Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Video Referee

Read 10025 times
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Re: Fourth official do we need a video ref?
      Reply #23: Apr 26, 2009 06:51:38 pm
      Its this simple, football is no longer a working class game.

Decisions like this cost clubs MILLIONS if they are wrong, im sick of pundits saying it'll ruin the game.  It wont, the game isnt the same anymore - if it is why arent the players on £100 a week!

If it can be brought in, and welcomed into Rugby, im sure it can for our game

Yesterday was a stinker, Webb is an idiot
      Kop-Cnut
      • Forum David Johnson

• 228 posts |
      Video Technology
      Reply #24: Nov 18, 2009 11:34:21 pm
      What is the next step for football.We all saw today that Henry robbed us by keeping the ball in with his hand.This is the worst i have felt since the champions league final in 2007 ! Henry has robbed Keane,Given,Dunne of their last world cup and the FAI of millions

What is the next step for the game their are two solutions i can think off

1) introduce a hawk eye system where each team can make 1 challenge per game and if their challenge is succesful they can make another one ! This system has been succesful in tennis and cricket and would easily work in football

2)Simply ask the player like for eg tonight the referee could have asked Henry did he handball it if he lies he will be given a 5 match ban or something !

anyone think of any other methods ?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Video Technology
      Reply #25: Nov 19, 2009 12:07:51 am
      Fifa got what they wanted them cheating bas**rds at the world cup, that decision tonight was one of the worst I've seen in football, 2 lads off side when the ball came in, one of them then impeded Dunne, Henry stopped the ball going out with his hand and then used his hand again to put it in his path. I feel screwed tonight because we are a small nation. Henry you are a F***ing cheat.
      wellboy
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 85 posts |
      Reply #26: Nov 19, 2009 12:22:41 am
      If the Europa ref/umpire guy was behind the goal tonight it would have been quicker that any video ref!
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #27: Nov 19, 2009 12:27:55 am
      Football sometime is like watch WWE. If the ref didnt saw something then he didnt saw it. Everyone else saw it but can do F**k all about it.
      Kop-Cnut
      • Forum David Johnson

• 228 posts |
      Reply #28: Nov 19, 2009 12:30:04 am
      Thats true . . Henry has robbed us what a c**t my stomach is in knots over it i dont remember the last time i felt this angry !
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,868 posts | 165 
      Reply #29: Nov 19, 2009 12:30:17 am
      A 4th official watching the game on video in real time, could have told the ref straight away,no game time would have been lost,Uefa/Fifa/Fa are all to blame,Football is being left behind by other sports who use this kind of technology very successfully.
      wellboy
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 85 posts |
      Reply #30: Nov 19, 2009 12:31:58 am
      Football is going to die a death. The FAI is going to lose millions over this, I hope they sue FIFA
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31: Nov 19, 2009 12:36:44 am
      There should be a 5th ref in the video room watch the match from all angles on the TV. And he can constantly talk to the ref that is on the pitch about what he saw. Its sample!
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #32: Nov 19, 2009 12:38:39 am
      Ya the fairs the ref could have missed it but what planet was the linesman on not to see it and also not to see two lads offside one who then impeded Dunne. I'd also like to know how the ref thought Henry kept the ball in. Alway knew when the draw was made we would be screwed by the Ref at some stage in the tie. At the very least tommorrow I'm expecting a grovelling apology from "Mr Nice Guy" Henry and the Ref to be suspended because if not I think FiFa is condoning cheating.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,868 posts | 165 
      Reply #33: Nov 19, 2009 12:39:56 am
      I think Henry will lose a lot of his endorsements/sponsors over this-who wants to be associated with a blatant cheat. ???
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #34: Nov 19, 2009 12:42:13 am
      He deserves it Maradona still gets called a cheat 23 years later after his hand of God and Henry did the same tonight and cheated us out of a World Cup.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #35: Nov 19, 2009 05:06:46 am
      I'm absolutely gutted tonight. Simple fact is we were cheated out of a world cup, or at least the chance to test our bottle in the penalties. I've never been a fan of goal-line technology and TMO's etc because I think the debate on decisions makes football far more interesting but when a referee and linesman can't see the most blatant of handballs you really have to wonder.

FIFA can rest easy, they got France to the world cup and in the process set the development of Irish football millions of euros and years behind. We needed this, and every boy in green did thir utmost best, but when everything and everybody is against you, there is only so far you can go.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Re: Video Referee
      Reply #36: Nov 19, 2009 08:43:07 am
      3 per team per match. Same system as hawk eye in tennis, if you get it right you get to keep that challenge and if its incorrect, you lose one. Works good and gets the crowd into it. Has my vote if its run like that.

Exactly what I was going to say. It's time that FIFA and everyone else realised that we have to move on.

They need to stop trying to introduce more officials behind the goals or whatever, because if you can only see the incident once there will be human error.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #37: Nov 19, 2009 09:27:43 am
      Feel for the Irish fans but that's part and parcel of football I'm afraid.

I think Henry should receive a long ban from FIFA, maybe 7 World Cup games?  But talk of replaying games every 5 minutes is a joke.   Video referee's - I'm still not overly sold on that idea.

Football matches have already been sterilised so much that it is losing it's soul. 

Injustices in football are what makes the game it is - what builds up rivalry etc.

Sometimes the world isn't fair. Why should football not be any different.

