Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Chelsea v Liverpool - CL Semi Final Match Thread

Read 28619 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Re: Chelsea v Liverpool - CL Semi Final Match Thread
      Reply #345: May 01, 2008 08:29:27 pm
      I'm as gutted as everyone. Thought we done o.k. on the whole but I have to say, Pepe has been beaten on his near post in both games. If you cover your near post you know which way the shot has to go and anticipate it. If you don't cover the near post, the shooter has options and you can't react quick enough once he has decided. School boy stuff. Apart from that, just that bit of luck missing. No penalty awarded for similar offence to thier penalty, and disrupted by injuries. You may say we should have a big enough squad to cover for the injuries, but in fairness, they were all in defensive positions until Nando went off. How many top defenders are we supposed to have ? 8 or 10. I think we done alright under the circumstances and almost nicked it at the end. Well proud of all the lads including Pepe and Riise. No body's perfect so look ahead to next year. A few more top drawer players and another serious assault on the prem. And the big eared one.
      Oh and don't feel too bad about nutting the chav. Think I'll go and find one of me own now. Cheers everyone, here's to next year.
      « Last Edit: May 01, 2008 08:36:54 pm by GERNS »
      MsGerrard
      Reply #346: May 01, 2008 09:50:03 pm
      I was to upset to post anything last night and too angry, I've calmed down a bit now, but I'm still pretty gutted.

We started off poor and I was thinking to myself, come on lads this is a European Cup Semi-final not a training session at Melwood, we didn't seem up for it all.

This tie was always going to be difficult, especially with the result from the first leg, cos at the end of the day that's were we lost it, if only the ref hadn't given all that time in the first leg, they would never have scored...........oh no, they didn't though did they, we scored for them  >:( they couldn't even manage to do that  :(

The second half started much better and we looked more up for it, but I'm afraid some of our players to me didn't really give their all, some of the passing was poor, we were hurried off the ball to easily and they seemed to pick up all the loose balls.

Difficult I know for our players, with the intense atmosphere at Stamford Bridge, with all those plastic flags swaying in the breeze, it would be enough to put anyone off :f_tongueincheek:

Actually the weather conditions were atrocious last night but that was the same for both teams, so I can't make that an excuse.

Seriously I wonder what would have happened had this tie last night been played at Anfield, and the first leg at Stamford Bridge, sadly, we will never know, but I think we probably would have gone through, I'm sure the Ref wouldn't have dared put the whistle to his mouth and then changed his mind in front of the kop, they'd have been baying for his blood.

Ryan Babel, that was a stunning goal, the best of the night by far  ;)

Anyway we can't change anything now and what will be will be.

We will be back stronger and better.

Heads held high fellow Scousers, we should be proud of our team the way we got to the semi's, how many other teams would loved to have been in our position.........just ask Everton :laugh:

donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #347: May 01, 2008 10:04:08 pm
      Still gutted... but I think I've ever felt to so proud to be a Red.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #348: May 01, 2008 10:25:17 pm
      I really thought when we got to extra time we had them. Oh well it was well played. I think that Chelsea will win. Either Chelsea or Liverpool would have destroyed that Barcelona team that the scum played the other nite !
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #349: May 01, 2008 10:34:41 pm
      This is bound to bring a smile to your faces.  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkGzaoj6DuY
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #350: May 01, 2008 11:59:29 pm
      24 hours has elapsed and one thing that has emerged from last night's game is a sense of pride in defeat. It would be easy to loose sight of the way we played and blame everyone and everything and be bitter and twisted but that won't change a thing, this was a bridge too far unfortunately.

