Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Albert Riera (Espanyol)

Read 42520 times
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Albert Riera (Espanyol)
      May 15, 2008 02:36:32 pm
      Am I the only one who knows about this guy ?

We have been linked to him a few times and I think he can be the solution to our left wing problem.

Albert Riera

Albert Riera Ortega (born April 15, 1982 in Manacor) is a Spanish footballer who currently plays for RCD Espanyol.

Riera, a left sided midfielder, started his career in 2000 with RCD Mallorca, winning a Copa del Rey medal in 2003. In the summer of 2003 he moved to Bordeaux, where he was a first team regular for two seasons. In 2005 he moved to RCD Espanyol, but was unable to establish himself in the first team, and in January 2006 he moved on loan to Manchester City, making his debut in a 3-1 Manchester derby win over Manchester United. Manchester City were unable to agree a fee for Riera and he returned to Espanyol for the 2006-07 season. During that season, which included an almost 100% successful run in the UEFA Cup (Espanyol lost on penalties to Sevilla FC, with Riera scoring in regulation time) Riera displayed a vast array of skills.

Riera won his first senior cap for Spain national football team on October 13th 2007, when he scored a spectacular goal from outside the box against Denmark, in a 3-1 Euro 2008 qualifier away win. Incidentally, teammate Raúl Tamudo also scored in the match.

----------------------------------

Fantastic player with so much in his locker, he was in the prem at one point with man city but it was just a loan and he only didnt stay because a fee couldnt be agreed. Hope we can get him, he's 26 and a very talented winger. Reminds me a tiny bit of lil luis with all the flicks and tricks but without losing the ball.

Can play a fantastic pass forward, crosses well and loves to take players on. He's a great player to have in a first team especially for counter attacking he makes decisions quickly and isnt afraid to have a shot at goal.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CmVAMIIiSqM
      sorry for the mad music

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DeWgBpzU7vk&feature=related
      good game against valencia, sorry for the music on this one aswell almost bad as the other one haha
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2008 12:53:03 pm by JD »
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Albert Riera
      Reply #1: May 16, 2008 01:16:56 am
      Hmm TBH never heard of him.

Looks good, but thats the highlight real.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #2: May 16, 2008 01:20:51 am
      People dont seem keen on him. I still hope we get him, great player.
      Fowler_ynwa
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 71 posts |
      Reply #3: May 16, 2008 01:53:44 am
      Did you read anything about a price for him? Even though it was a youtube clip I did like the look of his attributes, and we're definately lacking skillful players. Can you tell me about his speed? It looks like he has quick feet that he uses to deceptively beat a man but he doesn't look particularly fast.
      SuperSkrtel
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      Reply #4: May 16, 2008 03:28:44 am
      Looks good could be worth a punt still rather Joauqin(dreaming!!) or Silva,though, he does have a sweet left foot all the same
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: May 16, 2008 08:16:01 am
      No thanks. May have tricks and all but we dont have money to piss away. We need proven quality on the big stage and Silva is what we need down the left. Maybe as back up this guy would be alright but we cant piss money away on back up this transfer season. So no for mine.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #6: May 16, 2008 01:01:48 pm
      From SkySports:

Liverpool linked with Riera
      Espanyol not keen on Leto swap deal

Liverpool are eyeing a move for Espanyol midfielder Albert Riera, according to reports emanating from Spain.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez is rumoured to be a keen admirer of the 26-year-old Spain international.

It is claimed that Liverpool may offer a fee in the region of £8million with winger Sebastian Leto, who signed at Anfield in 2007, included in the deal.

However, former Reds scout Paco Herrera, now at Espanyol, has revealed that the club would be unwilling to accept a part-exchange offer.

"It is certain that we are interested in Leto, but our idea is to prepare a separate deal for Riera," Herrera said.

Tottenham Hotspur and Fiorentina are also rumoured to be interested in securing Riera's signature.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #7: May 22, 2008 02:32:19 pm
      He sounds keen!  ;) From SkySports:

Riera demands a transfer
      Reported Liverpool target angles after move

Albert Riera revealed his pent up frustration at Espanyol's poor end to the season by demanding a transfer, after hitting out at fans that abused the team and the board for not defending their players.

The highly-rated left winger has come in for some strong criticism after being dropped from Ernesto Valverde's team as they won just three out of their final 19 games of the campaign.

In recent days Riera has said that the team's form cost him his place in the Spain squad for Euro 2008 and has now spoken out about the barrage of abuse aimed at the team by their own fans last weekend.

"I want to leave Espanyol. I do not want to be part of a club that does not take care of or protect its players," he told a press conference. "I do not know if I will go to Liverpool or any other team. I am staying hopeful and I would really like everything sorted out within the next two weeks.

"It would be best for everyone concerned because I know that my transfer would clearly be beneficial. I do not want to cause any problems."

Espanyol's most vociferous section of fans, the Curva Jove, held up large placards stating that the players should have started their summer holidays rather than play the game against Almeria.