What is worse? The referee not seeing an incident last night - or a referee incorrectly applying the rules of the game when he condemned us to defeat against Sunderland?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #38: Nov 19, 2009 12:49:17 pm
      Ya JD easy enough to say but I think your reaction would have being a bit different if it was England, I bet the reaction was very similiar after the Maradona goal against England.

Also I wouldn't compare the two, Liverpool had a chance the following week to make up for this reffering incompetanace, Ireland don't for some of them players it is there last chance to play in a World Cup and their tears say it all.

Our economy and nation needed it because we are down in the heights of recession. It has cost our country millions this is no ordinary Premiership match. And JD I'm sure if England had being cheated out of the World Cup the exact same calls would be made.

It maybe football as you say it but I think football is losing its soul when a player can blatanly cheat and get away in it. It wouldn't happen in any other sport and it is time football woke up. But then again we are only a small nation so no one really gives a sh*t football and fifa have being shamed with this incident.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #39: Nov 19, 2009 02:54:20 pm
      Ya JD easy enough to say but I think your reaction would have being a bit different if it was England, I bet the reaction was very similiar after the Maradona goal against England.

No. I couldn't give a sh*t.

Also I wouldn't compare the two, Liverpool had a chance the following week to make up for this reffering incompetanace, Ireland don't for some of them players it is there last chance to play in a World Cup and their tears say it all.

Sorry mate you're wrong again.  Liverpool are far far more important to me than my national side.

And you can't have one rule for one and one for another.   The Liverpool one was far far worse.

In that case, the referee saw the incident and actually ignored the laws of the game.  For Ireland the referee merely didn't see the incident.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #40: Nov 19, 2009 03:19:24 pm
      Hope we knock France out.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,383 posts | 2823 
      Reply #41: Nov 19, 2009 04:18:28 pm
      I'm still against video referee's to be honest.

Mistakes and bad luck are just a part of the game. I think adding video refs would make football lose a hell of a lot of passion and that raw feeling.

Last night was unfortunate but my anger wasn't directed at the officials (even though they fu**ed up) but at Henry for cheating.

Luck evens itself out eventually. It will for Liverpool this season and it will for Ireland at some point soon.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #42: Nov 19, 2009 05:02:53 pm
      That game last night was the most important game those players will play and just because the referee and linesman were not up to scratch we will not be going to the world cup. Im a huge supporter of Liverpool Football Club and a proud Irish supporter. I watched the game against Sunderland and the game last night and you cannot compare the two. The decision against Sunderland was bad but this is catastrophic. Im seething with anger. How many million people were watching that game last night throughout the world. Millions. We did so well to get a playoff place, then Sepp f***in Blatter decides to help the big nations like France and seeds the playoff draw and now this sh*t. Who was that ref last night anyway. Blind c**t...
      Kop-Cnut
      • Forum David Johnson

• 228 posts |
      Reply #43: Nov 19, 2009 05:07:26 pm
      No. I couldn't give a sh*t.

Sorry mate you're wrong again.  Liverpool are far far more important to me than my national side.

And you can't have one rule for one and one for another.   The Liverpool one was far far worse.

In that case, the referee saw the incident and actually ignored the laws of the game.  For Ireland the referee merely didn't see the incident.
      You're deluded if you think that the beach ball incident was worse,yes that was a bad decision the ref wasnt sure of the rule and when i was on the match thread that day their were plenty of people that didnt understand the rule !And in that game we didnt deserve to win let alone draw.

But last night was possibly the greatest Irish performance of all time and that decision was far worse,It wasnt one bad decision but three,firstly when the ball was played it was offside then he handled it not once but twice and what makes it a worse decision is the fact that the ref and linesman failed to spot it,and then after the match to add insult to injury when Kilbane went up to the ref he said it was 100% no handball

For Liverpool players they have a chance to make up for that result as decisions like that in a 38 game season tend to balance themselves out this was a one off game that cost us millions of money that was promised to be invested at grass roots level something badly needed and robbed and cheated Given,Kilbane,Dunne,Finnan,Duff,Keane the greatest generation of players we have ever had out of their last world cup

And as for Liverpool being more important than your national side i understand that but are you honestly telling me you would not feel robbed if that happened to England,mabye its that we're a smaller nation and we get chances like this less often out of the last  7 major tournaments we have qualified for 1 the last time i cried during a match was at the end of the CL final in athens and i can honestly this feeling is 10 times worse, This is a far worse decision than the beach ball incident and i think 90% of people here will agree with me sorry JD. .

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #44: Nov 19, 2009 05:12:08 pm
      Thiery Henry was one of those players who was always going to be a classic player. Now I hope he is shamed. He admitted it was a handball. Said it was the ref's fault for not disallowing it.  A player openly admits and makes a statement that he cheated to win and FIFA still does nothing.  

Unreal. Why even have an organization or governing body if they wont do a thing about admitted cheats.

FIFA should Ban Henry from the Cup and it should be replayed. Eventually it will be like WWE wrestling, just distract the ref, turn him around and throw the ball into the goal.
      Kop-Cnut
      • Forum David Johnson

• 228 posts |
      Reply #45: Nov 19, 2009 05:21:16 pm
      John Delaney is after having a press confrence in Ireland where he said he wrote to the French FA and Fifa demanding a replay,but Yank LFC its not Henry who should pay the price any player would have tried it and if the ref had spotted it not one word would have been said about it.

The referee last night was only a junior official he has been a ref since 2001,At the end of the day Platini got exactly what he wanted and had it happened down the other end the rules would have been changed already firstly the draw was seeded then we draw the hardest team and then we get the second leg away from home 

Quick Reply