Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Chelsea v Liverpool - CL Semi Final Match Thread

Read 28806 times
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Re: Chelsea v Liverpool - CL Semi Final Match Thread
      Reply #253: Apr 30, 2008 10:57:54 pm
      we scored twice at stamford bridge - thats something else positive as well isn't it

can't wait till next season. new signings, and the need to make up for this season - it has liverpool written all over it (o and a F***ing swish new kit.....exciting isnt it haha)
      cian.mahony
      • On Trial

• 3 posts | -1 
      Reply #254: Apr 30, 2008 10:59:29 pm
      He must have pre-planned the sub and then couldn't do any thinonce they scored. If anyone thinks Torres can't turn agame in an instant is havin a laugh!  :lmao: Sky?? couldn't listen to that bulll! World class strikers take their chances! i felt taking off Torres was the wrong decision! And as regards dumping Reina? Don't think that comment is worth any merit! Solid performance from him tonight!
      liverpoolian34
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts | -1 
      • THE GREATEST.
      Reply #255: Apr 30, 2008 11:03:30 pm
      I knew when hyypia came on he was gonna cost us, I just knew it. DAMN.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #256: Apr 30, 2008 11:05:46 pm
      I kew when hyypia came on he was gonna cost us, I just knew it. DAMN.

Sami did make a mistake for the penalty but I thought he was excellent tonight when he replaced Sktrel.
      kop1985
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts | -10 
      Reply #257: Apr 30, 2008 11:07:06 pm
      We will succeed.  Rafa knows what he's doing, he needs the funds and a stable ground.  He will build us the best.  Big summer for us.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #258: Apr 30, 2008 11:07:32 pm
      Sami did make a mistake for the penalty but I thought he was excellent tonight when he replaced Sktrel.

I thought he played well. Although he missed a very good oppotunity to make in 1-2 in the first half of extra time, which was unusual for him.
      hex85uk
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 57 posts |
      Reply #259: Apr 30, 2008 11:07:56 pm
      The pain is there in all of our hearts. We were in the game and we came very close. I praise all the L'pool players especialy Reina and Hyppia. And I think the people saying that they did bad or as soon as they came on the pitch we were going to loose, are idiots. People who say that needed to watch the game more closely.

We have to stay positve for next season. We will get back to the top. Thats what we do best.

Keep are heads high & Y.N.W.A
      « Last Edit: Apr 30, 2008 11:11:27 pm by hex85uk »
      cian.mahony
      • On Trial

• 3 posts | -1 
      Reply #260: Apr 30, 2008 11:08:45 pm
      Long standing supporter of Rafa you say.  Interesting first post then.
      Let's hope you never get his job then.
      Quality Moderator!! Interesting first post? Ya it is a first post!! Would you like for me to grow old and bald before joining a discussion forum? Or is the best time for me to express my views when they corrlate with your own? 
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #261: Apr 30, 2008 11:15:49 pm
      We gave it away, definitely need improvement in defense as we have possibly the slowest defense in the league, however well done is all I can say. I'm not bitter, just dissapointed but you win some, you lose some!

Next season we'll be stronger, I hope! Rafa is a good manager and I think he's working it out on how to make us more consistent!
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #262: Apr 30, 2008 11:16:03 pm
      Quality Moderator!! Interesting first post? Ya it is a first post!! Would you like for me to grow old and bald before joining a discussion forum? Or is the best time for me to express my views when they corrlate with your own? 

Watch it noob.  He's the Admin.  ;)
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #263: Apr 30, 2008 11:19:29 pm
      Torres had problems with his hamstring btw.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #264: Apr 30, 2008 11:20:19 pm
      Torres had problems with his hamstring btw.

Cheers for the heads up Paul.

Not bothering to listen to the news.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #265: Apr 30, 2008 11:20:39 pm
      my god im so down,i wish i was a fan who could be positive in these accasions but i cant.but then again i cant fault any of the lads tonight ...apart from alonso!i just dont see what he gives us that a lot of liverpool fans go on about!i cant remember a good game he has had in a big away ground.
      i may be in the blame looking mood but he is so slow on the ball,he cant tackle & when was the last time one of his glory balls actually made something!?he playes too deep to creative & too slow to be defensive.
      we need somebody better in his position!...GERRARD!
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #266: Apr 30, 2008 11:25:09 pm
      So proud of the lads, we made Chelsea work all the way and this time luck was against us!

We'll be back though, we always are!

So proud of the lads, next year we will compete on all fronts!

Matt
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #267: Apr 30, 2008 11:28:24 pm
      Let us stop blaming people for the loss they all played well not one of them had a bad performance. 

