Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Lionel Messi

Read 84548 times
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Re: Lionel Messi
      Reply #736: Dec 10, 2012 02:02:15 am
      How amazing would it be if somehow Downing scored in July? Better than Messi!

He scored on the 2nd August against Gomel, so close ;D
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #737: Dec 10, 2012 04:27:48 am
      An amazing achievement from a truly amazing player. Never get bored watching the lad.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #738: Dec 10, 2012 06:36:34 am
      An amazing achievement from a truly amazing player. Never get bored watching the lad.
      He's brilliant just brilliant,there would not be enough money in the world to buy him,also he does not appear to have any baggage only good words can be said about him.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #739: Dec 10, 2012 07:41:46 am
      Wow, what an achievement. If only our scouts had found him first.  :P

He's an unstoppable machine.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #740: Dec 10, 2012 10:23:58 am
      Records

World
      1. Most goals scored in a season (club and national team): 82 goals
      2. Most goals scored in a season (club): 73 goals
      3. Most international goals in a year (club and national team): 25 goals (shared with Vivian Woodward)
      4. Most goals scored in a year (club and national team): 86 goals
      5.  Most goals scored in a year (club): 74 goals
      6. Most goals scored in FIFA Club World Cup: 4 goals (held jointly with Denilson)

Europe
      1. Most goals scored in a European Cup season: 14 goals (held jointly with José Altafini)
      2. Most European Cup top scorer awards: 4 awards (shared with Gerd Müller)
      3. Highest scorer in a European Cup game: 5 goals (held jointly with ten other players)

Argentina
      1. Most goals scored in a year (national team): 12 goals (shared with Batistuta)

Spain
      1. Most goals scored in La Liga in a season: 50 goals
      2. Most La Liga hat-tricks in a season: 8 hat-tricks
      3. Most goals scored in the Supercopa de España: 10 goals
      4. Most consecutive La Liga matches scored in: 10 matches (shared with Ronaldo and Mariano Martín)

Barcelona
      1. Top scorer in official competitions: 283 goals
      2. Top scorer in La Liga: 192 goals
      3. Top scorer in UEFA Champions League: 56 goals
      4. Top scorer in European Competitions: 57 goals
      5. Top scorer in international Competitions: 61 goals
      6. Most all competitions hat-tricks overall: 21
      7. Most La Liga hat-tricks overall: 15

What makes Messi so good?
      ESPNSTAR.com analyses the reasons behind Lionel Messi's phenomenal record-breaking antics.
      By Kelvin Yap

Messi is amazing. Everybody knows that.

But what sets him apart from modern-day greats like Sergio Aguero, Neymar, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Wayne Rooney et al?

To find the answer, we have to ask a simpler question: What makes Messi such a brilliant attacking footballer?

The answer is pretty simple, really, once we go back to the basics.

There are three main things you want an attacking player to do - to dribble, to pass and to shoot - which is why all of the above functions are represented in the most basic football video games.

Many fellow football fans I've talked to agreed that Messi isn't the best at each of the above - Ronaldinho was arguably a better ball-carrier and overall entertainer at his peak in 2004, Xavi and Andres Iniesta are widely considered the world's best passers while the likes of Ibrahimovic and Samuel Eto'o are arguably more lethal finishers.

It is no coincidence that Messi has played alongside all of the players mentioned above at some point in his career - it is then interesting to chart Messi's history and see how his career at Barcelona led to him developing his all-round game.

Most of us have heard (or read) the extraordinary story of Messi, the prodigious youngster being signed by Barcelona director Carles Rexach at the age of 11 with a contract written on a napkin.

Most of us have witnessed his extraordinary exploits in the past three years - in each of which he has won the Ballon d'Or.

Getting Messi on his feet

When Messi first burst into the scene, he was an excruciatingly shy youngster - so shy that there are many anecdotes of the Argentine's bashfulness on the internet, ranging from him being too diffident to even ask for meat at an Argentina national team barbeque to his youth teammates that he had played with for three years admitting that they had hardly heard him speak.

This may not seem relevant to his ball-playing skills, but his shyness played a major part in development for when he broke into the first team at Barcelona, for it was the most extroverted player who took him under his wing - Ronaldinho.

It's clear that Messi looked upon the Brazilian as a mentor of sorts on and off the pitch.

When asked in 2007 who he thought the best player in the world was in 2007, Messi said: "I've always said it's Ronaldinho. He's a truly impressive player who can change the course of a game at any moment.

"During the time we've been together [at Barcelona], I've tried to learn as much as possible from him. On top of that, he's always been a great friend."

It's in another interview in 2008 that Ronaldinho's influence on Messi is apparent.

"Ronnie [Ronaldinho] was massively important for me. I was so young when I started to come into Barcelona's dressing room, but he made a point of being first to step up to me and look after me.
      "I try to copy little things Ronaldinho does but more fundamentally I just try to play for the joy of it."

Analysing Messi's dribble

The first thing I did when I was first given the task to analyse the technical side of Messi's game was to naturally watch hours of Messi video clips.

