Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Lionel Messi

Read 84550 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Lionel Messi
      Reply #23: May 07, 2008 09:11:49 am
      Ronaldo does about 40 step overs before coming up against someone, if he see's soace for himself he doesnt even ponder passing it where Messi doesnt do the first in any way and the second, he is the best at IMO. Messi or Ronaldo? Messi any day of the week.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #24: May 07, 2008 08:35:43 pm
      If and its a big if we had the money i would take Messi in a heartbeat someone of that class and trickery around the box then we really could dream of number nineteen,GERRARD FERNANDO and MESSI that would really be something else.
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #25: May 07, 2008 10:47:07 pm
      barcelona are getting trounced 4-0 atm by real madrid, ok make that 4-1, henry just scored, but the only person that has had any real drive for barcelona is messi and that has only been in the last 10mins.

other than that he has been invisible. but with a player like messi he only needs the ball for 10 secs to make magic
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #26: May 08, 2008 07:41:03 am
      Hard to perform when your side is getting beat 4-0. I saw it, he wasnt given the ball. Real dominated their back third, hence his invisibility.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #27: May 08, 2008 09:30:42 am
      You can perform as an individual in a team game cant you. Its just like saying one player is better than another isnt it, but this is just people saying he is better than all the other players as opposed to just certain ones.

Some are better than anyone else in one individual position e.g. mascherano in the DM role and some are just better in overall play than anyone else thats how mess is seen.

Yes but, could you see Ronaldo playing at centre back or Frank Lumplard playing in goal the point Im making is the fact that although one player could be specialized in one area the arguement is irrelivant because you could not put that one player up against 11 could you. Even though he may have the most amazing talent in the universe he would not be able to play against 11 players on his own, he still needs the rest of his team to back him up. So therefore how can you have any one individual as the best in the world when its a team game.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #28: May 08, 2008 09:37:27 am
      Thats not how it works prag. Best player in the world is recognised by skill, that no other man can match in the season. Yes his success is due to his team mates but they all thank their team mates straight away for their part.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #29: May 08, 2008 09:48:45 am
      We'll soon see next season if he's still at Barca - or injured.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #30: May 08, 2008 10:59:13 am
      Thats not how it works prag. Best player in the world is recognised by skill, that no other man can match in the season. Yes his success is due to his team mates but they all thank their team mates straight away for their part.

Well how else does it work then?? If a best player is recognised by skill define skill! skill in all areas of the pitch being able to go in goal, ball control, pace, technical skill??
      Because Ronaldo runs at pace and shoves his leg over the ball trying to outwit his opponant when 99% of the time they stand off him, letting him do it because media hype surrounding the player protects him against tackling (and believe me it does) does this make him the best player in the world on an indivdual level. He cant tackle to save his life, yet does that make him a better player than say Jamie Carragher can Ronaldo takle and defend like Jamie Carragher?? Can Lional Messi save like and shot stop like Pepe Reina?? Was George Best as Intelligent as Kenny Dalglish?? Need I go on!!! Its objective and down to opion at the end of the day and in my opion you cannot have a best player in the world in a team game it just doesnt logically add up because there are too many permutations and opions to make it a solid fact. Plus you must also have to acknowlege to fact that if there were not 10 other players on the pitch the said indivdual wouldnt be able to express themselves or show there "Skill" at an indivdual level in the first place..
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #31: May 08, 2008 11:03:18 am
      Your thinking about it completely wong, mate. Player of the year can be anyone, this person is defined as the best player in football according to how they perform in the position. Asking if Ronaldo can save a shot like Pepe is pointless, everyone knows he cant. Thats not how you define skill. Skill is excelling in your field. Whoever can do this the most and consistently will be awarded player of the year and rightly so, as it shows an initative to play your best.

Cant believe this is a debate. Team sports have space for individual briliance. Not like your going to pay Messi to go in goals.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #32: May 08, 2008 11:38:25 am
      Isn't that selfish like everyone makes out. It's part of his game to play like this, attract defenders to himself and then he'll release a team mate through.

Best player in the world right now? You'd be stupid to disagree... unless you've rarely watched him play.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0f9SYZol-TA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdkl75zBh-k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00kQzyYKxLM&feature=related
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #33: May 08, 2008 11:55:33 am
      Your thinking about it completely wong, mate. Player of the year can be anyone, this person is defined as the best player in football according to how they perform in the position. Asking if Ronaldo can save a shot like Pepe is pointless, everyone knows he cant. Thats not how you define skill. Skill is excelling in your field. Whoever can do this the most and consistently will be awarded player of the year and rightly so, as it shows an initative to play your best.

