Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

£20 million to one Villa

Read 8021 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: £20 million to one Villa
      Reply #23: Jun 16, 2008 09:00:06 am
      Quote from: solodee on Yesterday at 09:13:12 PM
      Forget Quotas no matter where they come from.  Are Arsenal running around trying to get English players on board?  They know EU legislation will not allow any restriction of EU players plying their trade anywhere in the EU.

If David Villa is available for £20m we should buy him as soon as possible.  He's already demonstarted he can play well with Nando so it's just a no brainer for me.  Are the funds available to make such a purchase?

I don't think we should offer any more for Barry than we have already offered.  If we pull out now O'Neil will have one very unhappy player on his hands.  This would be no more than he deserves given the infantile attitude he has adopted just because Barry wants a chance to play at the highest level rather than stick with the also ran team he is managing.

I'm still worried that once again we seem to be bargain basement buying and where this will leave us in the ever improving Premiership. 

Oldred I agree with you 100%, I think RAFA is wise enough not to pay any more for Barry,If Barry does not sign for us then ONeil will be the big time loser with a very disgruntled player on his staff.Regarding Villa if RAFA can squeeze the finance out of the yanks we should go for him. I did read on another sports page that Villa would love to play for us alongside Torres.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #24: Jun 16, 2008 09:37:55 am
      This is very much so, a massively debatable topic.  I can see where you are coming from JD. 

But as I've just mentioned in the Quota System Thread, Rafa could be worrying over the 5 by 6 rule that could be in place soon.

I know I would much rather go for David Villa.  But if it wasn't for this F***ing pressurising rule that isn't even in place it's casting doubt in Rafa's mind.  I'm sure.

We'll just have to wait and see over this one.  Let UEFA sort out this rule and see what they are actually going to do with it and then make a decision.  But if only it was that easy. 

We could be sitting on the fence for this one for a while actually, and I definitely hope we don't miss either boat given the chance.

The 6-5 rule will never be instigated for European players, for the rest of the world maybe!
      The European treaty simply doesn't allow such restriction's to be placed on EEC citizens!   (subject of a previous topic)
      Whether or not, you'd have to find a place for Villa....
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #25: Jun 16, 2008 09:50:17 am
      Have I been missing something the last few seasons... Is Barry that good???? GBP 20M????????????

Are we mad? ...how desperate do we look to pay that much for the lad... Gerrard saying he was desperate for his mate to join wasn't particularly bright? (Why on earth did Stevie come out in public and say that?? ...to pressurise Rafa... to screw-up Parry's negotiation?)

Xabi going isn't good news either...

All we hear about ...is Milner, Downing, Bentley and the star that is (not) Barry.

What happened to Villa, Quaresma, Berbatov, Silva??? PROVEN WORLD CLASS PLAYERS.

I love Rafa to bits... but things just are not adding up at the minute.

Are we that skint... is there that little money to spend in the kitty IF we don't sell Xabi...

IF SO...

Are we still dreaming of No.19 for next season??????

Coffee.

Wake.

Up.

Smell.

I.R.W.T.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #26: Jun 16, 2008 10:20:53 am
      While i agree with not spending 20m on Barry, why is it considered 'wasting money' on him while Scum can pay 18 million and 25 million for Carrick and Hargreaves respectively when i would take Barry over them anyday ???
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #27: Jun 16, 2008 12:17:53 pm
      I posted this in another thread but i think its catchy enough:

Screw Villa... We want Villa!

:D
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #28: Jun 16, 2008 01:24:43 pm
      this quota system at the earliest will not be in till the end of 2011 and even at that its already being ruled ilegal by the eu, at the stage barry will be in his 30's. a poor argument for signing barry over villa, villa is an established international superstar and has being consistenly brillant for spain over the last 5 years, barry still has it all to prove on the international scene and is actually older than villa, what suprises me most is that people on here are talking about villa now as if he has just burst onto the scene, is barry worth 20 million, no, is he worth 10 million, maybe, is villa worth 25million, yes, will he cost more, prob, villa is the type of player needed to bridge the gap for us, barry is the type of player that will keep us on the coat tails of the other 3 without ever catching them, thats the difference.
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #29: Jun 16, 2008 01:48:05 pm
      While I agree with not spending 20m on Barry, why is it considered 'wasting money' on him while Scum can pay 18 million and 25 million for Carrick and Hargreaves respectively when I would take Barry over them anyday ???
      exactly!

