Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

England vs USA (Friendly)

Read 8021 times
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      England vs USA (Friendly)
      May 28, 2008 07:43:40 pm
      I was surprised that no one started a topic about the game but I guess not going to Euro a lot of you are still a bit bitter about the whole thing. The starting line-up for England is reported as.

--------------------James--------------------
      Brown------Rio----------Terry--------Cole
      Beckham--Lamps----Hargraves--Gerrard
      --------------Rooney---Defoe-----------------

Quite a interesting selection to consider he is playing Becks though he was very good in his last game vs KC but he continues the tradition of playing Gerrard out of position to suit Lampard.

Also hope for the USA one of the players from my local side get a run out, Maurice Edu who could use the playing time.
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Re: England vs USA (Friendly)
      Reply #1: May 28, 2008 07:46:39 pm
      I aint bitter at alll about it, England arent there cos there sh*t.

Just hope Gerrard takes it easy, he should be resting really, no need for a stupid freindlys when the season has just finished, when players should be resting and on holiday after a hard season.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #2: May 28, 2008 07:52:02 pm
      American starting line-up

------------------------Howard---------------------------

Cherundolo – Onyewu – Bocanegra – Pearce

Dempsey---------Clark--------Bradley------Beasley

------------Johnson ---------Wolff---------------------

Player to watch is Bradley, he was suppose to be going to the Premiership but the deal with the Brummies was canceled after they were relegated. He had a solid season in the dutch league scoring 15 goals.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: May 28, 2008 08:01:22 pm
      I was surprised that no one started a topic about the game but I guess not going to Euro a lot of you are still a bit bitter about the whole thing.

:D :D :D That gave me a good laugh that mate.

I'll be watching. Better than no footy I suppose. Mind you, these friendlies can sometimes lead you to drink!
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4: May 28, 2008 08:01:27 pm
      I was surprised that no one started a topic about the game but I guess not going to Euro a lot of you are still a bit bitter about the whole thing.

I agree. I know quite a few that are well bitter.. it's like, get over yourself  ::)

International friendlies do my head in on one hand; but on the other hand at least we (Wales) can play a few games without it being important like!

Wales are playing Iceland and I have no idea what Iceland are like at footy?! ???
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #5: May 28, 2008 09:25:58 pm
      Nice to see our Stevie scoring a goal !!  Nice pass by Gareth Bary as well  ;)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: May 28, 2008 09:28:45 pm
      Nice pass by Gareth Bary as well  ;)

Possible regular feature at Anfield next season? Nice bit of football by Barry and Gerrard there.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #7: May 28, 2008 09:32:37 pm
      Nice to see our Stevie scoring a goal !!  Nice pass by Gareth Bary as well  ;)
      well well well good ball to Stevie  ;D
      kennys88lads
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 118 posts | -4 
      Reply #8: May 28, 2008 09:52:20 pm
      well well well good ball to Stevie  ;D
      No doubt O'Neill will be adding another £1M to Barrys price tag, not very impressed with Bentley think he is a bit over rated. Gerrard got MOM go on Stevie!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #9: May 28, 2008 09:56:48 pm
      Bentley's done alright in the short time he's been I reckon. Every cross he's put in has ended up going to an England player. And he hasn't give the ball away.
      kennys88lads
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 118 posts | -4 
      Reply #10: May 28, 2008 09:59:18 pm
      Would you say he is world class? Wenger let him go no bother and that man can spot talent. Plus think he is a tit for sulking and pulling out of the U21s.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #11: May 28, 2008 10:06:27 pm
      Would you say he is world class? Wenger let him go no bother and that man can spot talent. Plus think he is a tit for sulking and pulling out of the U21s.

Not world class in my opinion, no. But I think he is a very good player and has great potential. I can see your mind is already made up about him....
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #12: May 28, 2008 10:08:08 pm
      Wales are playing Iceland and I have no idea what Iceland are like at footy?! ???

I have a question, do you rate Carl Robinson that much because I find it odd that he keeps getting called into your national side despite applying his trade here in Toronto.