The final result defines how most of us feel and to be honest, as gutted as I am, I have to admit it was an entertaining and predominantly clean game with high drama. Drogba scored 2 quality goals, as much as I hate to say it and I would rather see him stay upright and produce an honest display rather than diving all over the show. But perhaps not last tonight. He answered Rafa's criticisms emphatically. tw*t. Frank Lampard held his nerve too so credit to him for how he handled the pressure. This was a game where 2 blues played at the peak of their game and in normal circumstances I wouldn't be so graceful but like I've said bitterness achieves nothing, ask an Evertonan :D

That fuckwit called Andy Gray annoyed me twice with his "Oh thats it, it's all over" (as he did in Istanbul) with 23 minutes of extra time left to play. Wrong, Babel scored a blinder and the game was ours for the taking. Dumb F**k's earlier comment wishing Lampard "Good luck" with the penalty was annoying, he is supposed to be impartial as a commentator but is leaning more the the tower in Pisa.

Rafa was forced into the Hyypia substitution and fate, as with the last game, would dictate the sub would be a key factor in the game. Conceding 1 pen and being denied a clear shout, that's football, it's a sh*t at times and you can't win 'em all. It may seem like I couldn't care if I say swings and roundabouts, some decisions you get others you don't but in the nature of that particular game we have to take it on the chin, it is a bitter pill to swallow.

I was a bit mystified that Crouchy never got a sniff last night, anyone got any ideas on that one? I'm certain he would have made a telling impact during 120 minutes of football. Nando's hamstring proved to be the cause for the Babel switch and without knowing that it's unfair to scream 'Sack Rafa' as people have. Heat of the moment and frustration but did Babel not score an awesome goal against the colossus called Cech? Too hot to handle and against a man that will dive at your feet from 18" with a head held together with gaffer tape! Just proved what a cracking shot it was when Cech had a week to sort his feet and head out but there was nothing he could have done, a nice goal to sign off the campaign with.

No blame is being apportioned to any individuals for last night's performance but I suggest we look a little more lively in the 1st half of our next CL Semi Final, our passing was all at sea and quite disturbing at times. :f_steam: Playing Torres alone didn't fill me with too much confidence not in as much as I don't think he's capable but it's too much to ask when a game is on the knife edge. Yes an away goal could have won it but as it proved when they scored 1st we were then chasing the game with 1 striker not 2 hence my puzzlement at Crouch's absence. Chelsea were never going to roll over so the 1st goal was crucial, again they had the advantage and our away goal was to be an equalizer not an advantage to us. Nando did superbly to score after some great work from Benny, fair play.

All in all gutted sums it up but pride in a decent attempt for No.6. It wasn't to be last night but what are the odds on Rafa and the boys making us dream next year in a competition engraved in the history of Liverpool Football Club. YNWA

Good luck to Avram Grant for all he has achieved at Chelsea, it's the better of 2 evils but it has to be Chelsea to do the deed now especially seeing as it's Utd.
      « Last Edit: May 02, 2008 12:02:50 am by RED1028 »
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #351: May 02, 2008 12:00:55 am

Avram has a bit of a 'David Brent' moment at the end, stretching his arms out and doing his hair as if he's not bothered....... :D

This is how it should be done ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO3UBwzWP1Y&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

« Last Edit: May 02, 2008 12:06:51 am by LondonRed »
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #352: May 02, 2008 01:58:41 am
      Ha ha.............Rafa..... ...is there anything he cant do !?
      murpies
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 69 posts |
      Reply #353: May 02, 2008 04:00:03 am
      24 hours has elapsed and one thing that has emerged from last night's game is a sense of pride in defeat. It would be easy to loose sight of the way we played and blame everyone and everything and be bitter and twisted but that won't change a thing, this was a bridge too far unfortunately.

The final result defines how most of us feel and to be honest, as gutted as I am, I have to admit it was an entertaining and predominantly clean game with high drama. Drogba scored 2 quality goals, as much as I hate to say it and I would rather see him stay upright and produce an honest display rather than diving all over the show. But perhaps not last tonight. He answered Rafa's criticisms emphatically. tw*t. Frank Lampard held his nerve too so credit to him for how he handled the pressure. This was a game where 2 blues played at the peak of their game and in normal circumstances I wouldn't be so graceful but like I've said bitterness achieves nothing, ask an Evertonan :D

That fuckwit called Andy Gray annoyed me twice with his "Oh thats it, it's all over" (as he did in Istanbul) with 23 minutes of extra time left to play. Wrong, Babel scored a blinder and the game was ours for the taking. Dumb F**k's earlier comment wishing Lampard "Good luck" with the penalty was annoying, he is supposed to be impartial as a commentator but is leaning more the the tower in Pisa.

