Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

The circling speculation over Xabi Alonso

Read 50194 times
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: Breaking news: Xabi signs pre-contract Real Madrid
      Reply #23: May 11, 2008 01:35:17 pm
      Hopefully Xabi stays.  But we'll soon see if he gets interviewed after the game.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #24: May 11, 2008 01:37:59 pm
      Hopefully Xabi stays.  But we'll soon see if he gets interviewed after the game.

Me too... I for one wouldn't swap him for Gareth Barry... no way.

I had have heard rumours locally, here in Madrid, for months that Xabi's missus badly WANTED a move... you just never know do you?

Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #25: May 11, 2008 01:45:34 pm
      please god let this not be true....please please
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #26: May 11, 2008 01:46:58 pm
      Good player, but we won't miss him.

Yeah, like we didn't miss him this season...    ::)

Don't think he's our most intelligent player. I've seen far many players who boast so much more intelligence than he does, I think Lucas has more of a natural footballing intelligence than Xabi does.

Can't agree with any of that. Lucas is a good young player, but Xabi is a footballer's footballer. Regarding footballing intelligence - it takes one to know one...   :P

The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #27: May 11, 2008 01:48:13 pm
      Would you prefer me not to post what I hear with my own two ears... ?

Not being an expert on Hippo poo... not sure what you think is bollocks the "news" or me posting it up ...or both. ;D

Its open ended mate, bollox and hippo poo if he does sign for F***ing Real Madrid and bollox and hippo poo if he doesnt, cant explain it any more than that really..
      9_ONMYBACK
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #28: May 11, 2008 01:48:37 pm
      xabi has done some great things in the past for the club, he will have a good euro champs and if he wants to go we have to wish him well.
      We have adequate replacements and brilliant youngsters.
      The likes of Astrit Asjdarevic, Damien Plessis, Jay Spearing and Danny Guthrie, if he stays, are all waiting inthe wings.
      Mascha and Lucas are a match made in heaven-both have qualities that Anfield greats like Souness, Whelan, Molby and McMahon showed in their heyday.
      Rafa is the most tactically astute coach in the game and also shrewd in the transfer market, don't worry guys, just wait for an unexpected arrival.
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #29: May 11, 2008 02:23:02 pm
      He's not in the 16 today, if that means anything...
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #30: May 11, 2008 02:27:13 pm
      Ra Ra I really don't understand where you've got the idea Lucas has a better footballing brain and is a better player than Alonso from... What exactly has he done to show that? Okay this is his first season and he's young, but we can't keep having our team underperforming only to explain it away with "oh, they're young, they'll be better next year". It's always next year, so why don't we have players that are experienced and have quality. Alonso possesses both and I'd hate to see him leave, even if it means Barry is joining. I hope this isn't true and we keep Xabi, as he's an asset to the team, and when you have him and Masch in the centre of the park you feel alot more secure in possession.

Lucas Leiva looks like one who can playmake and make very clever short passing, something Xabi cannot do!

And about this... Do you watch alot of full matches Ra Ra? Because if you did you'd so so so often see Xabi around the centre circle between attack and defence picking up passes, keeping the ball and spreading the play. There are so few players that have the ability to recieve, turn away from a marker and play a pinpoint ball, be it simple or hard, under alot of pressure to the level that Alonso is. I really really hope next year we'll keep this formation and Masch, Xabi and Gerrard will all be starting through the middle. Probably the best feasible options we'll have in those positions....
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #31: May 11, 2008 02:29:19 pm
      Ra Ra I really don't understand where you've got the idea Lucas has a better footballing brain and is a better player than Alonso from... What exactly has he done to show that? Okay this is his first season and he's young, but we can't keep having our team underperforming only to explain it away with "oh, they're young, they'll be better next year". It's always next year, so why don't we have players that are experienced and have quality. Alonso possesses both and I'd hate to see him leave, even if it means Barry is joining. I hope this isn't true and we keep Xabi, as he's an asset to the team, and when you have him and Masch in the centre of the park you feel alot more secure in possession.

And about this... Do you watch alot of full matches Ra Ra? Because if you did you'd so so so often see Xabi around the centre circle between attack and defence picking up passes, keeping the ball and spreading the play. There are so few players that have the ability to recieve, turn away from a marker and play a pinpoint ball, be it simple or hard, under alot of pressure to the level that Alonso is. I really really hope next year we'll keep this formation and Masch, Xabi and Gerrard will all be starting through the middle. Probably the best feasible options we'll have in those positions....

Well said on all fronts, Sir.
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #32: May 11, 2008 02:32:53 pm
      He's not in the 16 today, if that means anything...

Aye, no Crouch, Riise neither which to me speaks volumes

Couldn't give a stuff about the other 2 but I hope Xabi stays
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #33: May 11, 2008 02:35:55 pm
      Aye, no Crouch, Riise neither which to me speaks volumes

Couldn't give a stuff about the other 2 but I hope Xabi stays

I do too, unless he'd rather be back home, which is understandable - all players look to move home sooner or later and maybe he needs a new challenge.