As for the game, typical friendly, Gerrard looked very good and nice to see a cool finish and set up by Barry.......maybe a look into the future :D

kennys88lads
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 118 posts | -4 
      Reply #13: May 28, 2008 10:10:36 pm
      Not world class in my opinion, no. But I think he is a very good player and has great potential. I can see your mind is already made up about him....
      Just not a massive fan but hey if we sign him I back him all the way and hope I got it wrong.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #14: May 28, 2008 10:28:37 pm
      My personal opinion of the match was that we started off very predictably for the first 25 minutes or so. We were giving the ball away a lot, and throwing in too many long balls. However, Beckham still looked very good, Gerrard was the man in the middle of all the action (didn't put a foot wrong), and Defoe certainly has some talent. After half-time, we looked a bit on-edge to begin with, but then after 5 minutes, we seemed to get to grips with the game, thus securing a 2-0 lead (well done Stevie!). A definite improvement, and I want to see more of this England side from now on.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15: May 28, 2008 10:54:14 pm
      I have a question, do you rate Carl Robinson that much because I find it odd that he keeps getting called into your national side despite applying his trade here in Toronto.
      What do you mean applying his trade? Is he the midfielder? To be honest since being in Uni it's been hard to  watch Wales games - especially because we play on the same nights as England so it's almost impossible to get them to put it even on 1 small TV like ::) So I can't really comment! He didn't play tonight, but that doesn't really say anything because neither were Rambo or Earnie who are quality!
      I wouldn't say it's odd, people like Torres play in England but get called into the Spain squad.. they obviously have people over there watching him :)
      Would you rate him at all?

Oh yeah I meant to say, congrats to Stevie G, and why does Terry always look like he's been crying?!
      The "England" chants were doing my head in after about 20mins so I put it on mute and had music on. YES I know they were playing but still  :P haha.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #16: May 28, 2008 11:07:42 pm
      What do you mean applying his trade? Is he the midfielder? To be honest since being in Uni it's been hard to  watch Wales games - especially because we play on the same nights as England so it's almost impossible to get them to put it even on 1 small TV like ::) So I can't really comment! He didn't play tonight, but that doesn't really say anything because neither were Rambo or Earnie who are quality!
      I wouldn't say it's odd, people like Torres play in England but get called into the Spain squad.. they obviously have people over there watching him :)
      Would you rate him at all?

Well it is funny because MLS though I like it in reality is a 3rd rate league in the world and I find it funny they call upon him though I am not too familiar with many of the Welsh players. Then again England continue to call Becks in so maybe it isn't as odd as I think.

Robbo has been very good this season playing the holding role unlike last season he wasn't nearly as influential then he is this season. He is a top earner at the club ($325k a season) so he has to play as one of the best players.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #17: May 28, 2008 11:21:03 pm
      My personal opinion of the match was that we started off very predictably for the first 25 minutes or so. We were giving the ball away a lot, and throwing in too many long balls. However, Beckham still looked very good, Gerrard was the man in the middle of all the action (didn't put a foot wrong), and Defoe certainly has some talent. After half-time, we looked a bit on-edge to begin with, but then after 5 minutes, we seemed to get to grips with the game, thus securing a 2-0 lead (well done Stevie!). A definite improvement, and I want to see more of this England side from now on.

Yeah, agree about the first 25 mins or so mate. I think clueless is possibly the best word to describe eh?
      Definitely think the second half side was an improvement.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #18: May 29, 2008 09:35:55 am
      Did anybody notice "SHREK" throwing his teddy out of the cot when he got substituted, poor old Coleen wil have to get him a couple of "grannies" to play with until he calms down ! ;D
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #19: May 29, 2008 10:16:00 am
      1 thing i cant understand is if Beckham can get in why cant Owen,id take him over Rooney anyday.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #20: May 29, 2008 10:19:09 am
      Guys, look at Ched Evans' goal for Wales last night:
      http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HgOQHrxlj5U
      What a cracker!! Maybe a bit lucky.. but still great ;D
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #21: May 29, 2008 10:24:54 am
      Guys, look at Ched Evans' goal for Wales last night:
      http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HgOQHrxlj5U
      What a cracker!! Maybe a bit lucky.. but still great ;D
      that was as "lucky" as Ronaldo's which is up for the goal of the season on match of the day !
      an excellent well taken goal by Evans if he'd been Ronaldo it would have made the front page !
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #22: May 29, 2008 10:27:50 am
      Nice goal and may I add that it's a pretty cool name too!
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #23: May 31, 2008 03:51:43 pm
      What, Ched Evans? ;D

I agree Frizzby if Ronaldo or even Rooney had scored it it would've been a "wonder goal" and all over the front pages of the papers. But no cos it was 'just' a Welsh player it means f*ck all. >:(
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #24: Jun 06, 2008 12:05:51 pm
      Couldn't agree more, and the fact that Ronaldo's actually won goal of the season makes it even worse. There are several goals scored in the Premier League this season that are alot better than Ronaldo's.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #25: Jun 06, 2008 01:25:18 pm
      I also so the candidates for goal of the season and agree there we're better ones than Ronaldo's , the long range shots and lobs that go in are great if they do so but opprtunistic if not !
      Ronaldo's was a great bit of skill to execute but with a crowded 6yd box there was more chance of it missing than going in !

Quick Reply