Rafa was forced into the Hyypia substitution and fate, as with the last game, would dictate the sub would be a key factor in the game. Conceding 1 pen and being denied a clear shout, that's football, it's a sh*t at times and you can't win 'em all. It may seem like I couldn't care if I say swings and roundabouts, some decisions you get others you don't but in the nature of that particular game we have to take it on the chin, it is a bitter pill to swallow.

I was a bit mystified that Crouchy never got a sniff last night, anyone got any ideas on that one? I'm certain he would have made a telling impact during 120 minutes of football. Nando's hamstring proved to be the cause for the Babel switch and without knowing that it's unfair to scream 'Sack Rafa' as people have. Heat of the moment and frustration but did Babel not score an awesome goal against the colossus called Cech? Too hot to handle and against a man that will dive at your feet from 18" with a head held together with gaffer tape! Just proved what a cracking shot it was when Cech had a week to sort his feet and head out but there was nothing he could have done, a nice goal to sign off the campaign with.

No blame is being apportioned to any individuals for last night's performance but I suggest we look a little more lively in the 1st half of our next CL Semi Final, our passing was all at sea and quite disturbing at times. :f_steam: Playing Torres alone didn't fill me with too much confidence not in as much as I don't think he's capable but it's too much to ask when a game is on the knife edge. Yes an away goal could have won it but as it proved when they scored 1st we were then chasing the game with 1 striker not 2 hence my puzzlement at Crouch's absence. Chelsea were never going to roll over so the 1st goal was crucial, again they had the advantage and our away goal was to be an equalizer not an advantage to us. Nando did superbly to score after some great work from Benny, fair play.

All in all gutted sums it up but pride in a decent attempt for No.6. It wasn't to be last night but what are the odds on Rafa and the boys making us dream next year in a competition engraved in the history of Liverpool Football Club. YNWA

Good luck to Avram Grant for all he has achieved at Chelsea, it's the better of 2 evils but it has to be Chelsea to do the deed now especially seeing as it's Utd.

well said mate. YNWA
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #354: May 02, 2008 05:38:38 am
      Well what can i say other than im gutted but oh so proud of our boys. All the odds stacked against us heading into the match yet we turned up and did our part. A shaky start in the first half yet somehow regathered in the second and wiped Chelsea off the floor.

The thing i was most disappointed with was the penalty. Not that it wasnt a penalty but how it was handled. The ref let everything go in the match and took in to consideration the state of the pitch and the conditions but to award a penalty in extra time for something he didnt award to any team in normal time is ludacris!

I dont want to ramble on too much about the match itself but rather congartulate our lads on yet another brilliant chapter in the Champions League. To get through this far and under all the media surroundin Rafa, losing our first 3 then coming out and flogging the others in the next 3, beating Inter Milan and Arsenal two ties in a row and to score at Stamford not once but twice.

Well done lads, we're proud of your efforts throughout the whole campaign. Walk on with your heads held high.

