Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. If it were down to you, should we try to sign Michael Owen in January?

Yes
      (40.1%)
      No
      (53.3%)
      Don't care
      (6.6%)

Michael Owen (Manchester United > Stoke City)

Read 89988 times
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Michael Owen (Manchester United > Stoke City)
      Jun 15, 2008 11:28:21 pm
      Debate in here.  Not the David Villa thread please!!!
      « Last Edit: Mar 03, 2013 07:54:14 pm by RedPuppy »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Michael Owen (Newcastle United)
      Reply #1: Jun 16, 2008 12:04:08 am
      Goodness me. I thought we were actually linked to him then. I was about to thrash the nearest thing available to me.
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #2: Jun 16, 2008 12:07:40 am
      :lmao:

Still feel the same now?

:D :D :D
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #3: Jun 16, 2008 01:04:16 am
      All i ever think when i hear his name is imagine he never left.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #4: Jun 16, 2008 01:49:01 am
      Such a shame he left. I don't get angry when I remember this, I just feel disappointed things went that way. But signing him again would be a step back. No, thanks.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: Jun 16, 2008 06:01:53 am
      Goodness me. I thought we were actually linked to him then. I was about to thrash the nearest thing available to me.

:D same here. Goodbye and good riddens.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #6: Jun 16, 2008 09:37:00 am
      Such a shame he left. I don't get angry when I remember this, I just feel disappointed things went that way. But signing him again would be a step back. No, thanks.

Totally agree with you, he has seen his best days and now has to settle for a veteran status. I Hope this doesnt come to fruition.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #7: Jun 16, 2008 10:34:06 am
      ok here goes... i know you are all going to fire me down but rafa bought vorinin after all and he is not a patch on owen

newcastle are cutting wages.... owen is NOT happy so in all likleyhood he could be off
      he was offered to manure for 8 mill quite recently according to loads of reports

we sell vorinin for 2.5 mill, sell riise for 4 million..(both useless and not missed).. = 6.5 million   .....  this would most probably be enough to buy owen outright
      we all agree owen has lost some pace due to injuries, but he has improved his overall game
      you dont become a world class player, then totally lose it over your career due to a slight loss in speed, you generally add to your game, learn from other players and improve over time........

he has had a lot of injuries, so the burnout effect is lessened to a degree, strikers generally only last until about 31=-32.

that gives us 3 years of michael owen to use as a sub/backup or in the general team.... still a great player, and almost a LFC legend

he was greedy when he left for madrid...we all know this and he will always be known for this, (as keegan was (a traitor i remember he was called))

But for virtually nothing, how could we turn down a current England international striker, when we will be Very short of striking talent now kuyt has become a winger, vorinin is useless and crouch is wrongly being sold

(crossfire returns)...ha ha
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #8: Jun 16, 2008 10:58:24 am
      ok here goes... I know you are all going to fire me down but rafa bought vorinin after all and he is not a patch on owen

newcastle are cutting wages.... owen is NOT happy so in all likleyhood he could be off
      he was offered to manure for 8 mill quite recently according to loads of reports

we sell vorinin for 2.5 mill, sell riise for 4 million..(both useless and not missed).. = 6.5 million   .....  this would most probably be enough to buy owen outright
      we all agree owen has lost some pace due to injuries, but he has improved his overall game
      you dont become a world class player, then totally lose it over your career due to a slight loss in speed, you generally add to your game, learn from other players and improve over time........

he has had a lot of injuries, so the burnout effect is lessened to a degree, strikers generally only last until about 31=-32.

that gives us 3 years of michael owen to use as a sub/backup or in the general team.... still a great player, and almost a LFC legend

he was greedy when he left for madrid...we all know this and he will always be known for this, (as keegan was (a traitor I remember he was called))

But for virtually nothing, how could we turn down a current England international striker, when we will be Very short of striking talent now kuyt has become a winger, vorinin is useless and crouch is wrongly being sold

