellent IMO, we just weren't clinical enough on the night. We were unlucky that Skrtel got injured, once he went off we were lacking pace in defence, and we were definitely missing Aurelio on the left. I'm glad our boys made us proud, they never let their heads go down, even at 3-1 we were fighting on, and I'm sure all our fans appreciated that.

Thanks to Rafa and the boys for this great Champion's League run. We can't win them all, even if we want to, but the great thing with this side is that even when we're behind you can never write them off. Some great memories this year, away at Marseille, and the matches against Inter and Arsenal. Great points to build upon, here's to next year's run and number 6 coming home!

YNWA
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #326: May 01, 2008 09:21:19 am
      Gutted! 

They were there for the taking in the second half and we missed the boat BIGTIME !

I'm not going to get into what Rafa did wrong - but he made some fundamental tactical errors.

1. Yossi, should not have gone off.  How can you deliver the magic for the goal and then get substituted ?  Fecking Idiot tactics if yoy ask me !

2. Rafa, must have been thinking of penalties in keeping Kuyt on the field - which is very negative...as we was so in control in the 2nd half.

3. Babel, should have been brought on much earlier - again negative tactics.

4. Gerrard should be playing in the middle with Masch - he is wasted in that free role.

Gutted!
      solodee

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #327: May 01, 2008 11:01:43 am

Skrtel's injury was the big problem, because that meant one of our sub was necessitated by an injury. We had only two spots left then. So Crouch could not come on since Pennant and Babel had been used.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #328: May 01, 2008 11:03:39 am
      Does no else else think we've improved in attack but have gone down hill defensively?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #329: May 01, 2008 11:05:35 am
      Gutted! 

They were there for the taking in the second half and we missed the boat BIGTIME !

I'm not going to get into what Rafa did wrong - but he made some fundamental tactical errors.

1. Yossi, should not have gone off.  How can you deliver the magic for the goal and then get substituted ?  Fecking Idiot tactics if yoy ask me !

2. Rafa, must have been thinking of penalties in keeping Kuyt on the field - which is very negative...as we was so in control in the 2nd half.

3. Babel, should have been brought on much earlier - again negative tactics.

4. Gerrard should be playing in the middle with Masch - he is wasted in that free role.

Gutted!

You made some good points there Richobaz, I aren't going to conradict you much! Especially the first one - I don't see why we took our foot off the accelerator after we scored in the second half. We had them right where we wanted them, we were controlling the game and creating all the chances, whilst they weren't managing to break us down. I know the players must have been worried to get caught on the counter-attack, but it isn't an excuse. They should have thought positively, that if we had gone 2-1 up, Chelsea would have needed 2 goals to knock us out.

I agree as well that Benayoun should have stayed on. He was the only player managing to run at their defence with any success, just look at the goal. He can beat a player, something that is missing from our general play. He was attracting the defenders and creating openings, and for me he was one of our best players during the match.

I aren't going to write off Rafa's choice of tactics though. We don't know which players might have a small injury hindering them, or what levels of fatigue they have etc. After all, he was the one who got us to the semis in the first place, it was just a shame to not continue our dominance of the second half and go after the win 100% during the 90 minutes.
      solodee

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      Reply #330: May 01, 2008 11:06:37 am
      Does no else else think we've improved in attack but have gone down hill defensively?

I dont agree. Our defense line has been good. Skrtel's and Arbeloa's were injured.

*EDIT*

Skrtel and Aurelio
      « Last Edit: May 01, 2008 12:28:44 pm by solodee »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #331: May 01, 2008 11:27:20 am
      I did not watch the game, as I did my usual head in the sand bit, Don't have ago as it has worked before.
      Quit disapointed that we are not going to Moscow and now have to cheer our concours on. But on the bright side, any fan disturbace in Moscow would have been placed straight on our door, look at Athens, and with this farcical visa bussiness it shows that Uefa are idiots and can not orginise a p!$$ up in a brewery, why pick a place that you need a visa to go to and only leave 3 weeks to get things sorted. Years they have had to get this arranged and they have done f@@k all.
      So again it may be the best as I'm sure there would have been trouble with the scum and we would have got the blame, and knowing Platinis love of Liverpool he would have done his best to see us kicked out.