Things just didn’t go our way apart from the very blatant off-side goal of Essien in which there were two players obstructing Reina’s view, and would have been criminal, nothing went our way.  We were playing against fate.  They haven’t lost at the bridge for what 4 years, they had the rub of the green.  In nearly 500 minutes of Champions league semi-final football there were only 5 goals. Then we see three goals in extra time.  Let’s be fair Chelsea are probably the best defensive team in the world and for us to score two goals we deserve to win.  We had never scored under Benitez at the bridge, and to score two that were enough to win two previous encounters just goes to prove it was always going to be Chelsea’s day.

Skrtel got injured early reducing our options off the bench.  Make no mistake Crouch could have made a massive impact on this game at the end, but we didn’t have the options of bringing him on.  They get the penalty we didn’t it happens its just one of them days. 
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #268: Apr 30, 2008 11:32:10 pm
      In the end, the better team over the two-legs lost. It's not entirely fair, I know, it just seems that luck was on Chelsea's side today. I've literally, this minute, placed an order for the 07/08 Euro Shirt, because I love my team - and I do not care what people think. We can dream, but in Europe, our dreams come true most of the time. Today being the exception. To take my mind off of it (be it for even an hour), I'm going to go play GTA.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #269: Apr 30, 2008 11:38:04 pm
      MASCH: THIS TEAM WILL REACH MANY FINALS
      Jimmy Rice at Stamford Bridge 30 April 2008 
        Javier Mascherano has spoken of his pain after Liverpool's European dream ended for another year – but insisted he and his teammates could reach many finals in the years to come. 
      The Argentina international felt the Reds were more than a match for Chelsea in both legs despite losing 4-3 on aggregate.

And he claimed that, despite missing out this time, the current Liverpool squad was capable of conquering Europe once more over the next few years.

Mascherano told Liverpoolfc.tv: "It is very pain. We showed character and personality, so it's difficult to take because we played well and lost.

"We played at Anfield and the result was not so good, but here at Stamford Bridge we gave everything. We couldn't have done more.

"We thought we could go on to win the game after Fernando Torres scored because we had two or three chances but everything changed with the penalty.

"This time was not for us but I will go home knowing that we played well and gave everything.

"If we continue the way we have, we will bring titles to Liverpool. This is a young team and today we showed character. We played well and now we need to continue improving."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here here!
      SPARKYMARKY
      • Forum David Johnson

• 214 posts |
      • ian rush sent kendall to the bottle
      Reply #270: Apr 30, 2008 11:40:58 pm
      The yellow card thing has cost us imo, gerrard did not hit any tackle with the risk of missing out, kuyt did not stay in his postion , if we have to beat these teams then we must KEEP the ball in key areas of the pitch ..dont get me wrong we tried hard , but to go to another level we need more quality players , i just think if gerrard had a clean slate then crouch would have been on  ,alonso off and pennant on earlier , the game was there for us , although im pissed clean off i hope that wot is going on behind the scenes doesnt effect rafas plans ...ynwa
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #271: Apr 30, 2008 11:41:20 pm
      i would like to have seen us play some quicker more decisive football which often we can lack, then i think games like these are definitely always ares for the taking, at times we just look sluggish and indecisive, hopefully that will be improved on
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #272: Apr 30, 2008 11:44:25 pm
      I would like to have seen us play some quicker more decisive football which often we can lack, then I think games like these are definitely always ares for the taking, at times we just look sluggish and indecisive, hopefully that will be improved on

Thats one thing that really bugs me, the way we play sluggish and indecisive at times. I'm sure it's because of the lack of technical players though. It will be improved on!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #273: Apr 30, 2008 11:49:20 pm
      Sparkymarky, I agree we need to improve and quality purchase are needed for us to win the prem league.  But this encounter was not lost because of our quality.  Our players came up against a squad assembled from some 500m pounds nothing spared and we got the better of the encounter.   This game was down to fate it was going to happen, whether it was going to be the officials or the post or whatever.  We were always going to lose this game, it happens.
      SPARKYMARKY
      • Forum David Johnson

• 214 posts |
      • ian rush sent kendall to the bottle
      Reply #274: Apr 30, 2008 11:49:51 pm
      The other thing for me is that we will see PETER CROUCH in a shirt again ? Imo I hope so , I think he could of ruffed them two up tonight ..
      what is the point on bringing pennant and babel on if your target man is still sitting there ?
      « Last Edit: May 01, 2008 12:04:44 am by SPARKYMARKY »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #275: Apr 30, 2008 11:51:11 pm
      My real problem tonight was the performance in the first half. Although Chelsea played well I thought we made it easy for them. Our passing was dreadful. Most of our players seemed incapable of making a simple pass. I don't mind if a player tries a diffulcult pass and it doesn't come off but too many times a simple 5-10 yard pass was mis-placed.

Quick Reply