Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Albert Riera (Espanyol)

Read 42521 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Albert Riera
      Reply #23: May 23, 2008 05:39:04 am
      I still believe back up at best for this bloke if we want to win something this season. We have to stop accepting these kind of players if we want to win the Prem. Hold out for Silva first or use half the cost of this guy to bring in Mancini.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #24: May 23, 2008 05:51:44 am
      I still believe back up at best for this bloke if we want to win something this season. We have to stop accepting these kind of players if we want to win the Prem. Hold out for Silva first or use half the cost of this guy to bring in Mancini.

I kinda agree with you but I think we need back up players for his position anyway, so that's why I would like if we got him. Obviously only if we would still be able to bid for a top winger, but with the very limited options we have to the left, Riera sounds like a good name to me.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #25: May 23, 2008 05:55:28 am
      I kinda agree with you but I think we need back up players for his position anyway, so that's why I would like if we got him. Obviously only if we would still be able to bid for a top winger, but with the very limited options we have to the left, Riera sounds like a good name to me.

If we buy Silva, we dont really need to spend more for back up as we have Ryan who can play there if god forbid something happened to Silva. So in that respect we are saving money.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #26: May 23, 2008 07:59:30 am
      I would save the GBP 8M and keep it for a better player.

I for one would prefer very few Quality signings, instead of a few mediocre ones... we need Quality not Quantity at the club right now... the depth of squad will come from the reserves talent factory that Rafa and Ablett are so shrewdly running...  In Benitez & Sons We Trust.

I agree completely with what you say, but don't you get the feeling that, given the ownership issues we're going through, we're going to make very few signings this summer anyway? I don't see the Yanks shelling out any money this summer unless we sell on others... which of our players would we have to sell to make 2-3 high quality signings? The very best ones I think. I don't see the interest in selling our best talent - we'd be making holes in certain positions to fill others, it doesn't make sense.

It is surely. Im convinced it is, why would the americans give us the money to buy silva. We simply arent going to get him unless we sell someone for about 15 million. I want Silva here more than any other player we have been linked to but can anyone on here honestly see it happening without us selling someone for 15 million upwards ?

I think Riera is a good choice, jump at the chance to see him in a liverpool shirt. Good player, out and out winger. We cant afford more so why not, what else are we going to do we dont have the money for someone like silva i hate it so much but its the truth, who else bar mancini (and he has to buy out his contract for us to get him) can we get for as little as 8 million who could do a good job in solving our left wing problem ? I dont think there is anyone personally.

My point exactly! ;)
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #27: May 23, 2008 11:19:59 am
      I agree completely with what you say, but don't you get the feeling that, given the ownership issues we're going through, we're going to make very few signings this summer anyway? I don't see the Yanks shelling out any money this summer unless we sell on others... which of our players would we have to sell to make 2-3 high quality signings? The very best ones I think. I don't see the interest in selling our best talent - we'd be making holes in certain positions to fill others, it doesn't make sense.

My point exactly! ;)

This is what i mean. I want Silva so much but how can we wait for him and reject others as a first choice LW because they arent silva. If we had the money for silva we would have bid already but i seriously dont see where this money is coming from. I thought about us going for silva ages ago but as soon as the our targets were revealed I just gave up on us getting him. The only thing that will change my mind as to the prospect of landing Silva is if a big player leaves and to be honest Silva is a great player but not worth selling one of our top players just to secure him.

How we will get him i have no idea so i'd rather not think about getting him. Its like giving myself false hope by thinking we have the money for him when deep down i known we dont have it. And isnt mancini only £4 million if he buys out his contract, we cant really make him do that we can only offer him a move, i dont know if he wants to leave roma but if not he wont buy out his contract.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #28: May 23, 2008 01:23:48 pm
      Silva is in a completely different class to Riera... no comparison.

Silva is world class. Riera is a decent player - no more.

I so hope we can get Silva this summer.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #29: May 23, 2008 01:42:55 pm
      Anfield target Albert Riera asks for transferMay 23 2008

by Ian Doyle, Liverpool Daily Post

LIVERPOOL have been placed on alert after target Albert Riera yesterday underlined his desperation to leave Espanyol.

Riera wants to exit the La Liga outfit after growing tired of criticism from supporters after the team’s poor ending to the season.

Espanyol sporting director Paco Herrera, a former coach and chief scout at Anfield, maintains Riera will only be allowed to leave should a club trigger the £16million release clause in the player’s contract.

Riera is one of several players Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has under consideration.

And the Anfield outfit are hopeful they could capitalise on Riera’s desire to depart to help significantly lower the asking price, with Argentinian winger Sebastian Leto a possible makeweight going the other way.