If the Scum win you know of course that the CL will be the hardest thing to win and they will have won it "twice" and ourselves only "once"

I wish Avram Grant all the best in what will probablly be his last game as a Chelsea Manager, Remember it is in Moscow, the Home land of Britains richest resident.
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #332: May 01, 2008 11:32:12 am
      The question now is, although it's painful to say:

Who Do We Want To Win It In Moscow?

I hate both of the sides with a passion, but i hate United the most and for that reason i hope Chelsea win the match and make Ferdinand and Ronaldo cry.

I truly feel we would have beaten United in Moscow, but i have a burning feeling that we will win it for a 6th time in our favourite place next season, Rome!

We will be back stronger, bigger and better!

YNWA

Matt
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #333: May 01, 2008 11:34:03 am
      I dont agree. Our defense line has been good. Skrtel's and Arbeloa's were injured.

Not really. Our defense line seems better than it actually is because we play with two holding midfielders that protect the back four. I think we need two fullbacks in the summer. Arbeloa, Finnan, Riise & Aurelio are not good enough for any other top team, then why should they be good enough for us?

Can't wait till Danny Agger is back, he is quality!
      solodee

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      Reply #334: May 01, 2008 12:02:58 pm
      Not really. Our defense line seems better than it actually is because we play with two holding midfielders that protect the back four. I think we need two fullbacks in the summer. Arbeloa, Finnan, Riise & Aurelio are not good enough for any other top team, then why should they be good enough for us?

Can't wait till Danny Agger is back, he is quality!

Finnan? Good job knocking Finnan in the twilight of his football career; very unfair. It is almost like knocking Hyypia. And not long ago, we were all talking about how brilliant Arbeloa was overlapping and getting those quality crosses in while still doing a good job defending from RB.

Maybe we need to be consistent in our assessment of these players; in a moment of absolute brilliance, we call them the best, only to call for their ejection from the team the next day. Kinda like Andy Gray talking. These lads played well yesterday, the two goals came from the same area; the area usually manned by Skrtel and Aurelio. We need to give the lad some break. They are also gutted.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #335: May 01, 2008 12:10:12 pm
      I stuck the nut on a Chelsea fan tonight, I'm not proud of it but he really pissed me off. I made a point, in keeping with our tradition of being the best fans in the world, of going round and shaking every Chelsea fans hand at the final whistle. Even though I could be a gracious loser it seems some people can't be gracious winners, the guy kept getting in my face so he got his comeuppance in the end.

My hero Eddie! :D Good lad! ;) Violence ain't the answer but I'm sure anyone here would have done the same in the circumstances! :D

I'm gutted with the result of course. It killed me to watch and I felt crushed at the final whistle. But after a season full of promise and progress, we should really hold our heads high and be happy with how far we've come! We're still a relatively new team, still blending together! What we've achieved this season leaves me convinced we'll be up there fighting for the league come next May! :D

None of the lads really played bad, and right up until the 120th minute we were still fighting! That's a sign of a quality side! Next season we can start afresh, with a few new signings! We've got a cracking youth squad to pick from and the reserves are looking the most promising we've seen in a long time! :)

It's going to be an interesting summer! :)
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #336: May 01, 2008 12:14:04 pm
      Solodee what on earth are you talking about? I'm not knocking Finnan at all. If he doesn't start ahead of Arbeloa that must say something. Arbeloa is not all that great, he had a few good games last season and then ever since he's been overhyped but that's my opinion.

Watch Arbeloa, his defensive awareness is exactly like Riise's. Finnan has a better understanding of the game but he's 31 so to say he's not good enough is fair IMO. Hyypia was on a different level, at his peak he was amazingly good and I don't think you can compare Finnan to Hyypia as a great servant to the club.