Cant believe this is a debate. Team sports have space for individual briliance. Not like your going to pay Messi to go in goals.

!!!! You obviously misinterpret what Im saying here, you are now going on about Player of the Year which is a seperate issue from the debate of "The Best Player in the World", my argument means the same thing I wasnt even going on about the Player of the Year which is a media thing defined by opion on what you so rightly point out as skill in their respective position. I do though still stand by what I said which is how can you have a best player in the world when its a team game, its not logical and it doesnt make sense. And no Im not Spock
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #34: May 08, 2008 12:07:47 pm
      It was an example. My point is that if there is Player of the Year then there must be a Best player in the World.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #35: May 08, 2008 02:14:34 pm
      Best player in the world is just the person who plays the best, on a consistent basis, would be one of the first names on the teamsheet, could walk into any team, performs on the big stage.

If you cant have a best in the world then how can you have the best in a team its exactly the same just on a larger scale. How do you define the best in a team say ours, its classed as gerrard. Now go back through those points that i made that define the best player and put gerrards name up against them and see how many apply to him, all of them really. Its exactly the same for the best in the world as it is for the best in the team its just on a bigger scale.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #36: Oct 31, 2008 02:24:52 pm
      MESSI TIPS REDS FOR EUROPEAN GLORY
      Joe Curran 31 October 2008
         Lionel Messi believes Liverpool are favourites to win the Champions League this season.
      The Reds are currently top of their group in the competition and the Barcelona forward tipped them to lift the trophy for the sixth time in their history.

"If I had to choose anyone to win the Champions League then it would be Liverpool," said Messi, who has turned out for Argentina 33 times.

"They have great players like Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard, Dirk Kuyt and Javier Mascherano, and they are difficult to play against.

"Maybe there are teams that play better football but I can see them getting to the final in Rome."
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really meaningful coming from this guy ;D
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #37: Oct 31, 2008 02:27:52 pm
      Surely he's going to get a bollocking from Barca for saying that?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #38: Oct 31, 2008 02:52:58 pm
      PUT IN A CHEEKY OFFER IN JAN TRANSFER.

WOULD LOVE TO SEE MESSI ON THE RIGHT IN A LFC SHIRT.

HAVE A WORD MASCH.
       :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #39: Oct 31, 2008 03:42:50 pm
      Anyone who says Ronaldo is better than Messi need their heads testing IMO.

You take the skill away from Ronaldo and he is nothing, he has to use skill to beat playeres. Messi can beat players with ease without skill (although he can do skills to beat them). His overall play is so much better and he is much better at passing. He also is'nt a diving tw*t!

If anyone should get the ballon d'or other than Torres ofcourse is Messi
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #40: Nov 02, 2008 07:58:26 pm
      Well Barcelona did F**k all this season so he can't be that great.

That's like saying "Liverpool did F**k all last season, so Torres can't be great"

It's a team sport. One player can't support the entire team.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #41: Nov 02, 2008 11:07:21 pm

One player can't support the entire team.

I don't totally agree with that because our Manc friends have one player making their entire team in Ronaldo :laugh:
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #42: Nov 03, 2008 08:39:42 am
      Messi is easily the best player in the world he reminds me a lot of Gerrard with his vision and through balls he is a top class that lad I would love to see him at Liverpool!!!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #43: Nov 04, 2008 01:08:03 am

I tend to disagree, he does dive like a lot of players tend to do and a spitting situation really change my opinion on Messi as a person (though it seems he will get off with nothing). It is really hard to say who is better though but Messi has more flair and style to his game than Ronaldo who more direct and powerful player.

http://sportshocks.blogspot.com/2008/11/video-leo-messi-spits-at-duda.html
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,035 posts | 3352 
      Reply #44: Nov 04, 2008 04:43:37 pm
      Give me Jermaine Pennant, Dirk Kuyt, Albert Riera, Nabil El Zhar, Ryan Babel or Sebastian Leto anyday over Messi  :f_tongueincheek:
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #45: Nov 04, 2008 04:46:34 pm
      Id say about £5m and Messi will be ours ;)

Quick Reply