YNWA.
      indonesian-reds
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      • kopite for life!
      Reply #355: May 02, 2008 06:33:36 am
      chelsea is not better than us! they just luck! imagine if riise didn't scored for them, the aggregat would be liv 2 - che 1! their luck began when they had deivid scored for them at turkey...
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #356: May 02, 2008 10:33:33 am
      I remember I read a lot that we could score twice at Bridge and we thought that was enough to them.
      So we got what we wanted we scored twice at Bridge. Now I think it might have cost to say we can win them at Bridge instead we can score twice.
      I have also often read that very popular saying 'The Future is bright the future is red'. But we know that tomorrow never comes. So the future never comes, it turns into the present. May we change 'the future' for 'the present'?
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #357: May 02, 2008 11:12:06 am
      I didnt watch this match. Im on holiday in Germany thinking they will show the champs league on tele. I was F***ing mistaken. What bullshit this is. in Aus they show European football (thank god) and in Germany they dont show European Football
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #358: May 02, 2008 01:37:01 pm
      The positive we can take from the game is that we can now come to the bridge and score, although it is a massive dispair there are a few positives for example, Babel, wow what a goal, it just shows you what we can expect in the future from him, I think that just sumed himself up, he is just a talent which hasn't been used to his full potential, yet.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #359: May 02, 2008 01:42:44 pm
       :f_WA: :f_WA: :f_WA:

I'm gutted...see you all next season.

Only F***ing joking, even if I wanted too, I couldn't leave this forum...I'm addicted.

To be honest, I'm gutted and I don't think I'll ever get over it....so many talking points that have been covered over the 370 odd posts. I'm not going to rehash them as I want to try to get over it and move on and look forward to next season.

I must admit I was going to log on straight after the match to vent...I'm glad I didn't.

I guess this is why we are considered the best fans in the world. I'd say although everyone of you fellow REDS is as gutted as me, you still came on here and posted so many positives. It made me feel a hell of a lot better than I did...so I take my hat off to all of you. I couldn't see Man Urey, Chivas or Arse fans doing the same...makes me proud to be a fellow RED.

Chins up boys...go out there and smash Man City in front of the famous KOP and give us something bright to finish the season off with.
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #360: May 02, 2008 01:43:41 pm
      chelsea is not better than us! they just luck! imagine if riise didn't scored for them, the aggregat would be liv 2 - che 1! their luck began when they had deivid scored for them at turkey...

We can all complain about that buddy, we could say their first goal at the bridge had offside involved, and Riise, all you can say is that even though we didn't play well at times is, we defeated ourselves. Chelsea get luck turning their way time and time again, look at their offside goals during the season, however what goes around comes around. One word my friend, "Football" and that's all it is.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #361: May 02, 2008 01:51:29 pm
      I must admit I was going to log on straight after the match to vent...I'm glad I didn't.

I guess this is why we are considered the best fans in the world. I'd say although everyone of you fellow REDS is as gutted as me, you still came on here and posted so many positives. It made me feel a hell of a lot better than I did...so I take my hat off to all of you. I couldn't see Man Urey, Chivas or Arse fans doing the same...makes me proud to be a fellow RED.

I felt the same after the game AussieRed, I wasn't even going to come on the site the following day because I was afraid I'd rant on about how we lost. But it's more like talking to family and friends whether we win or lose, and that's why it's easy to see the positives even if we're all disappointed.

What's plain to see is there aren't many glory hunters on the forum, just people who love their club to bits and want them to succeed, but are willing to accept the simple fact that we can't win every competition and cup we play for. So I guess along with all the threads about thanks to Rafa and the team, there could be room for one saying thanks to everyone else on the site for keeping the belief in our team and their heads held proudly high after the disappointment Wednesday night.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #362: May 02, 2008 02:12:00 pm
      I think i can explain why everyone has said what they said, its called support and only true support is found within the gates of Anfield. Great stuff by all fans on most forums.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #363: May 05, 2008 11:44:28 pm
      I earlier critisized Pepe for getting beaten at his near post in both games. I have to correct that. The first was against the arse. Even so, he has kept us alive in other matches with breathtaking saves. I wasn't directing blame on him, I was just trying to say don't blame Riise alone. Every one makes mistakes as we all know. We are RED and we all win together and we all lose together. When we lose that quality we are surely not reds anymore. Number 6 next season and I think a realistic pop at the prem. With the new boys settled after thier first season and one or two more additions, we can only go forward from here. Y.N.W.A.

Quick Reply