(crossfire returns)...ha ha

Interesting argument, however I cant see this happening because Rafa doesnt rate him as a team player that is evident, he obviously showed Rafa a lot of disrespect in choosing to go to Real and missed the boat seeing as we went onto win the Champs League that same season. His own personal fortitude came first over a team that really needed him, this constitutes treachery on scale beyond beleif and showed a lot of disrespect for the incoming coach.
      It is also quite evident that he is now very injury prone picking up knocks in one game or another which could leave him sidelined for a number of games.
      I also dont think his ego would allow him to just become a squad player which is what he will be but to conclude I would have to say this, my heart says yes but my head says no, I would and could forgive him for the way he departed but I just dont think he would fit in with the current regime.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #9: Jun 16, 2008 11:02:32 am
      I;m dissapointed he ever left.
      Michael Owen was Liverpool before he left.
      When you thought of Liverpool you thought of Owen.
      I think he would be an Ok signing, depending on the price.. 6.5mil maybe.
      But i'm not  sure
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #10: Jun 16, 2008 06:06:58 pm
      he's past his best days, and wouldn't contribute much to the club anymore, we would be better off signing somebody younger, and for that matter better.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #11: Jun 17, 2008 05:27:14 pm
      Rush ,Fowler even Sammy Lee have gone and come back i think i would welcome him back with open arms
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #12: Jun 17, 2008 05:40:36 pm
      After giving it some thought Ive come to the conclusion that I would buy him on the following reasons

1) Rafa will stick with his one man (Torres) up front. This would make it pointless to spend big on another striker for example David Villa
      2) Peter Crouch, as seems likely, is sold on. As we need cover for Nando
      3) we got him for around 5 million. As I said no point spending big money for a backup player. And Owen in fairness could bag a few important goals over the season and God forbid if we lost Nando for a few games Owen would be decent to come in   
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #13: Jun 17, 2008 07:09:53 pm
      Or we could keep the money from sales and put it toward buying a really quality winger, which is pretty much the last thing we need. Give Nemeth or someone a chance should Torres actually get injured.
      lfcreds27
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 138 posts | -5 
      Reply #14: Jun 18, 2008 01:58:42 pm
      I was sad and disappointed when Owen left but definately think he should not re-sign, he's lost his pace, which effectively was his game.

David Villa is the better option but will cost about 3x more.

Owen could have signed 2 years ago when he was linked with us but chose Newcastle and IMO made the right choice.
      KopQueen
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 526 posts |
      Reply #15: Jun 18, 2008 02:20:37 pm
      Michael ain't the same player anymore, and he did give us the finger not once, twice!! Mind you, you never can tell with a player - to me he's not enjoying player on Tyne Side....maybe....just maybe he'd perk up at his ' REAL HOME'.
      Rina15
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #16: Jun 20, 2008 02:01:33 pm
      Pssh, after he rejected us twice, I wouldn't want him coming back to us when now he has deproved.
      kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson

• 216 posts | 10 
      • Spirit of Shankly/Liverpool Supporters Union
      Reply #17: Jun 20, 2008 02:23:34 pm
      No thanks, he made his bed he can lie in it. Still respect Owen but in my opinion it Would be a backward step.
      Shoelessboy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      Reply #18: Jun 20, 2008 03:18:02 pm
      I dislike Owen purely for the saga before he left. 'I'll be signing a new contract soon.' Yeah with Real Madrid, just be honest Micheal
      liver1980
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #19: Jun 20, 2008 04:04:15 pm
      Every time his return is batted around i shiver. I bet he ends up at everton one day and rots in mid tabledom!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #20: Jun 20, 2008 09:47:50 pm
      Bring back Robert Bernard Fowler one more time go on Rafa please  ;D
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #21: Jun 20, 2008 10:22:09 pm
      Micheal it seems is looking and finding out if anyone is interested in him, at N'castle where he found to his cost that not all is rosy just because it's dressed up in black & white stripes and I think he wants to be nearer to home. lIf he came back here he would have to fight for his place and I still think he's got what it takes watching him nowadays I find he thinks more and his technique has improved and I would think he'd make a mark with us even though a lot of you's don't think he would, he may not have the pace anymore but he as the game intelligence and playing him just behind nando he may supprise a few people but having said all that I cannot ever see him coming here again and my own belief is he will end up at Blackburn or Everton....
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #22: Jun 20, 2008 10:59:06 pm
      i am the minority on this thread but i watched him from 15 to when he went to real and i would love to see him come home ,But only if he still has the red fire still burning

Quick Reply