If Ian Doyle is reporting this then it might be the real thing.  If it is the case I think we can forget Silva.  Don't think Leto will be a big loss, I don't think he was going to make it into the full squad.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #30: May 23, 2008 02:05:45 pm
      I pray he comes good. Please!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #31: May 23, 2008 02:27:55 pm
      Albert Riera I'm not in the Spain squad for Euro 2008 no thank you ;)
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #32: May 23, 2008 02:36:14 pm
      Albert Riera I'm not in the Spain squad for Euro 2008 no thank you ;)

Haha not a good way to judge.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #33: May 23, 2008 02:40:09 pm

Haha a good way to judge.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #34: May 23, 2008 02:48:24 pm

:lmao: Love it.

I think it is too. Not even in the squad i believe is saying something. Although the Spaniards are known for ignoring some talents in place of long time servers/more popular players etc.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #35: May 23, 2008 02:52:10 pm
      :lmao: Love it.

I think it is too. Not even in the squad I believe is saying something. Although the Spaniards are known for ignoring some talents in place of long time servers/more popular players etc.

Aragones is an idiot but surely he has knowledge we don't? If Riera isn't in the squad then obviously Aragones doesn't see too much in him, maybe he's had a bad season with an 11th placed Espanyol?
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #36: May 23, 2008 02:52:39 pm
      Alot of players get dropped though, it doesnt mean they are a bad player. Read the article and what the reason for him being dropped is. Kuyt was dropped recently should we sell him, people work their way back into the side all the time.

As I said before if someone finds a better player for that position who we can afford then I'd be all for it but I cant see anyone better for that money or less. 

Silva would be first choice but unless people are planning to raise the money to give to rafa themselves then its highly unlikely. I heard that Guillem said we were in talks and if we went upto £17 million we would get him. I respect Guillem alot but I think he is wrong again where does he think we are getting this money from. This transfer stuff is so tiring. Only a few people will accept the fact we dont have much money to spend and Silva, Villa, Alves etc demand big prices that we can only afford if we create gaps within our own team by selling important players. Dossena didnt make the italy squad yet people still want him, its more complicated then you dont make the squad for your national side your not good enough for us.
      « Last Edit: May 23, 2008 03:01:53 pm by lil cisse »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #37: May 23, 2008 03:00:22 pm
      He didnt say we will buy him for that much but if we do we will get him.

Dirk, he isnt in the side as they have highly technical players and TBH better players than Dirk but Dirk offers something very unique and key to our game but no theirs.

Riera will never push ahead of Silva and Vicente either.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #38: May 23, 2008 03:08:20 pm
      Alot of players get dropped though, it doesnt mean they are a bad player. Read the article and what the reason for him being dropped is. Kuyt was dropped recently should we sell him, people work their way back into the side all the time.

Yeh but Kuyt is actually a pretty sh*t player don't you think?
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #39: May 23, 2008 03:10:21 pm
      He didnt say we will buy him for that much but if we do we will get him.

Dirk, he isnt in the side as they have highly technical players and TBH better players than Dirk but Dirk offers something very unique and key to our game but no theirs.

Riera will never push ahead of Silva and Vicente either.

No i mean even going for him its not looking likely.

See but you could say the same for Riera, Spain have more talented left wing players and yet riera was in the squad prior to this but has been omitted from it, its not like he has never got a cap he scored a sensational goal on his debut.

It doesnt matter anyway, it happens every season im used to it, shouldnt be that way but it is, different players get judged by different standards, some have exceptions some dont. No-one will worry dossena isnt in the italy squad because its 'hard to break into' but so is the spain one so its the same kind of situation but isnt seen that way. It never makes sense people doubting us buying torres and thought he cant score enough, torres of all people. Benayoun was seen as average then he came and has done well and people are being called insane for saying we should cash in. It always happens, very few people have faith in our signings then when they come good its the opposite.

I just hope the players that come in with doubts over them prove everyone wrong just like other players have in the past.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #40: May 23, 2008 03:12:04 pm
      What we need is Spain's first choice wingers or wide players, just like we've got their first choice striker and look how good he is.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #41: May 23, 2008 03:12:29 pm
      If we are buying a second rate player then its a no mate. I dont want another one. Silva is what we should be aiming for and if Riera is playing second or in this case thrid fiddle to him and Vicente then i dont see this as a move forward.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #42: May 23, 2008 03:15:00 pm
      If we buy 2nd rate then we'll finish like a 2nd rate team, just like every other season since the 90's onwards!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #43: May 23, 2008 03:17:01 pm
      Silva is in a completely different class to Riera... no comparison.

Silva is world class. Riera is a decent player - no more.

I so hope we can get Silva this summer.

Didnt Silva sign a new 7 year contract last summer ?   
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #44: May 23, 2008 03:31:50 pm

Sure did.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #45: May 23, 2008 03:34:19 pm

That doesn't mean anything, doesn't mean we can't sign him. At the end of the day he signed that contract thinking Valencia will only get stronger and stronger.. just wait until the likes of Villa, Albelda and Joaquin leave.. he'll want out aswell!

Quick Reply