If we want Barry, then we have to pay the going rate.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #30: Jun 16, 2008 01:55:42 pm
      If we paid £10mil for Barry that would be more than enough hes nowhere near worth £20mil Villa are totally off the scale with that value,as for David Villa we should break the bank to get him but reading in the papers today it sounds as though he wants to stay in Spain with either Barca or Real.
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #31: Jun 16, 2008 01:58:22 pm
      villa is an established international superstar and has being consistenly brillant for spain over the last 5 years, barry still has it all to prove on the international scene and is actually older than villa, what suprises me most is that people on here are talking about villa now as if he has just burst onto the scene, is barry worth 20 million, no, is he worth 10 million, maybe, is villa worth 25million, yes, will he cost more, prob, villa is the type of player needed to bridge the gap for us, barry is the type of player that will keep us on the coat tails of the other 3 without ever catching them, thats the difference.
      I don't know why you are comparing David Villa and Gareth Barry.  One is a striker and the other a midfielder.

And what is it with buying so-called 'superstars'.  Andriy Shevchenko was a far bigger name than David Villa....and Chelsea paid 30 million for just two summers ago for the Ukranian.  I don't need to go into detail about how rubbish he has been in the Premiership.

And beyond knocking over an awful Russian defence, and struggling to beat Sweden, do we even have any evidence to suggest that Torres and Villa could play together?  Didn't Spain struggle to get to these Euro championships?  Mighty Northern Ireland humbled them in Belfast IIRC.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #32: Jun 16, 2008 02:27:47 pm
      I don't know why you are comparing David Villa and Gareth Barry.  One is a striker and the other a midfielder.

And what is it with buying so-called 'superstars'.  Andriy Shevchenko was a far bigger name than David Villa....and Chelsea paid 30 million for just two summers ago for the Ukranian.  I don't need to go into detail about how rubbish he has been in the Premiership.

And beyond knocking over an awful Russian defence, and struggling to beat Sweden, do we even have any evidence to suggest that Torres and Villa could play together?  Didn't Spain struggle to get to these Euro championships?  Mighty Northern Ireland humbled them in Belfast IIRC.

Please tell me your not comparing David Villa a striker who has prooven himself IMO and in his prime. To shevchenko who the majority of people who had a speck of footballing knowledge knew was just too slow for the premiership. Villa posses the pace power strength and the finshing to truoble any defence in the world. And the argument of the Russian defence is rather poor as its better than the majority of the premiership defence IMO, as is the sweedish defence. Besides if anyone here is like me in the slightest you just know if a player will do well theres something about Villa that tells me that he will do really well, as there was about Torres and as there was not for shevchenko. And Garath Barry and David Bently for that matter
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #33: Jun 16, 2008 03:04:20 pm
      Please tell me your not comparing David Villa a striker who has prooven himself IMO and in his prime. To shevchenko who the majority of people who had a speck of footballing knowledge knew was just too slow for the premiership. Villa posses the pace power strength and the finshing to truoble any defence in the world. And the argument of the Russian defence is rather poor as its better than the majority of the premiership defence IMO, as is the sweedish defence. Besides if anyone here is like me in the slightest you just know if a player will do well theres something about Villa that tells me that he will do really well, as there was about Torres and as there was not for shevchenko. And Garath Barry and David Bently for that matter
      rather than offering an objective assesssment, you sound more like David Villa's agent.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #34: Jun 16, 2008 03:29:51 pm
      I do find it funny that Rafa seems to be the only manager who is worrying about the potential of a law on players coming in when you have the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea don't seem to worry about it. I don't see Seth Blatters 6+5 rule coming in because of the EU laws but I believe this home grown player rule will be implemented at some point because it doesn't directly break EU law but this discussion is for another time.

