Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Patrik Berger's Liverpool remarks cost his job

Read 5167 times
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Patrik Berger's Liverpool remarks cost his job
      Reply #23: May 07, 2008 10:35:41 am
      I think Paddy Berger knew he was on the way out of Villa anyway so he had nothing to lose by speaking honestly.ONeill is just using this as an excuse to get rid of Paddy.

Without a doubt mate. Here's one of the original articles published when Berger first made his comments:

Barry is leaving Villa - Berger

Patrik Berger believes Gareth Barryā€™s exit from Villa this summer is inevitable - as Arsenal looked poised to join the bidding for him.

Liverpool are favourites to sign Barry and the signs are the Reds are the Villa captainā€™s preferred destination as they look to replace Xabi Alonso, who is set to leave Anfield.

But Arsenal, who will lose Mathieu Flamini in the summer, are also interested and are likely to match Liverpoolā€™s bid.

Chelsea are also in the frame, especially if Frank Lampard seeks a way out of Stamford Bridge.

With all potential suitors offering Championsā€™ League football, Barryā€™s future could now come down to who tables the most lucrative offer to him.

Villaā€™s former Anfield favourite Berger, who won three cups with Liverpool in 2001, insists Barry should join Rafa Benitezā€™s side.

ā€œGareth knows my opinion - Iā€™ve told him, itā€™s Liverpool and if I was in his position Iā€™d go there tomorrow,ā€ said Berger.ā€Itā€™s the opportunity of a lifetime. Iā€™d go and experience it. Heā€™s the heart of our team and it would be a massive challenge for him.

ā€œIt would be Champions League every year and heā€™d be challenging to win trophies every year.Liverpool doesnā€™t come after you every year. But Iā€™m not surprised they want to sign him.

ā€œThey want him because heā€™s had a fantastic season and he played very well for the national team as well.ā€

Out of contract Berger also revealed he is quitting Villa for possibly one last Premier League hurrah. Portsmouth are interested.

ā€œI havenā€™t decided yet but Iā€™m looking to spend at least another year in the Premier League with another club before going home,ā€ he said.

LINK

He was already on his way well before he made these comments. All O'Neill actually said was that he won't be playing a part in proceedings due to his comments, meaning the last game of the season, no mention of this being the reason he is leaving the club. The media, as usual, have jumped on this story & tried to turn it into something it isn't, saying that his comments are the reason he's leaving the club when they're clearly not.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #24: May 07, 2008 10:44:18 am
      Eddie thanks for that it makes a good read and also shows the true situation and not some headline grabbing reporters take on the situation.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #25: May 07, 2008 11:18:32 am
      Been doing some research on Villa forums, they are a bunch of bitter bas**rds let me tell ya! All attacking our club and saying how sh*t we are without Gerrard and Torres and are bullying them. Some are asking for 20 million but get this, thats in comparison to MASCH! One man said: 'If Mascherano was 17 million then Barry is 25 million' FKN LUDACRIS! We're going to be priced out of this one unless we act fast.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #26: May 07, 2008 12:16:56 pm
      Seems like the media have blown this out of proportion again Paddy Berger was on his way even before he made these comments,which are true by the way come on Barry sign for a proper team.
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #27: May 07, 2008 02:26:27 pm
      It would be brilliant to see a player from Hastings, Kent (Kent being where im from) playing for the club of my dreams.

I rate Barry highly, he works extremely hard, i wouldnt say he's world class by any means necessary, but he's a perfect team player and a determined individual.

Rafa sign him up!

Matt
      Torresdinho
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts | -1 
      Reply #28: May 07, 2008 04:04:59 pm
      I Agree.
      Barry would be a great addition to the club. Well done Patrik.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #29: May 07, 2008 05:37:19 pm
      Hmmm... Still not convinced Barry is better than Xavi...

To pay over 15 mil for a "Team player" is a joke... WE NEED WORLD CLASS ADDITIONS!!!

EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #30: May 07, 2008 10:27:31 pm
      Been doing some research on Villa forums, they are a bunch of bitter bas**rds let me tell ya! All attacking our club and saying how sh*t we are without Gerrard and Torres and are bullying them. Some are asking for 20 million but get this, thats in comparison to MASCH! One man said: 'If Mascherano was 17 million then Barry is 25 million' FKN LUDACRIS! We're going to be priced out of this one unless we act fast.

What has an American Hip-Hop star got to do with anything ???
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #31: May 07, 2008 10:53:26 pm
      Theres some right F***ing dross being posted on a Villa forum I had a look on. It really is F***ing child like!

Few posts admiring our young reserve players though ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #32: May 08, 2008 08:33:32 am

Pardon the grammar. Meant Ludicrous.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #33: May 08, 2008 09:11:31 am
       I hope you lads who visited the Villa forum got decontaminated B4 you came back home to LFCREDS.COM forum. ;D After all this is a disease free forum.
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #34: May 08, 2008 11:33:28 pm

:lmao:
      drawde
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts | -1 
      • Adward
      Reply #35: May 10, 2008 06:46:16 pm
      Just a few points on this...

F**k Barry. Not needed, Alonso is miles better than him.

O'Neill is a top quality manager who has every right to be incensed at Berger's comments.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #36: May 11, 2008 02:05:33 am
      I wonder what club Berger will be at next season now he wont be at villa, i think he could go to Stoke.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #37: May 11, 2008 08:11:30 am
      Is Gareth Barry really worth all this fuss? As i said in another thread, I can only see him playing left mid, and for a little more than 10mill we could get someone much better.

I reckon that Rafa is going for English players because F***ing Sepp Blatter is trying to bring in the '6 plus 5' rule.

Good player Barry is, but he definitely isn't worth all this fuss.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #38: May 11, 2008 11:39:02 am
      Berger's form and age cost him his job...the rest is cheap excuses. End of.
      drawde
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts | -1 
      • Adward
      Reply #39: May 11, 2008 03:43:50 pm
      Theres some right F***ing dross being posted on a Villa forum I had a look on. It really is F***ing child like!

Few posts admiring our young reserve players though ;)

Aston Villa have some good youth of there own actually- players like Adam Mcgurk, Yago Bellon, Zoltan Steiber and Nathan Delofounoso have shown promise.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #40: May 11, 2008 04:17:10 pm
      Aston Villa have some good youth of there own actually- players like Adam Mcgurk, Yago Bellon, Zoltan Steiber and Nathan Delofounoso have shown promise.

Weren't good enough to beat ours the other day though! ;)

Quick Reply