In which case, I'd rather have Barry who wants to play for Liverpool.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #34: May 11, 2008 02:39:33 pm

I do too, unless he'd rather be back home, which is understandable - all players look to move home sooner or later and maybe he needs a new challenge.

In which case, I'd rather have Barry who wants to play for Liverpool.

Spot on. We should always have players who want to play for Liverpool. And if Xabi wants to be back home, then good luck to him and thanks for the memories.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #35: May 11, 2008 02:42:58 pm
      ...cant explain it any more than that really..

Pity.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #36: May 11, 2008 03:03:03 pm
      I personally dont believe it because it would have been announced either on sky sports news, setanta, the bbc or the liverpool website. Also Rafa aid he wants him to stay and alonso said he wanted to stay just a few weeks ago and at real madrid there is less chance of 1st team football. I wont believe it until i see some official confirmation
      « Last Edit: May 11, 2008 03:05:12 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #37: May 11, 2008 03:09:44 pm
      I personally dont believe it because it would have been announced either on sky sports news, setanta, the bbc or the liverpool website. Also Rafa aid he wants him to stay and alonso said he wanted to stay just a few weeks ago and at real madrid there is less chance of 1st team football. I wont believe it until I see some official confirmation

Tend to agree with you mate... but it was on the news here that' all I can say.

I.X.W.T.

kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #38: May 11, 2008 03:13:16 pm
      Be a big miss Alonso is a class player to have in the squad,maybe not miss him as much as if we didnt have Mascherano.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #39: May 11, 2008 03:15:53 pm
      Well if he does go then maybe Rafa will use that money for a winger like Quaresma. If he is going it had better be for at least 20 million seeing as we got him for around 10million and he has improved alot since then.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #40: May 11, 2008 03:16:07 pm
      There's something on the story on this link.

http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=691374

Marca has claimed that Rafa Benitez has given the move the go-ahead and Alonso could be a Merengues player by the time he leaves for the European Championships.

It seems as if Real are acting quickly as they do not want to lose out to other clubs who are also interested in the Liverpool midfielder.

The Reds are asking for €28 million but it seems that Real will be able to complete the operation with €24 million.

Reports have also suggested that Los Blancos may throw in Ruben de la Red in order to try and pay a lower transfer fee for their target.

Juventus have also been after the midfielder but it seems likely that Real will land their man as Alonso is not keen on a move to Italy and instead he wants to return to his native Spain.

Meanwhile, Bernd Schuster’s side will be hoping they can continue their La Liga triumph with a win against Real Zaragoza on Sunday. 

24m Euro's, must be around £20m in todays exchange rate, so if it's true, then that's a great price.
      Again this lad's name pops up, Ruben de la Red. What price bracket would he fit into ?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #41: May 11, 2008 03:18:29 pm
      There's something on the story on this link.

http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=691374

Marca has claimed that Rafa Benitez has given the move the go-ahead and Alonso could be a Merengues player by the time he leaves for the European Championships.

It seems as if Real are acting quickly as they do not want to lose out to other clubs who are also interested in the Liverpool midfielder.

The Reds are asking for €28 million but it seems that Real will be able to complete the operation with €24 million.

Reports have also suggested that Los Blancos may throw in Ruben de la Red in order to try and pay a lower transfer fee for their target.

Juventus have also been after the midfielder but it seems likely that Real will land their man as Alonso is not keen on a move to Italy and instead he wants to return to his native Spain.

Meanwhile, Bernd Schuster’s side will be hoping they can continue their La Liga triumph with a win against Real Zaragoza on Sunday. 

24m Euro's, must be around £20m in todays exchange rate, so if it's true, then that's a great price.
      Again this lad's name pops up, Ruben de la Red. What price bracket would he fit into ?

I would'nt believe it if it is on talkaloadofbull.com
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #42: May 11, 2008 03:27:41 pm
      Yeah, like we didn't miss him this season...    ::)

We didn't, we missed Daniel Agger. We have been as strong as ever in the central midfield throughout the season, it was the defense that was shakey until we signed Skrtel in January.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #43: May 11, 2008 03:52:40 pm
      Ra Ra can you provide some counter argument with evidence that Lucas can fill the gap if we were to lose Xabi?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #44: May 11, 2008 03:56:09 pm
      on the 1st of may alonso said he wants to stay and on the 9th rafa said he is not for sale and there is nothing about it on any webites (including madrids) so i honestly think its just a rumour
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #45: May 11, 2008 03:57:53 pm
      Ra Ra can you provide some counter argument with evidence that Lucas can fill the gap if we were to lose Xabi?

It's my opinion that Lucas can fill the gap. He's a young player and has massive potential.. do I really need to say any more? That's my arguement and I can't be proved wrong or right, it's my opinion.

Quick Reply