Unpleasant

"The things with those banners last Sunday against Almeria was intolerable. All that about the European Championships and going on holiday was very unpleasant and should not have been allowed.

"There are some things that should not be allowed and we all know that in certain sections of the ground and with certain sets of fans the board allows almost anything to happen. That is not normal and cannot go on.

"I have had enough of all these stories about in-fighting, bad feelings between players and things causing problems. Every time we do not win this comes up. This does not help at all.

"The dressing room at Espanyol is just like any other club with good things and bad. Nothing more, nothing less."
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #8: May 22, 2008 06:48:25 pm
      Read this earlier. Now is the time to go for him, he's looking for a move and even mentioned us so im sure rafa will make a move now. Cant let another club steal one of our targets yet again, especially spurs.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #9: May 22, 2008 07:03:56 pm
      I didnt watch him play many times for Espanyol but, when I did, he looked very good (including the UEFA Cup final vs Sevilla where they lost in the penalties). He has been called up for Spain lately and even scored in an international game not long ago.

If he is coming to our squad then I think I would be very happy for it. It doesn't mean we wouldnt still need a proven world class player like Silva, but when you look at our wingers, what do we have for the left? Kewell, who is always injured and is probably leaving; Benayoun, who is not even exactly a left winger and hardly impressed that much; Babel who had his best games playing upfront (when he has to come back too much he can't produce anything).

So if we get him to be a very good squad option but do not forget about signing more quality to our wings, then I'm totally in for it. Maybe I'm getting too carried away with the little I know about the player, but that's the way I feel about it right now.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #10: May 22, 2008 07:19:40 pm
      Not a bad left foot on the boy..................... ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H2DlCwdi4U
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #11: May 22, 2008 07:20:04 pm
      Im not sure how good this guy is, 8million is alot but im sure rafa knows what he's doing IRWT
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #12: May 22, 2008 07:33:02 pm
      Hmm... not heard too much of him.

Looks good on those clips but as I say they are highlights not lowlights.  Just got confirmation from a Spanish mate that he is a good player, but Babel is more talented!

::)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #13: May 22, 2008 07:34:27 pm
      Is he in the spain squad for the euros?
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #14: May 22, 2008 07:49:55 pm
      Is he in the spain squad for the euros?

Get your coat sir!  :D

Read the above stories ^^ ::)
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #15: May 22, 2008 08:10:50 pm
      Hmm... not heard too much of him.

Looks good on those clips but as I say they are highlights not lowlights.  Just got confirmation from a Spanish mate that he is a good player, but Babel is more talented!

::)

Saw him when he played for Man City on loan Court. Why they didn't take up the option to sign him is way beyond me.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #16: May 22, 2008 08:11:26 pm
      Saw him when he played for Man City on loan Court. Why they didn't take up the option to sign him is way beyond me.

sh*t.  No wonder I recognized the name!!!

Was he any good like?  Seeing he's had Prem exp!
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #17: May 22, 2008 08:18:33 pm
      sh*t.  No wonder I recognized the name!!!

Was he any good like?  Seeing he's had Prem exp!

From the games I saw of him he was one of their best players that season (can't remember what season it was mind :D).
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #18: May 22, 2008 08:26:37 pm

2005/06  ;)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #19: May 22, 2008 08:37:08 pm
      I am very unsure about this lad.

Seen him have very decent games at international and domestic levels... and also seen him completely dissapear from games for large periods of time.

For me it would be a No i'm afraid.

We need players that are proven quality... not potentially brilliant... but are brilliant already and will hit the ground running in the new season... I don't think this lad is in that category.

Every storm cloud has a Silva lining!!!
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #20: May 22, 2008 08:39:35 pm
      I think that if our budget is limited, which we presume it is, we should definitely go for Riera. £8million is worth a pop. And if he fails to make an impact and DIC come in, we can always sell on.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #21: May 22, 2008 08:48:16 pm
      I think that if our budget is limited, which we presume it is, we should definitely go for Riera. £8million is worth a pop. And if he fails to make an impact and DIC come in, we can always sell on.

It is surely. Im convinced it is, why would the americans give us the money to buy silva. We simply arent going to get him unless we sell someone for about 15 million. I want Silva here more than any other player we have been linked to but can anyone on here honestly see it happening without us selling someone for 15 million upwards ?

I think Riera is a good choice, jump at the chance to see him in a liverpool shirt. Good player, out and out winger. We cant afford more so why not, what else are we going to do we dont have the money for someone like silva i hate it so much but its the truth, who else bar mancini (and he has to buy out his contract for us to get him) can we get for as little as 8 million who could do a good job in solving our left wing problem ? I dont think there is anyone personally.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #22: May 22, 2008 09:07:15 pm

I would save the GBP 8M and keep it for a better player.

I for one would prefer very few Quality signings, instead of a few mediocre ones... we need Quality not Quantity at the club right now... the depth of squad will come from the reserves talent factory that Rafa and Ablett are so shrewdly running...  In Benitez & Sons We Trust.

Quick Reply