Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Chelsea v Liverpool - CL Semi Final Match Thread

Read 28798 times
      MsGerrard
      Re: Chelsea v Liverpool - CL Semi Final Match Thread
      Reply #276: Apr 30, 2008 11:51:47 pm
      Just got in, and I am totally gutted, so upset and disappointed.....  :(
      Koppite_1985
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 83 posts |
      Reply #277: Apr 30, 2008 11:52:20 pm
      Perhaps Babel's performance tonight indicates why he should be in the 1st XI? I'd feel bit more comfortable if Rafa would play 2 men up front too. Still, was good to see the faithful in the stands so fired up. Wish I wasnt stuck at uni in exeter...........gettin homesick now ;D

Ps, any idea what was wrong with torres?
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #278: Apr 30, 2008 11:53:42 pm
      Just got in, and I am totally gutted, so upset and disappointed.....  :(

Ahh, sure you'll get over this. I'm feeling no better either, but we must take positives from moments like this.
      SPARKYMARKY
      • Forum David Johnson

• 214 posts |
      • ian rush sent kendall to the bottle
      Reply #279: Apr 30, 2008 11:53:54 pm
      Sparkymarky, I agree we need to improve and quality purchase are needed for us to win the prem league.  But this encounter was not lost because of our quality.  Our players came up against a squad assembled from some 500m pounds nothing spared and we got the better of the encounter.   This game was down to fate it was going to happen, whether it was going to be the officials or the post or whatever.  We were always going to lose this game, it happens.
      wat iwas saying was keeping the ball , the players we have at times give it away for no reason , look at barca , they keep it , we have to learn that as a team ... if we do we will improve with who rafa has in mind this summer
      MsGerrard
      Reply #280: Apr 30, 2008 11:54:20 pm

Ps, any idea what was wrong with torres?

Rafa said afterwards there was a problem with his hamstring  :(
      OhJohnnyBoy
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      • I throw sh*t at Chelsea Supporters
      Reply #281: Apr 30, 2008 11:54:57 pm
      Biggest dissapointment of my life.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #282: May 01, 2008 12:04:19 am
      I would like to have seen us play some quicker more decisive football which often we can lack, then I think games like these are definitely always ares for the taking, at times we just look sluggish and indecisive, hopefully that will be improved on

Very much agreed. If you see ManU and Chelsea then THIS is what they are still ahead of us. We need more technical players with determination, not these kind who love to pass aroud without gaining a lot territory, e.g. a lot of Barcas players.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #283: May 01, 2008 12:06:39 am
      wat iwas saying was keeping the ball , the players we have at times give it away for no reason , look at barca , they keep it , we have to learn that as a team ... if we do we will improve with who rafa has in mind this summer

Listen mate, I understand your point and we are all frustrated, but apart from the first half I think the lads were immense just couldn't have asked for more.  We faced a team that will not let you play that have a high work rate and 10 players that can defend in fact most of them can play in defense, they will not give you that time and space, I am very proud of our performance.  The sort of players they have the fast feet flair sort of players can very easily be taken out of the game by their team.  If you don't believe me ask Ronaldo and Co.  ;)
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #284: May 01, 2008 12:08:07 am
      I disagree with some of the posts on here that the better team won. They did not create more clear cut opportunuties than us through both of the ties. I would like to point out that the referee wasa fuckwith for not awarding us that penatly on Hyppia in the 2nd half of extra time, that was as clear cut as theirs.
      It is easy to blame Pepe for the first goal because he did not cover the front post and yes that was the only space the ball could have possibly gone through but the power of the shot was outstanding. If anything JAR would take the blame for not reacting quickly enough as he was closer to the ball.

I am gutted but I can not blame the lads for not giving their all second half and onwards, the effort and determination was absolutely amazing.

Who ever said earlier that xabi brings nothing to the game take your head out of your ass and look again. He was the lion in the middle of the park today and broke up play and distributed numerous balls brilliantly.

Also covered the most distance, more than any other player on both sides. I think that we need to keep Rafa and the nucleus of the team together, Carra, Alonso, Gerrard, Torres, Mascherano and add two quality players to our squad and we will be unstoppable.
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #285: May 01, 2008 12:10:23 am
      don't you just wish we could consistently play some attractive, flowing football? it's something i haven't seen from us for a really long time - we have the odd moment, but its just a bit naff

another thing is, why do we rarely see the likes of xabi and stevie having a go with some piledrivers outside the edge of the area? we know there capable, they need to give it a go!
      SPARKYMARKY
      • Forum David Johnson

• 214 posts |
      • ian rush sent kendall to the bottle
      Reply #286: May 01, 2008 12:12:39 am
      Work rate yes , cant fault them , but not playing peter crouch when Jt is on a yella , ok luck beat us this time but Keeping the ball is a must.. for any team .
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #287: May 01, 2008 12:13:26 am
      Chelsea took their chances, that's what counts in football Dadorious, taking your chances. We didn't take our chances, therefore we lost.