As I said before I would much rather spend our funds on a attacking mid who will chip in with a fair number of goals and make goals as well. We seen Silva do that for Torres goal but people are still getting a semi on for David Villa (Can't say I blame him). As for the topic in discussion I think it is really tough to compare two players who play different roles because you know the player scoring goals will always win and this is why I much rather Villa. The side lacked a bit of cutting edge when Torres or Gerrard weren't firing so to add one more match winner to the mix would be good to see but I have a feeling unless he slows down with the scoring his price will continue to rise to silly amounts.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #35: Jun 16, 2008 03:57:51 pm
      rather than offering an objective assesssment, you sound more like David Villa's agent.

And what if i am :P

I just dont see how you can think that Villa wont do it, he's in the same team as torres and has more goals than him, and i no that its impossible to say torres didnt do well and Villa has looked just as impressive as nando in a spain shirt so i really... really dont see how you can argue that villa isnt good enough
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #36: Jun 16, 2008 07:24:22 pm
      I've been away over the weekend, so I've missed a lot, but if it is a choice between D.Villa, or G.Barry for £20m my vote goes for Villa. I have only seen him a couple of times in the Euros, but people have been raving about him for some time. If Stevie wants G.Barry to play along side him so much, then maybe he can put some of his considerable fortune towards the fee, and if Barry wants to play for LFC then maybe he can put some funds towards the fee too. Controversial and maybe daft, but my vote is for Villa.
      As for the EU employment laws, it has been said it is illegal, and any change in the law should and must not be retrospective, Inter Milan , or  F.C. Internazionale Milano were founded in 1908 and was open to non-italian, Are Uefa going to deign Inter their History?
      LFC LEGENDS
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | -1 
      • Ynwa
      Reply #37: Jun 16, 2008 10:56:30 pm
      Ok i would much prefer to see us sign David Villa for the 20mil thats bing suggested as he is the type of world class player we need to be signing to compete for the title which we have not even come near to! I would also love to see us sign Barry but not be taken to the cleaners by Villa 14mil at most!

It may be possible to sign both as If we could bargin Villa with 14 mil for from the Alonso deal and Finnan going there to replace Melberg at right back if that was possible we could get Barry.It also looks like Crouch is going to Poppy by the way harry is talking for a fee in the region of 10mil and if we were to make anyway near 5mil for Riise that hes being linked to Roma thats 15mil in that could goes toward an offer for David Villa and im sure that the yanks could dig into their pockets for 5mil or so if there anyway serious about things.Of course we have already spent 7mil on Dosenna if thats confirmed and where has that cash come from?

All of this is in a perfect world!!

But heres what i think after having a discussion with my brother he completely killed my hopes that we would sign David Villa as the fact is the last 3 prem titles have been won by Chavski and the Scum twice.When we look at the formation they played the majority of the time it was 4-5-1.Thats exactly the way Rafa ended last season as we all know its the best formation to bring results.Personally i belive its our best best formation aswell as we get the best out of our main attacking players with this formation.As if we were to sign Villa we would be playing 4-4-2 as not a chance we could leave Torres or Villa on the bench.With 4-4-2 we become weak in mid-field as Gerrard postional sense isnt good as we get the best from him in the last third of the pitch and he is wasted when he is restricted from doing this and Rafa wants a strong core.

Does anyone agree with me on this!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Reply #38: Jun 16, 2008 11:00:33 pm

I think the proof is in the pudding.  Torres and Villa play excellent together - much better than Torres-Kuyt or Torres-Crouch or Torres-Voronin.  There isn't much risk in this 'superstar' as far as I'm concerned.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #39: Jun 16, 2008 11:00:36 pm

But heres what I think after having a discussion with my brother he completely killed my hopes that we would sign David Villa as the fact is the last 3 prem titles have been won by Chavski and the Scum twice.When we look at the formation they played the majority of the time it was 4-5-1.Thats exactly the way Rafa ended last season as we all know its the best formation to bring results.Personally I belive its our best best formation aswell as we get the best out of our main attacking players with this formation.As if we were to sign Villa we would be playing 4-4-2 as not a chance we could leave Torres or Villa on the bench.With 4-4-2 we become weak in mid-field as Gerrard postional sense isnt good as we get the best from him in the last third of the pitch and he is wasted when he is restricted from doing this and Rafa wants a strong core.