The first thing that struck me was that Messi's dribbling style was very like Ronaldinho's.

I saw a YouTube clip which featured both of them to a non-football watching, track-running friend to get a neutral perspective on it and the first remark was: "They run like Jack Sparrow [from Pirates of the Caribbean]."

It's a funny yet valid point - both of their arms tend to go out sideways instead of pumping in a forward-backward motion which most players use, which helps by spreading their weight over a larger area, enabling them to change direction quickly without losing balance.

If you observe the way they beat opponents with the ball, it's more about when and how they choose to slow down rather than their speed, which is helped by another factor - short legs.

As you can observe, Messi's legs are significantly shorter than the other players, and he uses it to his advantage by keeping a small stride.

For example, over a span of 10 meters at full speed, Messi will have touched the ball six times while another dribbler like Angel Di Maria would have taken half that amount.

Messi is further helped by his short stature (he is only 169cm) and lower center of gravity, which allows him to change directions more easily and dodge past defenders without compromising his speed.

Back to the point of Ronaldinho's influence - go to YouTube to compare Messi from, say, 2005, to one of him in 2012 (you have 10 minutes to go watch it starting from.... now!)

The Messi from 2005 was already an exceptional talent with the speed and trickery to beat players, but compare it to the current Messi.

The big difference is that Messi utilises the start-and-stop a lot more to throw his opponents off pace, which was a trademark of Ronaldinho at his peak.

Messi lacked the outrageous trickery of Ronaldinho, but it's not necessarily a bad thing - he simply took the essence of the Brazilian's ability to get past players and incorporated it into his more direct game.

The rise of Messi's passing game

Ronaldinho may have helped Messi out of his shell but his off-field influence was worrying the Barcelona board. The Brazilian himself fell victim to his partying ways and went on a steep decline which prompted his sale in 2008.

It turned out for the better as it allowed Barcelona‘s current ‘tiki-taka' style to come to the fore and paved way for Messi's passing game to develop.

Messi himself admitted that he was always more of a ‘dribbler' than a ‘passer' at Barcelona's La Masia academy, in an interview with El Pais in 2012.

"I was corrected, but I don't really remember anything specific," he revealed, "They did respect my way of playing, but it's true that the philosophy here is to play one-touch football but I never passed the ball!

"They told me many times to get rid of the ball earlier but they realised that it wasn't working and they gave up.

"Little by little I started passing the ball more. But when I first started playing... I didn't give it to anyone!"

Looking at the statistics in the table above, Messi's contributions spiked in 2010, which was the year where Barcelona switched to a ‘pure' tiki-take style when pure no. 10 strikers like Ibrahimovic and Eto'o left the club to be replaced by wide forwards like David Villa, Alexis Sanchez and Pedro.

It helped that Messi was deployed in a ‘false nine' role where he had a choice to play as a striker or drop deeper to create space for his team mates in front.

If you watch a YouTube clip of Messi's assists, it can be seen that his most of his assists were aimed between the center-back and the full back for the wide forwards to finish - a trademark of Barcelona's tiki-take style where others like Cesc Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta can be seen making the same passes.

As a product of La Masia, Messi also developed the trait of keeping his head up when having the ball and frequently noticing the movements of his team mates even before he receives the ball - a habit which can be observed with passers like Paul Scholes, Andrea Pirlo and Xavi.

Finishing it off

Messi's goal record is nothing short of phenomenal, especially for someone who doesn't play as a pure striker.

His goals are actually very varied, ranging from the world-class precise long-range shots into top corners to dead-calm finishes after mazy dribbles bypassing half the opposing a la Maradona.

However, it's the simple ones, the tap-ins that Messi is underrated for.

Ask any striker and they will agree that it's the skill to elude defenders and pop up unguarded that is hardest to master as it relies less on physical technique and more on instinct.

There are a few strikers who seem to able to consistently turn on the ability - Gerd Muller (whose record Messi is anticipated to break) , Ruud van Nistelrooy, Pippo Inzaghi and Eto'o to name a few from the modern greats. None of them are the fastest, strongest or the most powerful finishers but they didn't need to be - they had the uncanny knack to sneak up at the right places, right time to score an easy goal.

It's the same for Messi - he has the natural instinct to pop up at the right moment to simply pass the ball into the net.

Combine that with his ability to place the ball into any part of the net with unerring accuracy, it's no surprise that Messi is sending goalscoring records tumbling every time he steps on the pitch.

Messi's most underrated characteristic

It's inevitable schoolboys (or even amateur footballers like myself) look up to top footballers and try to play like them on the pitch, and it's actually the same for Messi, who seems to be on a constant journey to improve.

The difference is that where our success may be limited to mimicking Cristiano Ronaldo's trademark free kick stance before blasting the ball overhead, Messi has the immense ability to pull off well, pretty much whatever he wants to do with the ball.

This is where Messi isn't given enough credit for - he joined Barcelona as a prodigious talent but he was always willing to learn and improve as a player from those around him - and fortunately for him, he had the best to learn from along his career.