Over the two legs it was pretty even, though Chelsea looked far more dangerous Liverpool had a lot of the ball. I'd like Chelsea and Man Utd to both lose in Moscow, somehow that isn't possible!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #288: May 01, 2008 12:18:36 am
      Far out just the thought of the two teams I hate the most in the final makes me sick again!
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #289: May 01, 2008 12:19:24 am
      I felt in the first half we played poorly but overall i think we at least matched chelsea in the context of the whole tie and could have gone through.

In fairness i truly beleive that this year was not our year, chelsea got the luck  that you need sometimes to win these types of games , the owngoal , the offside goal , the penalty claim .... all factors which went in chelseas favour and unfortunatley had a large say on the outcome of the tie.

I am devestated , like we all are , but now is not the time to slate players when they had a good go out there tonight , fact is if a decision or two went our way instead of theirs we could of been heading to Moscow and the players would have been getting heaps of praise with the exact same performance as they put out tonight.

.......roll on next season , a fresh start.

Y N W A
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #290: May 01, 2008 12:23:18 am
       I am sorry that i have to point the finger at one particular playerbut without a doubt RIISE cost us a place in the final.It was his own goal at Anfield that did the damage and I blame him for Chelseas 3rd goal tonight.He forget the the fundamental basics of football and did not play to the whistle,instead he stood there with his arm in the air waiting for the ref to blowthe whistle and he got caught out.After the sadness I look forward to RAFA and the LADS going on to great things in the next season.I believe Tom Hicks went into the dressing room after the game to thank the lads. ( He might be human after all.
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #291: May 01, 2008 12:25:43 am
      moscows too cold anyways :)
      Koppite_1985
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 83 posts |
      Reply #292: May 01, 2008 12:26:17 am
      Im not one to start callin for heads to roll after bad results. My Grandad taught me better than that when he was taking me to watch from the Kop as a child. However the same issue is always pointed out about rafa..........Team selection and subs. Personally I think that whatever players are sent out there, they usually seem to play their hearts out.

EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #293: May 01, 2008 12:33:44 am
      I've tried four or five times to post something here about the game, every time I try I just can't seem to get the words right though. Needless to say I'm devastated about the result, I hate to hang on what if's but how different would the tie have been if the penalty had been given for the foul against Hyypia?

I stuck the nut on a Chelsea fan tonight, I'm not proud of it but he really pissed me off. I made a point, in keeping with our tradition of being the best fans in the world, of going round and shaking every Chelsea fans hand at the final whistle. Even though I could be a gracious loser it seems some people can't be gracious winners, the guy kept getting in my face so he got his comeuppance in the end.

One thing that rang true to me tonight is what one fella said to me down the pub. He was a Watford fan, and as he said 'There's plenty worse than being knocked out in the semi's of the Champions League, we'd just love to be in the right league to qualify for it, let alone actually getting in it'. He was right, much as it kills us right now, how many teams would love to be in our position? It's hard to be thankful at times like this, but we should be thankful that we have the chance to see our team play at the highest stage.

Not a lot else I can say, apart from one thing. No knee jerk reactions, we win as a team & we lose as a team. No-one was awful out there tonight, everyone gave it their all & it just wasn't to be. There are certain players who we all knew needed to go before this game, but to start pulling more names out of the hat on the back of this game is completely unjustified.

Koppite_1985
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 83 posts |
      Reply #294: May 01, 2008 12:38:49 am
      Eddie...........bravo. I love the way we are always positive no matter what, and remember what shanks said......“When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along.”
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #295: May 01, 2008 12:42:08 am
      You chinned a Chelsea fan Eddie? ;D

He got what he deserved but violence isn't the answer young man :o

I gave someone what they deserved a few weeks back and I ended up down the station with an £80 fine :police:

Anyway it's good to see you got your held held high, because like me you know that we have so much potential. We will only come marching back stronger and ManUre won't know what's hit em - Just like you did to a chav tonight :D
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #296: May 01, 2008 12:45:30 am
      You chinned a Chelsea fan Eddie? ;D

He got what he deserved but violence isn't the answer young man :o

Meh.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #297: May 01, 2008 12:46:13 am

I know this sounds like a blonde moment but what does 'Meh' mean? ;D
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #298: May 01, 2008 12:47:06 am
      I like our two goals though, classic goals. In retrospect..... We have had a season that showcased some awesome Liverpool quality games. We can still be more consistent in our game. Next season, No. 6 will come, The Premiership also and the FA Cup. We can even throw in the Carling Cup. I am a believer.

Is there any truth in the rumour about Gerrard contemplating an exit?

Quick Reply