Does anyone agree with me on this!!

Yea i think i said this earlier and said we will have to choose between the best players or the best formation and i decided that Villa was the way foward
      The French
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #40: Jun 16, 2008 11:29:16 pm
      I don't know David Villa very well, but some have told me there's no problem about his ability to play on the left.

If it's true, we can keep the 4-2-3-1.

I think that Rafa's tactics are about a great defence and some players who can "explode" and score goals on their own.

If we want to win something, those players should be very efficient. We do need a guy like David Villa, able to move mountains, we can't only rely on Gerrard and Torres to score goals.

About Babel, I think Kuyt must be the right winger last year and babel the super-sub. If Babel improves enough, he would take the Kuyt position and Kuyt would become the sub. Babel is still too much irregular, and not very good when he has played since the beginning of the match.

Masch           Barry ?
      Gerrard
      Kuyt                              Villa*
      Torres

subs : ___, ___, ___, ___, Babel, Pennant/Benayoun, Voronin/Nemeth

I think Babel can play in all the 3 most forward positions, on the wing and as a forward. But if Torres gets injured and that Crouch is gone, we can rely on Villa. Nemeth, Babel and Voronin aren't guarantees to score. Villa is, I think (he has enough strength to adapt to the Premier League.)

*or other very good left winger.

As we don't attack like Arsenal, and the individuals are much more important for us, I think we have to follow the Chelsea and Manchester example. I want players like Lahm or Villa.

How I wish we had better owners...
      « Last Edit: Jun 16, 2008 11:36:04 pm by The French »
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #41: Jun 17, 2008 12:04:34 am
      I think the proof is in the pudding.  Torres and Villa play excellent together - much better than Torres-Kuyt or Torres-Crouch or Torres-Voronin.  There isn't much risk in this 'superstar' as far as I'm concerned.
      I haven't seen enough of their partnership to be totally convinced, mate.  Under Spain's tactics, Torres hasn't been scoring much in recent seasons.  Obviously the tactics seem to suit Villa best (of the two strikers). 

Now I am a massive fan of Rafa's abilities, and so he may well get the best out of a Villa/Torres strikeforce. 
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #42: Jun 17, 2008 03:00:25 pm
      I haven't seen enough of their partnership to be totally convinced, mate.  Under Spain's tactics, Torres hasn't been scoring much in recent seasons.  Obviously the tactics seem to suit Villa best (of the two strikers). 

Now I am a massive fan of Rafa's abilities, and so he may well get the best out of a Villa/Torres strikeforce. 

But torres and villa are the best strike partnership in the euros, and thats not my opinion, thats fact in terms of number of goals scored so i still think that there a prooven strike force and rafa will make them better
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #43: Jun 17, 2008 03:07:27 pm
      Ill probably get ripped to pieces for saying this but .
      2 weeks ago just before the euros started Torres said that Spain dont play his preffered style of football ,So could Villa adapt to the style that liverpool and Torres played last season and is he going to affect theTorres we saw last season getting another 30 goals next season
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #44: Jun 17, 2008 03:11:02 pm
      But torres and villa are the best strike partnership in the euros, and thats not my opinion, thats fact in terms of number of goals scored so I still think that there a prooven strike force and rafa will make them better
      how long have they played together in the euros?  Two hours? 

You're not basing your opinion on a couple of hours of football are you.

Torres hasn't exactly been scoring many goals for Spain in the last few years.  So it can't be that great a partnership.

And if we change our style at Liverpool to suit Villa, won't that impact upon Torres contribution.

paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #45: Jun 17, 2008 03:13:03 pm
      Ill probably get ripped to pieces for saying this but .
      2 weeks ago just before the euros started Torres said that Spain dont play his preffered style of football ,So could Villa adapt to the style that liverpool and Torres played last season and is he going to affect theTorres we saw last season getting another 30 goals next season

I think he mean't the reason he scored so many this season was because of the pace of the premiership. So he may not set the Euros alight. I don't think he was having a dig at Spain's style of play.

I also think he mean't the whole teams style of play, not just Villa's. I don't think Villa coming to Liverpool would slow down our pace of play though.

Quick Reply