As a result, we witnessed him transform from an already-brilliant wonderkid into a world-class phenomenon with the ability to dribble like Ronaldinho and pass like Xavi and Iniesta.

In other words, Messi is a world-class midfielder, winger and striker rolled into one.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #741: Dec 10, 2012 12:26:21 pm
      Quite an astonishing achievement and for me definitely the best in my lifetime.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #742: Dec 10, 2012 06:36:46 pm
      Quite an astonishing achievement and for me definitely the best in my lifetime.

Couldn't agree more Deb, deserves every success, seems a real nice fella as well.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #743: Dec 10, 2012 08:02:28 pm
      Couldn't agree more Deb, deserves every success, seems a real nice fella as well.

I think this point gets overlooked. He is obviously confident in his own ability but comes across as humble and modest.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #744: Dec 10, 2012 08:08:06 pm

I think this point gets overlooked. He is obviously confident in his own ability but comes across as humble and modest.

Agree, he's no arrogant showoff that's for sure.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,491 posts | 232 
      Reply #745: Dec 10, 2012 10:15:35 pm
      On that ESPN article I stopped reading when they mentioned modern-day greats and Wayne Rooney in the same sentence.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #746: Dec 11, 2012 01:17:05 am
      Lionel Messi: Gerd Mueller praises forward for goals record

Gerd Mueller has paid tribute to Lionel Messi for breaking his record of most goals in a calendar year.

Mueller scored 85 times for Bayern Munich and West Germany in 1972 but Messi has eclipsed that with 86 goals for Barcelona and Argentina in 2012.

"My record stood for 40 years - 85 goals in 60 games. Now the best player in the world has broken it," Mueller told German newspaper Sport1.de.

"I'm delighted for him. He is an incredible player, gigantic."

Former striker Mueller was 27 when he scored 72 for Bayern Munich and 13 for West Germany, setting the previous record.

Three-time World Player of the Year Messi, 25, has two league matches and one King's Cup tie to add to his total before the end of the year.

"He's such a nice and modest professional and I hope he gets one or two more goals in 2012 and that he can then hold on to the record for the next 40 years," added Mueller.

"He's fantastic. He only has one defect and that is that he doesn't play for Bayern Munich!"

Messi could be crowned World Player of the Year for a fourth time when the winner is announced in January, with Barcelona team-mate Andres Iniesta and Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo also in the running for the award.

Messi said: "I'll try to score more goals to make it more difficult for the next player that tries to break it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20667982
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #747: Dec 12, 2012 11:38:20 pm
      Another 2 goals today ... that put hims on 88 goals this year.

However, Zambian FA claims that their player, Godfrey Chitalu scored 107 goals in 1972.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #748: Dec 16, 2012 09:53:21 pm
      Another 2 just now. Up to 90 and 38 for the season.

Scored at least a brace in each of his last 8 starts, and has got 6 league braces in a row.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #749: Dec 16, 2012 10:19:16 pm
      Another 2 just now. Up to 90 and 38 for the season.

Scored at least a brace in each of his last 8 starts, and has got 6 league braces in a row.

Incredible, actually missed this match, thought if any team could give them a game Atletico might, but 4 - 1 suggests otherwise. He's slowly creeping up towards a career average of 1 per game, a bit off, but if he maintains close to his current scoring rate he will surpass it at some point in his career, absolutely astounding.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #750: Dec 18, 2012 03:56:13 pm
      If he continues this current form, he'll hit 90 goals this season alone.

Anyways .. apparently Liverpool have scored 84 goals this year ... 6 less than Messi himself ;D
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #751: Dec 22, 2012 08:24:24 pm
      Another for Messi today, 91 for the calendar year, that is a truly astounding record.

Congratulations to him, set himself quite a standard to live up to for next year! :)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,441 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #752: Dec 24, 2012 11:00:55 am
      And still people peddle the bullshit about not doing it in another league, namely the EPL  :mad:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #753: Dec 24, 2012 11:13:51 pm
      And still people peddle the bullshit about not doing it in another league, namely the EPL  :mad:

Utter sh*t as far as I am concerned because he has already torn apart United and scored against them, tore Arsenal apart and even got 4 in one game against them and although he didn't score against Chelsea he tore them apart too!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #754: Dec 25, 2012 03:08:37 pm
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,255 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #755: Jan 07, 2013 08:05:13 pm
      Not a fan to be honest, but WTF is he wearing?

:lmao:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,275 posts | 4937 
      Reply #756: Jan 07, 2013 08:06:22 pm

Do you mean you're not a fan of Messi RP?

Or his ridiculous clothing?
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #757: Jan 07, 2013 08:08:16 pm

WTF is that all about?

I suppose you can get away with wearing anything when you're the best footballer on the planet.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,255 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #758: Jan 07, 2013 08:10:46 pm
      Do you mean you're not a fan of Messi RP?

Or his ridiculous clothing?

Don't get me wrong, he's not bad, :roll:

I'm just not a fan.

Quick Reply