Anyway you saw it yourself yesterday, we got penetrated far too often, especially where the fullbacks suppose to defend.
      solodee

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      Reply #337: May 01, 2008 12:22:39 pm
      Solodee what on earth are you talking about? I'm not knocking Finnan at all. If he doesn't start ahead of Arbeloa that must say something. Arbeloa is not all that great, he had a few good games last season and then ever since he's been overhyped but that's my opinion.

Watch Arbeloa, his defensive awareness is exactly like Riise's. Finnan has a better understanding of the game but he's 31 so to say he's not good enough is fair IMO. Hyypia was on a different level, at his peak he was amazingly good and I don't think you can compare Finnan to Hyypia as a great servant to the club.

Anyway you saw it yourself yesterday, we got penetrated far too often, especially where the fullbacks suppose to defend.

We had key injuries issues Ra Ra, Chelsea have been unable to score against US this season. Drogba put two in yesterday mainly because no defender kept up with him (back to the injuries). Finnan is no Hyypia, but he has done his bit for the club.

I guess we ALL get to have different opinions.
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #338: May 01, 2008 12:26:16 pm
      Look at it this way lads and ladies, we are still winning in my eyes:

Liverpool 3-1 Chelsea or maybe even Liverpool 4-2 Chelsea:

Liverpool         3                                          Chelsea             1
      Champions League Semi-Final 2005                 Champions League Semi-Final 2008
      FA Cup Semi-Final 2006
      Champions League Semi-Final 2007

Liverpool          4                                          Chelsea              2       
      Champions League Semi-Final 2005                  Carling Cup Final 2005
      FA Cup Semi-Final 2006                                  Champions League Semi-Final 2008
      Community Shield Final 2006
      Champions League Semi-Final 2007                               

It makes me feel so much better!

Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #339: May 01, 2008 12:32:26 pm
      Finnan? Good job knocking Finnan in the twilight of his football career; very unfair. It is almost like knocking Hyypia. And not long ago, we were all talking about how brilliant Arbeloa was overlapping and getting those quality crosses in while still doing a good job defending from RB.

Maybe we need to be consistent in our assessment of these players; in a moment of absolute brilliance, we call them the best, only to call for their ejection from the team the next day. Kinda like Andy Gray talking. These lads played well yesterday, the two goals came from the same area; the area usually manned by Skrtel and Aurelio. We need to give the lad some break. They are also gutted.

That's all very well, but if we are to move forward then we have to realise that several of our current squad are not good enough for Liverpool Football Club...

Last night i thought we did well in the second half, but Chelsea seemed to have a bit more grit about them.  However, it was a close tie and had we gone into the game 1-0 up then i'm convined we would have progressed, but it wasn't to be.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #340: May 01, 2008 01:30:08 pm
      We do need new fullbacks or rafa wouldnt be looking for some haha pretty obvious.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #341: May 01, 2008 01:50:19 pm
      Gutted would be a understatement,i think Rafa got it wrong last night playing Torres up on his own id have brought Crouch on i couldnt understand why he took Torres off but turns out he was injured,just been into town with my liverpool jacket on had loads of folk saysing hope you werent to diaapionted last night.AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR RRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH H
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #342: May 01, 2008 02:09:15 pm
      We had key injuries issues Ra Ra, Chelsea have been unable to score against US this season. Drogba put two in yesterday mainly because no defender kept up with him (back to the injuries). Finnan is no Hyypia, but he has done his bit for the club.

I guess we ALL get to have different opinions.

Well then don't accuse me of knocking our players
      solodee

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      Reply #343: May 01, 2008 02:53:23 pm
      Well then don't accuse me of knocking our players

Ok Ra Ra, I guess you made 'Statements of Facts' in your own opinion; BUT when we say some of our player are not good enough, it's tantamount to knocking them IMO. You're a buddy Ra Ra.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #344: May 01, 2008 08:08:06 pm
      Out of interest does anyone know what the difference is financially between getting knocked out when we did & going all the way?

Quick Reply